[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Budget AR-15?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

File: ruger-556.jpg (31KB, 1000x671px) Image search: [Google]
ruger-556.jpg
31KB, 1000x671px
Deciding on either getting a S&W M&P15 or a Ruger AR556. Which one would /k/ choose and why? They are both similar in price and I'm struggling on my own trying to find a solid reason to choose one over the other
>>
>>34488271
Decide what you want in an AR-15 first.

You can assemble an AR that will be better suited to your preferences for cheaper, and it will often have features that lead to improved performance, longevity or ease of use.

Easiest, cheapest way is to buy a milspec lower for $109.99, it will be fully assembled with all lower parts and a carbine buffer system and stock.

Alternatively, you can opt for a pistol lower at the same price, or pay a small premium for a brace or A2 rifle length stock.

From there, consider barrel length, barrwl treatments, twist rate, gas system, and whether you want a fixed front sight post or free float rail. Currently, you can find almost any upper you'd want assembled minus BCG and CH for ~$200.

At this point, a nitride BCG is going to give you the best bang for your buck. You can often find extended and tactical charging handles for the same price as a standard charging handle.

For example, last week I built two ARs for $350 each that were 16 inch 1/8 midlength with nitride barrels and BCGs, tactical charging handles and milspec carbine lowers. From there, you add whatever optic or rear sight you want.

Or, just buy any cheap prebuilt AR and decide what you'd want from there. They're all pretty much the same.
>>
>>34488329
It's going to be my first rifle that I can use for the range and home defense. I am not well acquainted with the AR system and I'd like to buy a brand AR to help get familiar with the firearm. Building my own sounds a little intimidating to me as of now due to my lack of experience of the system
>>
>>34488271
The secret to rich faggotry is saving up until you can buy the beest thing instead of buying it twice. 6920 is around 750. Get that.
>>
cheapest way is to buy used.....
>>
>>34488388
What I explained isn't even building. Everything is already built. You basically get the parts like the gun has been taken apart to clean.

I think you owe it to yourself to research, there are a lot of anons that would help you. It isn't a big purchase, but firearm ownership is a responsibility.
>>
>>34488388
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sY5CQmlHI
Here's what's involved with assembly of an AR-15.
>>
>>34488271
All entry level AR15S will mostly be the same. You can't go wrong either way. If pick the Ruger one because I like the company more than S&W.

Nothing wrong with buying a prebuilt one.
>>
>>34488399
Any starting resources you can throw my way?
>>
>>34488271
I think the Ruger has some proprietary parts in it, so building off of it later might be a pain. I got the M&P and have no complaints so far except for the ugly ass M&P logo on the magwell.
>>
>>34488413
Google.com

Topics;
Barrel length
Barrel metals and treatments
BCG metals and treatments
Twist rate
Gas system (upper and lower)

That's pretty much all you need to research for a basic budget AR to your preferences.

I wouldn't worry about furniture, a fixed front sight post is milspec, cheaper, rugged, and saves you from buying a front sight.
>>
File: 556 twist vs bullet weight.jpg (73KB, 762x331px) Image search: [Google]
556 twist vs bullet weight.jpg
73KB, 762x331px
>>34488446
>Twist rates
Here's a nifty infograph.
>>
>>34488455
>milspec autists will defend 1:7
>>
File: grassyknoll.jpg (27KB, 496x474px) Image search: [Google]
grassyknoll.jpg
27KB, 496x474px
>>34488389
It's the only one that will hold resale value in 60 years when they ban the autoloading rifles.
>>
>>34488432
Are you sure the Ruger has proprietary parts? I thought everything was swappable?
>>
Not OP, but what do you guys think of spikes tactical? They have some good priced already assembled upper and lowers
>>
>>34488472
it has a few parts that are unique to it, but nothing that would stop you from switching it out. the gas block is different. the flash hider is different. it has different furniture. the barrel nut is different. it uses a different trigger. it is still fully compatible with all made to spec AR parts.
>>
>>34488472
It was something I've seen spouted here and in a couple different gun forums while I was trying to do research on my first AR. Take that as you will.
>>
>>34488472
FSP and slip ring to my knowledge. Plus everything including the sight has the phoenix logo. My buddy doesn't care. I'm happy with a magpul'd Aero. Buy whichever, it'll work great.
>>
>>34488455
Not OP, but would an AR noob notice the difference between the barrel twists shooting 55gr cheap shit at <100yds? Same question goes for the gas system.
I was thinking for my first AR I would just take a 16" mid-length PSA upper since they seem cheap enough and popular. I understand that 1:7 is milspec, but I don't know if it's something that would matter to me right now.

Finally, is there any downside to a latchless charging handle?
>>
>>34488460
>he doesn't want to shoot thicc bullets
>>
>giving a fuck about twist rates
you goddamn retards, we only buy and build ARs to fend off the government and its leftist minions. No one cares about your sub-MOA shots at 600 yards with a semi-auto rifle, get a bolt-action you fudds.

