[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Police thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

Anyone here a cop? I want to be a criminal investigator, but have a required 3 years minimum on patrol. Can anyone give me any insight, advice, etc on what it's like and what I should/should not do?
>>
>>34539127
don't get killed
>>
>>34539528
Can confirm, this would damage your chances.
>>
>>34539528
I'm not a cop but I think this guy is on to something.
>>
>>34539528
>>34539537
>>34539547

Good advice. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>34539127
make sure when on patrol to tie your shoelaces so as not to trip when in pursuit of a suspect
>>
Former bacon here. If you want to get into that field be REAAAAAAAAALY sure you can handle it mentally. A lot of recruits and current cops don't understand the MONUMENTAL stress the job has on you brain, especially emotionally. You will deal with shitheads and assholes all day every day. You will see dead bodies, you will try to settle arguments between drunk and crazy people. You will deal intimately with mental illness. You will be widely hated by a lot of the general public.

After awhile it does indeed take a toll. For me it was hard to "turn off" my cop mentality. I started treating everyone like a suspect, even my own family, and it almost cost me my wife and kids. Luckily I was self aware enough to realize that I was becoming an infufferable prick, quit after 6 years, and voluntarily checked myself into a psych ward.
>>
File: 165165431546.jpg (308KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
165165431546.jpg
308KB, 1280x720px
>>34539127
>he wants to be a LEO in this political climate

God bless and good luck anon.
>>
>>34539127
Police uniforms would be 300% more aesthetic if the pants weren't the same color as the shirt. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>34539707
I'm in a relatively safe city that's only about 3x3 miles. It's stuck right in the middle of a bigger city, and the two departments seem to work separately.
>>
>>34539667
fuck off you were always a psycho they just gave you a shiny badge and a gun. i been with lapd for 15 years and i havent lost my rocker... you are there to protect and serve. thank god there is one less loony on the force.
>>
keep your nose clean. stay out of trouble. get a college education. make contacts with your local agencies.
>>
>>34539667
>former bacon here
Sure thing
>>
>>34539127
>>34539127
Be a good patrolman to move up. Make sure your reports are good, don't half ass shit.

Basically be a good employee to have the opportunity to promote, it's not different from other jobs.
>>
File: 1449119788790.jpg (2MB, 4500x3004px) Image search: [Google]
1449119788790.jpg
2MB, 4500x3004px
>>34539528
>>34539707
It is literally the safest time to be a LEO ever
>>
>>34539724
they should all be day-glo safety colors instead of this pseudo-SS black crap.

Visibility = deterrence
>>
>>34539127
Not me thankfully.just earned my phd and I dont suffer from power tripping issues.
>>
>>34539791
fuck yeah glad to see them wearing black ninja suits and not multicam
>>
>>34539791
When was the last time you saw the news anon?
>>
>>34539127
I've been a cop in a major municipality for about 4 years now.
My advice is to have some hobbies that take your mind off the job and help you decompress and deal with stress in healthy ways.
No only will you deal with literally the worst people in society on essentially a daily basis, but you can also expect to be heavily scrutinized by your superiors, the press, and everyone with a google law degree.
I'm still relatively new to the game, but even in the amount of time I've been a police officer, many things have changed.

Just be prepared for a huge amount of leeway in how you do your job, followed with everyone monday morning quarterbacking you, especially now that body cameras are a thing.
>>
File: 7a19f7d0490c533e39f8405b221b385b.jpg (692KB, 2048x1024px) Image search: [Google]
7a19f7d0490c533e39f8405b221b385b.jpg
692KB, 2048x1024px
I'm think about pursuing a job in riot control, what are the qualifications?
>>
>>34539127
I am a nypd cop. With about 1.5 years on so iam pretty fucking fresh. I don't know what kind of stress these faggot are talking about. You are not chasing perps 24/7 and if you are acting like a cop off duty then you have other problems.
>>
>>34541466
What borough?
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 295x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 295x300px
>>34539127
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWx6IsqPUKk
>>
>>34539127
just be a vigilante like batman

except you kill them so they wont do bad stuff ever again
>>
Cop here. Go be a firefighter. Paid more, liked by the public more, work less, get to drive a cool truck.
>>
>>34539754
You're either full of shit or work in Mayberry
>>
>>34539127
You should try and find a patrolman to talk to at whatever department you're looking at applying for.
Ask them to give you a non bullshit answer as far as supervision, types of calls and advancement.

