[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hard cast lead recipe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (88KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 880x660px
Tell me what you think.
72 percent scrap range lead
12 percent antimony 14 percent tin
And 2 percent atomized copper and oil quenched.
If you had to guess what would be the Brinnel hardness of this? How brittle would it be? Is the addition of atomized copper a good idea? Never seen anyone do or talk about that before just an idea I had.

Also tin is really expensive. 18 a pound. Might order it from China on alibaba. Found some for 20 a kilo.
>>
>>34503976
no thanks
>>
>>34503999
Useless /k/unt
>>
>>34503976
Feels like you're over complicating things.

But that's just my thoughts on it.
>>
It is much easier to just buy hardcast ingots than to try to dissolve antimony in lead of unknown composition.
>>
atomized copper? Sounds expensive and unnecessary.

Plenty of info out there on adding copper. Usually it is in the form of tinned copper or copper sulfate being added to a tin-containing alloy.

I don't think you'd get very far with atomized, unless you fluxed the crap out of it in order to get rid of the oxides so that it can dissolve in the tin.
>>
>>34503976
Pic looks like my 173 gr. Flat point gas check (.309) What velocity are you attempting to achieve?
>>
>>34503976
>what would be the Brinnel hardness of this?

Lead and tin will be all you really need anon and you can test the hardness yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfsEDav4Sbg
>>
>>34504728
Goal isn't really to dissolve the copper by partially melt it. Since the surface area is so high and since temperature isn't uniform in a liquid I'm thinking I can get it to partially melt into the mixture Ben though coppers melting point is well above the temperature of the mixture at 900f or whatever the max temp is on the Melting pot I'm looking at.
>>
>>34504770
9mm 115 and 158
458 560 and 300
308 123 and 230
12g slugs 1000 grains and 000 buck
223 55 grain
45 230
40 180 and 200
>>
>>34504381
Cheaper? Not so.
I can get free scrap range lead from my public range.
Antimony also isn't that expensive and tin I'll have to buy in bulk.
As for the copper I don't need much.
Even then I still want 25 Brinnel while not being brittle. I don't think they sell hardcast copper ingots that could give me that.
>>
>>34504862
*lead ingots*
>>
>>34504832
Copper will dissolve/melt into tin at less than 500F, well below copper's melting point of 2000+F

Buying atomized copper is a complete waste.
"Partially" melting it is silly. If you're going to add copper, do it right. It is nothing new.
>>
>>34505190
It will? Good to know. However it's only 14 percent tin, maybe less.
>>
File: qNaluS9.png (221KB, 490x279px) Image search: [Google]
qNaluS9.png
221KB, 490x279px
>>34503976
>scrap range lead

Why the fuck would you? You are tighter then a 10 year old nun.
>>
>>34505695
Because I'd rather not pay 200 dollars for the lead I'll need?
>>
>>34503976
>alibaba
expect it to not actually meat advertised spec
>>
>>34504876
But that wouldn't be free range lead anon
>>
>>34504862
>>34506010
The point is that antimony melts at a higher temperature than lead, and you need both metals to melt for them to alloy. This is difficult to pull off in a basic lead pot (which you're probably using because you're cheap), partly due to oxidation, and you may rather not go through all the trouble of doing so. You also don't know what's in "free range lead" (recovered projectiles?), so the control of your alloy composition is shit and whatever decent material you get is completely accidental.

Just buy ingots of the alloy you want. It's nominally more expensive, but it's going to be consistent and you're going to get something roughly close to what you want without pieces of the berm you dug bullets out of. You really need to evaluate the value of the time involved in making a decent alloy even with quality raw metals, let alone shit resembling metal marked with moon runes for export AND/OR dug out of a pile of gravel.
>>
>>34503976
Under no circumstances should you order any metal alloy from China that you intend to put through your gun. Industry standards are a fuking joke over there, and corrupt officials will sign off on any shipment if they're paid the right price. Seriously. DO NOT BUY THAT SHIT

Gotten jewed out of many shekels after testing BHN and sending alloys to a lab for tests. After the third time being lied to I stated buying from nore reputable companies. Check rotometals.com, I've never had any problems with them.
>>
>>34503976
>Ordering Chinese Tin
It's going to be counterfeit, man. They find ways to counterfeit everything.
I bought copper scrubbers in a dollar store once - they were just copper washed steel wool and rusted within hours of being used. If they make counterfeit copper scrubbers, they'll find a way to counterfeit tin.
>>
>>34505778
you mean
>china
They're fucking useless at meeting specs.
>>
>>34508282
How are you going to fake tin?
And that's what credit cards are for. Just ask your bank for your money back,
>>
>>34509874
bone meal with some tin mixed in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV5pNIkI7Qk
>>
File: fadl.jpg (24KB, 590x443px) Image search: [Google]
fadl.jpg
24KB, 590x443px
>>34509874
>Anon buys Chinese tin ingots
>Tries to melt them in his crucible
>Thin tin plate layer melts, and underneath he discovers cast iron
>Enterprising Chinese counterfeiter turned $.43/lb Iron into $18/lb Tin
The density isn't even that different.

I mean, we're talking about a country which fakes milk with Melamine. Would you put it past them?
At least OP won't be getting hair-based Soy Sauce or gutter oil.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.