[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yehawwww what kind of katana should I get?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 17

File: tejas.png (449KB, 589x521px) Image search: [Google]
tejas.png
449KB, 589x521px
Yehawwww what kind of katana should I get?
>>
Some autistic mall ninja shit with a lone star etched into it.
>>
take a gander
http://www.bladecultureusa.com/product-category/products/japanese/
>>
>>34516903
wait you mean people in texas couldnt oc fucking blades in texas until now? lmao what a bunch of cucks
>>
>>34516996
careful what you say from here on out
>>
>>34516996
>what a bunch of cucks
Not anymore, clearly
>>
File: fender-katana-guitar-2000.jpg (263KB, 698x2000px) Image search: [Google]
fender-katana-guitar-2000.jpg
263KB, 698x2000px
>>34516903
Fender
>>
>>34516996
Can't in NC either
>>
>>34517084
Well shit me a brick, I've oc'd a ka-bar in NC. Not something I would usually do but I was hiking the AT and didn't have a better knife to take.
>>
>>34517165
Well, you can carry them, just can't conceal them. People say not to do either, because if a cop wanted to be a dick he could say stuff like "Well if you pull your shirt out it conceals it" and fuck with you. But I've never seen anyone get hassled over it.
>>
>>34516903
Get a cold steel two handed katana machete or a Cobra Steel Wakizashi
>>
>>34516903
you can find the best at flea markets. just remember to also don your trenchcoat and fedora
>>
File: IMG_1928.jpg (83KB, 1600x504px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1928.jpg
83KB, 1600x504px
>>34516903
The kind of sword that's better than a katana.
>>
File: Japanese type 32 saber.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Japanese type 32 saber.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34520277
>Katana with a different hilt
Nice try Anon.
>>
>>34520312
>Katana with a different hilt
Neck yourself. It's the 1796 light cavalry sabre. It is the pinnacle of cutting swords, a British sabre based off Central European design.
>>
Is this real or a meme? My bowie wants to know
>>
>>34520277
I wonder if katanas ever went up against sabres in the Samurai rebellions.
>>
>>34520355
>It is the pinnacle of cutting swords
Like I said, katana with a different hilt.

>>34520602
As of Sept. pretty much all of TX's current knife laws will pretty much only apply to select places like hospitals and gov't buildings.
>>
>>34516996
Daggers and blades longer than a certain length were illegal to carry. Single edge knives under that length were fine. Hilariously enough, the state that popularized the bowie knife outlawed them for carry.

That's good news, now I won't have to be concerned if I carry my Infidel around.
>>
>>34520656
>Like I said, katana with a different hilt.
Like I said, neck yourself.
>>
brb moving to texas
>>
File: Shashkafags.jpg (98KB, 610x599px) Image search: [Google]
Shashkafags.jpg
98KB, 610x599px
>>34520799
>Use rope to kill yourself because I can't cut you because I don't own the westaboo katana that I'm dickriding
>>
>>34516996
There are plenty of people that OC knives here, there's just a few rules:
>Can't be double edged
>blade must be no longer than 5 1/2 inches
>Can't be a throwing knife or shuriken
Also I wanna say you can't carry switchblades or butterfly knives
>>
>>34520870
I believe switch blades were legalized about a 1-2 years ago
>>
>>34520854
>"west"
>posts slav holding slav sword
>>
>>34520854
>he thinks katanas are the end-all be-all swords because he watches anime in his mom's basement
>he thinks katanas are good because having a one-handed sword length blade on a two-handed grip is superior
>he needs two hands to hold a sword because he's a tiny-dick manlet
>he thinks katanas are good even though they haven't evolved since their initial inception while european swords are straight, curved, single-edged, double-edged and superior in steel quality

"I firmly believe that Wilson died on the instant yet, though he felt the sword in its progress, he, with characteristic self-command, kept his eye on the enemy in his front; and, raising himself in his stirrups, let fall upon the Frenchman's head such a blow, that brass and skull parted before it, and the man's head was cloven asunder to the chin. It was the most tremendous blow I ever beheld struck; and both he who gave, and his opponent who received it, dropped dead together. The brass helmet was afterwards examined by order of a French officer, who, as well as myself, was astonished at the exploit; and the cut was found to be as clean as if the sword had gone through a turnip, not so much as a dint being left on either side of it."
>>
>>34520911
>You will not take out one last frenchie with your dying breath
why even die
>>
File: British 1803 saber.jpg (66KB, 640x299px) Image search: [Google]
British 1803 saber.jpg
66KB, 640x299px
>>34520884
I was going to post a pic of a guy falling on a saber but I couldn't find it.

