[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firearms and apartments question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

File: 20161028_181838.jpg (258KB, 750x580px) Image search: [Google]
20161028_181838.jpg
258KB, 750x580px
My apartment doesn't allow firearms or ammo in the lease agreement. In my state at least, you can keep guns encased in your car as they are considered an extension of your private dwelling. And in extremely "gun free zones" such as a college campuses, state Court has ruled students can keep guns in their cars.

So my question is this; can I keep guns/ammo in my car parked in the complex without breaking my lease agreement? My vehicle is my property not theirs, however my vehicle is ON their property which is what I'm not sure of. The lease probably covers all apartment property because it also has a similar rule for shooting off fireworks on the premises.

The reason for this is I ordered some ammo online and it will be shipped to my apartments mail center. They don't check our mail but it might be obvious what it is.
>>
Tenants rights.
>>
>Being this much of a cuck

I lived in a no guns apartment for 8 months and it was absolute hell. Just keep your guns in there and fucking dont say anything. Get a case and bring them in and out at night. Or what >>34521112 said. You do have certain right theyre not really supposed to infringe upon. My landlord found out eventually I had guns and it was pretty much a quick talk about it and never mentioned again.
>>
Many states have laws that prohibit this. Check state and local laws.

If there are laws in place keeping you from lawfully keeping a gun in your residence get a guitar case.
>>
>>34521088
Print out a copy of the 2nd amendment, mail it to your apartment manager, and tell him there will be guns in your apartment and to have a nice day.
>>
>>34521088
what state allows apartment owners to do this?
>>
>>34521088
Buy a few cases that don't look like gun/ammo cases. Nobody will question why your moving a duffle bag or whatever to and from your car. As for online ammo purchases some places offer to over box your ammo so its less obvious with the hazard stickers on it.
>>
State laws tend to preempt any shitty lease agreements.
>>
>>34521274
All of them except Minnesota, Virginia, and ironically enough, California.
>>
>>34521088
>das it mane
>>
>>34521298
State laws won't protect you from landlord choosing to not renew your lease because the unit "needs renovation"

OP get a guitar case and slap a bernie sanders sticker on it so nobody suspects it's an expensive guitar, you'll be fine.
>>
>>34521088

ask a lawyer, but i'm guessing it is legal for apartmnet to restrict guns

as for mailing ammo to apartment what does the return address say ?
>>
>>34521088
Are you an American citizen? You have rights friendo.
>>
>keep guns discrete
>keep mouth shut
>move as soon as reasonable to do so to a non-fag owned apartment or a house.
>>
>>34521088
Double check your understanding of the legal status of your car. Some states consider cars to be "public spaces" and you could run afoul of the law depending on how you keep your guns there. Plus keeping guns in a car is begging to get them stolen.

I'd keep them in the apt and just be extremely discreet. You do have rights, like they can't just go into your apartment and start digging through your closets. They have to let you know in advance they want to access the place and for what purpose, and you have a right to be there when they do, so just put the guns in a room they won't be in and say they can't enter because your gf is asleep or some shit.
>>
File: Jesse-ventura.jpg_(489×324).jpg (18KB, 404x321px) Image search: [Google]
Jesse-ventura.jpg_(489×324).jpg
18KB, 404x321px
>>34521088
>tfw live in Minnesota
>tfw state law prohibits landlords from banning guns
>tfw have a copy of the statute printed out and taped to my gun case in case the landlord gets snoopy
>>
File: 1358279829213.jpg (152KB, 511x511px) Image search: [Google]
1358279829213.jpg
152KB, 511x511px
>>34521088

>mfw my lease agreement was written by an idiot
>mfw it doesn't ban guns/ammo, pets, and doesn't even have a way to kick me out
>mfw it gives me free utilities AND internet

I love people who are really stupid. The "agreement" was just a single sheet of paper that said "You agree to pay the rent on day X of each month, and in return you get to live here with free utilities and internet".
>>
File: 1496925291757.jpg (102KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1496925291757.jpg
102KB, 1024x1024px
>>34521088
I just amended the lease to state no illegal guns, they're usually trying to keep out druggies and gang bangers not law abiding citizens.

If your potential landlord doesn't allow that then I'd take it as a huge red flag and keep looking
>>
>>34521309
>and ironically enough, California
Double edged sword though, you can't evict someone even if they burn down the whole complex due to "rights". And don't get me started on squatters legal protections.
>>
>>34521523
MN statute 624.714 subdivision 17 (e)
>>
>>34521088
I got a guitar case and a violin case. Guitar case holds my AR, and violin holds my pps-43. My sidearm case fits in my backpack, and noone is any wiser.
>>
>telling anyone except your gun buddies that you own guns
>not keeping your guns in a safe or even a poorfag gun cabinet
>not hiding your gun safe/cabinet
>>
>>34521553
>nice pic
Do you know who that is btw?
Also, as a son of a lawyer who works with him in casework, I've had a lot of experience dealing with lease agreements and housing arrangement contracts.
Yours might be the most hastily written shit I've heard of.
>>
>>34521692
>having friends
>>
>>34521088
Do you think they're going to search your apartment? Even the police can't do that unless they have a warrant or exigency. Just hide them somewhere, don't leave them in your car in an apartment complex (which are are notorious for vehicle burglaries).

