[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 19

File: IMG_0809.jpg (419KB, 900x609px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0809.jpg
419KB, 900x609px
/k/ let's pretend for just a moment that you've got the funds to build a fort in the middle of nowhere. The only two caveats are that you have to make it totally off the grid so no electricity aside from that provided by solar panels and windmills, no city water so you've got to rig a well to pump water to the buildings inside your fort, no electric lights so you're using either candles or oil lamps, and wood cook stoves for hot water and cooking. Now what weapons would you stock? Would you have a troops barracks for singles and an apartment type complex for families? Would you have an ammunition factory?
>Fort looks like pic related
>Has apartment complex for families
>Has barracks for troops
>Attached mess hall for troops
>Everything is heated by wood cook stoves
>Hot water from wood cook stoves
>Buildings have their own well powered by a windmill that draws water into a water container above the buildings to provide pressure
>Candle sconces and such for light as well as a supply of beeswax candles
>Stockpiled with dehydrated or freeze dried food
>Seeds stored
>Tractor with implements
>Various live stock
>Compressed air powered ceiling fans
>Nice, rustic furniture in homes and barracks
>Maximizing space with picnic tables in mess hall
>Each home can have whatever books they like
>Troops have a library for off time

Weapons:
>FAL SLR
>F1 SMG chambered in .45 ACP grenadier receives one with an xm148 grenade launcher
>M1919 with pistol grip, buttstock, and flash hider from SLR and chambered in 7.62x51
>M97 Trench gun
>1911
>SLR Bayonet
>Full tang Bowie with knuckle guard and skull crusher on pommel

Carriage mounted water cooled machine guns
>M2 .50 Cal
>M1928 chambered in 7.62x51

Field equipment:
>SADF Pattern 70 web gear except fitted to each weapon that the troop carries
>M1 Helmet
>USGI canteen with cup
>Stainless steel British mess tin
>M1926 KFS set
>Tommy cooker
>Chest rig for each individual weapon
>Plate carrier from same material as SADF P70 Gear
>>
>>34536948
Rations:
British ww2 24 Hour Rations with freeze dried coffee
Uniform:
>USGI ERDL Jumgle Fatigues with some cut down into shorts
>USGI OD fatigues same style as ERDL
>OD T Shirts
>OD Boxers
>OD Socks
>M43 Double Buckle boots dyed black

PT Uniform:
>OD Green Undershirt
>OD Green Silkies
>US Made PF Flyers
>>
File: roblin_sub.jpg (290KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
roblin_sub.jpg
290KB, 1024x683px
>>34536948
>let's pretend for just a moment that you've got the funds to build a fort in the middle of nowhere.
>Realize that's a stupid idea in 2017 and buy pic related instead.
>Gather a small crew of like-minded thinkers.
>Call myself Captain Nemo.
>Profit.
>>
>>34537042
>Sink and die when you realize you can't pilot a submarine
>>
>>34536948
>no electric lights
Why not?
>wood cook stoves for hot water and cooking
Again, why?

>Now what weapons would you stock?
Ar's.
>Would you have a troops barracks for singles and an apartment type complex for families?
Jap Clan system. Communal familial housing buildings are available and are populated as more side branches are made.

>Would you have an ammunition factory?
No, but we would harvest nitrates from human waste.

