[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ Careers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

File: 586L-comp_6.jpg (60KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
586L-comp_6.jpg
60KB, 800x600px
What are some /k/ careers? I feel like a failure because all of my family has been either military or police. I'm the first to be born with weak lung genetics, and have asthma. The military very plainly said no, and my local police force also denied me. I'm currently in school to become a dietician (an interest of mine), but I can't really see myself sitting behind a desk all day doing it for life.

To keep it gun related, what is the most aesthetic revolver, and why is it the 586?
>>
>>34528714

just get a computer degree

focus on security or networking

go make tons of $$

then work for FBI CIA DHS etc
>>
>>34528714
I am a paramedic. You get training that is completely useful and they accept asthmatics as well as diabetics.
>>
>>34528915
How are hours and pay? I'm in CO, and they make about $15 an hour.
>>
Become a gunsmith. Design sick guns and get contacts with third world militaries.
>>
>>34528939
I'm in Ok, and pay is similar. Hours are awesom either work 24 on 48 off or 48 on 96 off. either way you work 2 or 3 days a week. Most of us have other jobs on our days off.
>>
>>34529086
What's a common off day job?
>>
>>34528714
I'm an FBI agent ask me anything
>>
>>34529104
Depends on the person, janitorial is what I do. I strip and wax floors for about an extra 400 a week. Others work at the hospital or for another service, but they burn out a lot quicker doing that.
>>
>>34529126
How'd you get there?
>>
>>34529135
nepotism
>>
>>34528944
How does someone even become a gunsmith? Do you get an engineering degree?
>>34529126
Can you talk about what joining was like? Maybe your day to day life? Without revealing sensitive information of course.
>>
>>34529131
How many "old" people do you see working as a paramedic?
>>
>>34529149
all the people are old lol. probably 30 to 40 a week.
>>
>>34529205
I meant old paramedics. What's the average lifespan of a paramedics career?
>>
>>34529148
day to day I wake up shit shower and shave
I like to eat cereal. I know I'm supposed to have a balanced breakfast but I hate pomegranates
I go to work wearing the same color of suit every single day
I hate packing my lunch so I usually go out to eat since I get a full hour for lunch and I hate the cafeteria food
depending on if I have no pending cases I leave at 6 and go home and watch whatevers on Netflix
>>
>>34529224
Not many. Typical time in ems is 5 - 7 years. They move on to being nurses or physicians assistants. It is a very demanding job and you see a lot of really bad stuff. So you end up burning out.
>>
>>34529255
do they continue through school or is it some kind of work experience loophole?
>>
>>34529284
continue on in school, there is a bridge program that allows you to become a RN. That is a big upgrade in pay and you end up working in a hospital. I would rather stay on the truck as long as I can. Hospitals are terrible places.
>>
>>34529305
Do you know what that program is like? Like the classes and what not?
>>
Mechanical engineering degree
Started at public shipyard as nuclear engineer, get to play with the biggest toys out there.
>>
>>34529326
Its a year long program, I am not sure what they are like. You cover the areas where paramedic school doesn't cover.
>>
>>34529345
How much of a bump in pay?
>>
>>34528915
How did you train to become one? I heard getting certified as EMT costs around 10k, does that sound about right?
>>
>>34529305
I was never ems, so I don't know how it compares, but I actually like working in the hospital. It takes a certain mindset though since I work on a med-surg/oncology floor. A lot of people find ER to be more their speed, but I prefer longer term care instead of quick stabilization.
>>
>>34529425
My starting pay as a nurse was $24/hr, and that's on the low end. I'm hoping to move up to Ft. Worth after getting my two years of experience in. I've heard rumors that I can make at least 30-35$/hr up there.
>>
Something in computer/network security, anon? Check out redteams.net and go from there.
>>
File: 4690968-0+(1).jpg (450KB, 915x1280px) Image search: [Google]
4690968-0+(1).jpg
450KB, 915x1280px
>>34528714
Sucks to your assmar.
Che Guevara and Theodore Roosevelt had asthma, and they had successful military careers.
Harden up and find a recruiter you can lie to.
>>
>>34531153
My cert + class was about 1.5k
>>
>>34528714
Forestr-
>asthmatic

Hmmmmm.....gonna agree with the suggestion for emt only because as an FS employee I know just how far and deep innawoods we sometimes go and it'd suck to have an asthma attack way the fuck out there.

