[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Panavia Tornado

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13

File: Tornado.jpg (81KB, 655x798px) Image search: [Google]
Tornado.jpg
81KB, 655x798px
Honest thoughts?
>>
>>34496483
they look good
>>
>>34496483
looks like something the nazis would use
>>
A shit copycat of Mig 23 even though it was released 7 years after.
>>
>>34496603
Lot of intelligent thought went into it, but the big problem is that it is a maintenance nightmare. The Thrust reverser is clever though.
>>
>>34496630
This.

It's a less capable F-15E that has a tendency to get shot down.
>>
>>34496630
?
>>
>>34496483
It's not a fighter. It was meant as replacement for sepecat jaguar but the frogs chimped out of the project, like always

Prolly the reason why RAF, luftwaffe, italian air force and royal saudi air force had to maintain their older fighters that the tornado was supposed to replace (F-4 for both raf and luftwaffe, F-104 for italy and F-5 for saudi)
>>
File: image.jpg (190KB, 1599x995px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190KB, 1599x995px
>>34497327
>SEPECAT Jaguar

One of the most underrated planes in history, IMO
>>
>>34497277
Soviet Union made Mig 23 and Europe recognizing that it is late to swing wing game (even Amerishits were already operating f-111 by the 60s) decided to design the toronado.
>>
File: Panavia Tornado Marineflieger.jpg (112KB, 1022x614px) Image search: [Google]
Panavia Tornado Marineflieger.jpg
112KB, 1022x614px
>>34496483
It's a reasonably good strike platform, and arguably the closest to an F-111 that anyone else has ever made. It ended up being designed at least partly around the flawed doctrine of low-level penetration, but overall it showed itself to be an excellent strike platform.

The ADV is a bit different. It's got a couple of operational factors that make it superior to the Phantom - things like STOL capabilities and the ability to use a flight profile much like the F-14 - but otherwise it offered little over the Phantom and arguably wasn't really worth the cost. Integration with AMRAAM helped a little, but still, it seemed to be more of a Tomcat with the performance of a Phantom.
>>
Sexy as fuck

About all it has going for it unfortunately
>>
File: BAC-Dassault-AFVG1.jpg (318KB, 800x410px) Image search: [Google]
BAC-Dassault-AFVG1.jpg
318KB, 800x410px
>>34497327
>It was meant as replacement for sepecat jaguar
The AFVG started at the same time as the Jaguar and the projects had completely different goals. The Jaguar was aimed at making an advanced trainer that could also act as an attacker, while the AFVG was supposed to fill the tactical nuclear strike/long range interdictor role in the wake of the cancellation of the TSR.2. The Frogs threw a shitfit and left because of (((Dassault))), and the Brits continued the AFVG work, eventually forming the Panavia consortium and creating the Tornado.

Even in its final form, which was far from the original plan, the Jaguar never was able to fill the role the AFVG or Tornado filled. The Jaguar was more of an A-7 to the Tornado's F-111.
>>
>>34496483
It goes VROOOOOSH, carries bombs and ECM. I like it.
>>
File: sukhoi-su17-fitter_4.jpg (90KB, 800x629px) Image search: [Google]
sukhoi-su17-fitter_4.jpg
90KB, 800x629px
>>34497436
Anon if you're going to shill for slavshit, at least lie about a plane that wasn't a national embarrassment.
>>
File: Rockwell B-1B(2).jpg (941KB, 2100x1397px) Image search: [Google]
Rockwell B-1B(2).jpg
941KB, 2100x1397px
>>34496630
>>34497436
>MiG-23
>only claim to fame is dropping from the sky like dead flies.

being first doesn't, in any way, make you better. The Tornado isn't great, and variable-geometry on anything smaller than an F-14 is a meme anyway, especially when it was never designed for naval flight operations. Pic related; the only place swing-wings ever need to be.
>>
>>34497436
Mig-23 and Tornado had nothing in common except the variable wing design. Mig-23 is a fighter while Tornado is a low level strike aircraft

The brits had developed their own version of variable wing aircraft since the 60 (with the french, before they fucked off). If anything, I'd say that both the brits and soviet took inspiration from F-111
>>
>>34497510
Mig 23 was mostly successful though, and is more widespread than that Poonavia eurotrash
>>34497531
yes, the 1 time that Mig 23 crashed in belgium means that the entire project was a failure. Why are westerners so delusional about their engineering skill? why not accept that european plane designs have fallen behind Russian design since the 50s?
>>
File: mig23pd-3.jpg (55KB, 600x385px) Image search: [Google]
mig23pd-3.jpg
55KB, 600x385px
>>34497556
>If anything, I'd say that both the brits and soviet took inspiration from F-111
Nah it was more of a case of convergent evolution with everyone. The Soviets even had some fucky experiments with lift jets instead of swing wings for STOL. Both the MiG-23 and Su-24 had lift-jet prototypes tested alongside the swing-wing designs that became the final aircraft.
>>
File: 1430709478926.jpg (477KB, 1216x867px) Image search: [Google]
1430709478926.jpg
477KB, 1216x867px
>>34497574
>Mig 23 was mostly successful though
Yes of course it was so successful that the MiG-21s it was supposed to replace kept flying with the VVS until the Fulcrum and Flanker were available.
>>
>>34497574
>yes, the 1 time that Mig 23 crashed in belgium

you realize that if you google "Mig 23" right now, the first thing that comes up is crash coverage from an incident in India a few days ago, right?

