[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MRSI Missions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 800px-Evers_AMOS.svg.png (44KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Evers_AMOS.svg.png
44KB, 800x600px
Question about MRSI artillery missions. How specifically do they ensure the shells all hit at the same time.

Does each shell have a different amount of propellant in it.

Or is there something about the parabolic arcs that just makes it happen with identical shells?
>>
>>34507069
Russia uses a JDAM like add on to their shells called Dinamika. It'll home onto the GPS coordinates as long as it is possible. The downside is it costs $1,000 to put the kit into an ordinary shell.
>>
>>34507069
You don't need vastly different amounts of propellant if you can do calculations for the parabolic arcs. It's actually really neat how they do it. There's tons of videos on how it works on YouTube and all sorts of marketing vids for it.
>>
>>34507146
>You don't need vastly different amounts of propellant
But are you saying there are still marginally different amounts?

I'm mostly wondering if the shells come prepackaged that way or you're able to adjust the amount on the field.
>>
Artillery shells aint fixed to cartridges son.
>>
>>34507429
Oh. I see.

Huh, that makes sense now. So the explosive shell remains the same, but the crew can load up different amount of propellant?
>>
>>34507069
>>34507321
Not completely relevant but iirc, Napoleonic era cannons would beable to calculate two firing arcs for every range. High register being greater than 45 degrees and low being less.
>>
>>34507499
I dunno about traditional arty but mortars at least have ring-like charges for propellant that snap around the base of the shell. Add or subtract charges to fix distance.

I would assume it's similar for gun-type large diameter pieces too, instead of rings I think it comes in pre-measured bags that get loaded into the breech behind the shell.
>>
>>34507069
They do it just like your picture shows, motherfucker.
>>
>>34507069
Your questions are directly answered here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery#MRSI
>>
>>34507069
The higher you shoot the round, the longer it takes to reach the ground.
>>
>>34507499
Yes. Arty powder typically comes in bags, and the crew load a number of bags behind the shell (sometimes the bags are placed in a brass cartridge, more often they're rammed in bare) based on their calculations.

MRSI-capable pieces generally have autoloaders that select the correct number of bags rapidly and automatically--I think that every piece so far that can do MRSI has an autoloader. Could someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.