We're talking a hours out from medical response. Two weeks ago there was an Atv wreck on my forest that caused a fire, took 4 hours to get an emt out to the guy (after he was stuck out thede for at least 1 night) because the fire helo wasn't equipped to carry injured and lifeflight was busy with something else at the time.

As for the revolver question... I'm partial to colt navys myself.
>>
>>34531272
Didn't both of them get shot though?
>>
File: dragoon.jpg (226KB, 2000x1295px) Image search: [Google]
dragoon.jpg
226KB, 2000x1295px
>>34528714
you feel like a failure for not being cannon fodder? My grandfather was a magna cum laude Harvard surgeon that created a hospital, a music studio, built a stadium and park, and founded a chapter of the Rotary Club before he decided to just buy a yacht and go fishing. His father owned an entire mine and farm, his father in law was the state attorney of New York, his sons became pharmaceutical engineers and architects with their own businesses, my mother was a CEO for one of the top 100 traded corporations, owned a real estate business, my brother became a NASA programmer, my uncle worked in a black site doing god knows what for 25 years (and still says if he talks he'll disappear the next day)...
me, I didn't even get my Master's. I was the genius that everyone pinned their hopes on but I had a mental breakdown in college. I have too many conditions to join the military or peace corps and I'm in such a shitty town that nobody can even hire me to deliver the fucking mail. I have two fucking degrees and I have to sell my place and move to fucking Florida next month because I got laid off from an educational management job (thanks Tennessee state government, burn in hell). I have no job, home, girlfriend, or money in a never ending spiral catch 22 that drags me deeper every year I age. The final guilt trip is not having children that are better than me.

Do the fucking desk job and exercise after work, and count your blessings that your entire family hasn't ostracized you yet for being an insane loner and a disappointment. You are also incorrect about the revolver, but that one is nice.
>>
>>34531363
Roosevelt even got shot in the fucking lung during his presidency, and his asthma didn't kick in. Dude was a badass.
>>
>>34531458
Well, shit, that might be the most aesthetic revolver on the internet
>>
>>34529425
6 - 7 dollar bump and then it goes up from there.
>>
>>34531153
That's probably including paramedic school. My entire education cost me 8500 from Emt to paramedic.
>>
>>34531193
Different strokes lol. I hate being in an er. I much prefer to be on a truck where I am more or less autonomous.
>>
>>34528714
Get a degree in engineering and apply for defense contractors.
>>
>>34529148
>how does a person become a gunsmith?
Well first, it's going to require a big initial sum of money
If you're unskilled I recommend getting some kind of technical degree, or a 'gunsmithing degree' from that one place Hickok shills

Now that you are skilled, do some basic gunsmith stuff on your pistols, or build together a really, damn good 1911.
Something to show off as an example of your skill

Now from here you check all your local gun stores or ranges and ask if they would like a gunsmith and here is where you would show off your example + degree/certifications

I guess from there you could apply to a number of big name manufacturers that have factories within the US
>>
>>34529148
I'm about to graduate from a gunsmithing school. You can also just learn to be a machinist and pick up gunsmithing later. Gunsmithing is like 50% machining. If you actually want to design guns instead of just customizing/modifying existing guns, then go to school for mechanical engineering.
>>
>>34531929
>big initial sum of money
The fuck you talking about nigga? I get Pell grant money to go to gunsmithing school. The tuition is cheap as fuck, I literally get paid to go to school.
>>
>>34531978
The most expensive part would be getting actual gunsmithing tools and guns to work on
>>
>>34531987
The way most of the schools are set up, you start off machining gunsmithing tools. So you get free tools while learning machining simultaneously. You still have to buy a lot of shit, but it's not that expensive. I'm a poorfag and I still manage.
>>
I work for a defense contractor in engineering department. I enjoy spending the tax money of butthurt blue states.
>>
>>34528714
>asking career advice from NEET's
>>
>>34528714
>3" full underlug with modern supah tuff finish
>most aesthetic
No, just no.
>>
>>34532005
>implying /k/ isn't full of wage slave normies
>>
File: 1496482319867.jpg (35KB, 597x589px) Image search: [Google]
1496482319867.jpg
35KB, 597x589px
>>34528714
>What are some /k/ careers?
I bag groceries at Kroger
>>
File: 1498742308266.jpg (68KB, 678x719px) Image search: [Google]
1498742308266.jpg
68KB, 678x719px
>>34532217
Don't we all
>>
>>34528714
Flight Operations and Dispatch, currently looking to get into ATC, might join the AF
>>
File: 1495568095573.gif (960KB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
1495568095573.gif
960KB, 500x265px
>>34528939
They're savingpeoples lives and they only make $15/hr?! Jesus Christ, I'm an uneducated loser and I make almost $18 for sitting on my ass half the day.