Basically, I'm making myself a feudal lord.
>>
File: 222w-52.jpg (47KB, 819x459px) Image search: [Google]
222w-52.jpg
47KB, 819x459px
>>34536948
OK, so my outer defensive line will look something like this...making the best possible use of local terrain and materials.
>>
File: sW4iy.jpg (243KB, 1482x900px) Image search: [Google]
sW4iy.jpg
243KB, 1482x900px
>>34537367
The castle is double curtain walled...
>>
File: pol290807_img02.jpg (36KB, 492x409px) Image search: [Google]
pol290807_img02.jpg
36KB, 492x409px
>>34537429
Except the walls are made of stone filled gabions...
>>
>>34537452
IS that steel or rope?
>>
File: maars_killbot_with_hard_on.jpg (332KB, 800x925px) Image search: [Google]
maars_killbot_with_hard_on.jpg
332KB, 800x925px
>>34537452
With Claymores, Barretts, RPGs, and stuff.
>>
>>34537498
Rebar, I'd imagine.
>>
>>34537358
Because they're unreliable if shtf. What happens when you can't get replacements?
>>
>>34536948
Pretty much literally just an ouvrage tbhwy.
>>
>>34536948
Don't forget septic system
>>
File: 5801652230_a101878093_b.jpg (293KB, 1024x686px) Image search: [Google]
5801652230_a101878093_b.jpg
293KB, 1024x686px
>2017
>Not living in behind the inner walls of an actual fortress
You guys need old Europe in your lives.
>>
>>34537662
>Because they're unreliable if shtf
But I have the funds to build a fort in the middle of nowhere, so I have a couple acres of parabolic troughs and a sterling generator. And if I don't get enough sunlight or a higher than normal usage is planned, I can always use any fuel to generate electricity because it's a sterling generator.
(That's about a megawatt of power)
I have all the power necessary.
>>
>>34537941
>Europe
>having guns
Choose one
>>
>>34537662
>What happens when you can't get replacements?
Forgot the second half.

>light
Diodes don't burn out from use, they burn out from spikes. So if I stop caring about efficiency, then led's can last forever. Additionally, I can buy a couple thousand and be set for effectively forever.
Or I could just pony up the extra couple hundred and bulk order a few hundred led bulbs and not care.

>cooking
I buy a couple dozen heating elements and then don't care.
>>
>>34537679
>not just routing waste into a hydroponics system
Its you can't into sustainability.
>>
>>34538037
>Europe
>Not having guns
Just get sports/hunting/collector license and you're set.
>>
>>34538041
Maybe I'm just an autist, but when I picture a TEOTWAKI fort, it's entirely self sufficient and not reliant on any type of fuel or electricity. I mean, you could always replace the Tractor with horse drawn implements and just live like the Amish.
>>
>>34538065
>Not using composting toilets
>>
File: Mr T on zombies.jpg (140KB, 720x573px) Image search: [Google]
Mr T on zombies.jpg
140KB, 720x573px
I'm assuming half the homos in this thread are like me, in that they read the Zombie Survival Guide when they were in middle school and have spent the rest of their lives periodically wondering the best way to survive a Level 4 outbreak.

If this is not the case, and humans are the primary threat to your would-be haven, you would do well to remember that physical engineering will be ancillary to the social and political work of assembling a self sustaining society.

If this is the case, here's my plan to survive zombies.

>find remote stretch of triple canopy rainforest somewhere like Guyana or Suriname that's too poor to build logging roads
>find a bunch of other retards who think like me
>find nearest indigenous people in said area, and figure out as much as I conceivably can about hunting and foraging in the forest
>when shit goes seriously wrong, use a motor sailboat to leave a harbor in the Eastern Seaboard or the Gulf of Mexico, cross the Caribbean, and make it up the river near to the site I have selected for the hideout
>if possible, construct initial buildings and supply caches before this point
>construct all buildings out of locally sources branches and vines, and have them hidden in the canopy of the jungle, so as to be concealed from both air and ground
>use rope ladders to travel from building to ground, as necessary to forage
>for zombies, bring .22s and .22 suppressors, for hunting, shotguns with everything from birdshot to slugs
>in case any humans show up, try and pick up some AKs and PKMs in Venezuela or Haiti
>bring a few solar panels, some M-disks full of shit, and a redundant supply of cheap netbooks, loaded with any information that looks useful, along with a shitload of hentai
>bring radio and triangulation equipment to keep an eye on the outside world, and assemble a rough map of nearby settlements and forces
>if possible, attempt to grow concealed gardens in the jungle like the MCP did to avoid the British back during the Malayan Emergency
>>
>>34538086
>Have euro gun license
>Local constabularies visit regularly to ensure my sphincter-pressure activated biometric trigger guards are in place
>Get too relaxed one day and anal pressure subsides
>BOOM BOOM CRASH
>The constable, a stray dog, one of my hoisting mates, and the local polo team all take turns pillaging my anus so that I may never again have the anal fortitude to keep my guns within regulations
No thanks fag.
>>
>>34538091
>it's entirely self sufficient
Best I can do you is self sufficient until manufacturing is restored. I'm not going to make my descendants mine. That's easily achieved by buying a couple decades of stock and tools.