While shopping for an AR, get the bare minimum that will last a few thousands rounds AND shop for spare parts because you'll need when SHTF and your retarded credit card no longer works.
>>
Anyone have anything to say about these?

Apparently the barrels are rated at 100k rounds
>>
>>34488503
Kek, I agree except for the
>thousand rounds part

I want more than a few thousand rounds through my rifle before it breaks
>>
>>34488488
You'll notice the difference in accuracy.
If you don't know what you want, you could get a 1:8 and have something that's at least capable all-around and if you want something special later on you can just get another upper. Hell, you might decide you'll want an upper in .300 BLK or something.

AR guys tend to end up with bins full of parts to the point where they could build a bunch of guns from them if they just buy/make the lower receivers for it (that's the serialized part).
>>
>>34488500
>he shoots bullets over 77 grain
>he doesn't want to stabilize M193
>>
>>34488488
How could they without shooting two or more side by side? It is logical to build what is superior unless you're just going for the literal cheapest build.

But in reality a noob will shoot 55 or 62 grain which would be most negatively effected by 1/7 twist rates so a 1/8 or 1/9 is the educated choice ESPECIALLY for the novice.
>>
>>34488506
Forgot link like a faggot

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ar-15-flat-top-bear-creek-ar15-300-blackout-caliber-bca
>>
>>34488509
That was a jest at people building PSA ARs and wondering why their BCG cracks after 1k rounds.
>>
>>34488464
>guns are an investment meme
>>
>>34488329
Hey anon, not OP but you sound very knowledgeable. I just looked up AR-15 gas systems and had my mind blown. Do you recommend long, mid or shot variants? I was thinking short but Maryland sucks, so need to check legality.

Can you post the recipes you built those $350 ARs out of? (hopefully even sources too?)

Got any other tips on building ARs?

>The short barrel is ONLY CONSIDERED A PISTOL. I was never going to SHOULDER THE PISTOL GRIP.

I've been a poor fag for too long, literally only own a mosin and a "hatfield" walmart 12 gauge single. Finally scored a good job and excited to finally afford a black rifle (don't wanna go crazy on price tho).
>>
>>34488522
AR guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you use a short gas system with a long barrel you're likely to overgas the system. If the bolt goes too fast, that can adversely affect function and durability.
>>
>>34488522
different anon here. gas system length does not make a difference for legality, only barrel length and overall length. basic bitch AR will be a 16 inch barrel with carbine or midlength gas, the middy is a bit softer to shoot.
>>
Since you faggots ignored me I'm gonna ask again.

>Spikes Tactical

Yay or nay?
>>
>>34488545
they will function fine. what follows is my personal opinion. their logo is two dicks and a spider, and their customer service sucked for me, fuck spikes, but it works.
>>
File: F1STLB510.jpg (122KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
F1STLB510.jpg
122KB, 800x520px
>>34488549
Thank you my friend...also have you seen the wildhog lower? I got a chub from it
>>
>>34488522
If you want a 16 inch barrel (shortest legal barrel that's able to accept different muzzle devices), there is little reason to opt for anything but a midglenth, since it will be softer shooting and have slightly less wear on internal parts.

If you like longer barrels, 20 inch and rifle length is the way to go. If you want an 18 inch, Midlength will be more reliable.

You can get a 14.5 inch barrel pinned with a flash hider silver welded in place to reach 16.1 inches, in this case I'd recommend a carbine length system.

Carbine for 10.5, 11.5 (make sure to use a pistol lower).

I'll see if the links are still active give me a few minutes.
>>
>>34488271
get an Aero Precision OEM gun
>middie gas
>comes with or w/out front sight gas block
>better quality than both smith and ruger
>>
>>34488510
>>34488515
Sounds like 1:8 would be the best choice for me then, thanks anons.

>>34488519
Is there something wrong with PSA parts? Is it just their BCGs or are there other parts of theirs I should stay away from?
>>
>>34488587
They're fine but BCGs are overpriced. Freedom uppers are best value, PTAC is their outsourced budget line that somewhat hurt their reputation but are now solid albeit ugly and not as well fitted. The CHF and premium lines feature FN barrels but aren't exactly budget.
>>
>>34488329
>$350 AR
Are you the anon that posted the PSA Upper, Karri's lower, and Outdoor Sports BCG?
>>
>>34488584
Listen to this guy. Or get a 6920 and fuck off.
>>
Get the Ruger since it has a way better (but proprietary) delta ring. It's so easy to change handguards.
>>
>>34488657
it doesn't really matter that much. the ruger delta ring is cool but it's like the last thing to make cool that actually matters.
>>
>>34488487
>>34488584
Aero is a good choice. Just a step above smith n ruger.
>>
>>34488647
Good memory. Deals are now inactive, though. BCGs also came with a free American flag dust cover and mounting hardware to my surprise.
>>
>>34488746
Can still do a stainless 1/8 midlength build for the same price with the karri lower.

http://karrisguns.com/kg-ar15-complete-6-position-lower-receiver.aspx

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-8-stainless-steel-freedom-upper-no-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-5-56-premium-hpt-mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-no-logo-psa-ar15-m16-charging-handle.html

My friend has the upper and loves it. Same BCG or maybe thier cheaper one.
>>
>>34488271
aero ac15 midlength

why? similar price, similar quality but 16" middy instead carbine
>>
>>34488271
Go with Aero precision AC15, unless your getting a Ruger or S&W below $500 max
>>
>>34488271
I own 4 Ruger AR556. No complaints whatsoever.
>>
I'd like a lower build with an A2 stock. Upper with 18 in barrel. What handguard length should I get for that ?
>>
>>34489093
13 or 15 imo
>>
>>34488455
>1:7 doesn't stabilize M193
this graphic is a lie and you're a faggot anon
>>
what is the difference between a regular and pistol lower?

