[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if you promised your kid self you would buy a sword once you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: SwordTree.jpg (113KB, 530x710px) Image search: [Google]
SwordTree.jpg
113KB, 530x710px
if you promised your kid self you would buy a sword once you were in a good place financially, but wanted something usable as oppose to a sword like metal sculpture what would be the most well adapted sword for today's age, and i do say most well adapted because swords are outdated as weapons

my first two ideas would be a cutlass/saber as the general design was one of the few used in warfare along side guns and without armor, or a cane sword as it was used in Victorian England by men who still wanted to carry a sword for self defense but in a time that it wasn't socially acceptable to do so
>>
>>34504059
Cold steel gladius machete, not even memeing
>>
File: Cold Steel Gladius.jpg (13KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel Gladius.jpg
13KB, 500x333px
>>34504072
I have one also... It's not exactly a sword, but I would happily take one in Gladiatorial Combat, because it's a killing machine
>>
>>34504059
I'd love to see a gun version of this
>inb4 HURR
>>
>>34504059
I was trained in Arnis Doblete Rapilon so i leaned towards a Gladius
>>
>>34505123
>>
axes > swords
>>
>>34505278
but i don't break promises

for real though axes require more muscle and endurance to be practical, swords require more upkeep because a dull sword is useless, as it will mostly not be used unless shit hits the fan a sword might be more ideal, and think of yourself using an axe in closed in indoor places
>>
>>34504760
i've handled a gladius and i love it, there is only a minor issue of no hand guard, which is minor because in any situation id need a sword id most likely wouldn't need it against another sword
>>
>>34505892
An axe is more practical. You already implied that they're easier to keep sharpened, which they are. But they also apply to a variety of menial and utilitarian tasks.

In terms of combat, a smaller axe is really not gonna require that much more of you than a sword will in terms of physical strength and endurance, and though your reach is going to be shorter, in all probability it will still be longer than your non-sword wielding opponent. A well designed small axe-not a double-headed battle axe or any kind of long-hafted dane axe or anything-will allow you to chop at your opponent effectively, even in small spaces. Especially if you choke your grip on the haft of the axe right up to the axe head and slash as you would with a knife or even just punching them with the axe.

Additionally, reputable knife makers still make quality hatches and tomahawks today which is a much more reasonable size profile for what you're asking than most swords are. It is easier to carry, conceal, and explain why you have a hatchet on your person than why you have a cane sword or a rapier.
>>
>>34504059
Then do yourself a favor and get some hema lessons. If not, go for >>34504072
No need to invest in quality when you can't tell the difference anyways, right?
>>
>>34505971
Why is there always some retard seriously thinking swords or axes are for self defense?
>>
>>34506018
Because /k/.
>>
>>34504059
1. Double-sided for hacking and cutting with both the downstroke and cross-stroke as well as an upstroke.
2. pointed end for stabbing.
3. it would have a medium length blade for swiftness but also reach.
4. Making sure it is made out of quality steel, forged, hardened, quenched and tempered just right for durability.
>>
>>34505971
this is well thought out and well put, but the man wants a sword. let him have his sword.

i would say, yes spend the extra cash and get something that might serve as a home defense weapon in a pinch, but has collectors value, and aesthetic appeal.
>>
>>34505971
Good luck stopping enemy stikes with just an axe bud

Fighting axes aren't chopping axes
>>
>>34506018
Swords were used for self defense. Not in today's world, but they were carried in daily life if the law allowed them to.
>>
>>34505278
In what context? Good luck defending yourself with an axe against someone armed with a rapier or any one-handed sword. You're likely to get run through against a rapier user or get your fingers cut or chopped off against something like a langes messer and arming sword.
>>
>>34506309
Son, i fenced and did hema for over 20 years now. I collect antique swords and read a lot.
Let me tell you, you are deluded.
Get a feder for hema training and when you are good and know what you like, get a sharp for cutting. Buy some antiques for the sake of it, and top the whole thing of with handgun in case some bad guys come knocking.
Leave the muh sword self defense to the mall ninjas and proud owners of cold steel machetes.
>>
>>34506355
Did you not read my post? I said swords were carried for self defense in historical times assuming the law permitted them. Thise laws varied depending on the time and location.
>>
>>34505892
Poleax master race
>>
>>34506379
Yes, thats a bit an obvious point. Like everybody knows that and there is not much need extra mentioning it?
Now either get some hema lessons and educate yourself on swords, or then buy coldsteel.
>>
>>34506402
Jesus you're retarded.
>>
>>34506410
No, I'm not, I just don't pat you on the back for stating the obvious.
>>
>>34506416
>g-guys, listen guys, I got a revelation, swords where once used as weapons
>oh you so clever anon, thanks for enlightening us
>>
>>34506416
Because I was answering your question. You asked why people think swords and axes are for self defense. >>34506018

I told you that they WERE for self defense in historical times. You know...like the middle ages? Obviously in today's world, you would use a gun.

I highly doubt you've been practicing HEMA for twenty years. No one recommends cold steel for practice nor functional carbon steel blades.>>34506103
>>
File: IMG_20170701_244633510-2672x1503.jpg (583KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170701_244633510-2672x1503.jpg
583KB, 2672x1503px
Just buy a long sword. Like seriously you have no reason not to.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.