>not reliant on any type of fuel or electricity
That's just stupid. If I can make my own, why not use it?

> I mean, you could always replace the Tractor with horse drawn implements and just live like the Amish.
Or I could use my mind to think ahead and not be a paleonigger.
>>
>>34538107
>waiting months to restore nitrates instead of days.
>>
>>34538127
>Being this delusional
>Derailing the argument into queer nonsensical fantasies
Why are americans so sexually repressed?
>>
File: citadelle-de-lille-2.jpg (915KB, 1537x1200px) Image search: [Google]
citadelle-de-lille-2.jpg
915KB, 1537x1200px
>Citadel looks like pic related
>Citadel walls made out of packed earth, several meters thick

>Electrical power adequately distributed throughout structure
>Fully ventilated, functional water mains, sewage disposal and treatment facilities
>Water generates up to 1000 mega watts of power per 24hrs
>Electric lighting because OP is a fag

>People on civilian duty live on farms outside of the citadel
>During wartime civilians return to the citadel and are fully armed and equipped
>Citadel houses hundreds of tracked armored vehicles akin to stugs for force projection and immediate protection
>Citadel houses a fleet of ramjet ultralight coin aircraft
>Everything used by the community is made by the immediate community, nothing made outside of the community is brought inside of the citadel, all computers, arms and munitions are manufactured by community engineers, as with everything else, only exception to this rule is that landfill waste, old tyres and cares are imported into the community and reprocessed into construction material, and subsequently bulletproof ultra durable graphetized plastics
>Telluric seismographs sweep the underground for saboteurs
>Every community dweller armed with a rifle of his or her preference, with aesthetic elements tailored to their wishes (hand-guards made out of wood, artificial opal, ultralight plastic etc)
>>
>>34538206
>>Water generates up to 1000 mega watts of power per 24hrs
Sir, I believe your numbers are wrong.
>>
>>34536948

>solar panels and windmills.
>No electricity for lights.

You're a faggot.
>>
>>34538216
Go get yourself some coils and capacitors and explode it for yourself
>>
>>34538238
He's generating somewhere between a 5th and a 4th of the power of niagra falls...
I'm not going near that unlicensed nuclear accelerator
>>
>>34538223
I mean, obviously you'd need to use power tools, I don't consider electric lights a necessity.
>>
>>34538552
>I mean, obviously you'd need to use power tools
Pneumatics.
Explain again why we have turbines and solar panels.
>>
File: Kingdom-tower-riyad.jpg (141KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom-tower-riyad.jpg
141KB, 640x480px
>>34536948
Pic Related

All my defenses are covered as long as my supply of oil is never disrupted. All my enemies will fear me for I have the powers of Allah protecting my Kingdom.
>>
>>34538597
It would be a shame if some aircraft were to find their way inside of that tower.
>>
>>34536948
>you have to make it totally off the grid
college kids go on trips to third world countries and do this shit in a matter of days. easy.
>no city water so you've got to rig a well
costs $1500 to do where I am. easy.
>>
>>34538597
What's with the bottle opener?
>>
>>34537358
You should watch the anime Drifters.