I've been at my department for two years and have realized that if you aren't in a special clique, you'll never get into any special assignments like drug task force or detectives.

The quality of people I deal with is infuriating and depressing. They are worthless human beings and all they do is live off the tax payers, breed and commit crime.

Your hopes of influencing the community will quickly degrade into contempt of people who are too stupid to live.
>>
>>34542212
How to into fire fighter?

Serious.
>>
>>34542212
In what world do firefighters make more money than cops? The ONLY place I could see this being true is FL or SC since cops make garbage money in those states.
>>
You could always look at the fed side as well. Fed 1811's make insane money and there are a lot of options as far as agencies go. Don' just shoot for the big 3 (FBI,ATF,DEA) since you pretty much need an MBA and 3 years active military experience to even apply, there are lots of smaller agencies where you can have lots of fun and do some cool stuff.
>>
>>34539127

go to local police department website

look for "citizens academy"

its a 6-9 week class/meeting thing 1/week for 3 hours and all the departments talk about what they do, get to visit firiing range & do a ride-along with patrol, of course you'll get dumped if they have a call

some places have 1/year some 2/year etc
>>
>>34542941
>you'll get dumped if they have a call
Sort of depends on the agency. My agency had a 60 mile pursuit on a day we had 2 ride alongs and somehow they were there at the end of the chase.
>>
>>34541450
Most small agencies don't have a team and don't train for it. Most larger agencies have a team that's part time that trains regularly. A few of the largest agencies have a full time team, generally supplemented by part timers.
>>
>>34542902
Should have specified im a FL cop
>>
>>34543665
What part of our shithole state

How much of your department is devoted to being highwaymen for those fine gibs
>>
File: 1497046062740.jpg (142KB, 900x879px) Image search: [Google]
1497046062740.jpg
142KB, 900x879px
>>34539791
I really dislike most cops. No matter how respectful or cooperative I am, 75% act worse than actual niggers and abuse the fuck out of your authority.

>Driving a nice car?
stole it
>walking around?
you fit this vague description

t. half nigger
>>
File: IMG_7625.jpg (738KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7625.jpg
738KB, 1024x819px
>>34539791
That really depends where you live anon
>>
>>34539791
That's Secret Service, specifically their CAT team, not normal cops.
Just btw. You can see marine one landing in the window's reflection
>>
>>34547154
>receive 10 calls today, nothing too serious.
>shop lifting, assault, and the rest car accidents.
>out of those ten calls seven involved niggers.
>before I became a cop, I hadn't realized there were any black people in my city.

GEE I FUCKING WONDER?
>>
2 years in a Washington suburb. It's been great honestly, nice change of pace after being mega-autist in college.
Mostly Microsoft employees and trust fund kids round these parts; most calls are for property crimes or domestic disputes.
>>
>>34539822
>just earned my phd

Yep I'm sure that Gender Studies degree will open tons of doors for you.
>>
Might as well ask here, where does a guy get his guard card? Fresh out of highschool looking to get into armed security, theres tons of places online but which is the best? Thanks
>>
>>34542941
I did that, it was pretty fun. Ride along was with a QT3.14 girl cop, didn't have a beenus and everything. She was cool.