I had one instance where the apartment staff came into my apartment unannounced for a "kitchen inspection." Apparently they were allowed to make sure there wasn't food lying around causing a roach infestation (after living with black and Indian roommates I can imagine what kind of filth some of them live in so it seems reasonable). But they did give notice 3 days prior, they just didn't say what time they were coming and ended up coming 5 days after so I could have sued.
>>
>>34521231
Clearly someone doesn't understand the 2nd amendment.
>>
File: 1476238041144.gif (3MB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
1476238041144.gif
3MB, 400x303px
>>34521088
Nigger who gives a fuck what some shitty apartment complex does or doesn't allow.
>>
>>34521088
Rent a storage unit and keep everything there. If you're worried about home protection, sneak one gun in and keep it there. No one will ever know if you don't run your mouth.
>>
File: 1461628328934.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1461628328934.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>34521088
>doesn't allow firearms or ammo
>SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
>COME AND TAKE THEM
>YOUR MOVE MR. LANDLORD
>>
>>34522383
>Rent a storage unit and keep everything there.
otherwise know as renting an apartment
>>
>>34522392
The government shall not infringe. Property owners have the right to say no.
>>
>>34522410
You make a habit of living in storage units?
>>
>>34522383
Storage units are also notorious for getting broken into, I took a report not log ago for a guy that had half his collection stolen (pretty good guns too).

Keep them in your apartment, they shouldn't have any right to tell you you can't. You wouldn't be breaking the law, it's a civil matter. The worst they can do is kick you out under the very unlikely circumstance they find out. Also find a new apartment, I can't believe you'd give such a horrible place your business.
>>
>>34522417
>they shouldn't have any right to tell you you can't
But they do, and he agreed to it
>>
>>34522435
Every law abiding American citizen has the right to keep and carry weapons. Why people and states are being allowed to skirt that constitutional protection is beyond me. A civil contract certainly doesn't relinquish his constitutional rights, and no form of punishment would then be just. That place should be put out of business by legal means or not.
>>
>>34522665
see
>>34522411
>>
>>34521309
Better add FL to that list friendo.
>>
>>34521088
>>34521112
>>34521194
>>34521231
>>34521274
>>34521425
>>34521434
>>34522392
This isn't a law issue I am free to have guns legally. However they have the right to refuse service for breaking their lease terms which I signed (it's non negotiable).

I do hide it anyway but in case they find out I'm ordering ammo (which also breaks lease terms) my next move is to claim it never leaves my truck / never entered the apartment.

This isn't about the law this is about maintaining my lease.

>>34522697
Im in FL and it's in the lease that weapons aren't allowed, including knives and any sporting equipment that could be considered a weapon.
>>
>>34522858
I'm OP btw
>>
>>34521112

He probably signed some papers that wave those rights. Seeing as you willing signed it, those rights get tossed out the window.
>>
>>34521088
Are you honestly this much of a fucking pussy you would let some shekel lord no guns shilling faggot tell you that you arent allowed to own guns in the apartment you are paying him to live in.

You should kill yourself by hanging so you dont become a gun violence statistic.
>>
>>34522858
Dude you live in Florida and still don't have guns in the house? what the fuck are you doing? I live in Florida while going to school and I for sure have guns. Good luck showing some nigger crack head breaking in your lease agreement. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>34521362
This. My building allows guns but I don't want them to know I have guns. I just carry mine in a guitar case and nobody has any idea.
>>
>>34522665
Contract law trumps constitutional law if you have chosen to waive your rights.
>>
>>34521484
>they can't just go into your apartment and start digging through your closets. They have to let you know in advance they want to access the place and for what purpose, and you have a right to be there when they do
Many people think this but it simply isn't true, the property owner of a rental property can enter at any time they wish, as the property belongs to them. Also, I am a maintenance technician at an apartment building, and we have it written on our website that we can enter your apartment at any time to address service calls after we receive your email/ phonecall/ you report it to us.

Like other anons said, just get a container (guitar case, whatever) and keep them in there, because going through a tenant's belongings is something that would not go well for a landlord/ maintenance guy. Just keep them out of plain sight and you're golden.
>>
>>34522240
Cleaning/ leak inspections are common among routine maintenance duties at many rental properties, People always complain about such things, but if you don't have anything incriminating/ embarrassing left out in plain sight then you won't have anything to worry about anyways. I've seen everything, and I really couldn't care less about what your apartment looks like; I just want to get in, fix your shit, and get out

t. maintenance guy
>>
>>34522411
Not sure if this is technically the case. Not sure, not a lawyer, but my understanding was the stipulations set forth in the Constitution applied between private citizens as well as between those citizens and the government
>>
>>34521088
They can search your apartment all they want. Tampering with the mail or your car is extremely illegal. Keep that shit in your car, you're good.
>>
>>34523361
>They can search your apartment all they want
No... They can't. Not if OP is American which is what I'm assuming.
>>
>>34523351
Nope.

