[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artillery Shells

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: Gun_Data_Projectiles_pic.jpg (87KB, 985x685px) Image search: [Google]
Gun_Data_Projectiles_pic.jpg
87KB, 985x685px
How do artillery shells work?

Does all the propellant come inside them like rifle cartridges, or do you load powder bags behind them?

I'm mostly confused because I notice sometimes they just load up a single shell, and other times they load up a shell and then a bag of powder.
>>
File: 155mm shell casuality radius.jpg (427KB, 1601x2048px) Image search: [Google]
155mm shell casuality radius.jpg
427KB, 1601x2048px
>>34522875

I was unaware of the existence of the "window" shell.
>>
File: Artillery types.jpg (61KB, 511x401px) Image search: [Google]
Artillery types.jpg
61KB, 511x401px
>>34522875
Three types as shown in the diagram. Fixed would be like a rifle cartridge as you said, it's all self-contained but the powder charge can't really be changed to get different velocities. Semi-fixed allows bags to be added inside of the case of the propelling charge to get different velocities, and in separate loading the number of bags can be changed to get different velocities.
>>
>>34522958
Thanks /k/
>>
>>34523013
I'm just waiting for someone who really knows his shit to come and correct me
>>
>>34523030
Artilleryman here, you're pretty much correct.
>>
Read this:
https://www.semperfidelis.ro/request.php?45
>>
>>34522875
True Story, fuck greentexting edition

When I was in second or third grade, a friend and I found a 5" naval artillery shell in a small wooded area connected to my neighbors back yard.

Friend and I, not knowing what it was, rolled/dragged/carried it back to my house. Put it on my picnic table til my father got home from work and told me what it was, and called police.

Cop drove off with it in his backseat. Seriously. Drove like 5 mph back to his station.

Heard later the Navy shot it off somewhere. Apparently it was pretty old and could have gone off while we were carrying it.

To this day I have no idea how it ended up where we found it. I'd love to find out, or even hear a viable theory.
>>
>>34524475
Can you at least tell us your town?

Might have been dropped during any of the number of wars we've had.
>>
>>34524475

They're still finding ordnance from WW I in their fields over in Europe, and they'll still be finding shit from WW II 50 years from now.
>>
>>34523053

Same. I have shot semi fixed 105 mm and seperate loaded 155 mm.

I'm thinking fixed is pretty much a thing of the past as an artillery option but may still exist in direct fire or anti aircraft artillery
>>
>>34525009
>I'm thinking fixed is pretty much a thing of the past
So which is the most common?

Shell and bag?
>>
>>34524935
They find shit in Canada from training for ww1 and 2
>>
>>34526280
Range I worked at was still finding shells from training fro the Boer war.
Yanks still find live shells from the civil and revolutionary wars. A collector was killed ~10 years ago when one blew up in his study.
>>
Fixed is viavle in smaller diamaters.

Once the round is big enough seperate is more practical.

You dont need the metal case , and the associated weight. And can add a precise charge to change the velocity
>>
>>34524865
>>34524935

Holmdel NJ ca 1982ish

It definitely wasn't dropped where we found it. It was sitting on the ground pointing up. There was talk of some boys recovering a crate of grenades around that time, so I'm thinking somebody found it and brought it back to his house, putting it in his back yard as far from his house as he could.

I'd still be curious to know where it was originally recovered. Had to be near water right? A beach maybe?
>>
>>34526156
Depends on caliber, but for 155mm, yeah, shell & bag
>>
>>34527857
> Had to be near water right? A beach maybe?
Or anywhere in between a shell factory and the coast, likely near a railroad.
>>
>>34522922
Same
>>
>>34524475
One of my mum's friends was the son of some missionaries in Papua New Guinea so he grew up there. This was the 60s and 70s so he just collected heaps of WW2 junk, things like rusting rifles, machines guns, bullets, artillery shells and grenades. Most of this stuff was live and it's a miracle he didn't kill himself.

When his parents finished up in PNG when he was in his late teens he packed up all of his war memorabilia, loaded it into crates and took it back to Australia with him. His parents DECLARED everything on their customs entry form and somehow they let him take all the stuff back with him.

A few weeks later someone must have realised they fucked up big time because the police and the military bomb disposal guys rocked up at his house and confiscated all of his dud bombs. As I understand it at the time they let him keep the rusting machines guns and weren't concerned about the rifles.
>>
>>34530063
>Or anywhere in between a shell factory and the coast, likely near a railroad.

I hadn't even thought of that, but that's very possible.

I don't know much about artillery shells. How much of an impact would it need to detonate?

The friend I found it with wanted to throw it against the road to break it open. I talked him out of it, but I'd like to know if that would have set it off, and what kind of damage it would have done.
>>
>>34522875
What is a window Shell?
>>
>>34522922
>>34532453

"Window" is a term for early radar countermeasures. It's basically just a bunch of metal foil that falls down through the air. It reflects radar beams.

Why they made an artillery shell to do this, I do not know.
>>
>>34532986

SEAD missions

Shoot VT fused HE to get them penned then shoot foil between radar and incoming ground attack who finish the job
>>
>>34533045

edit
>incoming ground attack aircraft

back in the day is was pronounced "Sea-Ad", makes me cringe to hear it pronounced "seed"
>>
>>34522875
The question has probably being answered already, but fuck this I guess...

Artillery shells (any projectile of a caliber >20mm) works in the same way as a bullet, at least mechanically, excepting for explosive rounds.
Most shells come pre-packaged with their propellant charge, just like an up-scaled bullet, but the bigger the gun, the bigger the round.
A small 37mm gun's shells rarely weigh above a Kilogram, while larger guns can have shells that weigh 50Kg or more.
For example, an APHE round from a ML-20 152mm gun (WWII soviet artillery) weighs around 48 kilos, or 105 pounds. And this is without the propellant charge, which is itself quite heavy. This is why larger guns often use two or even three-piece ammunition. In which case, the guns are also loaded with bags full of propellant.
And then you have the problem of size: this is more relevant in small spaces, like in tanks, where large rounds can be difficult to handle. Another example: the IS-2 heavy tank had a 122mm gun, which in its artillery form (A-19) had a one piece ammunition. But in the tank, the rounds are in two parts, to make the job of the loader easier, at the cost of a longer reload.

So it mostly depends on the size of the ammunition you're shooting. Otherwise, most of the time, anything under 120mm in caliber is one piece, while everything above is in two piece or more for extremely large guns.
>>
>>34532453
Chaff essentially. It was used to block enemy radar by creating a cloud of highly radar reflective foil
>>
>>34533045

Why not just shoot HE at them instead?

Even one gun tube can shoot a lot more HE than a plane can drop, and in the era when Window was a real thing, planes were essentially incapable of hitting a precision target without using hundreds of bombers and thousands of bombs.
>>
>>34524935
Hell, they're still pulling functional tanks out of bogs and shit in parts of Eastern Europe.
>>
like this
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.