[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do lie detector tests even work? All the /k/-tier jobs require them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: assjsj.jpg (75KB, 600x901px) Image search: [Google]
assjsj.jpg
75KB, 600x901px
Do lie detector tests even work?

All the /k/-tier jobs require them
>>
>>34530506
"Yes" in that they can tell when you tell the truth but not always a 100% deal on when you lie so they treat any question that pops out a "non-conclusive" after several attempts as a being similar to a lie.
Crazy/unstable and trying to hide it? They'll know or have enough of a suspicion to hold it against you.
>>
Lie detectors do not work, however they are used to trick you into incriminating yourself during the 'interview process' as people think they work and your asked if there is anything you like to get out of the way before the test.
A favorite excuse is 'for calibration purposes', there is no calibration, the machine does not work.

The whole interview is used as a setup to incriminate yourself, all of it.

Stay safe and good luck with your new job.
>>
>>34530506

What are you trying to hide, anon?
>>
No. They read stress levels, and being in a room with a strange person asking you intimate questions will make you stressed out. If there was a way to secretly attach the system to an unknowing person that would work.

Many states don't allow lie detectors as evidence in court.

However, they can indeed detect crazy or unstable people with pretty damn good accuracy, but not necessarily their honesty
>>
Nope, inadmissible in court for a reason.
>>
>>34530526
>"Yes" in that they can tell when you tell the truth but not always a 100% deal on when you lie
lol what

Here's the deal OP.

On one I took for the local constable job, I told the truth, it said I lied.

I lied 3 times and they were all true when I applied for a Sheriff's dept. Detention Officer position. I lied on 3 out of 6 questions that were asked.. I think 3 times. 18 questions total. All clear.

It's all about reverse psychology. The instructor or whatever is going to try and get you to believe it works beforehand. His -goal- is to get you to confess before the test itself. I never disclosed anything.

There's also a trick you can do. Clench your sphincter during every question. Or if you're good enough like me, clear your mind and believe your lie.
>>
http://www.su.se/english/about/news-and-events/scientists-threatened-with-legal-action-1.1149
>>
File: ebreo.jpg (160KB, 660x350px) Image search: [Google]
ebreo.jpg
160KB, 660x350px
>>34530560
>The Israeli company Nemesysco
>The Israeli company
>Nemesis Co.
They're not even trying to hide it anymore...
>>
>>34530557
This person has absolutely no concept of biology; or the readings a lie detector relies on.

Do not heed any of this advice; it's bullshit

>Clench your sphincter during every question
You are fucking retarded m8; don't get into LEO there are enough idiots in it already
>>
>>34530540
Reminds me of that scene in the Wire where the detectives trick the hood kid into believing a copying machine was a lie detector.
>>
>>34530506
No, lie detectors don't work. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nyDMoGjKvNk
>>
>>34530506
Having been through one here's my advice anon:

Confess to any crimes or questionable things you've done in your past. It will come out during the exam. Departments will talk to you about whatever crimes you've committed later if they care (most don't unless it's something recent or big). Don't lie on the paperwork. This is just a tea of your integrity not if you're a criminal or anything like that.

I confessed to crimes all the way from my childhood that I could remember. I had to sit on some sort of pressure pad so clenching your ass wouldn't work.
>>
>>34530506
> /k/ tier jobs

You don't need a poly to be a line cook or mall cop
>>
>>34530828
>You don't need a poly to be a line cook

What about at the CIA? Serious question that has come up at work (it was actually about polishing the floors at the CIA)
>>
>>34530866
I couldn't really say, but everything there would be locked up or down when unattended, so the security checks for someone like a advanced floor polishing technician would probably be laxer than most would think.
>>
File: 1494382702763.gif (120KB, 600x487px) Image search: [Google]
1494382702763.gif
120KB, 600x487px
>>34530639
Lol I took two polygraph tests. You have taken zero. I was hooked up twice. I know what I'm talking about and I love the fact you didn't bother refuting ANYHTING. Just the typical 4channer autistic screeching. Do you feel better now?