I'm not gonna pretend to know if it was the aircraft or the aircrews operating it, but the thing had quite a habit of being shot down in just about every conflict it was ever involved in. I get it; we can't all have F-15s; somebody has to be the bitch. Stop trying to pretend that being the prettiest shit in the bowl makes it any less a piece of shit.

Panavia Tornado sucked.
MiG-23 is still sucking.
Might be worth mentioning that the F-111 was kicking so much ass that it's EW variant even got a kill in Iraq, but that's neither here nor there.
>>
File: MiG-23M.jpg (2MB, 3017x1970px) Image search: [Google]
MiG-23M.jpg
2MB, 3017x1970px
>>34497622
>I'm not gonna pretend to know if it was the aircraft or the aircrews operating it
Both, really. The MiG-23 was a pain in the dick to fly thanks to its horrendous pilot workload and horrible ergonomics, and Soviet training - especially that given to satellite states - wasn't nearly enough to compensate for that. The end result was pilots who were already struggling (comparatively) in more basic fighters like the MiG-21 were overwhelmed by the MiG-23. Best example off the top of my head is the Ethiopian Air Force. They went from having literally the best trained pilots in Africa (they trained regularly with the USAF at one point) and downing half the Somali Air Force without loss in F-5s to suffering horrendous accident rates once they switched over to MiG-23s. Allegedly their pilots were appalled at how bad the conversion training they received was.

You also had fun things like compressor blades shearing off in high-G maneuvers, killing the engine. Or the fact that it effectively dumped the workload of an F-4 on a single pilot in a shittier cockpit. Or the fact that the missiles it was designed around were shit.

When the issues were fixed, it was supposedly a capable plane, but by that point the MiG-29 and Su-27 were entering service so it was a bit of a moot point.
>>
It was an excellent STO low altitude penetrating strike aircraft, and would have done a good job in WW3, video related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTPlk70eSLY#t=5m

It's simply that that role is no longer viable. Modernised, it makes a decent PGM delivery strike aircraft, but, like the A-10, that is the role it finds itself in today, not what it was made for.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1HCOBgEy6A

Watch this. Very informative.
>>
File: f3_alarm.jpg (278KB, 800x476px) Image search: [Google]
f3_alarm.jpg
278KB, 800x476px
>>34500151
Mah negar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfdsMwg-XmQ
>>
File: gulf war tornado.jpg (539KB, 1280x872px) Image search: [Google]
gulf war tornado.jpg
539KB, 1280x872px
It was pretty good.

> Supersonic Gun an bombing run over iraqi airfields
>>
File: 4fb5387c4ae45939282dfad59741d40c.jpg (275KB, 1200x812px) Image search: [Google]
4fb5387c4ae45939282dfad59741d40c.jpg
275KB, 1200x812px
>>34500200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2OdtdPuqE4
>>
>>34496483
not much
In the 80's the luftwaffe, considering the declining german demography and the maintenance needs of the plane, was not sure they would be able to operate them 15 years later since there would probably not be enough people to keep the jets flying.

Also its swept wing design comes from a Grumman patent (F-14) which itself comes from a Dassault patent (Mirage G). more on this later.

>>34497327
>It was meant as replacement for sepecat jaguar but the frogs chimped out of the project, like always

1) The french were never involved in the Tornado, not a single second. They were involved into the AFVG (Anglo French Variable Geometry) which was supposed to be designed by THE BRITS while a lightweight trainer and ground attack plane which became the Jaguar was supposed to be designed by the FRENCH, the Tactical Combat Support Trainer based on the BREGUET AVIATION Br.121 ECAT. The jaguar exists. The AFVG doesn't.

2) The brits changed their requirement for the plane constantly, while the AFVG was initially designed for french carriers, in the end it had specifications closer to an F-111.

3) in the end Dassault withdrew from this shitshow and developped the Mirage IIIG/G4/G8 by themselves. The program stopped after 1973, but it led to a joint US/french partnership with the Ling-Temco-Vought LTV V-507 which was a contender in the LWF and VFX programs (which became respectively the F-18 and F-14).

4) the tornado was intended to replace the F-104 not the jaguar. The two programs were launched in the same time.
France never had F-104.

And in the end, I'm repeating myself, but Panavia had to ask Grumman for patents regarding the swept wing, while the Grumman design came directly from the Ling-Temco-Vought LTV V-507, which came directly from the Dassault Mirage G.

Which means the swept wings, core of the tornado, are a bit french nevertheless. See ? The french helped you. Happy ?

Now go take your pills mister "I blame the french for all".
>>
File: IMG_0834.jpg (56KB, 736x1088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0834.jpg
56KB, 736x1088px
>>34497388
This
>>
>>34497606
The liberator cats always make me kek
>>
>>34500422

S-SENPAI
>>
>>34497622
I think we can all agree the the f14 became the best swept wing fighter
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.