[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

F-35 Helmet Cam Footage Released

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

File: 1479107790803.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479107790803.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>First ever unclassified F-35 helmet cam footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3vbPEtSbv0

that's it???? where did all the BILLIONS go?!

Amerifuggs and Lockheed shills on a suicide watch!
>>
>>34511305
Looks pretty damn average. Nothing special. Mirage has a better HUD.
>>
>>34511427

who
>>
>>34511427
It's not DAS footage m8. Just nods and graphics.
>>
>>34511305
That's not the DAS display. It specifically says it's the low-light camera mounted on the helmet combined with the helmet HUD display for low-light refueling etc.

Nothing else in the world has this system built into the helmet.
>>
>>34512353
This.

>>34511305
The last 6 seconds of the vid show this low-light amplified camera combined with infra rad DAS and displayed as one image in very low light conditions.

Look at that and tell me who's got a better HMD system deployed right now, or one in even the same ballpark, especially since he's looking through the bottom of the cockpit for part of it.
>>
>>34512387
nigger the google cardboard is more high tech than this shit
>>
>>34512438
>nigger the google cardboard is more high tech than this shit
Look at the last 6 seconds. Left side is night. Right side is day. There is literally no difference, and he's looking through the floor of the aircraft. The system completely turns night into day. Nothing else swings that.

Also, as in everything sensor related for public dissemination, you can bet your ass the images have been subtly but significantly down-washed to protect true system limitations information.
>>
File: DerpNedry.png (278KB, 470x471px) Image search: [Google]
DerpNedry.png
278KB, 470x471px
Here comes the horde of uninformed retards that can't read a video description or understand what IR is.
>>
>>34511305
>First ever UNCLASSIFIED

Answered your own question OP. You massive faggot.
>>
File: 1364834896750.jpg (175KB, 317x699px) Image search: [Google]
1364834896750.jpg
175KB, 317x699px
>>
>>34512817
>butthurt
the post
>>
File: IMG_20170711_151939.jpg (17KB, 918x65px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170711_151939.jpg
17KB, 918x65px
>>34511305
>>
>>34512604
From someone who doesn't know shit about military vehicles:

So the helmets the pilots wear are basically virtual reality helmets? Do the jets have cameras all over them or something? So the pilot can just look into his lap and simply see what's directly below the jet?

Is this new to the F35?
>>
>>34511305
And now
I sit back
and wait for Lockheed-Martin to release a civilian version
>>
>>34513145
>So the helmets the pilots wear are basically virtual reality helmets?
the term is augmented reality

> Do the jets have cameras all over them or something?
yes

>So the pilot can just look into his lap and simply see what's directly below the jet?
yes

>Is this new to the F35?
at this scale, yes
>>
>>34513145
yes to all 4.
>>
>>34511305
As mentioned towards the start, this is NOT showing you DAS footage. DAS is 6 MWIR (thermal) cameras around the aircraft that can be projected similar to what you see in this video. The footage in this video (aside from at the end) is night vision camera footage from the ISIE-11 sensors, located in the pilot's helmet (HCAM) and on the dashboard (FCAM) of the jet (as shown at the start).
>>
>>34513145
>>34513204
> Do the jets have cameras all over them or something?
>yes
>Is this new to the F35?
>at this scale, yes
First sandstorm the airframe goes through and suddenly the pilot's blind. uh oh
>>
>>34513312
i think you'll have bigger problems than the DAS not working if you're going through a sandstorm heavy enough to scuff glass. one problem i can think of would be the engine ingesting sand.
>>
>>34513312
>First sandstorm the airframe goes through and suddenly the pilot's blind

a sandstorms don't reach as high up as planes fly and b if you were to fly through one for whatever reason, you'd be blinded anyway.
>>
>>34513312
>implying sandstorms at 45,000
>implying AN/APG81 doesnt penetrate these magic sandstorms
>>
>>34513312
>flying into a sandstorm
>being fucking retarded enough to even post something like this
>>
>>34513312
>scuffing camera covers
>not scuffing the fucking canopy

Hmm. I wonder how all the other planes do it anon.
>>
>>34513205
>>34513204
That's so high tech, awesome

>>34513312
I think that would apply to the cabin of the jet equally.
>>
Can I get a webm of the actual helmet footage?
>>
>>34513145
>Is this new to the F35?
Yes to all four, but the last yes is the most important. Not even the F-22 has anything close to this. And the really mind-blowing thing is that the F-35s especially can "talk" to each other through an LPI (low probability of intercept, basically a stealth phone) datalink, and to other assets like Aegis ships and AWACS, and ALL the information it gathers gets displayed either in images or symbols for contacts right on the pilot's visor as if he's seeing it himself.