Come back to me when you learn something about the world.

I swear you can't make one message on this site without some aspie jumping on your shit lmao
>>
>>34530639
expceit does work anon. ive done it. go back to /b/ with that cry baby bullshit

>>34530547
this
>>
>>34530526
>suspicion to hold it against you.
They can't hold anything legally against you fucking retard. Even if the test came back positive.
>>
>>34530934
As someone who's worked in these areas, I would agree that the security checks are pretty minimal for those folks. While I don't know what level the actually had/needed, I know every time one of the maintenance guys came by to like, check AC duct or whatever. We had to lock everything up, turn off screens, and stop what we were doing until they were done. So they obviously didn't have a full clearance.
>>
>>34530973
Same guy, as far as lie detectors go I don't want to violate my oath as you aren't supposed to discuss the details of the actual interrogation, but it took me 3 attempts to pass mine. Nothing is a certainty with a lie detector, it's just a tool that obviously has some error to it and needs to be interpreted. It will be up to the agency to interpret the results if they think what they see is too risk or probably just a fluke.
>>
>>34530967
We're not talking about a court of law. We're talking about hiring. They can use whatever bullshit justification they want to not hire you (except protected classes etc) including a lie detector.
>>
>>34530955
You are obviously a larper, one of the sensors is a pad you sit on that detects sphincter clenching.
>>
Only work as a prop to help the questioner apply stress.

In every study that has ever been done they have been worse than simply guessing when the results were interpreted by a second party expert that was only given text of the questioning.

What it comes down to is trusting someone to be able to tell if someone else is lying, helped by a prop.

If you ever find an employer that wants to use a lie detector test you should tell them directly that it's pseudoscience nonsense that doesn't work.
>>
>>34530506
No, it's pseudoscience. Some crafty jew convinced law enforcement that they work and they still use them because that industry refuses to admit when they're wrong. Every scientific test done on polygraph machines show that using one is roughly the same as just guessing if someone is lying.
>>
>>34530991
>but it took me 3 attempts to pass mine
why did you lie twice? i don't believe you at all, once you fail they don't want you anymore.
>>
>>34531018
First two were just inconclusive, and when you are a high demand resource, and not some shit tier paper pusher or janitor, yes they will take the time to be absolutely sure. Sorry if you are some dime a dozen shitter that they rejected after first session.
>>
>>34531027
top kek you're a faggot. i didn't fail my first time like some retard.
>>
>>34531041
Sorry, not all of us are mommies good little boy. Not sure how not passing a polygraph == retard since it's completely subjective and heavily dependent on the interrogator you are dealt, but whatever boosts your ego man.
>>
>>34531059
Not to mention it depends heavily on the scope of your polygraph (full scope vs just CI) how easily it is to pass.
>>
>>34530506
the lie detector is only there to ensure they have people that follow procedure without question
>>
They work fine, it's just that the thing they're designed to detect isn't really an indicator of a person lying or not and is pretty easy to fake or throw off

>>34530557
And they don't work on pathological liars like this anon
>>
The detector itself isn't the test.
The test is how well you handle pressure.
>>
>>34530543
>many states

None do. It's inadmissible as court evidence because lie detector tests are bullshit.
>>
>>34530506
No, its all about mind games. They are just trying to scare you into confessing shit.
>>
>>34530506
There's no absolute link between the physiological responses they measure and lying. There can be false positives due to anxiety regarding a specific subject or probably just nervousness in general and there are also people who are quite adept at lying who would have no problem passing. They may have made improvements to polygraph methodology to decrease the number of false positives, but it's still pretty much pseudoscience. Either way though, most LE agencies still use them as a component of background investigations, however the private sector isn't allowed to and the results of a polygraph aren't admissible in court in the U.S. The only thing I think they could be helpful for is getting a confession from someone.
>>
>>34530506

Read "The Lie Behind The Lie Detector". If you know how the test works then you'll know how to manipulate it. They're simply an advanced interrogation technique. They rely on your belief of the test. I've taken one, lied my ass off on it and passed with flying colors.
>>
>>34530955
>I took two polygraph tests.
And you still have no idea how they work.