Oda Nobunaga gets sent to an alternate world, where he uses human remains and waste to make shit like gunpowder, bombs, and shit covered spike traps and arrows.

If anything check out the opening, which is by an American rock band and the art is done by a French guy. Its pretty cool.
>>
>>34538597
How fucked up is life in SA?
>>
>>34538730
If you're a negro, it's better than tribalism.
If you're white, it's a bit better than zimbabwe for now.
>>
>>34538697
sounds bad
>>
>>34538585
True. I'm not sure what pneumatic tools you can get though. That's a valid point.
>>
>>34538806
>I'm not sure what pneumatic tools you can get though
literally everything.
>>
>>34538206
what's wrong with rotating turrets mate
>>
>>34538750
Any possibility of it collapsing?
>>
>>34537662
I'd take having a crate of spare electrical supplies (bulbs, switches, wiring, etc) over having to store hundreds of crates worth of candles and wood.
>>
>>34539077
If your shit is really self sufficient, homemade candles and oil lamps would be possible.

This being said, electricity > all
>>
>>34539077
You only need a couple dozen pounds of wax and a press for oil. And some sheep, flax, jute, etc.

There is no reason to not have both.
>>
>>34536948
For the cost of a well, you could install a 10 million gallon tank, and fill it fucking two times at 1¢ per gallon.
>>
>>34538642
Can I fly your well drillers out to me and pay to transport their rig?
I was quoted an average $80,000 from everyone in the general area.
>>
>>34539122
>a well costs several hundred thousand dollars
>>
>>34539159
I may have added a 0. 1 mil gallon tank
My company paid 1 million for a well recently though, if that helps.
>>
>>34539194
was it an oil well?
>>
>>34539229
No, just a well that puts out a sustainable 6,000 gpm
Welcome to California. Water is required to develop anything, so wells are 80-100,000$
>>
>>34539248
Why are you enabling almond faggots?
>>
File: Imperial City.png (2MB, 1167x1458px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial City.png
2MB, 1167x1458px
>>34536948
>solar panels but no electric lights, stoves/ovens, or water heaters
lolno. If you're worried about burn outs and running out LED light bulbs last for fucking ever and you can easily store tons of them.

If I was going to build a fort it would be something like the Imperial City in Cyrodil but with thicker steel reinforced walls topped with a photovoltaic cell sun shade ringing the whole "fort". 2 districts entirely dedicated aquaponic greenhouses and food stockpiling. 1 district dedicated to power generation and storage with large arrays of photovoltaic cells, wind turbines, gas generators, and battery banks. 2 residential districts. The 6th district would be all things law enforcement and military, this is also where the only obvious gate in and out is meaning to come in you will have to deal with security. In the center instead of ye olde white gold tower is fort administration, a medical facility, the fort school/library, gunsmith/ammo maker, civil storage, and the fort's main square/market. One large reinforced cistern per district filled with water except for the power district which is filled with a long lasting fuel the generator can use when needed that can also be used in flamethrowers and molotovs or should a scorched earth policy need to be enacted if we're overrun.

Around the fort carve out a mote deep enough you'd need a boat to cross and stock it with fish from the area that will breed then connect it to nearby streams or rivers with fish blockers to prevent them from going downstream. Ensure the connection is done in a way that if u[stream is blocked it wont all drain out to downstream. Outside the fort within the mote build a smaller walled facility for waste treatment to deal with trash and sewage. Build multiple tunnels to outside the fort and to external facilities. Place additional photovoltaic cells in a 20 foot deep ring outside the wall.