That's what data fusion means, and why the F-35 is so bad ass. It takes radar, infra-red, radar warning receiver and light amplification data not only from its own jet, but everything around it connected by datalink, and then combines all the data to give the pilot a video game-like god mode representation of ALL the data.

Compared to what's in the F-15, F-16, F-18 or even F-22 it's like playing starcraft in god mode with all enemies revealed, where normally it would be like playing starcraft with only a single allied unit's worth of fog of war revealed with occasional contact reports elsewhere in the fog. That's not the best analogy, but it's the simplest one I could think of.
>>
File: EOTS.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
EOTS.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>34513443
I think this is one released a while ago. This is what the pilot would see on his helmet if he used the sensor array under the nose (EOTS) to look really really far away and target something (as opposed to the lower-res non-telescopic sensors distributed around the aircraft - DAS). The helmet combines all of these together into a composite image which the pilot can chose to zoom and mark targets with.
>>
>>34513443
>>34513587
Yeah, that's it. So he's basically 90km away and gets clear and stable enough images to put a persistent laser designator on or target a single hotel room.

You can't really do that in any other single seater aircraft in the world, and you definitely can do it that easily and quickly.
>>
>>34513443
>>34513587
>>34513605
One final note is that these images all look kinda jittery and jerky - that's because the camera is slaved to the pilot's head movement. To him it just feels like looking around as usual, except that someone built radar, IR and low-light amplification into his eyes which now have x-ray vision through his jet.
>>
>>34513605
>>34513621
>>34513554
>>34513587
I dunno, I'd be concerned about the pilot suffering from information overload.
>>
>>34513710
That was one of the biggest challenges of the system - how to bring everything together and display it while giving the pilot easy, simple ways to control what he sees and be able to sift info efficiently.

What they implemented were easy controls to cycle everything from a single source to type of source to all information.

The information itself is displayed with simply symbology unless the pilot chooses to zoom in and visually inspect it. In essence, it works like a video game. The pilot sees what he needs to see when he needs to see it, and all the extra information like, say, confidence value that X contact is an Su-27, is available to be inspected at a moment's notice with easy controls.

Obviously it takes a bit of training to get good with it, but all the info out of the F-35 program has the newbie pilots fresh out of flight school kicking the shit out of the older guys with thousands of hours in Gen 4 birds, because the system is intuitive and powerful, but nothing like the situational awareness procedures for anything that came before it. So the old guys have to break strong habits from their old birds to really "get it".
>>
>>34513554
Thanks for the thorough explanation. It seems like a really advantageous thing to have but a challenge to actually implement.
>>
>>34513587

I have a really hard time believing it's in nautical miles. I doubt it's even in kilometers. That's just ridiculous.
>>
>>34513809
t. Chinese and Russian generals right before the Gulf War
>>
>>34513809
>I have a really hard time believing it's in nautical miles. I doubt it's even in kilometers.
Pretty clearly states 49.1nmi/90.0km...
>>
>>34513826
>>34513832

I'm a optics fanatic and I haven't heard about that 90km range before. It's too good to be true
>>
>>34513798
>It seems like a really advantageous thing to have but a challenge to actually implement.
Weeeeell, that's the rub, of course. It's a game-changing way of looking at tactical aircraft, but it took a metric fuckton of development, money, blind alleys & mistakes, etc. before they got it ironed out to this point.

It was a high cost/high return gamble, and it looks like it paid off. Not as cheaply or as quickly as we could have hoped, but nowhere near as costly either.
>>
>>34513852
>I'm a optics fanatic and I haven't heard about that 90km range before. It's too good to be true
Well, you're free to go read up on the public dissemination material on the F-35 EOTS (electro-optical targeting system) from the DoD, MoD and Lockheed Martin. There's a lot out there. The details of the system may iron out some of your questions.

I would imagine image quality is helped by the fact that that vid was obviously taken in Las Vegas, so very little moisture in the air and with the F-35 at 45k ft up probably less density variance than you might get in, say, Atlanta GA with high humidity and 600ft ASL.
>>
>>34513880

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2q65qOl1tM

Now I see, truly amazing.