Describe to me, how clenching your ass has any effect on skin temperature; body temperature and anything other than a MINUTE effect on blood pressure.

I think I know what I'm talking about; I don't think you do. Disagreeing with stupidity doesn't make me an ''aspie'' friendo
>>
>>34531444

Increases heart rate and breathing, which are the two biggest things polygraph examiners look for. The physiologic response a body has to lying, or more appropriately, the FEAR of being caught lying, is a spectrum and not the same between any two people. Clenching one's PC muscle (the muscle at the base of one's dick) is almost impossible for seat pressure pads to detect. Don't clench your butt cheeks, because the seat pressure pads will detect that.

The polygraph examiner prepares his test subject with a grandiose introduction, explaining to them how accurate and precise the machine is, and howbwell-trained the examiner is. They tell you they need to calibrate the machine, so they ask you to say your name and what city you're currently in, and then they ask you to tell a lie, then they say "the machine is working", and hopefully by now you're believing them, and then they begin the examine.

They ask a few preparatory questions that give the polygraph examiner an indication of what YOUR particular physiological response looks like on their charts, and if you're not brain-dead and you did you research you'll know what they sound like. "Have you ever told a lie?" "Have you ever hurt someone?" Things like this. Who hasn't told a lie? Who can say they haven't betrayed someone, or been in a fight? These questions are designed to illicit doubt and fear, which in turn creates your physiological response which is printed out on their graphs. If you're mentally prepared for these questions then you'll have no fear or doubt, and the physiological response they receive is the one you give them by squeezing your taint. If you did your part convincing the examiner that you BELIEVE in the lie detector, then they will believe your squeezed taint physiological response is in fact your "I'm telling a lie" or "I'm afraid of getting caught" physiological response.

After this, you confidently lie through the examine.
>>
>>34531551
Or you know, if you have to go through all of this just don't apply for a job you obviously can't pass a polygraph for, unless you are actively trying to commit espionage.
>>
File: IMG_0551.jpg (36KB, 550x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0551.jpg
36KB, 550x311px
>>34530506
Taking a poly for a big big city police department. Thinking I'm going to take George's advice. I'm not a felon but not a choir boy either.
>>
>>34530540
Nailed it. Lie detectors are nothing more than law enforcement alchemy.
>>
>>34530587
>Nemesysco
that's cool as fuck. Once I'm rich I'll be sure to name my holding company something vaguely menacing like that.
>>
>>34531692

But of course. I was merely offering a rebuttal to the previous poster that didn't know what THEY were talking about.
>>
>>34530712
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7pkFNEg5c
This was a great show
>>
File: 542345.png (9KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
542345.png
9KB, 229x220px
>>34531692
>you obviously can't pass a polygraph for

The legitimacy of a polygraph test has always been understood as being shit. You can't use it in court and it doesn't matter how many baby daddies are caught cheating on Maury with it.

If you can pass the test by honing in on your own physiologic responses then you've passed the test. There's no "cheating" a test where the result is illegitimate. Believe it or not, there are people who have told the truth during LEO polygraph interviews and still not gotten the job because their physiological responses are out of whack.

If you can't get dirt on someone with a background check, medical history, or drug screen then the lie detector is merely a tool to test the nerves of the test taker.
>>
>>34530639
>YOU CAN'T FOOL A LIE DETECTOR!!!!
>NOW DON'T FOOL A LIE DETECTOR AND BECOME A COP!!!!
>>
They don't work but they intimidate you into confessing.

>Interviewer thinks it's bullshit
"Hmm could you clarify this is being really inconclusive"
>>
>>34530506
depends who's giving it and for what reason.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.