continued
>>
>>34537240
he said gather a crew.. crew would know how to pilot. captain doesn't pilot
>>
>>34537429
thats paris.
>>
>>34539342
Assuming no restrictions on the weaponry we get.
For defenses place one wide view FLIR camera and one NV capable camera where each spoke meets the outer wall facing outward. Place M-2HBs ringing the outer wall on a quickly removable mounting system. Mount stinger launchers along the inner wall. Mine the hell out of the opposite shore of your mote. In a bay underneath civil storage keep 6 howitzers and 12 mortars ready to be set up in the central square and fired at any threat within range. Ensure the town side of the mote shore is a wall extending no less than 6 feet over the waterline with the ground leveled to 4 feet below it. Keep around 100 AKs with suppressors, 40 12 gauge shotguns, 30 bolt action rifles with good scopes chambered in .308, and 20 . Place an AT gun that can also double as a howitzer on each tower along the outer wall. All district gates close from sundown to sun up except on special holidays, gates are layered steel with heavy steel bar locks that drop from above on both sides blocking door movement. In the military section store several light tanks and at least two MBTs loaded and ready to rock. Place several canoe launch points mounted like lifeboats on a ship along the inside shore of the mote and a small portage slot over the fish blocker for hunters, traders, and if need be, escape. Rig the sole bridge to the fort to explode as a last resort.

Keep a seed storage for all sorts of plants just in case. Fill civil storage with necessary parts to keep the town going such as LED bulbs, spare appliances, tools, that sort of stuff.

If we get some real road warrior shit going on here my fortress village would be the local titan you don't fuck with assuming we survive the initial SHTF cause.
>>
File: 4260_450.jpg (191KB, 438x450px) Image search: [Google]
4260_450.jpg
191KB, 438x450px
>60 posts
>No mention of the threat profile
>Nobody has asked, either

Unless you were going full ATF siege mode or "lol zombies" I don't see the purpose of a full size castle or fortress. A fortified manor house is fine.

>Comfy stone hunting lodge
>adjoin onto half an acre of fenced gardens and farms, all in eyesight of house
>Simple palisade wall and gate house, maybe a tower if we're feeling fancy
>Water well and food storage in comfy cellar, doubling as a fallout shelter
>>
>>34539109
>>34539108
Having a means of sustaining lighting/heating/cooking without electricity would be important as a backup, but if you did have a power supply like OP suggested, it'd be stupid not to use it for those purposes in preference of stuff you have to spend time making/harvesting. I just don't know why the OP would let you have electricity but restrict what you can use it for.

it dun make no sense
>>
>>34540964
maybe op is a faggot and expects us to be stupid and use jacobs ladders for lighting.
>>
>>34540973
>jacobs ladders for lighting
I mean, if you wanted illumination from electrical discharge, a xenon arc lamp is - technically speaking - pretty close.
>>
>>34540987
>xenon arc lamp
absurdly overbuilt plasma tube... They should last forever, right?
>>
>>34536948

Excuse me sir. I notice no mention of a brothel or any type of suitable adult relation venue. Will this be included? Or do I have to fuck my buddy in this scenario?

I'm okay either way.... just askin'
>>
>>34541146
having sex ever is super gross.
>>
A few years ago or so there used to be a website called the /k/ fort. I remember a few threads about it too.
>>
>>34538860
What's powering your compressor?
Or do you plan on having people spend all their time working pumps to fill pressure cylinders?
>>
>>34540565
This.

A mid 1400's - mid 1600's fortified manor house would be comfy as fuck.

Heck, anything that's rustic looking and self sufficient would be comfy as 'owt.
>>
File: 1457739813237.jpg (398KB, 1500x910px) Image search: [Google]
1457739813237.jpg
398KB, 1500x910px
>>
File: 1456174854715.jpg (222KB, 760x939px) Image search: [Google]
1456174854715.jpg
222KB, 760x939px
>>
File: 1316027474862.jpg (93KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
1316027474862.jpg
93KB, 600x420px
>>34536948
it might just be better to be an non obvious target
>>
>>34536948
If you plan on being self sustaining you need a machine shop and a power source.
This kind of thing would require a commune of ~1000 people, and would be relatively easy to maintain aside from initial setup.

