[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First gun- advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

Hello, /k/
Starting this pas February i've begun earning my own money, and i'd like to put it to good use by purchasing my very first firearm.
Since i live in a third world shithole my money isn't worth very much, i have earned roughly $2000 so far this year.
This is now barely enough to buy a real gun.
I'm looking at this ruger gunsite scout rifle chambered in .308 win that would run me almost exactly all of my money
Should i go for it or should i get a 10/22 for literally half the price?
>>
To be specific, i have around ~GTQ15,000, which is worth $2,000
The gun is currently on offer at GTQ14,000, and it looks really good.
Any advice on buying a gun for the first time?
>>
The Savage 11 scout is pretty good which will run you about $600.
However that depends on experience, which new shooters it's generally advised to go with a 10/22.
>>
>>34523266
>completely ignoring the fact that OP isn't in USA
>>
>>34523437
Rip op
>>
>>34523477
rip indeed, friendo
i can't even get a carry license til i'm 25
i'll just keep whatever gun i buy locked up in my house and hope i don't have to go through the legal nightmare that is shooting an intruder
>>
>>34523215
>I'm looking at this ruger gunsite scout rifle chambered in .308 win that would run me almost exactly all of my money
>Should i go for it or should i get a 10/22 for literally half the price?

I own both of these rifles and have for a while now.

I don't actually recommend that you get the Ruger Scout. If you want a box-fed bolt-action, there are other, cheaper options that will give you virtually the same level of quality. The only thing that the Scout really has going for it over other guns is that it looks nice, which is really the only reason I have one. Granted, you can make any rifle look any way you want, but the stock Scout like the one you posted a picture of is just sexy to me.

A 10/22 is nice, but not a replacement for the Scout. They are entirely different guns with entirely different purposes, feels, related expenses, etc.

I suggest that you buy a 10/22 now, do your research about .308's while you save your money up, and then buy something other than the Scout once the time comes.
>>
>>34523215
Are you married to a rifle? Because Norinco sells some pretty nice 870 clones for ~$200 here in the US, which is about as much as 10/22s go for. I'd imagine you could probably get one for a similar price wherever you are. Just in case you're interested pic related is my usual recommendation for newfags looking for a big blade. They're about $30 here in the US, the budget version (2mm instead of 3) is about $20.
>>
>>34523215
Is there much of a second hand market where you are? I bought a Gunsite for my first centerfire, it's fun litte gun but if guns are that expensive for you I imagine ammo is too. That 10 round magazine loses it's appeal if it can't afford to fill it up
>>
>>34523560
This
>>
File: rgs.jpg (2MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
rgs.jpg
2MB, 5184x3456px
>>34523215
I love my RGS but as a first gun it doesnt make a lot of sense. Get the 10/22 and dump the rest of the money of actually shooting. Or, if you really want a 308, get a ruger american (if you can, not sure about your laws but you said scout) and dump the rest of the money into shooting.

>>34523548
>The only thing that the Scout really has going for it over other guns is that it looks nice, which is really the only reason I have one
This right here. Sexy piles of money. If I could only own one, it wouldn't be the scout. But heart wants what the heart wants.
>>
>>34523599

Is that your rifle? It looks nice.

My 10/22 is dressed in a very similar way.
>>
>>34523554
it always seems weird to me seeing "high quality machetes" being sold for such prices
down here i can get a reasonably ok machete for the equivalent of $2 haha

>>34523560
it's pretty shady and esoteric to buy a gun privately here, and i'd much rather do everything above board through a gun store, just to avoid the hassle more than anything
and the thing about the money is, i'm not poor, but i took a minimum wage job after high school so i could serve in the army reserves on the weekends (that's how it works here), and once i go of to college i'll be able to get a much better paying job, i'd imagine.
>>
File: IMAG0578.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0578.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>34523624
Sure is. I swapped the see through rings for a set of lower profile cause the irons are garbage so I never use them like I intended to. But if you get rid of that horrid flash hider and add a can, it really is a slick little gun. Outdated? better options? Ya ya ya but its fun AF
>>
File: 1499806255243.png (1MB, 1272x959px) Image search: [Google]
1499806255243.png
1MB, 1272x959px
''And behold a great red dragon,.'' Rev 12:3
>>
File: 1499806060895.png (583KB, 420x1234px) Image search: [Google]
1499806060895.png
583KB, 420x1234px
Satans 7 heads
'',..A Great Red Dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads,.''' Rev 12:3

https://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/current/cgi/query.pl
Coordinates: 13 48 1.0, -8 28 20.5"
IRAS micron 100

repent the end is near
>>
>>34523755

No, I agree, it's a fun rifle. I love mine. It's actually a shame that I can't tell people that it's also the fiscally responsible option.
>>
File: meth to guns.jpg (147KB, 710x698px) Image search: [Google]
meth to guns.jpg
147KB, 710x698px
>>34523826
Sorry, I wasnt saying you werent agreeing but if you post a scout there will be plenty of anons saying its outdated and there are better options, and I agree with that but its funny how they never seem to be able to post those better options.

> fiscally responsible option
I threw that out the window a long time ago.
>>
Fuck it
I just went to the gun store and held that baby
I'm gonna get it
I don't give a fuck if it's all my money
That rifle is made out of pure sex
>>
>>34524896
Good on you OP. Post results.
>>
if you're not in the US, and you want a good bolt action iron sight rifle, the Tikka Battue in 308 would be an excellent option. 6.5x55 or whatever is also a cool choice if you got accessable ammo for that.

my buddy has a GSR and he loves it but I think it's meh. working the bolt is rough as fuck and binds up easily.
>>
why not a shotgun or lever action?
>>
>>34528476
Don't like shotguns
I want an actual rifle that would be usable in a combat situation
>>
>>34524896
If you earned only 2k this year, you really wanna buy a gun that shoots relatively expensive ammo?
>>
>>34528603
If you don't understand enough to know why a shotgun would be useful for literally every single purpose you could need a gun for, you shouldn't buy a gun. Lurk moar.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.