That's pretty fucked.
>>
>>34532217
There's nothing wrong with that if you're less than 18 years old or literally retarded.
>>
File: 1415153445382.jpg (48KB, 1094x720px) Image search: [Google]
1415153445382.jpg
48KB, 1094x720px
>>34532334
Imagine making $18/h as a tradesman

>what do you do anon
>I'm a welder
>oh wow you must be making a ton of money
>haha yeah totally
>>
File: 1488591150543.png (28KB, 820x703px) Image search: [Google]
1488591150543.png
28KB, 820x703px
>>34532417
>There's nothing wrong with that if you're less than 18 years old or literally retarded.

I guess I'm just a fuck up.
>>
>>34532441
I hear ya man. I work as a metal fabricator and I make $13/hr after taxes. To be fair though, I can't weld for shit. I can't believe I've been doing it for a year and haven't gotten fired yet.
>>
>>34532441
>he fell for the "learn a trade" meme
>>
>>34532574
It's been way better than when I fell for the college meme.
At least now I like my job.
>>
I make $12.50 an hour cleaning horse stalls and feeding horses and fixing fences, $10 an hour teaching kiddos how to shoot bb guns, ride horses, swim and rope, $15 an hour for tutoring my boss's son and $1 per mile to haul horses. Sometimes you make an assload of money, sometimes there's just nothing to do...but the thing is, horses keep on shitting no matter what day it is so there is always SOME work.

Every so often I take a break and dome squirrels with my air rifle for 15-30 minutes. I'm trying to get permission to get some .22lr/.17hmr action going on the property. Boss already gave me permission to borrow a horse and shoot blanks in the arena for some cowboy mounted shooting. I'd say being a ranch hand is a pretty /k/ job.
>>
>>34528714
If you ever had asthma as a kid and it doesn't bother you anymore then don't even mention it during MEPS. My cousins all lied about it and they were fine, one even retired in the army as a Captain.
>>
>>34532638
That pay seems kind of low, but that still sounds like a pretty badass job.
>>
>>34532638
How many horses have you made love to?
>>
File: 1482196661512.jpg (31KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
1482196661512.jpg
31KB, 564x564px
>>34532525
With fabrication it's very much a case of the right contacts, certificates and ability. My father's been fabricating pretty much right out of school and as of late has:

>Worked on the British Embassy in Nigeria (apparently local labour was about as useful as a water-soluble condom and one of the main supporting struts was literally hanging six inches above the plate it was supposed to be sunk into)
>Constructed an art instillation in Oxford University (where he had to sit and listen to a bunch of old Deans pontificate about what the piece said, but he had needed to cobble together when the artist fucked up his design and shit wasn't fitting like on the schematic)
>Built a ton of custom stuff for friends and contacts made through friends (even made me a sizeable model of Thunderbird 2 out of scrap iron, which was fucking awesome)

He lives comfortably, but it took him a long fucking time and a lot of graft. I quietly wish I'd skipped University and just worked for him instead. Keep at it, make friends and you'll get there, anon.
>>
>>34533132
>Nigeria
>local labour was about as useful as a water-soluble condom
I wonder how much money they wasted finding out the hard way something they could have just asked /pol/ about.
>>
>>34533155
By all accounts the firm they used had been fairly reliable, but on a much smaller scale. Odd are they took on the contract with absolutely no fucking experience in erecting.
>>
>>34532593
>Going to school for Mechanical Engineering "meme"
>Associate level degree averages 40k a year for beginners pay
>With grades I have I can immediately join a local defense contracting company that after 5 years pays close to 60k and only needs a year of guaranteed work to help pay the majority of my bachelor's at the near by engineering university, which jumps my pay close to triple digits at entry level work

Tradesmen are a dime a dozen depending on where you are. It's not hard to train a monkey how to weld, and when things are moving to robotic welding, it's all but assured that it will only get worse.

Do yourself a favor, find a tech school with an ABE certified engineering program. 5k a year in tuition is the national average and if it's certified, and you get good grades, talking 3.0 min, anybody will take you.
>>
>>34532638

Where are the ranch jobs these days? I have 10 years of cattle experience, 12 years of horse experience, 5 years with poultry and I'm a handy, handy motherfucker. Strong as fuck and a former amateur bill rider and roper.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.