[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning on buying a Glock 23 (Gen 4 obviously) for my CCW, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

Planning on buying a Glock 23 (Gen 4 obviously) for my CCW, but I'm open to any suggestions of a "better" compact pistol. I have a G30 but it's just too damn beefy, sits really uncomfortably and is hard to truly conceal unless you're fat or wearing a lot of layers. I'm pretty much just going by experience here, and the only other handguns I've carried are a Sig226 in .357 and Kahr Mk9 in 9mm, the former being too expensive per round and too big a gun for CC and the latter being too small of a caliber for me to confidently travel with. The availability and performance of .40S&W along with the size of the Glock is enough to sway me at this point.
What does /k/ think?
>>
>>34521239
I'd prefer 9mm but for ccw a compact glock works fine.
>>
>>34521239
I have a 23 for my duty carry. I guess it depends on how you're carrying, iwb or owb or whatever. I have mine owb with something overtop. It's slightly bulky for different types of carrying.

Have you checked out the sub-compact line? I know your sacrificing a few rounds for a thinner smaller gun, but it may be better for concealing.
>>
File: IMG_4535.jpg (128KB, 898x644px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4535.jpg
128KB, 898x644px
Just buy a G30s, the dimensions of the slide forth is the same as the g19/g23 and you have the benefit of already owning g30 mags and having .45 ammo (if you do have ammo)

Just saying, I own one and it's great, though a littler snappier on the recoil since the slide isn't as thick. I think it would be the best budget choice, but if you want something the size of a g23 I'd just go with the g19, it's the gold standard and I don't know if it's a meme or not but I've always heard .40 is shit and it's harder on the barrel/gun

Anyway take all that for what it's worth
>>
>>34522932
*width not forth
And by same dimensions I meant width wise of the slide thickness not length.

Just to be clear
>>
>>34521239
The Glock 23 is a good choice. Only other gun in the same class that I'd recommend is the USP40 Compact, but if you like how Glocks shoot and handle, then just stick with the platform you like. The USP is either DA/SA or LEM, and both are good systems, but it's hard to replace the Glock trigger if that's what you want to shoot.
>>
>>34521239
Don't Gen-4s have an issue with "slide failure" in the thirty-to-forty thousand round range?
>>
>>34523511
No. Who told you that?
>>
>>34523511
>an issue with "slide failure" in the thirty-to-forty thousand round range?

You mean in a range of use that pretty much no privately owned gun sees outside of a really popular shooting range rental?

Even on the cheap end with 30,000 rounds that's $10,000 through the barrel.

Even if that were true, if you can put $10,000+ worth of ammo through a gun, you can afford to buy a new $500 gun after doing so.
>>
Would it be worthwhile to get a G23 and buy an aftermarket 9mm barrel or should I just buy a glock 19?
>>
>>34525479

For a truly reliable system you need to replace more than just the barrel to do a proper caliber conversion. I think you also need to change the ejector and maybe the extractor to 9mm versions.
>>
>>34525513
Thanks for killing my dream asshole.

Guess I'm buying a G19.
>>
>>34526126
It's not like a conversion barrel wouldn't let you shoot 9mm out of a G23. It just wouldn't be 100% reliable is all he's saying. As long as it's just a range toy, who cares, though?
>>
>>34526197
Would it even be worth the trouble? Would need different mags too.

I think I'm just getting the 9mm.
>>
Just gonna ask here instead of making a thread or derailing something way unrelated. I'm looking to buy my first pistol (I'm new), and I was looking at the Glock 42 because of how easily concealable it seems to be.
So is would the anons of /k/ agree that it's a good choice? Conceal carry is my biggest concern, reliability second, price third. Thanks for any answers/suggestions.
>>
>>34526565
There's nothing wrong with the Glock 42, but a Ruger LCP II would be even more concealable (also costs a lot less), and something like a North American Arms Guardian .32 ACP would be even more concealable than that. The Glock 42 occupies a weird niche where it's pretty small, but not as small as the rest of the market, so I just don't see how it's competitive. I own a Sig P938, a Ruger LCP II and a NAA Guardian 32, but I don't see the appeal in owning a Glock 42 (or 43).
>>
>>34526641
>There's nothing wrong with the Glock 42
>.380
>There's nothing wrong with the Glock 42
>.380
>>
>>34526641
Well I've only shot a Glock, compact revolver, and an Beretta M9. That's why I was leaning towards it, because at least I've shot it before. I'm really new to guns, but I'm excited to get going. I could research more and more, go shooting with friends more often, but that requires time and coordination. Thanks for the input.
>>
>>34526806
what do you mean?
>>
>>34526841
It's chambered in .380 and thus everything is wrong with the G42 you dense retard.
>>
>>34526806
.380 is adequate for close quarters self-defense and .380 subcompacts are easier to shoot than 9mm subcompacts, especially for someone new to small handguns.

>>34526824
Get yourself an LCP II and see where that takes you. The price is good enough on this gun that it's not a huge investment (you should be able to buy it for under $300 "out the door" at a brick and mortar store, or even less online). Should you decide that you really want something different, you can never have too many guns. The pocket size gun will always be useful.
>>
>>34526850
Still doesn't answer the question asshole.
>>
>>34526865
Thanks, I like the sentiment of never having too many guns. I can also afford to make a few 'mistakes', if you know what I mean. I'll look into the LCP II.
>>
>>34526885
It actually perfectly answered the question you fucking dense retard.

