[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

crime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: crime and punishment.jpg (43KB, 231x346px) Image search: [Google]
crime and punishment.jpg
43KB, 231x346px
Is crime a worse problem than it used to be? Statistics say it's going down, but you know statistics are not trustworthy. I've talked to old men from Memphis and Detroit who say they used to walk to school without any fear back in the 1950s. I know organized crime used to be a major influence in America, but the mob rarely killed innocent people. Most of the people killed by gangsters were other gangsters.
>>
Uhh statistics are trustworthy. X killed Y. Write it down, record it, retard. You're thinking of polling.
>Memphis, Detroit
Yeah living near black people with guns is a good way to get killed
>>
>>34526190
>but the mob rarely killed innocent people
look, kid, i realize you're like 15, but go read a book or something. the mob killing innocents is exactly why we have semi auto instead of full auto and exactly why we cant have suppressors in illinois. the mob has had a HUGE influence on our gun laws even to this day.

Go read the NFA then shut the fuck up for a while.
>>
>>34526190
>not /k/ related
>sample size of less than 10
>typical boomers and their "Back in my day, everything was perfect " tinted glasses.
kys
>>
>>34526227
>Uhh statistics are trustworthy. X killed Y. Write it down, record it, retard. You're thinking of polling.
There are plenty of crimes that don't get reported to police. Also, people monkey around with definitions. If a person gets shot but lives, it's not murder.
>>34526227
>Yeah living near black people with guns is a good way to get killed
Except America had plenty of blacks back then too.
>>34526230
If you're referring to the St. Valentine's Day massacre, the people killed were rival gangsters, not innocent people minding their own business.
>>34526242
Of course it's /k/ related. Crime is one of the most common reasons people buy guns.
>>
>>34526298
>There are plenty of crimes that don't get reported to police.
And you thought this was less of a problem during the rampant gangster/mob war years when the FBI was scrambling to dismantle as much racketeering as they could? Are you trolling?

> If a person gets shot but lives, it's not murder.
Yes, and? If you're concerned about people that didn't die then see statistics for aggravated assault/assault with a deadly weapon.

>Except America had plenty of blacks back then too.
Those blacks then weren't addicted to crack cocaine and prone to commit crimes for their next fix.

>Of course it's /k/ related. Crime is one of the most common reasons people buy guns.
That still doesn't make /k/ the place to post this drivel instead of /pol/.
>>
>>34526190
>Most of the people killed by gangsters were other gangsters.
Most homicides are still gangsters killing other gangsters.
>>
>>34526298
>If a person gets shot but lives, it's not murder.

Correct. We call that attempted murder. It's still a crime, and it gets recorded.
>>
>>34526190

Crime is at generational lows these days, but the media bangs the drum because "If it bleeds, it leads" and because their political masters need people scared to keep them from thinking properly.
>>
No, violent crime is not on the rise in the United States. It has been in steady decline. Look at how much of a fucking shithole some cities were in the 70's and compare them to today. This is a trend that can reverse at any time, but we are absolutely safer now than at previous points of our history on the whole. And even the worst shitholes don't compare to violent crime rates a hundred and fifty years ago.

Yes, violent crime is on the rise in particular regions. As factories and industries close down in places like Detroit and Chicago, the city governments runs out of money to keep the lights on let alone have sufficient police forces, and the city population rapidly becomes predominantly poor blacks, violent crime spikes strongly.
>>
>>34529394
Sorry, my numbers are wrong. We're still at a higher rate of violent crime than the 50's, but crime has been falling since the 70's.
>>
>>34526740
>And you thought this was less of a problem during the rampant gangster/mob war years when the FBI was scrambling to dismantle as much racketeering as they could? Are you trolling?
It's still noise in the data, making stats less reliable.
>>34526740
>Those blacks then weren't addicted to crack cocaine and prone to commit crimes for their next fix.
So you're saying there is more crime today?
>>34526740
>That still doesn't make /k/ the place to post this drivel instead of /pol/.
/k/ is smarter than /pol/. Trying to get an educated answer out of /pol/ is like trying to get blood from a stone.
>>34528851
>>34526740
>Yes, and? If you're concerned about people that didn't die then see statistics for aggravated assault/assault with a deadly weapon.
Yes, but people can still point to that and say, "look, the murder rate is going down," when it's just improvements in trauma care.
>>34529392
>because their political masters need people scared to keep them from thinking properly.
Well, scared people tend to buy guns, so that strategy doesn't sound very effective.
>>34529394
>And even the worst shitholes don't compare to violent crime rates a hundred and fifty years ago.
Source?
>>
>>34529486

True! But it also gets them lots of votes from people who shit themselves at the thought of me owning an AR-15. It also contributes to a divide that helps fuel their duopoly, so it works out for them.
>>
>>34526190
>I've talked to old men from Memphis and Detroit who say they used to walk to school without any fear back in the 1950s.
Old men loitering around schools should always have something to fear.
>>
>>34526190
Crime is more reported today than it used to be. Those kids in the 1950s should have been afraid to walk down the street.
>>
>>34526190
Yes. it's down big time. Yet incarcerations are up. Mainly drug convictions.