One night they passed around some weed for us to see, were very careful about getting it back.
>>
>>34547487
Doesnt matter at all because security guards are a bad joke that nobody respects whatsoever.
>>
>>34547519
not him, but who cares if people respect you if you make good money
>>
>>34547535
him, this, i need money
>>
>>34547535
Matters in shitty areas cause they'll kill you or beat your fuckin ass and nobody will give a fuck. Cops will laugh at you or look down their nose at you as they take the report. Money is usually trash too unless you have good experience and work for a good company.
>>
>>34539127
I've been a patrol cop for 6 years now. Ask me whatever and/or tell me to go fuck myself.

>>34539667
If you stew over whatever happened at work, it'll get to you, so just leave it in your locker and go home. Nobody ever believes me when I (very rarely) tell them I'm a cop because "I act nothing like one"
That said: I was told this once in Academy, and it stuck with me
>I've never had a bad day at work because of anything a perp did or said to me, but I've had a lot of bad days.
95%+ of the issues I can say I have at work come from other cops and bosses. We do it to each other. Probably just the department culture here, though.

>>34539792
I was literally first on scene for a homicide that happened not 30 feet from me, around a corner, while wasting away on a "High Visibility Fixed Post" to deter crime and be "Omnipresent"
It's bullshit and doesn't work. Perps are more afraid if they know you're out there, but don't know where you're lurking, or if you're watching them. Granted, I work in the deep hood, so the atmosphere is different.

>>34539886
This X2

>>34541466
New academy a shit.
Also, you should be able to hear jobs coming over the radio in your sleep. All of you new guys are completely reliant on the smartphones, it pisses me off.

>>34542212
This X2, but I forgive you if you don't want to be a land pirate.

>>34542311
Maybe if you know them personally, otherwise they'll just give you "by the book" professional answers. You're more likely to get full honesty on 4chan.

>>34547354
Savages come in all colors. I've developed a particular hatred for privileged white hipsters who always come at me with a holier than thou attitude.
I'm more likely to get respect from a hood black than a white hipster, frankly.
>>
>>34547636
I'm OP, what part of work do you like best? Do you know the requirements for criminal investigator? How "dangerous" is the job? I'm in CO, so it's a fairly safe state. Any tips/questions I should ask? What is the interview like and how hard are the tests? What do they ask people they interview about you?
>>
>>34547770
>what part of work do you like best?
90%+ of the time I get to do whatever I feel is necessary, however I feel is best, to do whatever I need to do in my sector, with my only instructions maybe being "Keep a close eye over there for anything" or "Watch out for this guy on the wanted flyer"
The only person watching over my shoulder is my partner, and we mostly think alike in terms of what and how to do things.
>Do you know the requirements for criminal investigator?
Multiple units in my department do investigations, they all have varying requirements. Generally they expect you to have a few years of patrol under your belt and a good disciplinary record. Pre-existing experience helps, but they'll train you from scratch.
>How "dangerous" is the job?
My car got T-boned and wrecked earlier this week responding to a job.
A couple of years ago, my car came about two inches from being head-on rammed by a stolen car. He lost control halfway down the block and slammed into parked cars.
I've also had everything from diapers to bricks thrown at me from housing project windows, plus of course the inevitable fighting.
It has danger - yes, but most of it is mitigated by being alert, vigilant, and tactically sound.

>Any tips/questions I should ask?
It seems like it might not matter now, but research the retirement benefits of whichever jobs you look at - What percent you get at how many years, if it has a cost of living increase or not, if you can vest out, and if they calculate it based on your best year, an average, or your base pay.

>What is the interview like and how hard are the tests?
They ask you about whatever weak points you have in your background or your application. In my case, it was that I had a series of jobs where I only worked for a few months before quitting, or in one case, getting fired.

