[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gib dome proteckshin pls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (99KB, 450x573px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 450x573px
So /k/, I've been seeing some PASGT helmets at surplus stores and LGSs going for $70 on average, and I want one to go with my woodland BDUs. Only issue is, they all look pretty damn old, and seeing how they're made of kevlar, they might be degraded past the point of functionality (I'd at least want it to be intact enough to be able to stop a few pistol caliber rounds and not just look cool). So assuming they aren't rendered completely useless from age, should I buy one and spend extra on giving it a new cover, suspension system and chin strap? Or should I be looking for something else entirely and get it when I'm not poor so that I have a guaranteed functional helmet?

I haven't found anything too definitive on what the actual useful life of a PASGT is, so I hope you guys know

Pic related, I'd like to have that elastic strap as well to keep a ten round AR mag in or something
>>
>>34507383
things like uv and dampness degrade kevlar, being encased in epoxy and covered in paint protects against that. as long as it isn't beat to hell it will last longer than you. they are going to offer as much protection if not more as the newer kevlar helmets cut for weight and coms.

there are suspension systems occasionally available pretty cheaply the usual places.
>>
I'm also looking at PASGT.
Bump for solidarity
>>
>>34507383
I support you looking for some dome protection. I would get a good bump helmet first.

Take a look at the helmets at Tactical Night Vision Company. They range from cheap but ok, to fuckin guchi vendi prada
>>
>>34507493

The ones I've seen are about passable in condition at the lowest end and have probably been stored right, and I imagine that they're a somewhat sealed system anyway, so perhaps a few out of the 19 layers of Kevlar in the things are still just fine
>>
File: IMG_0446.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0446.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
$70 is a bit high, i want to say i paid like $50 for mine. you definitely need the upgrade kit not just for comfort but it also makes it mor functional at stopping head trauma, and for that price you can get something more modern also used. so unless you really have a boner for the aesthetic dont bother. all that being said i totally have a boner for the aesthetic and own one myself
>>
>>34507497
keep looking, i've got two pasgts and an ach. don't think i paid more than $20 for any of them.
>>
>>34507383

Look on eBay as well for PASGTs and ACHs, you can get a PASGT for $40-50 and an ACH for ~$100.
>>
File: rbspasgt1.jpg (698KB, 800x985px) Image search: [Google]
rbspasgt1.jpg
698KB, 800x985px
go with a pasgt off ebay and get the skydex helmet upgrade kit or equivalent.
>>
>>34508417
That helmet cover is rad, where did you get it?

Or did you make it yourself?
>>
>>34507383
>>34507497
Kevlar does not exactly "degrade" on its own. It's the use that does it. UV and moisture are the worst things for kevlar fibers, followed by obvious shit like like pummeling the armor around.

That being said, kevlar HELMETS are made out of composite structures, meaning tons of layers are sandwiched with glue and plastic and shit to form a hard material. This stuff doesn't really go bad unless you kick it around like a football.
I've seen some amateur range tests online, with some 30yo PASGTs stopping 9mm and .45acp like a boss. That's already more than they were designed for, and BTFO of steel pots.

Now all that said and done, I own several PASGTs myself, and those prices are a bit steep. The most expensive one I've purchased was around 50$, and it came with MICH-style chinstrap and padding.

One good alternative for PASGTs would be the British MK6 helmets. They're made out of ballistic Nylon composite, but they too are more than enough to stop 9x19. They're very light and comfy too; would rather wear a vanilla-form MK6 over stock PASGT.
>>
The PASGT was actually over designed, which is why it's so heavy compared with the old steel pot and the new MICH. So unless you see that the green outer paint shell is extremely deteriorated, than it'll be fine.

After having worn the damn things for so long, I would recommend skipping it and going with the MICH instead. Good protection, and lighter, so it's easier to wear for extended periods without having the desire to take it off and throw it in a river.
>>
>tfw bought a PASGT helmet in good condition for $50 at pawn shop
>tfw wear it as a helmet on my scooter
>>
>>34511808
Yeah, between the 2-point chinstrap and the low cut on the back of the helmet, it would get bumped down over my eyes every time I went prone if I wasn't wearing a cap under it.

The default MICH is miles better, and a MICH with a nice aftermarket strap is good enough to not really make me pine for an upgrade.
>>
>>34511808
PASGT with ACH/MICH padding and strap system upgrades are perhaps the most practical personal protection for penny-stretching poorfags.

If that's a no-go for any reason, and weight + comfort are important, then I would suggest the MK6 helmets.
>>
>go to range
>see guy in helmet
>laugh
>>
>>34512213
>some 40lbs skeleton is blasting her oversized gun and keeps waving her piece around
>shots fly towards your skull
>die because lack of protection

On the more serious note, some people may just be training for more serious use and/or mil-style 3-gun sports, that require you to wear minimum of 10kg gear.
>>
>>34512368
A place near me holds tactical night time 3-guns (after doing their normal daytime 3-guns) where the bar to entry is having your own NODs. It's kinda neat.
>>
File: 100_0124.jpg (516KB, 1200x1052px) Image search: [Google]
100_0124.jpg
516KB, 1200x1052px
I still have my PASGT from the Army. I prefer it to the ACH.
>>
>>34512545
Having had to wear both for the Army myself, literally why? Just nostalgia reasons?
>>
>>34512558

I prefer the PASGT's suspension and the ~30% extra skull coverage isn't bad either.
>>
>>34512577
I think I'm going to have to just leave it at that, because preferring the PASGT suspension and more bulk is so alien to me.
>>
>>34512545
>t. never did 12-30 mile foot movements on roads, trails, or cross country under load in the blazing sun for days at a time
>>
>>34507383
Found one in never issued condition at a gun show. Talked the guy down from 120 to 60 dollarydoos. Came with a woodland cover.
>>
Where are some legit and cheap places to find PASGTs?
>>
>>34516063
antique markets
milfag's garage sales
ebay
>>
>>34512558
have both no real difference really liked the setup of the PASGT better but AH is newer and I trust it more
>>
>>34507383
They've tested old PASGT helmets that are supposedly "expired" and they still managed to stop a 7.62x25 tokarev round. It wouldn't be my first choice but since I'm a poorfag I'm more than happy to have an old PASGT as opposed to no head protection at all. For the price, I'd get it and then once you get more money for something newer give the PASGT to someone else in a SHTF situation.
>>
>>34509436
my wife made it for me out of extra rhodie camo from the Kommandostore sale.
>>
>>34507383
>surplus kevlar
Don't do that.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.