Because there's a prison-industrial complex that has made prisoners into a revenue stream, so they keep making punishments for minor stuff like minor possession more draconian because the prison owners are demanding the cells be filled.
>>
>>34529486
>It's still noise in the data, making stats less reliable.
The fuck you on about?
>So you're saying there is more crime today?
No, there is not.
>Yes, but people can still point to that and say, "look, the murder rate is going down," when it's just improvements in trauma care.
Or, you know, ALL violent and property crimes are down, and the higher incarceration rates are due to nonviolent/drug offenses.
>>
>>34530949
This. Fucking this.
>>
ITT OP asks a question, doesn't get the answer he wanted/expected, and has a shitfit.

Don't pretend to open the thread with a """question""' that you have already decided on the answer to, fuck off.

And for the record crime is way the fuck down since the 70s/80s by any measure, except computer hacking (gosh can anybody guess why?)
>>
>>34530930

Hate to burst your bubble, but private prisons are hardly big money makers, they have little lobbying power, and they're far more concerned with overcrowding than under crowding.
>>
>>34531189
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1998/12/the-prison-industrial-complex/304669/

Try again.
>>
>>34531228

Where's the part that proves you right?
I'm not reading all this crap.
>>
>>34530930
>more criminals are in jail and there is less crime.
>we need less criminals in jail.

please don't breed
>>
>>34530930

>Yes. it's down big time. Yet incarcerations are up. Mainly drug convictions.
Wow, it's almost like there could potentially be a cause-effect relationship there...
>>
You stupid faggot
Crime is down from the 90s, not all time
>>
>>34529392
ye but violent crime took the first upswing last year m8
>>
>>34531241
>Hurr durr complex issue not reading up on it just sticking to my stupid opinion

>>34531257
>>34531261
Violent crime is down regardless of imprisonment or enforcement methods, wile incarceration is disproportionately up.

Maybe you two should consider that fucking up so many lives over things that don't deserve prison is a bad thing.
>>
>>34529394
also violent crime has started to rise again
>>
>>34531280

How pathetic...
>>
>>34531311
Read the second paragraph of the post you quoted you illiterate troglodyte
>>
>>34531279
>>34531311
>Recession with little to no recovery for the lowest sections of the population along with increased tensions with a militarizing police that see them as the enemy
>>
>>34531228
don't source the atlantic you fucking retarded negroide
>>
>>34531315
>pathetic
Yes, you are. You claim you want to know about these things yet reject the education being given to you.
>>
>>34531330
Fuck the hell off Stormfront.
>>
>>34531323
>>34531325
not particular regions el redditor, it is on the rise in general. Mostly because of hands off policing under the nigger and cheif
>>
>>34531339
ya go back to r/thefaggot
the atlantic is shit
>>
File: giphy[3].gif (785KB, 294x341px) Image search: [Google]
giphy[3].gif
785KB, 294x341px
>>34531342
>>
>>34531280
do you not realise yet that drug laws are more just an indirect way to imprison gang bangers dumbass? How did you not know this yet, it's like al capone and racketeering lmao, learn to read between the lines
>>
>>34531356
Sure, if you have decided that every black guy imprisoned for a couple ounces of weed is a gang banger.

Fucking ridiculous bullshit.
>>
>>34531371
ya, you're retarded, who was doing all the sharp peek in violence in the late 80's to mid 90's? Riddle me that and tell me that arresting niggers for drugs didn't aid in ending that
>>
>>34531390
It didn't. That doesn't correlate at all.

You know what does? Legalized abortion. The drop in crime rates starts almost exactly around 18-20 years after Roe v Wade because suddenly women who can't afford to properly care for a child yet have the option not to.

Take your shit back to Stormfront.
>>
>>34531457

How does that not correlate, but abortion does?
>>
>>34531502
It created more cons dipshit, it didn't remove violent crimes.
>>
>>34531516
and the abortion, that isn't even that much, did it....somehow....
>>
>>34531516

Turning criminals into convicted criminals over an extended sentence incapacitates them during their peak offending years, thereby reducing recidivism and overall crime.
It also prevents them from having kids much more effectively than abortion does.
>>
>>34531577
this as well
>>
>>34531536
>Preventing children from being raised in the circumstances more likely for them to turn to crime has no effect on crime
Your derp is showing.

>>34531577
That's some ridiculous fucking circular logic there kid.

>Making nonviolent minor offenders into felons prevents them from becoming felons!