>What do they ask people they interview about you?
If you do drugs, your moral character, if you live/work/etc where you say you do, etc.
>>
>>34547893
I'm in college now, and my classes aren't very buddy buddy. Is there a chance they will talk to a previous professor or classmate? I'm afraid they will get someone who doesn't know me/gives them misinformation.
>>
Any tips for working the jails? Sheriff's Department I want to get on with starts all the deputies in the county jail, they're usually there for at least two years before going out to patrol.
>>
>>34548010
For the most part, they'll ask your family, your past/present bosses, and whoever you put down as references.
They will look on your facebook and any other social media you have, though, so make sure you're not being a drunk idiot or smoking blunts in any of your pictures, and it's probably wise to unfriend anybody you know who's like that.
The best thing you can do with your FB or social media is to make it look like you're the most boring, straight edge person alive.
Keep it that way after you're hired too.
>>
>>34548088
I probably am the most boring, straightedge person alive. What is academy like? Should I finish college first, or after I go through academy?
>>
>>34539127
Bamp
>>
>>34547893
Not OP or the person you were responding to, but do they ask about underage drinking when they interview you to be a policeman officer?
>>
>>34539127
anyone know how polygraphs work or what its like being subjected to one?
>>
>>34548120
Not him, but it doesn't hurt to finish college first. I can't think of any departments that actually require a four-year degree but most will give a substantial pay bump for having one and it'll make you a bit more competitive which helps a lot when you're competing with guys who have military or prior LE experience. If your college has a police department see if they have student positions there, my college PD is filled with officers who used to work at the department I want to get into plus others.
>>
>>34542191
So the punisher?
>>
>>34547636
>work in the deep hood
Any stories? Have you ever pulled a gun to someone?
>>
>>34548745
don't volunteer shit
if no one else can say it happened it didn't happen
they want you to walk your ass into their hands
>>
>>34548767
>what its like being subjected to one?
i had an old timer do mine. we briefly spoke then he told me very detailed instructions on the pre test paperwork. i filled out the paperwork then started the test.

desu just be honest with everything you can remember, departments dont care if you stole shit years ago but lying will get you DQd.

i stole stuff from previous employers and stores (years ago when i was 17-19) and was still hired. take the chance to be DQd for your past crimes (not likely) rather then get insta DQd for lying.
>>
Sorry, had to step out for a bit.

>>34548120
Half of your instructors have hard-ons for Full Metal Jacket and want to be like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman and will bust your balls, the other half will genuinely try to teach you how to be a good cop. Just play the game and try to learn what you can.
Do you intend to make a career of being a cop? If you are, you don't really need to do any more college than necessary to get in and get to the rank you want to become. If you plan to make moves elsewhere to another job shortly after getting in (ie: you have a state-wide pension system, or your pension/time in rank carries over), better to finish college first probably, since you won't have much time to once you're working.

>>34548745
They didn't ask me, but I'm sure they would if they had reason to believe you did.
There's a fine line to tread between telling the truth (being caught in a lie is auto-DQ) and "what they don't know won't hurt them" - it's up to you to determine which side of the line you fall. If you've had anything put down on paper at school, the hospital, by the police or any gov't agency about you drinking while underage, they will most likely find out, so don't lie.

>>34549028
Multiple times. Every time I have to go on a project or low income apartment building roof, I have my gun drawn. Nothing good happens on rooftops. Drew down on a guy with a pit bull wrapped in chains once (a fighting dog), slammed the door on another once when I opened it and saw a snarling pit hurdling towards me.
Drew on a crackhead who I caught with the needle literally in his arm (bet you didn't know you can IV crack) who -really- wanted to reach into his pocket and show me his ID (in the same pocket as a knife) despite repeated orders to show me his hands - stopped once he saw the gun.
Went to a domestic dispute, girlfriend bloodied outside saying "He's in there with a knife" - Partner and I went in with taser and gun drawn, he dropped it the second he saw the taser's laser.
>>
>>34549074
what about like false positives though? The idea of polygraphs gives me nervousness similar to when a police officer rides beside or behind you on the highway.
>>
>>34539127
It fucking sucks. That's as simple as I can put it. Worst job in America.