>>34520911
>he projects because he can't make an argument based on the merits of the swords in question
That "haven't evolved since their initial reception" bit tells me all that I need to know, you learned everything you know from anonymous sources on the internet and haven't bothered to fact check, just like everyone else who ever comes into a katana thread and starts yammering about what's better.
>>
>>34520993
>That "haven't evolved since their initial reception" bit tells me all that I need to know
A katana is a sharpened bar of pot metal and always has been desu senpai. By the time the nips were forced into modernity, swords were already obsolete and the rest of the world had had much better swords for centuries anyway.
>>
>>34520993
>That "haven't evolved since their initial reception" bit tells me all that I need to know
You mean like how you call 18th/19th century sabres katanas on different hilts? What a stupid fucking statement.
>>
>>34521027
>A katana is a sharpened bar of pot metal
Then so are most European swords because the Yuros used the same forge welding techniques as the Japs.

>>34521032
>What a stupid fucking statement.
Maybe to you, but frankly I think that's because you don't know much about this topic.
>>
>>34521228
>Maybe to you, but frankly I think that's because you don't know much about this topic.
Not an argument. You still haven't explained why you think sabres are katanas on one-handed hilts.
>>
File: Patton_Saber.png (51KB, 500x196px) Image search: [Google]
Patton_Saber.png
51KB, 500x196px
>>34521380
>Not an argument.
Neither is simply insisting that X is better than Y but I guess I'll play along. A saber, by its most basic definition, is a single-edged curved sword and katanas fit that description. In practice the word saber is even more nebulous.
>>
>>34521440
You're correct. One could say that a katana is a type of saber because it's a curved backsword. However, earlier you said that a 1796 light cavalry saber is a katana with a different hilt. That's like saying a rectangle is a square. It should be the opposite. That specific saber has its origins from a different geographic area than Japan and was designed by an Frenchman who served in the British Army.

You also posted an image of the Patton Saber which is not really a saber since it's not curved. It's a sword that's meant to be used on horseback like a lance. It's more of a dedicated thruster.
>>
>>34521551
>earlier you said that a 1796 light cavalry saber is a katana with a different hilt.
Put that same blade in a longer hilt and take it to Japan a few centuries ago and call it a katana and nobody will say otherwise.

>the Patton Saber which is not really a saber
That right there is the crux of the problem. Sword terminology as it is today is a fairly recent thing and as such is highly subjective. A good example of that is what exactly makes a cutlass, to some it's as simple as whether or not a sword is on a boat at the time and those people technically aren't wrong.
>>
>>34521228
>Then so are most European swords because the Yuros used the same forge welding techniques as the Japs.
Except the nips continued using the same techniques long after they were outdated in the rest of the world due to bad metal and isolationism. Also, while early period europeans were using similar techniques, there's no reason that even a substandard steel pattern welded blade has to be as crudely shaped as a katana.
>>
>>34522215
>the nips continued using the same techniques long after they were outdated in the rest of the world
And when exactly would you imagine that might be?
>crudely shaped
I'd bet you couldn't sharpen a convex edge let alone make one.
>>
>>34522685
Nip steel was surpassed by Indian crucible steel before nip steel even existed. Europeans were working with objectively superior steel to the nips by the 9th century at the latest, and even that was over a millenia late.
>>
>>34522913
self PS: look up ulfbehrt swords and how much they scared/impressed dirt-farming Europeans of the time, and consider that the Indians had been making that quality of steel for generations. And then consider that the Japs literally didn't have that quality of steel until the fucking industrial age.
>>
>>34516903

I plan on getting me a nice double-edged boot knife.
>>
>>34522854
>You do realize that your chart is just a display of sadness that shows how shitty nip steel was right?
That chart concerns Europe Anon.
>Europeans were using objectively, technologically superior indigenous steel (compared to the nips) by the 9th century at the latest
According to who/'what? Show me an analysis.
>by that time the Indians had surpassed them
Everyone knows about Wootz steel and muh Ulfbehrt Anon but T B H that just seems like you're trying to move goalposts.
>>
>>34522685
Also, one more thing: You do realize a convex edge is literally an axe edge, right? Even if edge geometry were something impressive, which it isn't, you're talking about basically the crudest edge for the crudest tool. The reason katanas have a convex edge is that it favors robustness over cutting ability, which the quality of nip steel required despite the katana being a cutting sword with a poor point.
>>
>>34523021
>That chart concerns Europe Anon.
Yeah, that's why I deleted that post, lol. I just glanced and assumed, desu. Nips didn't have homogeneous steel at any point covered on that graph which would have made it fairly obvious.
>>
File: How convex actually works.jpg (42KB, 800x454px) Image search: [Google]
How convex actually works.jpg
42KB, 800x454px
>>34523033
This reads like you just Googled convex grind. The point of a convex grind is that it's sharp and sturdy and has no shoulder. I'm sure many axes to have convex edges these days but it's not like that's exclusive to them. These days you see convex edges on everything from fighting knives to machetes.

