[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does the sniper reticles work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: How.jpg (14KB, 379x377px) Image search: [Google]
How.jpg
14KB, 379x377px
new fag here, i always wondered how these reticles work
>>
File: rifle-scopes-reticlexplain-posp.gif (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
rifle-scopes-reticlexplain-posp.gif
30KB, 500x500px
Here you go. Mind you, this is just for the reticle you posted, which is used by Russian/soviet weapons.
>>
>>34496601
thanks anon
>>
>>34496601

I still don't get how the range finder works.
>>
>>34497713
Triangles fool.

a^2+b^2=c^2.

you take the angular height of the object and use that to get the range to the target. So you can do the math up front and put that measurement into the scope.
>>
File: 1440296311487.png (1006KB, 1595x983px) Image search: [Google]
1440296311487.png
1006KB, 1595x983px
heres one for rpgs. gives a little bit more info on leading and range
>>
>>34497738
cont.

the difference is you don't use normal degrees. you use miliradians or minutes of angle. both are ways of measuring angles with a higher level of precision than normal degrees. you can do this math once you pass high school. Assuming you can do basic trigonometry.
>>
>>34497713
You line an object 1.5 meters high between those two lines, the level one and the curved one. When you find the spot where it matches, the number above is the distance from the object, in 100s of meters.
>>
>>34497754
the wind correction holdover is wrong on this. the wind carries the projectile in the direction the wind is blowing.
>>
>>34497788
guess again wrt the rpg
>>
>>34497738
Aka a man sized target
>>
>>34497788
>the wind carries the projectile in the direction the wind is blowing
its possible the reticule is already factoring that in
>>
>>34497829
I'm impressed that the scope can predict the weather.

chances are, it's just a petty error that my autism picked up.
>>
>>34497851
youre misunderstanding. what im saying is the reticule is calibrated to use the wind drift, not fight against it.
>>
>>34497851
>>34497911
I think the picture is assuming that the tank is moving and is accounting for both the movement of the vehicle and the windspeed
>>
>>34498163
>stationary target
wait nvm
>>
>>34498169
It could be because the projectile is subject to weathervaning, that is, it tends to turn into the wind.
>>
>>34498426
>It could be because the projectile is subject to weathervaning, that is, it tends to turn into the wind.

Yup. And then, because it is a rocket, it flies the direction the wind points it.
>>
>>34496539
Look up primary arms scopes and click on their pdf manuals. They give a real simple explanation on how different reticles and ranging and measurements work
>>
File: PSO.jpg (18KB, 379x377px) Image search: [Google]
PSO.jpg
18KB, 379x377px
>>34497713
With this you would be safe to say he's somewhere around 400m away.
>>
>>34497829
>>34497851
>>34497911
>>34498163

The description is correct. Doping for wind with an RPG is counter intuitive because of the flight characteristics. If it acres like a bullet you'd be correct, you dope in the direction the wind is coming from.

For an RPG, as the rocket flies through the air the cross wind will tend to push the lighter tail section in the direction the wind is blowing and since it's rocket propelled that will tend to make the entire grenade fly in the direction the wind is coming from
>>
>>34497713
>Assuming a standing, man-sized target (it's a DMR, not anti-materiel, remember)
>Fit the target snugly between the curved and base line
>number on curved line *100 = approximate distance in meters to target (the rangefinder is calibrated assuming a "man-sized target" is 5' tall, so a larger/smaller man may throw it off)
>>
>>34497754
Thanks for this. I've been trying to figure out this fucking reticle in Arms for a week.
>>
>>34497788
Actually this is the opposite for the RPG. The final actually catch the wind and will pull it in the direction the wind is blowing. This also tends to happen on the Carl Gustav and the AT4. Physics is fucking weird when you go fast my dude.
>>
>>34501110
Not him but I made a video so my friends could understand how it works.

What I find hilarious about the video is I look at the statistics and frequently the people who watch it are from Ukraine, Iraq, Afghanistan, Thailand, Syria...
I imagine that there has been at least one person who has used my video and then tried it in combat.
>>
>>34501160
Huh? But AT4 and CG ammo doesnt have acceleration when it leaves the barrel so why would aiming be different? To simplify it's just a large bullet
>>
>>34500976
Why is the average "man" sized target a manlet?
>>
File: 544.png (358KB, 481x652px) Image search: [Google]
544.png
358KB, 481x652px
russians are cyborgs now!
>>
>>34501195
I don't know about the AT4 or the CG, but is true for the RPG-7s warhead, which is basically a rocket with fins at the back. Crosswind puts pressure on those, so the projectile turns into the wind.
>>
>>34501218
Because, you moron, average man on earth is a manlet.

Do I have to remind you that chinks, indians and malnourished blacks are currently the MAJORITY of humans on earth?

Hell, 5'8" is average height in US too.
>>
>>34501352
This shit pissed me and every other soldier over 6' off to no end, when you can't even fit in a loaded humvee in full kit, or basically use shit that's all made for little city cucks and china's
>>
>>34502662
that sounds like hell desu
>>
>>34503518
Yea it was a real fucking problem. I had a talk w my Pl about not stuffing me in lead truck where I can't even get out and react, considering I was also a machine gunner loaded w extra drums beyond a combat load. Everyone wholly agreed. I was 6'3" and about 230 lb of straight death, and i couldn't even get my legs out without a serious struggle.
>>
>>34496601

This seems like it would only accommodate for a fixed magnification. Am I wrong?
>>
>>34501218
Because that's the average height
>>
>>34503804
you're right.

But if it's a firs focal plane variable scope then the reticle won't scale with the zoom level and will always be functional as a rangefinder. On a second focal plane variable you would have to be at a specific magnification for it to work proberly (almost always the scopes max magnification)
>>
>>34503804
Not really, a first focal plane would make it work too. Or just have the shooter set to a certain magnification to range the target. The optics that these are most commonly found in are fixed magnification though.
>>
File: Pso-1onsvd.jpg (1MB, 3188x2379px) Image search: [Google]
Pso-1onsvd.jpg
1MB, 3188x2379px
>>34496601
>Mind you, this is just for the reticle you posted, which is used by Russian/soviet weapons.

The PSO-1 reticle (what OP posted) is specifically tailored to the SVD and its 7N1 and 7N14 sniper loads.
The elevation turret is used to adjust between 100-1000m using the topmost chevron to aim, after it bottoms out, you use the next ones for 1100, 1200 and 1300.

The one you posted is from an 8x42 POSP, which is a bit different (mostly in that POSP is a hobby line of PSO knockoffs made in Belarus and sold to westerners with rifles with AK/SVD type mounts, so their BDC often aren't accurate and sometimes don't even make sense, like when they advertise it "works the same for all calibers").

>>34497788

Like multiple people already stated, it's correct.
The fourth thing they teach you about the RPG before they hand you one is to forget what you know about windage adjustments, because the combination of tail fins and a rocket propelled projectile renders it completely irrelevant.
The first, second and third things are "take the damn transport cap off you fucking retards", "watch the backblast" and "if you're stupid enough to take a shot at an armored vehicle when you're in the open, you better actually take it out with the first shot, because you won't have enough time to reload."

t. post-commie ex-sharpshooter
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.