You asked what i meant, I told you what I meant.
>>
>>34526900
Wonderful, my first time conversing on /k/ and I've already ran into an arrogant fuckhead.
>>
Don't bother with a .40. Bought a G22 .40 cal and a month later bought a 9mm conversion. Already made back my money due to the ammo price difference.
>>
>>34526641
Aren't the .380 Glocks banned in the states?
>>
>>34527173
Banned from import. The Glock 42 is made in Smyrna, Georgia.
>>
File: 1499796262599.png (90KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1499796262599.png
90KB, 650x650px
>>34526126
Oh no, you have to buy one of the most popular and tested compact handguns in the world. I feel for you my man.
>>
>>34521239
I carry a g23. You wont be disappointed dispite what this thread will tell you.
>>
>>34526126
Don't listen to him. All you need to do is swap the barrel. I have the 23 and I have a 9mm and .357 sig conversion barrels. And it's only the .357 sig that needs a different spring.
>>
>>34525479

I have a G35.
Direct conversion to .357 SIG by barrel replacement.
Conversion to 9mm with barrel+extractor+ejector+Mags(lol)

It's not a bad approach.
>>
>>34527550
>.357 Sig conversion barrel

What would even be the point of this? It's not like .357 Sig ammo is any cheaper or more powerful than .40 S&W. It's expensive, you get the same capacity, and you lose a bit of your projectile's penetrating ability.
>>
>>34521239
Compact Glocks are the best plastic service autos for CCW and 180gr .40 S&W is the ideal handgun cartridge.
Proceed with confidence.
>>
File: glock .40s.jpg (242KB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
glock .40s.jpg
242KB, 1350x900px
I prefer the 22, I domnt usually complain about the "snap" of .40 but there is a notable difference between a compact and a full size .40
also IMO the M&P handles the .40 better then glocks, come at me
>>
>>34521239
No get a glock 27
>>
>>34527732
I haven't shot a 22, but I've shot a Glock 17, Glock 19 and I just recently bought a Glock 23. The 9mm Glocks are mild-recoiling, compared to other brands' 9mm pistols. The 23 isn't bad, though. I compared it side-by-side with a Sig P229 in .40 a few days ago and the Sig actually recoiled more strongly and there was more muzzle rise with the Sig. Sure, the 19 is a softer shooting gun compared side-by-side with the 23, but as a standalone pistol, the 23 performs great. I was able to get the sights back on the target quickly and I never thought the recoil was harsh.
>>
>>34527862
>I compared it side-by-side with a Sig P229 in .40 a few days ago and the Sig actually recoiled more strongly and there was more muzzle rise with the Sig.
BTW, the reason this surprised me was because the Sig P229 weighs a full 8 ounces more than the Glock 23.
>>
>>34521239
I have a G23 for my conceal carry. I have an OWB holster for it and a IWB that didn't last long.

OWB is super comfy and easy. You can even wear it under a long t-shirt with shorts on a hot day, printing is minimal.

You can probably get one used from a police officer trade in someplace.
>>
>>34521492
>for my duty carry
>know your sacrificing
Checks out, definitely government employee
>>
>>34525383
>Even if that were true, if you can put $10,000+ worth of ammo through a gun, you can afford to buy a new $500 gun after doing so.
This. If you put 10k rounds through a gun it's time to take a close look at it. If you've put 20k through it and depend on it it's time to replace. You can't drive a car 500k miles and bitch about the engine blowing.
>>
>>34526565
Got me a glock 43. It's a no go for pocket carry if you mind printing, I don't really so I do it anyway from time to time. Other than that it's a good gun.
>>
>>34526850

>muh stopping power

You dumb motherfucker. Stand on the business end of a .380 and take a round to the chest. Then tell us about how it won't make someone change their mind about fucking with you.
>>
>>34528661
>You dumb motherfucker. Stand on the business end of a 5.75mm Velo-Dog and take a round to the chest. Then tell us about how it won't make someone change their mind about fucking with you.
>>
>>34528725

>You dumb motherfucker. Stand on the business end of a slingshot and take a 3/8" ball bearing to the chest. Then tell us about how it won't make someone change their mind about fucking with you.
>>
>>34526968
Don't even reply to his kind
>>
>>34528661
>You dumb motherfucker. Stand on the business end of Crossman 1377C air pistol and take a round to the chest. Then tell us about how it won't make someone change their mind about fucking with you.
>>
>>34528314
The bitch of it is if we want to carry our own weapons in the same caliber we can only get a S&W or a Glock. A lot of choices to go with...
>>
>G23
>having wrists made of noodles
get a G29
>>
>>34526806
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with. 380.
>>
>>34526968
Dude, you're gonna have to learn to deal with that shit if you hang around here, lol. That dude is a faggot. .380 will work, it's just not gonna be as effective as larger calibers. But as a carry caliber it's fine. I personally wouldn't rely on one for home defense though.
>>
>>34528661
>You dumb motherfucker. Stand on the business end of a 2mm Kolibri and take a round to the chest. Then tell us about how it won't make someone change their mind about fucking with you.
>>
>>34530693
Except for how it isn't 9mm.
>>
>>34530784
It literally is, though.
>>
>>34521492
Subcompact Glocks are identical in thickness to normal-size ones.
>>
>>34522932
>compact gun
>made not compact
but...why?
>>
File: SAkuz8o.jpg (144KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
SAkuz8o.jpg
144KB, 1200x900px
>>34532980
>light gun
>made not light
but...why?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.