[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am on a budget and I can only realistically afford one gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: mossberg500field.jpg (255KB, 2100x376px) Image search: [Google]
mossberg500field.jpg
255KB, 2100x376px
I am on a budget and I can only realistically afford one gun right now without majorly breaking the bank. The sticky says my first gun should be a 10/22 - for a variety of reasons. The impression I keep getting is that the 10/22 is like a "training gun" that won't be useful to me once I "learn marksmanship." I'm sure that's not true - that the 10/22 has applications beyond being an entry-level rifle - but I would like more of an explanation as to why my impulse to get a shotgun first is a bad one.

My reservation comes from the fact that I had a great time shooting off some semi auto shotguns recently. I feel like a shotgun will be overall more versatile and open up my hunting options more immediately than if I get the 10/22 first. I don't want to get the 10/22 and then feel as though I will have to eventually get my "big boy gun." How much more expensive is 12 gauge ammo compared to 22 rounds? What specifically can I hunt with a 22? Obviously I won't be able to hunt waterfowl without a shotgun, and that's what I'm hoping to work my way up to. And quail, grouse, etc.

I can't afford a semiauto shotgun, however - it would have to be a pump action. So, my choice is between a 10/22 and a pump action, and I'm trying to figure out what the best choice would be for my specific situation.

Pic related - it's what I'd probably be getting if I go shotty first.
>>
>>34500730
As long as you are comfortable with the recoil of a shotgun there is nothing wrong with it being your first, though its more expensive to practice with compared to a 22

They are very useful and utilitarian guns, get a variety of loads and different chokes for a variety of different uses, I've heard that the rifled chokes do help with slugs
>>
Flinch.
Just don't develop one and you're fine.
>>
>>34500730
Nothing a wrong with a .22. Honestly if SHTF a ruger .22 is like the second most usful gun next to an AR/AK. Easy too find, can carry a ton of it, you can practice with it, etc

My first gun was my AR, I built it piece by piece over about 4 months. I have put about a thousand dollars into it, but it feels cheap because I was able to spread the cost.
>>
Get the .22, it's more useful in self defense because the bullet bounces around in the skull
>>
>>34500730
Nothing particularly wrong with a .22

I started off with a 12 Gauge my dad bought me, was perfectly fine and I was like 10.

I love my 10/22, but I rarely shoot it anymore.

It does have its uses though
>>
>>34500832
>22
>easy to find in a shtf situation

I thought this meme died when Obama took office.

A stores entire stock of 22 can he carried away by one man, you will not find 22 in a survival situation.
>>
File: IMG_0921.jpg (152KB, 900x629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0921.jpg
152KB, 900x629px
Shotguns are also intro guns. Birdshot is pretty easy to shoot all day. Clays are a hoot. Get the 10/22 if you feel the need but rifle marksmanship isn't nearly as difficult as pistol marksmanship. I'll get one someday but an AR15 is first. Here's my order of purchase
>CCW sized pistol if gonna carry, can double as home def
>12g shotgun, versatility. Home def, hunting, sporting, 12g rules
>AR15 just because, if civil unrest happens, I want 30 rounds on tap and at least 200 yds to work with
>Bigger handgun, something that can still be carried yet is more capacious
>Fun guns, an integrally suppressed 10/22 fits the bill
>>
>>34500778
The added expense I definitely need to consider. Also, I was shooting with low base shells, which I'm sure contributed to my enjoyment of shooting clays. I'm very keen on the utilitarian element of shotguns - it just sounds like I can do a lot more with a shotgun.

>>34500803
Noted. We'll see how I do with full base.

>>34500832
I'll take that into account, thank you. I do like the thought of being able to shoot to longer ranges than a shotgun is typically capable, but my interest right now is in small game hunting like ducks, and in clay shooting.

>>34500851
Fair point. I'm not really getting this for home defense though, I live in a good part of town.

>>34500854
That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want to get the 22 and then regret it later when I go to get a more general purpose long rifle, and stop using the 22 altogether.

>>34500875
I'm not too worried about SHTF. If it happens soon, I won't be prepared for it even if I went out and got a gun today. No practice whatsoever beyond shooting clays for a few hours.

>>34500879
Thanks for this anon. I think I probably will go for the 12g as my first gun, it fits more of what I'm looking for immediately. I'll go for the 22 later, when I want to shoot to longer ranges.
>>
>>34500984
>Fair point. I'm not really getting this for home defense though, I live in a good part of town.
Every fucking time. Look here mate. Ghetto shit people don't rob other ghetto shit people unless it's gang related. They ain't got no shit to steal.
>>
>>34500730
Just buy a Mossberg 500 online cheap for your first gun. Try to get the extended tube ones. From there you can get rifled barrels and chokes and have a whole lot of versatility.
>>
>>34500803

This
>>
>>34500730
If ypu want to hunt, shoot trap( or any other target game) and do HD, get a mossberg 500 combo kit.

It will be inexpensive, come with a slug barrel a smooth bore.

And it will last you a lifetime.
>>
>>34500851
Bull shit.

Stop spouting fudd lore.
>>
>>34501001
I've heard that homeowners who own guns and attempt to use them in a home invasion type situation end up getting killed/injured more than those who don't. It immediately escalates a bad situation to violence when most burglars really have no interest in killing you, they just want your things.

