[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RAS-47

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_3308.jpg (64KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3308.jpg
64KB, 1155x1155px
Can someone tell me objectively why the RAS-47 is a bad AK? I know it's not the best, but what would stop someone from upgrading it to be a great AK? It's cheap and the one I fired (pic related) operated flawlessly.

Also, it's one of the few widely available AKs in the USA. With the market this tight, why shouldn't I buy one for my first AK?
>>
I suggest you search akfiles.com for your answer. Lot's of good info there.

Short version: shit metallurgy.
>>
>>34506609
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7eK2SmGYM&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bSiyfENeiQ&t=911s
>>
>>34506609
AKs aren't like ARs where you can swap out the non-shit parts. Unless you own some specialized tools and know how to use 12-ton presses and blowtorches and rivets and shit, once a part's on an AK, it's basically there forever.
>>
>>34506609
The C39 V2 is a bit better because of the milled receiver but it still has the problem of a cast bolt carrier. With that said, if you put a polish bolt carrier in the V2 you'd probably have an AK that would last you for the rest of your life. Although I'm not sure I can say the same for the RAS 47.
>>
>>34507935
Stupid question from an ak noob Can you even put a regular carrier group on a milled rifle? I thought they had different shaped carrier.
>>
LGS I part time at has had three, all got sent back. Barrel pin fell out on the fire while firing, second one, gas block cracked after third shot, third, firing pin broke in the first week. This is some IO level shit here.
>>
>>34508991
They're slightly different but totally interchangeable
I have an M70 bolt carrier in my AK built from an AMD-65 parts kit and it's never failed
>>
>>34506609
>that gas block
I've never noticed how bad that is, christ
>>
>>34506609
Poor assembly. Switch to a milled receiver is nice but does not address already existing problems with Century being COMPLETELY FUCKING INCAPABLE OF CONSISTENCY.
>>
>>34508991
It's not that the carrier has to be different, it's just that people still using AKs vs AKMs are also using the same tooling they have since the early 60s.
>>
cast bolt, receiver, trunnions, and other parts that should be forged or at least milled or at least not cast by monkeys (I bet Ruger could do an AK with cast parts right)
also no bayonet lug or cleaning rod and comes with cheapshit garbage furniture unless you shell out for the ugly magpul editions (although the shit would can be swapped out)

you're always better off buying a WASR or N-PAP for only a little bit more
>>
Please OP, I beg you to listen to me. DO NOT BUY A US MADE AK.
>>
>>34506609
The ras-47 has trunnions that will break with heavy use. Stamped receivers can be great if they are made with a high degree of precision, otherwise any poorly fit part will become a stress point leading to failure. This happens with the ras-47.
It's not that all Centuries are garbage.
c39v2 having a milled receiver and no trunnions is a good gun.
>>
>>34506609
BUY A WASR
U
Y

A

W
A
S
R
>>
>>34506609
Its shit compared to the wasr.
>>
>>34510783
>Its shit.
There ya go, fixed that for you.
>>
>>34510783
>>34510754
What exactly is the difference between an NPAP and a WASR?
>>
>>34510803
N-PAP has proprietary furniture.
>>
>>34510803
well, for one they're made by different companies in different countries

the N-PAP takes different Yugo style furniture
the barrel is not chrome lined compared to the WASR's chrome lined barrel
the WASR uses plates welded into the receiver instead of dimples to stabilize the magwell

other than those differences (and typical variations between companies/countries in AKs), they're both relatively normal AKM type rifles
both have hammer forged barrels, accept normal mags out of the box, and will generally be reliable serviceable rifles
>>
>>34510835
>

This guy gets it. I've owned both and I ended up selling the N-PAP since it was super not comfortable with it's chubby buttstock desu. Not a bad rifle at all, just didn't fit my cheek weld comfortably. Take that into consideration and hold both before you buy.
>>
>>34511179
also take into consideration that these days, N-PAPs come with a traditional AKM style stock
the attachment method is still Yugo style, but the stock is normal profile (but shitty and soft)
>>
File: Snapchat-2129875855.jpg (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2129875855.jpg
1MB, 1080x1920px
RAS47 owner here. They have cast parts and they are slapped together in a fashion to fall apart. I could say I got lucky with my RAS but its really a hit and miss and not worth the chance. Im coming up on 4k rounds on a completely stock rifle (replaced the wood) without any issues. I check my headspace and rivets after every shooting and tgis has honestly become my go to innawoods rifle. I love it. That being said, I would probably never actually buy one. The only reason I have mine is a friend was in a financial pickle and needed money fast. Needless to say, I got it at about half of retail with 1000 rounds of 7.62×39.

>>34509140
Are they though? Because I have an east german carrier I would love to throw on mine, but everyone says it will affect the headspace.
No matter how bad you fuck up, dont buy an I.O. they make the RAS47 look like perfection
>>
>>34511363
Bolts aren't interchangeable, those require headspacing. Bolt /carriers/ are totally fine to just drop in.
>>
>>34511903
The bolts I know, but whenever I ask about the cartier, the headspace debate comes up. Whether its at the gunstore, akfiles or here and /arg
>>
do RAS47 and NPAP use old military kits or are they new-built guns?

if not, WASR has them beat on that fact alone
>>
>>34511982
Npaps are are old with new reciever and possibly barrel iirc. RAS are produced new and marketed as a 100% american made AK
>>
>>34511903
>require headspacing
it requires "checking" the headspace
it might drop in, it might not

>>34511998
>Npaps are are old with new reciever and possibly barrel iirc
completely wrong
totally and completely wrong

N-PAPs are all new production
>>
>>34512026
Like I said, wasnt sure about the Npap, but I guess you learn something new everyday
>>
>>34512042
why did you say anything at all if you had no relevant knowledge?
>>
>>34512046
>Npaps are are old with new reciever and possibly barrel iirc.
>iirc
>if I recall correctly
>if

Again. It was something I was almost sure of. Regardless, They arent made in thr US like the RAS. They are made in Serbia.

Or maybe I just enjoy speading disinformation online. Why do you have to be such an asswipe even after I admitted being wrong?
>>
>>34512296
because this is 4chan, not real life, so there is no requirement not to berate morons like this is in public
moron
>>
>>34512320
>he thinks he is berating me on a polish sand collecting forum

It takes a moron to know a moron. I was incorrect and I admited it. Do you have anymore divine AK info in that head of yours that you may bless me with? Summer is almost over and pretty soon youll be back in school
>>
>>34512342
only if you've got more fuddlore
>>
>>34512396
What fuddlore exactly am I spewing?
>>
>>34512042
>>34512046
LMAO
M
A
O
>>
>>34512471
>samefag
Kys
>>
File: Checkmate.png (15KB, 636x558px) Image search: [Google]
Checkmate.png
15KB, 636x558px
>>34512671
>>
>>34511363
Is your RAS from before or after they changed the heat treating?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.