If every member of the community was a militiaman and had a productive field job and specialized skillset (engineering/agriculture) you may be able to do it with substantially less manpower, but it would still be a massive undertaking that would require ridiculous funding.

Not really feasible unless you a are millionaire without a hobby.

You could probably complete the basic setup for a million dollars if you keep a super tight budget and get heaps of volunteers.

You would need a power source, farmable land, and a machineshop if you wanted to be self sustainable in regards to your armoury.
Yes you would need to make your own ammo.
>>
>>34541220
A windmill. Like what the Amish use.
>>
>>34536948
>Compressed air powered ceiling fans

What the actual fuck? That's going to be noisy as fuck, like at or above 95dB. What powers the compressors? That's going to be more noise, and a grievously inefficient use of fuel.

You've already said solar, use that instead. The panel from a solar garden light will run a 12V computer fan at roughly half speed. That's still a respectable amount of air getting moved around. And regarding solar garden lights, an anon once theorized they would be great shtf lamps. Put them outside to charge up in daylight, bring them inside to provide light at night.

Fuck your candles and lamps. Try actually using those light sources, you'll find out that indoor air quality drops like a rock as soon as the windows and doors get shut.

If you're going to play this game, make it realistic and useful. Do your research.
>>
>>34542686
>And regarding solar garden lights
Made by chinks, they're a bad meme that tend to fail after less than a few months of use. Just get a US made meme 'survival/outdoors' solar panel designed for charging a phone.

>Fuck your candles and lamps
Fuck you.
>>
>>34538602
>What's that hole in the center for?
Dumbass
>>
>>34543416
... I deleted the post by accident because I was in the wrong tab.
IF you want to see the content, go to an archive.

The jist of it was that because modern architecture and retards.
>>
>>34537498
>>34537526

lol, it's chicken wire
>>
>>34543596
That's what I thought at first, but it looks too thick and big to be that.
>>
>>34543416
>>34543446
>>34543492
It wasn't a serious question, my point was that the hole was a defense against planes trying to fly into it
>>
>>34542955
>tend to fail after less than a few months of use.

Really? Ones I have are going on 8 years of use, no problems. Don't buy K-Mart tier garbage, you'll avoid most of the quality issues.

>fuck you

Makes it pretty obvious that you've never actually used candles and/or lamps for anything beyond mood lighting. Lamp wicks need trimming almost daily, and candles get pretty sooty if you don't keep an eye on them. A couple of hours of burn time will give you a detectable layer of indoor smog, red eyes, and a headache. Oil lamps also add another 10 degrees to your indoor temperature, which is good in Fargo in February, sucks in Tampa in August.

I get it, you have a LARP fantasy and I'm pissing all over it. If you make a few changes, bring some realism into the mix, you can still have your fantasy only now it's called prepping.
>>
>>34543950
>I get it, you have a LARP fantasy and I'm pissing all over it.
This is true.
But what I meant by fuck you was that just because they're a bit shit isn't a reason to not have them.
>>
>>34536948
Why would you make a star fort with thin, straight walls?
>>
>>34544205
modern material science and a fantastic deal on bulk ladders.
>>
>>34544205
Those inter lapping fields of fire. Theoretically, the walls would be way thicker.
>>
>>34536948
This is so fucking autistic.
>>
>>34541495
>I can see where my father was born in this picture
>>
File: 20150719_141857.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150719_141857.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>34544205

Bastion forts of that style were typically only expected to defend against small arms or small field pieces. Larger ones would have the curtain walls behind a glacis and outworks.

Pic is Fort Roberdeau, originally built to defend a lead mine from tories and indians during the revolutionary war. Is somewhat unique in it's use of horizontal palisades.
>>
>>34536948
I'd build a stirling engine and hook it up to an electric generator. You don't need extra water to run it and it only needs a source of heat. Burning garbage is as good a power source as any.
>>
>>34536948
You'd get crushed without a counter battery (hopefully defended with earthworks)
>>
>>34544045
They're what you go to when you have absolutely nothing else available. Alcohol lamps with a tungsten or ceramic element give you better light, and you can make your own fuel easier than you can make lamp oil.