Is it just the legal classification, or is there an engineered difference?
>>
>>34488464
>>34488389
>unironically suggesting nuColt
Get out.
>>
>>34488584
>>34488683
>>34488907
>>34488936
What does Aero provide over something like a midlength PSA upper combined with whatever the fuck lower?
>>
>>34491527
You'll get less shit from fags like that guy.

That's about it, really.
>>
>>34491527
Ballistic Advantage 1:7 QPQ barrel is the big one. Also has a lower that's a step above most, it has a tension screw to eliminate receiver slop, and a more beveled magwell.
>>
>>34488271
don't buy a budget gun. get all vseven parts. you want a good gun bot not a reddit rifle piece of shit
>>
>>34488395
This. I'm pretty new to funz, but I've seen many classifieds for barely-used budget and mid-range ARs. It seems like many people impulse buy them, have trouble making their rent a few months later, and want a quick $450.
>>
>>34488512
>1:7 doesn't stabilize M193
>>
>>34492904
They're 99.999% asking exactly what they paid or even more, since there is literally always someone who can't pass a background check, or is scared of a paper trail.
>>
>>34492923
it doesn't.
>>
It's all the same shit desu

Look for the following:
>Properly staked gas keys
>Proper gas port size (most pre-builts come overgassed)
>Barrel from reputable manufacturer with proper chrome lining or nitride treatment (ask or research where they get their blanks)
>1:7 or 1:9 twist rate depending on what kind of loads you want to shoot
>Don't get a M4 profile barrel if you can
>Carbine length gas system for 14.5" barrels with pinned and welded muzzle device, mid-length system for 16" barrels, rifle length system for 18" and 20"
>Properly staked castle nut (not that big a deal if the rest of the rifle is fine, you can do it yourself)
>Forged receivers (billet is fine too if you like the design or it's significantly cheaper)
>>
>>34492931
IDK, I've often seen big markdowns. It seems like the resale market is much worse for Glocks and other common handguns because people want them for home defense rather than as a toy.
>>
>>34492972
(Worse from the buyer's perspective)
>>
File: 1495264572027.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1495264572027.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>34488389
>carbine length gas system on a 16" barrel
>Colt commercial QC
>Terrible customer service

Recommending Colt ARs is a litmus test for idiots.
>>
>>34488455
I didn't look into twist rate before I bought my Sig Sauer 516. I like to shoot 62 gr. What does this infograph mean for me?
>>
>>34492948
idiot
>>
>>34493126
It means you would get somewhat better accuracy with heavier boolet
>>
>>34493157
Thanks for answering. At what range does the accuracy become a noticeable improvement? I'd I'm only shooting within 300m, does it matter that much?
>>
>>34493126
Your gun might not like sub 50 grain bullets.
>>
>>34493003
Just curious, do you have any examples of current colts being inferior to the competition?
>>
>>34488746
Hah, the reason I remember is because I bought it. Haven't gotten the parts yet, though.

Out of curiosity, what kind of hand guards should I get if I'm looking to add a light or a foregrip?
>>
>>34493175
I like to buy bulk ammo. All I ever see is 55 gr and 62 gr. Never even seen anything heavier or lighter desu.
>>
>>34493168
You will still absolutely be able to hit a man-sized target, if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>34493236
That is exactly what I was asking, thank you. But since you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject, can you explain to me why twist rate even matters? Or at least under what conditions twist rate becomes a factor?
>>
>>34488389
hahahah holy shit if buying a $800 shit rifle is a testament to being a patient rich man you are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>34493264
The heavier a bullet, the more mass you need to get spinning to gyroscopically stabilize it.

You'd probably be best served just reading through the wiki on external ballistics and looking further into any aspect of it that interests you or you need clarification on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

You may also be interested in listening to the InRangeTV interviews with Faxon (barrel manufacturer). They cover a lot of aspects of various barrel design decisions and dispel a lot of old myths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X1iaQbjg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4g2CWtjOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3FDLiWMUTc
>>
>>34488271
I have the ruger. It shoots great and will take cheap steel like a champ. I spent a few hours st a local range shooting federal brass and tulammo silver shit.
Mine didn't come with a front sight adjustment tool though, but I heard you can call them and they'll send you one.
>>
>>34488483
I love the trigger on the ruger. Nice single stage. Also any other furniture is easily changed. The barrel but is way better than milspec tbf.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.