[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I an idiot for thinking this is good for home defense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 70464_1895GS_Right.png (196KB, 1200x450px) Image search: [Google]
70464_1895GS_Right.png
196KB, 1200x450px
Is the guide gun overkill for that situation? if so what do you guys recommend?
>>
>>34510142

I don't really see anything wrong with it if you know how to use it properly. The main concern that I would have is that .45-70 is gonna over-penetrate.
>>
>>34510142
I have that exact gun. It would be horrendous for HD. Way too loud, low capacity, slow follow-up shots, severe risk of overpenetration.

Use an intermediate rifle, pistol or shotgun like a normal person.
>>
File: 136_1000.gif (1MB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
136_1000.gif
1MB, 300x226px
>>34510158
>>34510167

Thank you for your thoughts.
>>
if youve got/want to use a lever gun for whatver reason id suggest somethibg like an 1892. .357 or .44 is pretty potent out of a 16+" barrel and you get pretty much the same capacity as any handgun in a ban state.
>>
>>34510170
>>34510167
>>34510158

basically what these guys said

45-70 is a big ass bullet, if you shoot it in your house it's gonna be loud as fuck and it's gonna overpenetrate
>>
I'd say 45-70 is overkill for Tyrone and Jamal but if you can work the action reliably I'd say go for it.
Just make sure you know what's behind your target, as you'll likely hit whatever that is too.
>>
>>34510405
>>34510923
Jumping back in. That's not to say lever actions are a bad choice in general, just that 45-70 is a bit too much bullet. If you're dead-set on using that marlin, you would probably do well with lighter cowboy loads, with an expanding projectile. Now that could be a pretty lethal HE gun, and roughly on par with a 12ga.
>>
>>34510142
If you are dead on for a lever action for hd :

any 357 mag or .44mag win 1894 or clone

any 30-30wcf like win 1894 or marlin 336 or rossi or taurus... don't buy a front loading tube fed HENRY!

a savage 99 in 308win or a BLR on 308 or 30 06...

45-70 is for knocking down a buffalo @200yds with ONE eventual follow up shot...

357 don't kick at all and contain 12/15 rnd on a rifle lenght gun
44 cost more and holds generally 10/12

30-30 hold 6 to 8 and will fuck a deer or a man @150yds easy while being less snappy than a milsurp mosin
>>
>>34511541
Henry also makes a Long Ranger spitzergun now. In .308 it'd be a decent durr gun.
>>
>>34510142
If you're getting attacked by bear ninjas sure this would fit the bill but against the average cat burglar I'd change the round to be a copper jacketed bullet filled with copper tin zinc composite (basically a gaunt varmint grenade) cause putting a huge hole in a person just doesn't get me hard enough anymore.
>>
File: IMG_0741.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0741.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34510142
Having recently bought a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, I have some info you should probably know.

I purchased the gun last month, it is a new manufacter, 2017 Gun. The first day I had the gun, literally 20 mins after I got it back from the FFL, I loaded a few rounds into the tube to function check it and, to my amazement, it jammed horribly upon trying to cycle the first round.

I could not disassemble the gun due to the severity of the gun and the position the lever was stuck in, so I had to call Marlins CS department to try to find a solution.

A woman answered the phone and quickly suggested I send the gun into them for a warranty repair, (which was impossible due to rounds being in the gun.) After I made it clear to her that I couldn't ship the gun in its current state, she recommended I see a gunsmith. I then asked where the closest Marlin affiliated gunsmith was to my location (South East MI) and was told to drive to Illiniois....

After hanging up, a 2 minute search on google revealed THE LARGEST MARLIN WARRANTY REPAIR CENTER IN THE MIDWEST is 20 mins from my house.

I took the gun in, they replicated what I had after clearing the gun and it was clear the action was off timing. I then waited 2 weeks to get the gun back, although it was ready in a week because I was out of town. This was Thursday.

I shot the gun a bit this weekend, it's crazy fun and all, it makes things blow up big time, but then I had another critical failure with the gun...

Yesterday, when I brought the gun to the range to get my desired zero, upon loading 3 rounds into the tube, the loading gate snapped and rendered the gun inoperable. (pic related)

I had to drive back to the repair center to pick up the new loading gate, but this is massively annoying and unacceptable.

I highly, highly recommend you don't buy a Marlin. I'm lucky to live so close to a place that does warranty repairs and has reasonable hours.
>>
>>34512133
We'll shit. I was considering getting a Marlin guide gun because Henry doesn't have a loading gate. I've heard they improved in recent years. Damnit Henry just make a damn loading gate gun.
>>
>>34510142

Pic of gun in question >>34512133
>>
Work up some subsonic loads with a heavy bullet. Big slow bullet won't do too much harm in regards to over penetration or noise (as opposed to a comparatively hot hunting, but should still do a number on whatever it hits.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422131
I found this thread on the duvet รค subject of subsonic .45-70 after some poachers were caught in my area - They used a Baikal single shot rifle in .45-70 and a Remington 700 in .458 SOCOM, both with suppressed barrels and, respectively, suitably bright scope and IR scope.
Didn't go too well for them in the end, even though they put all that money into gear - the coppers sent in a dog who sniffed them out real fast.
>>
>>34512498
*on the subject of
I'm sorry, I had a stroke and thought it would be a good idea to post from my phone.
>>
OP must live in a REALLY bad neighborhood. If you really do need to defend your home from meth-head eating polar bears, go for the 1895SBL; it has a top rail you can mount lights and stuff on.
>>
>>34512133
Glad I didn't buy a Marlin recently when I heard about the crazy rebate they have going on. Sounds like it's not even worth $400.
>>
>>34510142
The caliber isn't overkill, but the action is outdated.
>>
>>34510158
>over-penetrate
>>34510167
>overpenetration
>>34510894
>overpenetrate
>>34510923
>Just make sure you know what's behind your target, as you'll likely hit whatever that is too.

Wrong! Sectional density, bullet construction, and speed are what determine penetration. Having a fatter bullet actually gives you less penetration.
>>
>>34510142
If it works for you then no.
>>
>>34510142
The only reason to use this for home defense is if Grizzlies breaking in your house is a thing. Like, Alaska.
>>
Is it the absolute best gun you could pick? Nah.

Is it perfectly adequate? Yeah.
>>
>>34511598
I'm picking mine up on Friday and am totally freaking out about it.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.