>>34523083
>I just glanced and assumed, desu.
Real talk, how am I supposed to take you even remotely seriously after that? You looked at a graph of Yuro sword composition and called them shit, that's not the kind of thing that you can just say "oh, nevermind" to when you find out that they're actually European.
>>
>>34523213
>Real talk, how am I supposed to take you even remotely seriously after that?
Don't really care? It's not like I'm gonna take the time to analyze it, I'm not a payrolled historian. Once I took a closer look I deleted the post anyway.

>These days you see convex edges on everything from fighting knives to machetes.
One, you don't really cut if you're forced to fight with a knife, not if you have any sense about you. It's a thrusting tool. Second, a machete is a brush tool. Neither is suited to nor being used for cutting through things like gambeson, soft metals or even thick clothing, which other swords of the time would have been preferable for.
>>
>>34517080
Underrated.
>>
>>34523317
>It's not like I'm gonna take the time to analyze it
A quick glance at the filename should've told you what was up Anon, that's not a herculean effort.
>knives are for stabbing and a machete can't cut through metal
That's all aside from the point that I was making but I'll go ahead and point out that no sword cuts through metal perhaps with the exception of the lead rods that were sometimes used for test cutting.
>>
>>34523480
>That's all aside from the point that I was making
You weren't really making a point because you never had one. I said a katana is a crudely shaped bar of pot metal and you said "muh convex edge is so sophisticated". Here's the counterpoint: a convex grind is not sophisticated, nor is pretty much any other edge grind (it really just depends on the limits of your material and its purpose what grind you use, not technical knowhow), and a katana is a crudely shaped bar of sharpened pot metal.
>>
>>34523480
PS yes, a good sword can cut through soft metal relatively easily. Like the example with the brass helmet someone posted earlier. Can a katana? I don't know, but certainly not as well as swords elsewhere that could dedicate themselves to the cut more strongly due to better materials and construction.
>>
>>34523773
>I said a katana is a crudely shaped bar of pot metal and you said "muh convex edge is so sophisticated".
Actually I said "then so are most European swords" and you later said the same thing but deleted the post. We've already established that you don't know what you're talking about I can't imagine why you're still trying.
>>
>>34524253
I just didn't read your pointless graph desu. Sorry that triggers you but it doesn't change the fact that historically Japan lagged in metallurgy centuries behind Europe let alone central and east asia. These places all used crucible steel which far surpassed anything Japan came up with, let alone later period homogenous steel which is basically magic compared to the trash in any contemporary katana.
>>
>>34524364
>I just ignored your evidence so I could continue to meme without reality getting in the way
OK.
>>
>>34524482
>I just ignored reality so I could keep harping on the same point without addressing commonly known historical fact
OK.
>>
>>34516996
They still are. They only changed this law so they wouldn't have to deport all the beaners they've been arresting for carrying knives.
>>
File: 1467056136438.png (428KB, 558x744px) Image search: [Google]
1467056136438.png
428KB, 558x744px
>>34516903
>Not carrying a bowie knife on your left hip and a .357 magnum on your right
And you call yourself a Texan?
>>
>>34524495
>commonly known historical fact
That's a laugh riot coming from the guy who shat all over Yuro swords earlier.
>>
None of them
>>
>>34524661
I barely glanced at your graph and made an offhand remark then deleted it. Horror. It's like it's 4chan or something.
What argument would you try to make to someone who didn't have that as a point of reference? Do you just make up a completely fictional historical record where Japan actually has good crucible steel like everyone else? Do you just pretend that it doesn't exist? I wanna know.
>>
>>34524738
>It's like it's 4chan or something.
Ah, the age old excuse for saying dumb shit on the internet.
>>
>>34524776
So you don't have an argument, katana cultist?
>>
>>34516903
is that you pan pizza?
>>
>>34524785
>So you don't have an argument
I posted an argument and you ignored it and then tried to misrepresent it and now you're calling me a katana cultist in an attempt to invalidate it because you probably can't address it. Posting another for you to ignore would be pointless. You shat all over Yuro sword composition when you thought it was Japanese, show me something that shows that you were wrong.
>>
>>34524862
So you don't have an argument, katana cultist?
>>
>>34524869
(You)
>>
>>34516996
Reminder that despite California having way more cucked laws, they still had better knife laws than Texas until recently.
>>
>>34524969
*teleports*
>>
File: 09-501441.jpg (46KB, 478x650px) Image search: [Google]
09-501441.jpg
46KB, 478x650px
>>34523317
>One, you don't really cut if you're forced to fight with a knife, not if you have any sense about you
I hate this meme.