>I would imagine image quality is helped by the fact that that vid was obviously taken in Las Vegas, so very little moisture in the air and with the F-35 at 45k ft up probably less density variance than you might get in, say, Atlanta GA with high humidity and 600ft ASL.

Yes but still, that range is amazing
>>
>>34513893
A couple more vids for you with more sensor input:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPc8UlkqYr8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnqeqEtbvo8
Starting at 2:56 in the second one you can see how the radar and other sensors come together and how early HMD symbology looked, and even how they can queue up targets. It's been developed much further since.
>>
>>34513856
Is this new HUD system responsible for the majority of the F35 delays and setbacks?
>>
>>34514144
It's a large portion of the dev timeline, but by no means the majority of the delays. For instance, the latest issues have come out of the ALIS system, which tracks required maintenance, orders parts and diagnoses issues in the airframe for the entire fleet. This means the software knows the flight hours left on every maintained component of the airframe, and can even output fleet-wide statistics for maintenance per flight hour and some portions of O&S cost per year on the fleet.

It's incredibly complicated, and it has to play nice with all three variants across three different branches, all while being secure as possible against data breach.

Just writing the control laws for flight during a variety of maneuvers took a lot of time and caused some delays, but if you look at the results of the recent Paris airshow, you can see that even limited to 7g currently (it'll be 9g with the 3F software later this year), they squeezed a shit ton of instantaneous turn rate and high-AoA precision out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93NdwZAeXhI

TLDR: pretty much everything about the jet is bleeding edge tech wise, and it took a long time to work everything out. But what we got is fucking badass, and a huge leap over the three aircraft it's supposed to replace (F-16, legacy F-18 and AV-8B)
>>
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/07/10/nation-too-broke-universal-healthcare-spend-406-billion-more-f-35

thoughts on this?
>>
>>34514685
What they don't tell you in that article, designed to make people angry and piss and moan, is that cost is spread out over the next 40+ years. They also don't tell you that the overwhelming majority of the cost of the F-35 program (that 1.1 trillion number we always here) is operations and sustainment funding for the entire fleet for the entire service life of the aircraft. No other military aircraft procurement actually went and estiimated complete life cycle cost for the entire projected fleet for the entire service life.

In the real world, we've already built over 200 F-35s, and we've only spent a bit less than 400B on the entire project (over the last 15+ years). The F-35 remains the only 5th gen with an open production line which is actually in service, and it's cheaper than 4.5 gen "competition" like the Typhoon and Rafale.

Don't let hack journalists with an axe to grind twist your nose with misrepresented facts.
>>
>>34514735
how would I frame this in a reply to a friend of mine who posted that link? he's pretty liberal but I've noticed he's slowly becoming more and more like a conservative and I'm trying to be the little devil on his shoulder right now.
>>
>>34514751
Are you going to ask him to do your homework for you next? His explanation was extremely clear.
>>
>>34514766
I guess I can chop it up to make it fairly neutral and short. sorry
>>
>>34514751
Well, you could point out that the US spends less on military funding than at any point since before WWI in terms of % of total GDP, and then point out to him that problems in military procurement and problems with the national healthcare system literally have zero to do with one another, and are both extremely complicated problems. Anyone who suggests that it's as simple as throwing more money at either problem is trying to sell you a line of bullshit.

If he really wants to learn about the challenges in either major issue, he needs to dig a little deeper and actually read up and research all the moving parts to get a clear picture.
>>
>>34511305
>Note: Does NOT show infrared DAS imagery

What a worthless vid then
>>
>>34514791
It's just demonstrating one of the many, many sensor tools available to an F-35 pilot. It's still good data.
>>
We really need to make an F-35 thread Bingo card
>>
>>34514791
The end of the video shows DAS footage you mouth breathing inbred
>>
I don't understand how it works. I could understand if it was a virtual reality mask (non transparent), but an augmented reality screen (transparent) on which is projected the actual environment...? I can't believe the guy doesn't get a massive headache after just one minute, not counting the dozens of datas usually found on the head-up display.
>>
File: image.jpg (455KB, 1154x1020px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
455KB, 1154x1020px
>>34514804
Are you new

