[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Custom Made Knives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: seax.jpg (799KB, 3900x2284px) Image search: [Google]
seax.jpg
799KB, 3900x2284px
Anyone ever get a custom knife made? I want to get an Anglo-Saxon seax. Thinking of using this guy http://www.bigrockforge.com/
>>
File: AH-3379H.png (276KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
AH-3379H.png
276KB, 850x850px
Ive always dreamed of making one myself. Probably a big ass bowie or something along the lines of what you want op.
>>
>>34541984
Don't know about knives...
But I have always wanted a Cossack's Shashka.
Was also wondering if anybody could make me a KABAR straight-sword.
>>
>>34542545
Well fuck I just googled both and got both. Sweet.
Can anyone recommend what to avoid and any good sites that make them?
>>
>>34541984
I thought about buying a knife from rusdamask.ru but I'm out of cash right now.
People say that they make nice replicas of WWII knives
>>
>>34541984
i want to get one of these john neeman knives but im a perpetual poorfag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nojb-gFH4&t
>>
>>34542893
Go to more poorfag supermarkets. Eat cheap. Eat out less. Don't value the taste of your food, value the feel of the steel in your hand.
>>
>>34541984
I make custom knives. Buy custom knives.
>>
>>34545878
Seems legit.
Where does one find a knifesmith who would put up with high levels of autism and demand for ridiculously difficult to work steel types?
>>
>>34545907
not that (>>34545878) maker, but another.

In all honesty, if you started saying more than "I'd like it in X steel", I'd decline your commission. most decent smiths I know would too. Because they have a pretty refined sense of when its going to be more hassle than return.

Unless its one of the following phrases:

"I want pattern-welded steel"
"I would like traditional wrought spine with high-carbon steel edge"
"I'd like it made in a steel suitable for X use".

don't start telling them how to do their job. I do not want a customer coming to me saying they want 1095 and 15n20, or CS70 and AEB-L, or they want it in this or that alloy. I don't want him telling me how to shape the handle, or how to tool the sheath. By all means provide me with source material, and say "I'd like it like this". Do not start telling me how to do it like that. I want to know what size, what source material you want in particular, and I want to know what materials you'd like for the handle. that's about it.

I don't go onto a plane, and start telling the pilot that I expect him to cruise at 25,000 feet, or tell my surgeon I want a lateral incision on the site instead of vertical. I do not want someone telling me how to do my job.

And most smiths will say the same thing.
>>
>>34546015
Ah, of course.
Would you be more comfortable with a very specific use case and set of durability requirements that realistically can only be satisfied by a single steel, or is that also liable to get me turned away for being a little shit?
>>
>>34546152
Just tell them what you actually need and let their years of expertise pick the steel rather than your hours of internet research.
>>
>>34546208
that's pretty much exactly my view.

If it were a homogeneous steel, I personally would pick one of 3 or 4 particular alloys which I like to work in. Another smith might pick 2 of those, and 2 others. A third smith might pick the two that I dont and another two. and so on.

Each of us would produce a blade that performs to the criteria. each might use an entirely different set of processes.
>>
>>34545907
You have to find someone that works in that particular material.
Bespoke, one off designs made of expensive powder steels, Nilox, Vanax etc are accordingly very bespoke prices!

Thing is when you're smithing is that you tend to graduate towards certain steels you 'like' to work with, I mean personally I can go through the motions of making stuff out of 440C with all the bells and whistles (multiple tempers, multiple cryo cycles etc) that really performs well- but no one really wants to pay the 1000's it costs. So I tend to work in high alloy tool steels, some of the low alloy high carbon steels as the prices are still reasonable, the work is do-able in a decent time frame and will have a product that exceeds their expectations.
>>
>>34541984
knife making is such a cool hobby. Too bad it's a dying art.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.