Save the candles for outfitting expedition bags. Sometime a small and portable source of light and heat might save your life in the field. You don't want that shit smoking up your living quarters.
>>
File: fort.jpg (712KB, 1000x710px) Image search: [Google]
fort.jpg
712KB, 1000x710px
>>
>>34538115

>Immediately die from malaria, dysentery, yellow fever because the jungle is 100,000,000 times more likely to kill you than zombies and AIDS because of all the homo sex.
>>
>>34543619
Its just a picture.
There are plenty more, if you want to search "Gabion"
>>
>>34539109
>You only need a couple dozen pounds of wax and a press for oil. And some sheep, flax, jute, etc.
Obviously you've never depended on wood to for cooking or primary heating, I have it takes a shitload if you have anything like cold weather(WNC here). Wood is a good backup but imo that's all. Where are you getting wood if you are under siege,
>>
>>34539144
Where are you? Death valley?
>>
>>34547162
Honestly, you should stockpile more cords of wood than you think you'll need. I would assume that if under siege it would be stacked nearby in a shed to keep moisture out of it and to keep it dry.
>>
>>34547162
You could always just SUCC heat away from the salt loop going through the parabolic troughs.
>>
>>34538091
Biodiesel is not that hard to make. Plant some acreage in peanuts or sunflowers. Plant some non-food corn, potatoes, or beets. Now you have the feedstock to make alcohol, lye, soap, and biodiesel. Plant grapes or apples to get feedstock for vinegar.
>>
File: 1306949485440.gif (3MB, 393x222px) Image search: [Google]
1306949485440.gif
3MB, 393x222px
>>34538806
>>34538860
>literally everything.
You can't weld or turn a (decent) lathe/drill press with compressed air, chum. I know how useful pneumatic tools can be, given I work with them every day.

Being able to weld in, presumably, a post-apoc or self-sustaining environment would be a huge boon, and drill presses, lathes, and milling machines are a mainstay of any good machine shop, which is another thing you'd want to have in the event of a SHTF scenario.
>>
>>34548027
>You can't weld with compressed air, chum
I beg to differ sir, with a properly calibrated hilsch tube and a preheater one should be able to make horribly shitty welds.
>>
>>34548027
>turn a (decent) lathe/drill press with compressed air, chum
You can do it with a steam boiler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WXHNBMLZZM (you can skip to 1:40)
No reason you can't change out the steam engine for an impeller and transmission.
>>
>>34548027
>Being able to weld in, presumably, a post-apoc or self-sustaining environment
Harvest methane with a bioreactor.
Properly choke it and produce acetylene. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50504a043
inb4 I'm majorly simplifying things, but the point its that oxyacet welding can be done sustainably.

As far as oyxgen production, there is always hydrolysis. (fuck off, sustainability comes at the cost of efficiency)
>>
File: 1480574923115.jpg (222KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
1480574923115.jpg
222KB, 960x716px
>>34548258
>>34548075
Well, yeah, there are ways of welding without using electricity, but it's not going to be the kind of welds you need to make, for example, a high pressure tank (for all those compressed air tools OP is gonna be using) or making structural frames for things like outposts or a dune buggy.

Having a motor pool with a dozen or so mounted-gun buggies would be something I'd want for my SHTF fortress.

Arc welding is good, TIG/MIG welding even better because you can weld aluminum.
>>
>>34548412
>a high pressure tank
It's how we made them from more than 50 years.

>making structural frames for things like outposts or a dune buggy
New york city. (inb4 they were just riveting)

>Arc welding is good, TIG/MIG welding even better because you can weld aluminum.
If you have the ability to condense xenon, welding is probably the least of your concerns.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.