For example bar owners can kick people out for being loud or saying hurtful things. Business owners can ban guns/vulgar clothing/various states of undress. People can be arrested for trespass if they take an otherwise legal protest on to private property, their right to assemble doesn't extend to private land.
>>
>>34523154
You literally cannot waive rights, they're guaranteed. I sued a former employer for not giving me my check within 48 hours after I quit as per state law. I had previously signed a contract saying I had to wait 2 weeks to receive it, "waiving" a right that's guaranteed by the state. The labor commission representative told my bitch former supervisor they couldn't do that and awarded me 11x what my paycheck was worth. Eleven fucking times what my paycheck was I shit you not... There are some benefits to living in commiefornia I guess.
>>
>>34524497
Do you have the right to tell someone that they can't bring a gun into your house?

So does the apartment owner.
>>
>>34525121
"someone" vs. "tenant" come with very different legal implications.
>>
>>34525220

Right but the second amendment applies to the government, not to private business owners. The legal answer is yes, they can forbid guns on the premises, even if they belong to a tenant.

Gun owners are not considered a protected class under fair housing laws either, so GG.
>>
>>34521088
>contractually trapping yourself into paying some kike fuck to live a shitty human storage box while being denied a constitutional right

>Leasing
>Literally paying more to squat in a shared space than a house payment

Cuckledoodle doo
>>
>>34525253

Also forgot to mention that some states DO have laws on the books forbidding landlords from prohibiting tenant from keeping arms. But this is not in every state, so if no law exists in your state, the answer is 100% yes, they are allowed to bar you from keeping a gun on site.
>>
>>34525220
Not when he signed a lease agreeing to it
>>
not a lawyer.

2nd amendment applies to the government. commerce clause (of what ever amendment) applies to interstate commerce.
everything else is up to state gov'ts.

basically gov't (state and federal) can make laws in so much as they can regulate any other business as long as it doesn't single out the second amendment in my understanding. think protected classes.

though juris prudence will probably come up with a billion exceptions, that are technical and legal, and unknown to me.
>>
>>34522858
>Florida
>weapons not allowed

Literally fucking what?

>including knives and any sporting equipment

So did you just not read the lease agreement before you signed it or some shit?
>>
>>34525269
Most tenants contracts have many nonenforceable agreements.

In most cases, it is a point of civil or appeals court precedents that create a right or protection when it comes to gun rights in apartments. However, if the OP really does have a blanket prohibition in his contract that probably would not hold up in court.
>>
>>34523230
>Many people think this but it simply isn't true, the property owner of a rental property can enter at any time they wish, as the property belongs to them.
please stop posting about rental property and tenants and landlords and such because you obviously have no idea what you are posting about.
>>
>>34527125
>nonenforceable agreements

You really shouldn't talk about contract law if you don't know anything about it.
>>
>>34521088
>can I keep guns/ammo in my car parked in the complex without breaking my lease agreement?

you're going to have to read your lease agreement and see if there is any mention of weapon storage in vehicles specifically. Either way its pretty gray and could swing either way. It would have to go to court but they will start eviction processes since in their opinion you broke contract.
>>
>>34523230
>after we receive your email/ phonecall/ you report it to us.

their are parameters you fucking mong, they most definitely can not enter my apartment without notice, i'm sorry you have never heard of tenant rights, but i'm not surprised for an apartment maintenance guy. Come in any time, if you want to get shot.
>>
>>34527179
Your average tenants contract is usually not enforceable as written.

If it says no weapons of any kind that might not fly depending on what jurisdiction he is in.

I do appreciate your insight though, I'm sure that you could try and float whatever lease agreement you want in a court of law but how much of it is going to hold up? I have never seen a single lease agreement that is completely litigation proof.
>>
>>34521309
Based MN, don't come in without calling, or you get drawn on.
>>
>>34521088
>hng I c-can't defend myself b-because it's against the terms of my l-lease

Maybe you should nod at the apartment people and keep your gun where ever you please?

> how c-can I defend myself without b-breaking my lease agreement

Maybe don't inform your landlord and do what you want?
>>
>>34522858
how the fuck do they expect you to cook since they just banned chef knives?
>>
>>34522858
What kind of ghettosville are you living in they need to prohibit those things?

They don't have a right to rifle through your mail/parcels. They would need to see the box sitting outside of your apartment and be able to identify the ammunition warning diamond on the box. So as long as you didn't leave it sitting there for a couple days you should be fine.

Can also play that it's some sort of toy or something, just a funny sticker I guess. They really have no right to question you about your packages or the contents inside of them.

And if it's in the lease that they are allowed to fuck with your mail, i'm convinced you're living in some sort of halfway house or rehab center.
>>
Its in my lease too but i just dont give a shit. my closet is basically an arsenal.

Just dont do anything stupid, i have a pistol that can shoot 22 short and i keep it loaded in my desk. i could kill a gaggle of niggers in my living room and my neighbor wouldnt hear it.

As much as id like to keep the paratrooper SKS loaded by the door ill have to wait till i get a house
>>
>>34521088
why would you tell the landlord.....
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.