When the fuck is summer over...
>>
>>34531598
well the thing is, there aren't that many abortion numbnuts
aslo yes, it's essentially the same as the racketeering and tax evasion cases against mobsters and bootlegers and such, they are violent criminals, getting evidence for gang violence is hard.
>>
>>34531598

If you can actually understand and quote my argument correctly, then I'll allow you to keep discussing this with me.
>>
>>34531457
I hadn't thought about that before, but it makes sense. Also I think more effective policing tactics and the gentrification of urban centers has a lot to do with the decrease of violent crime. I predict that gang activity will become a mostly suburban phenomenon before too long.
>>
>>34531618
>>34531621
>I don't actually have a good justification except "that guy doing 10 years for a bag a weed was totally going to murder someone in the future!"
>>
>>34531674
Eh, the declines were already starting before those changes in policing tactics, and the rates were unchanged by both the tactics changes and gentrification.

Something else to consider is the rise of cheap home entertainment giving kids something to do other than wander around on the street.
>>
>>34531705
God knows how many more crimes this site's userbase would have committed if they were forced to go outside in search of entertainment.

>>34531598
He's not entirely wrong though. Most offenders stop committing crimes once they hit 30 or so. Also, no one does prison time for "minor" offenses. You have to have seriously fucked up to get a prison sentence, and even then a lot of first-time offenders get placed in prison camps that focus specifically on rehabilitation. Actual prison is pretty much a containment zone for people who have demonstrated an inability to abide by the rules of our society. I for one am fine with mass incarceration in response to mass criminality.
>>
>>34531819
>Also, no one does prison time for "minor" offenses.
http://norml.org/laws/item/federal-penalties-2
>>
Summer and /pol/ get out.
>>
>>34526298
Far more crimes get reported and solved now than back then you fucking retard
>>
>>34531827
Those are federal penalties and as such only apply to interstate commerce or offenses committed on federal property. Furthermore, the vast majority of these cases won't even go to trial. Instead, the defendants will plead guilty to lesser charges and be sentenced accordingly. Thirdly, minor offenders, especially for marijuana, will typically be given suspended sentences (probation). I'm all for the legalization of weed, but until then it's still a crime.
>>
>>34526298
>There are plenty of crimes that don't get reported to police. Also, people monkey around with definitions. If a person gets shot but lives, it's not murder

It was far more common back in the days for crimes to not be reported, and even if you only look at gun crimes not deaths modern times are still waaay better.
Some decades were better than others tho.
>>
>>34526190
Bigger problem than it was pre 70s, smaller problem than any point past that.

That being said, statistics should be viewed with great suspicion. The measure of a PD and prosecutor is generally seen as how well they reduce overall crime rates. Many LEO organizations have realized that it's much easier to reduce crime figures by no reporting then it is by actually solving a crime. The UK in particular has had issues with this lately with more than 1/3rd of rapes reported to police in some areas being reported as "no evidence of crime being committed". Also, prosecutors are measured by how frequently they can get any kind of charge stemming from an incident. This is part of the reason that the vast majority of charges end in pleading down to save everybody time while making the prosecutor look good.

According to a DOJ study using crime data from 1975-1984(iirc) the average american had an 80% chance of being the victim of an attempted or completed violent crime and ~50% of being the victim of multiple. Crime rates have decreased a bit from then and of course no real person is "average" in the sense used by this stat but it is still true that the "average" person in this day and age has likely around a 50-60% chance of being a victim at least once.

Keep in mind that ~80% of homicide victims are involved in drugs/gangs and ~90%(in some cases) have an adult criminal record. People like this really skew the stats for the rest of us.

>>34531827
plea bargaining son, get read or somethin.
>>
File: bread n buttuh.jpg (26KB, 608x341px) Image search: [Google]
bread n buttuh.jpg
26KB, 608x341px
>>34526190
If theres one thing ive learned, crime (like any other social norm) tends to fluctuate with social circumstances
these things come and go in waves, sometimes they get better, sometimes they stay "better" but there will always be crime and there will always be those that try to profit from it, either by the crimes themselves or somebody using it to make a point. Welcome to the real world,shit happens. do you part to help when and where you can but enjoy what you have
>>
>>34526227
>Uhh statistics are trustworthy.

My sides are in orbit. Police departments dope statistics infamously hard m8. From downgrading crimes, to refusing to respond to calls or book preps, even straight up editing numbers.
>>
>>34531457
>>34531705

A better correlation for mid/late 20th century crime rates is the use of leaded gasoline, lead exposure in early childhood messes with the brain, people are more likely to commit crimes when they are older.
>>
>>34532176
There's multiple better explanations than "more prisoners means less crimes" really.
>>
File: 1499376700352.gif (1MB, 371x209px) Image search: [Google]
1499376700352.gif
1MB, 371x209px
>>34526298
>OP presents controversial statement thinly veiled as a question
>people disagree
>...
>OP spergs out

Stop
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.