It reeks of "I don't know anything about using a knife, but I parrot a bunch of shit I read on /k/"
>>
>>34525027
>you totally cut with knives, here's some knives designed to cut see
Sure. If you have a kukri or some other big bellied cutting knife in that vein, or a machete. Just don't expect much from the knives people generally carry around, including bowie knives under "approaching short sword" length.
>>
>>34525066
>Just don't expect much from the knives people generally carry around

The same applies to thrusting with the average knife people carry around, but people act like cutting from anything short of a greatsword will do anything while a thrust from a swiss army knife will instantly kill you.
>>
>>34525079
>The same applies to thrusting with the average knife people carry around,
There's a reason I said "forced" when I replied to that guy. I don't see any reason to actually choose to use a knife to defend yourself beyond sheer last resort.

>but people act like cutting from anything short of a greatsword will do anything while a thrust from a swiss army knife will instantly kill you.
Well, no. But that little knife you're typically carrying will thrust its length into a person much easier than it will cut any depth into them (if at all, even a single layer of fabric can bind up a cut with a small blade). That's all it is.
>>
>>34525105
>Well, no. But that little knife you're typically carrying will thrust its length into a person much easier than it will cut any depth into them (if at all, even a single layer of fabric can bind up a cut with a small blade). That's all it is.
There are cutting tests of people who can routinely cut to the bone with a 3 inch pocket knife through a pig that's covered in rope, saran wrap, and jeans.

It's easier to penetrate with a smaller knife, sure, but people underestimate how deep even a small knife can cut, especially when you factor in the other guy moving into your knife.
>>
>>34525126
>There are cutting tests of people who can routinely cut to the bone with a 3 inch pocket knife through a pig that's covered in rope, saran wrap, and jeans.
I've seen cutting tests show the opposite so I'd be interested to see that. Baring in mind that how you set up a test vastly changes how applicable it is (ie: is it braced against an unyielding surface or does it have some freedom of movement? are these cuts feasible against a resistive opponent?)
>>
File: bowie_knife_mcconnell.jpg (101KB, 466x600px) Image search: [Google]
bowie_knife_mcconnell.jpg
101KB, 466x600px
>>34525066
>Just don't expect much from the knives people generally carry around, including bowie knives under "approaching short sword" length.

"Every policeman assigned to waterfront duty was especially chosen for strength, bravery, and huskiness. He was equipped with the regulation night-stick and pistol and also carried, in a large outside breast-pocket within easy reach of his hand, a huge knife a foot or more in length. This fearsome weapon was infinitely more effective at close quarters than a club or the cumbersome, unreliable firearm of the early days. Nor did the police hesitate to use it."

"Several battles occurred in which beleaguered policemen chopped off the hands of their assailants or inflicted other wounds equally frightful, and at least one in which an attacking hoodlum was decapitated. This later feat was performed by Sergeant Thomas Langford, for many years one of the best known men of the harbor precinct."

"Attacked in a second-hand-clothing store in Pacific Street by several men whom he found ransacking the place, Sergeant Langford drew his knife and rushed them in the face of heavy pistol fire. He struck wildly in the darkness, and his first blow nearly sheared the head of one of the thieves from his shoulders. The remainder of the gang, several of them badly wounded by the Sergeant's slashing knife, fled in terror, and thereafter Sergeant Langford was held in greater fear by the denizens of the Barbary Coast than any other policeman in San Francisco."

It was still a large bowie, but it was firmly in "big knife" territory and not "short sword" territory.
>>
>>34517019
Laws in Texas blow. The whole state is a bureaucratic mess.

"Hey let's have a yard sale."
>Need to pay the city for a permit to sell your own purchased property on your own purchased property
>>
File: 1467374445263.jpg (66KB, 395x329px) Image search: [Google]
1467374445263.jpg
66KB, 395x329px
>>34516903
Naice.
>>
>>34525527
I seriously doubt the police would be called to extort protect--I mean, ensure you have a valid permit issued by the city to sell goods and services as a lawful business owner :^)
>>
>>34525158
https://youtu.be/3GjbEsbcPZ0?t=8m34s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWmRWjDhYw

Not saying cutting is better. You're right it'd be easier to get the same depth with a thrust. Just saying a cut from even a boxcutter size knife can still be devastating.
>>
>>34516903
Is it true Montana is what Texas is supposed to be?
>>
>>34516903
none. concentrate on your hat collection
>>
File: 1498861641217.jpg (36KB, 223x349px) Image search: [Google]
1498861641217.jpg
36KB, 223x349px
>Still no constitutional carry

Kill me.
>>
>>34516903
If you don't start carrying pic related, then you are the biggest fag of them all.
>>
File: 61ZRo4yN55L._SL1200_.jpg (70KB, 1200x406px) Image search: [Google]
61ZRo4yN55L._SL1200_.jpg
70KB, 1200x406px
What do yall think about this esee?
>>
>>34516903

A Fairbairn Sykes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDGHKyB3T_U
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.