For example today I had to deal with a 67 year old alcoholic who by the look of it hadn't cared for his feet, or the entire bottom half of his legs, for the past decade. The fire department are lazy assholes and wouldn't transport him so me and my partner had to load his fat ass into the back of our tiny patrol car. At some point while moving his 250lbs of dead weight some of his dead skin brushed off and I fucking breathed it. I fucking breathed his disgusting ass MRSA infected dead skin flakes.

That's just an example from today. Don't even get me started on how fucking nasty transients are. You can't even imagine what a hobos feet smell like (you'll have to search their shoes, and in my department's case remove their socks prior to jail processing because apparently you can kill yourself with socks). Seriously you smell worse things than you see on this job, and you see some shit. I don't care how many fucking dead bodies I see, I just don't want to smell another one again in my life. Aaaaaand guess what type of call I just jynxed? Not looking forward to tomorrow...

The smell thing is one aspect among many. There's also traffic control during summer, never getting a lunch break, mandatory holdover, subpoenas always seeming to land on vacation days planned years in advance, oh and then there's the assholes.
>>
>>34549392
>what about like false positives though?
dont know much about em. the first few questions are to judge and get a baseline for your current nerves so being nervous isnt a excuse to fail imo.

he had me close my eyes and it helped stay calm.
>>
File: dragging-animal.jpg (128KB, 800x592px) Image search: [Google]
dragging-animal.jpg
128KB, 800x592px
In the early stages of CPD. Have a feeling it's going to take a while, my lotto # was shit. Wish me luck, anons.
>>
>>34549436
>Have a feeling it's going to take a while
it will.
>>
>>34539667
>>34539886
sounds a lot like the 3 years I spent driving a bus for city transit
>>
>>34549392
The point is that even if you're nervous while you're answering questions, you'll become -even more- nervous while lying, so unless you panic for a second trying to remember your own name, you don't have to worry about it.
Best thing you can do is to just recognize that polygraphs aren't scientific and that they're just trying to scare you with how super-duper-ultra-see-right-though-your-soul effective their polygraph supposedly is, keep your answers simple, and don't volunteer any more info than asked for.

>>34549402
>The fire department are lazy assholes
Amen to that. Rushing to go back to the firehouse to get back to cooking in their city-funded kitchens.
Protip for the smell: Vicks vaporub under the nose, and throw baking soda in and on their disgusting shoes and socks. Shit, if they're really bad, I make them rub baking soda on their feet.

>>34549436
Why the hell would you want to go to a big shitty in this day and age? Turn back while you still can. Find a county, state, suburb, or rural job.
>>
>>34549269
No record of any of that anywhere, no siree. Good to know.
>>
>>34549539
>Protip for the smell: Vicks vaporub under the nose,
if the smell is still overpowering DO NOT pot the vaporub IN your nose. oh god it burns
>>
>>34539754
>LAPD criticising other police

Don't you have a minivan full of Asian women to shoot at?
>>
>>34548061
As a CO working in "special housing"!at a high level facility...it's ok if you want experience but that experience might be shitty. Between the staffing issues (seriously, who brings in dope to inmates for $1,000?) and the favoritism...it's tough. If you have a good Sherriff and supervisors or your in the right clique you might be ok. The inmates won't really bother you once you learn how to treat them and ignore the constant "I hope you die on your drive home you motherfucking bitch". The staff issues are what'll drive you crazy.

I have heard jails have a lot more fights than prison because they don't group inmates the same way but if you aren't afraid to spray someone and gently place their face on the floor then that won't bother you.

Don't fuck the inmates. Don't bring in anything for them. Do your rounds. Don't let them intimidate you. Don't be friends with them but be respectful. And for the love of god if someone's being stabbed shoot the damn gun or wait for backup. Don't be a hero.
>>
>>34549750
>>
>>34539667
>Says he's in a psych ward
>Says he was a cop
>>
>>34550434
Dorner lives!
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.