I should probably get around to updating it though
>>
similar to the apache HUD. except when we look through the aircraft its the sensor on the front.
>>
>>34515004
Can we make one for the Rafale instead?
>>
>>34513798
Yep, what you're looking at is the real-world implementation of a map-hack in a FPS type game. Think how hard you can fuck the other team when you know where every single other player is... that's what this plane does along with the rest of the battle data network it connects to. Now imagine that you can shoot not just anything you can see, but anything one of your teammates can see, in all conditions, dozens of miles away. That's what this system is all about, and we had to push our engineering capabilities into new territory to make it happen. Video games have tricked us into thinking this stuff is easy, it is not.
>>
>>34513852
Have you ever played around with military grade thermal systems? I'd imagine that the 90km is far short of its actual capabilities, I've worked in the unmanned aerial system world and we fitted a thermal camera to a drone that could clearly see the footsteps caused by the temperature change someone's feet caused on a hardwood floor, through their shoes, 10 minutes after walking across it. And that was several gens old when we got it...
>>
>>34515198
was that one of those nitrogen cooled ones?
>>
File: 1431325510137.jpg (156KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1431325510137.jpg
156KB, 1280x960px
>>34514735
>>34514788
Thanks for this, my plan of him being cool about it didn't work out lol but at least he's not trying to get the last word like he usually does
>>
>>34514144
A large part of the problem is/was basic systems integration engineering. A lot of this tech is not only new but complex AF just from a standalone basis. Take dozens of systems of that nature and try to not only get them to place nice with each other, but also to combine and filter the silly amounts of data these systems provide into a single stream that makes sense to a human who also happens to be flying a jet.
>>
>>34514751
Sounds like if provided with solid info he'll come to the right conclusion.
>>
>>34515209
Helium actually, but yeah. For microbolometer-based systems (currently the good ones) to work properly the sensor has to be cooler than whatever it's trying to resolve.
>>
File: welp.jpg (76KB, 498x281px) Image search: [Google]
welp.jpg
76KB, 498x281px
>>34515253
>>
>>34515308
At this point, it's clear he's not aware of just what the full threat envelope looks like for the US with increasingly sophisticated IADS and A2AD systems. The days of us curbstomping the 4th largest army on the planet without breaking a sweat are long gone.

I'd dig up and send him some links from reliable think tanks and the DoD on what emerging threats are out there, and how we fight them.
>>
File: I tried.png (151KB, 495x889px) Image search: [Google]
I tried.png
151KB, 495x889px
>>34515326
>>
File: 1539.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
1539.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>34512859
OP is always a massive faggot. Go away summer.
>>
>>34514751
Not being libertarian
>Inb4 muh roads
>>
>>34515308
>Cyber Security
HOW ABOUT WE JUST SET THE ANNIVERSARY OF 9/11 AS THE DEADLINE FOR GLOBAL HTTPS ADOPTION, AND THEN KILL ANYONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE HTTPS RUNNING AFTER THAT DATE
THAT WOULD SOLVE A LOT OF OUR PROBLEMS, AND YOU COULD DO IT WITH THE MILITARY AS IT IS

>>34515278
what are the cheap FLIR cameras based on?
>>
>>34515308
Forty years is a long bloody time.

Imagine trying to estimate what you'd need in the 60s (i.e. Vietnam) when you were in the 20s.
>>
File: muh roads.jpg (55KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
muh roads.jpg
55KB, 750x500px
>>34515356
>>
>>34515241
I can imagine. The number of controllers and sensors that have to work together must be immense.
>>
>>34511305
I'm sorry, your Predator vision helmet is where exactly?
>>
>>34513852
Then you are more of an optics idiot.

https://beyondhorizons.eu/2016/08/03/pic-de-finestrelles-pic-gaspard-ecrins-443-km/
>>
>>34515479
Well, it is fair to be a little surprised to see such a sharp image combined from optical, IR and synthetic aperture radar scans in real time from a flying aircraft.
>>
>>34515333
>I thought our president was supposed to be a business genius...

Do these libtards not understand that the f-35 project has been around longer than what Donald has been president?
>>
How primitive

I've seen better.
>>
File: 1489197637360.jpg (15KB, 503x263px) Image search: [Google]
1489197637360.jpg
15KB, 503x263px
>>34515505
what you see is where we're at as far as the conversation goes. Usually he's that guy that goes a bit too far and keeps chasing the argument, but I don't think he's gonna reply anymore
>>
>>34515333
Well, you gave him something to think about. At the very least, you made it clear that the issue is orders of magnitude more complex than he was supposing. I'd leave it at that and let it stew a little while, see if he shows any interest in learning more later.

Changing someone's mind takes time, research and congenial discussion.
>>
>>34515544
>buttblasted slav/chink/other 3rd worlder detected, engage with SDB II
>>
>>34511305
i don't get it why is wthis important why should i get a boner from seeing this?
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.