People have insurance on their possessions for a reason, and I'm not a trained cop with the know-how to avoid getting killed if I engage the enemy.
>>
>>34501026
Sounds good to me. I'll look into it, thanks anon.
>>
>>34501034
You've heard wrong
>>
A 12 gauge is a great first firearm and they aren't any more than the 10/22 if you grab a nice used model or a budget piece. Pumps are great, you don't have to get a semi-auto. The ammo is a little more but you don't mag dump 15 rounds out of an 870 either. It's affordable to use and easy to maintain and learn with. The nice thing about pump shotguns is they are hard to build wrong, do not be afraid of grabbing a budget model like a maverick 88 unless you want something fairly nice.
>>
>>34501050
It makes sense, though. Pointing a loaded weapon at someone who is desperate enough to rob you at gunpoint might be enough to push them over into actually shooting you. They might decide to leave you alone, yes, but if you don't point a gun at them to begin with and comply with their demands, why would they shoot you on top of that?
>>
>>34501034
Possessions aren't always the only reason burglars break into homes... sexual assault, kidnapping, murder, hopped up on drugs, whatever etc. Sure, MOST may not be looking to harm you or your family but I wouldn't ever give them the benefit of the doubt
>>
>>34501058
Also shotgun ammo isn't that bad price wise anymore. $10 for 25 shells of Suprema (which works just fine) at Walmart. For practice, you can pick up 100 target loads for $20 as well.
>>
>>34501121
Of course not - there are those occasions when you're dealing with a violent animal. Do you assume it's the worst case scenario, and risk escalating even nonviolent confrontations to life and death? Or do you take a more measured approach, and assume the likeliest scenario even if that might lead to an undefended demise?

It's hard to say, in my mind, as I am untrained.
>>
>>34501088
>>34501034
It's factually innacurate gun control propaganda. Obama gun study. Google it. Go now.
>>
>>34501182
>Excuse me, Jamal, what are your intentions with my virgin house?
>mufucka what
>glocked
>>
File: 1496698911838.jpg (148KB, 1200x1697px) Image search: [Google]
1496698911838.jpg
148KB, 1200x1697px
>>34501088
It's an apples to oranges situation. Most of these statistical studies use poor methodology which is then twisted into a reach of a conclusion by """"science"""" writers (not saying they're all bad, but fuck so many of them are clueless). For example, there was a study that only considered successful applications of HD arms in the event that the homeowner actually shot the intruder. That's like 1% of HD situations - most end with the intruder fleeing or surrendering to arrest.

Plenty of bad guys out there don't even have guns - they're just fuckwits that can't into life and thus are forced to break into your middle-class suburban home looking for cheap cash. You're not likely to get into a shootout in HD, but if you did, wouldn't you rather have a gun?
>>
>>34501215
I'll read the study the other anon posted, perhaps I have been misinformed.
>>
>>34500851
Don't listen to this idiot.
>>
>>34501241
Let's put it this way: if someone enters your property without your permission or knowledge, how can you make ANY good assumptions about their intent?
>>
>>34500730
I don't know about specifics but I know about pricing.
If you want a good, cheap pump shotty you're best off with a Maverick 88. Made by Mossberg, it's essentially a Mossberg 500 only cheaper. Goes for $200 new and I've heard people get them for nearly $100 used.
>>
>>34500984
>I'll go for the 22 later, when I want to shoot to longer ranges

.22 isn't really a long range round. You can shoot out to 100 yards with it sure, but most people use their .22s on shorter distances.

If you're hunting with a .22 you're not going to be trying to snipe squirrels at 75 yards, it's going to be closer generally.

With slugs in a shotgun you can be good out to 100 yards with a much more useable round.

FWIW, You can shoot both further and there will definitely be people going on about shooting their .22s a couple hundred yards all day long hitting the same hole every time, same for people shooting slugs. When it comes down to it both have similar range limitations.
>>
>>34501287
You can't, obviously. I tend not to expect the worst from others but in a situation like that, I would probably prefer to be prepared than to submit without question.

>>34501333
That's pretty damn cheap. Is there any appreciable difference in durability or versatility? Any way to switch out a smooth bore barrel for a rifled one?
>>
>>34501339
Can you hunt squirrel with a shotgun & slugs or would that be overkill? I'm mostly focused on clay shooting and waterfowl but squirrels and other even smaller game would be fun to hunt too.
>>
>>34501340
They do have both smooth and rifled ones, yes.
Have a look at the new ones before you go buying any used ones, though.
http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/maverick-88/
>>
>>34501355
I'm not really a hunter but I'm pretty sure 12 Gauge on a squirrel, even light loads, would be overkill.
>>
>>34501355
Depends on the shell you use.
.410, slug or shot, is perfect for squirrels
20 gauge is is decent, slugs will leave a sizeable hole in them or most likely rip them in half
12 gauge is probably only good with shot for squirrels. A 12 ga slug would probably just vaporise the squirrel.
I'd personally experiment with shot when it comes to anything above .410. Birdshot might have the required effect. I'd be careful with buckshot but it might still be effective.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.