[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I remove lead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (24KB, 540x347px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 540x347px
My shotgun's bore is coated in lead maybe starting at 6" down the bore to 8" down the bore. At first I thought it was rust and pitting so I bought a tornado brush, eezox and Kroil to remove corrosion. Instead I found lead.

It's cleaned up, sorta. Better than it was. But there's some lead that won't go away. How do I get rid of the rest? Is it even an issue? I'm wondering why this happened in the first place. I'm assuming its because of slugs. What am I doing wrong that slugs are causing the first few inches of the bore on my Mossberg 500 to become leaded?

Help a noguns out please.

Btw my place reeks like eezox and it's awesome.
>>
>>34478889
>There is still lead.
Keep fucking cleaning, you aren't done yet.
>>
>>34478893

Nigga I've been sitting here with the tornado brush for an hour jacking this thing off. I'm high off the fumes. It's not getting any cleaner with the tools I have. What's better than eezox, CLP, Kroil and a tornado brush for cleaning lead?
>>
>>34478902
>eezox
Use something that is made for removing lead?
>>
>>34478908
Hence the reason I am posting. What removes lead?
>>
>>34478902
Hopps is a lube, not a cleaner. Rubbing alcohol does better in breaking down deposits.
>>
>>34478915
Little bottles in the gun area labeled LEAD REMOVER.
>>
>>34478889
Why is there so much lead in your shotgun bore? The lead shot/slug should be contained by the shot cup and leave very little lead.

If there's heaps, get some Birchwood Casey Lead Remover Cloths and cut a piece out and use some dowl as a big jag and push it through a few times. Those cloths are brilliant, I use them on my revolver after shooting cast bullets.
>>
Mount your cleaning brush in a hand drill ream that fucker out. Works like a charm for heavy leading in a smooth bore.
>>
>>34478916
I'm not using Hoppes, but I'll give alcohol a try. What works better 70% or 91% ISO alcohol? Or I suppose I could pour grain alcohol down the barrel.
>>
>>34478889
Push a fairly tight wad of steel wool through the barrel. At least on chromed barrels this works and the lead comes off as chunks so no need to rub.

For choke tubes I use round steel wire brush on a drill.
>>
>>34478920
Never knew they had such a thing I order everything online because every local store that sells gun shit overcharges out the ass so I have given up going to them.

Got a brand you recommend?
>>
>>34478922
I don't know why there is lead coating my bore. I wish I knew why. All I shoot through this gun are steel target loads for clays and slugs. Usually I use Remington slugs.
>>
>>34478922
>>34478923
>>34478926

Thanks guys
>>
>>34478927
Google lead remover for gun barrels.
Ta da.
>>
File: 1420248020097.jpg (916KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1420248020097.jpg
916KB, 2048x1152px
Op, don't get too much concerned about lead.
It's a metal that won't bring any kind of corrosion because it doesn't oxidize into rust.

If you are really paranoid, store the gun with a lightly oil coated bore, then be sure to clean dry before shooting.

One thing I've learned, even you I bring clean patches outta the shotgun bore, and I leave it with a light Ballistol coat, next range trip I dry it and still some carbon fouling is taken away from the "storage" oil coat.

It is really, REALLY difficult to clean a gun 100%, but instead is really easy to do a 80-90% cleaning.

There's no issue in lead or carbon fouling, your enemy is rusting.

Your time should be invested in shooting, and, second place, ammo loading.

Pic somewhat unrelated

t. avid shotgun shooter
>>
>>34480006
Also, don't get too energetic with your cleaning. You will not want scratches and/or other damage, even light damage, done by obsessive cleaning.

It's a very bad feeling, trust me.
>>
>>34480006
Thanks anon. I didn't notice any rust and I got the majority of the build up out.

Is it normal for slugs to leave a lead build up by the beginning of the bore? I've fired maybe 50 slugs through this thing since I bought it new.
>>
>>34478889
Mercury.
>>
buy a bunch of steel 7-8 shot and shoot like 50 rounds through it. steel shot will scrub the hell out of a leaded barrel.
t. I shoot a lot of slugs and have to deal with this a bit.
>>
>>34480189
Yes it is perfectly normal, even tho it is an annoying issue for some who wants a cleaned gun everytime.

Basically rifled slugs have those rifling for a purpose: they aren't made for any sort of spinning BUT for centering the slug itself in the shotgun bore; as bore themselves aren't always the same exact diameter.

So what happens in the first part of the barrel is that the slug "squeezes" in at the exact bore diameter so it will smear some of it's soft lead inside the barrel.

Foster slugs are somewhat gentle in this, pic related (or any slug with sharp rifling edges) are the worst offenders in this behaviour as they will literally encrust the bore with lead.

My advice is to not take things too seriously and leave the bore thinly oiled if that's a concern.

Maybe try to shot some cheap, clay shotshells load at the end of the session to see if their plastic wads clean somewhat the biggest crusts.
>>
>>34481510
If im going to be doing a lot of target shooting or plinking, I use wax slugs instead.
Its way cheaper and leaves my bore super clean.
>>
>>34478922
Do full metal jacket slugs exist?
>>
>>34480006
Why you shoot so much, the shotgun, mang?
>>
Brake cleaner for cars will work.
If you want a "dedicated" gun cleaner, use a foaming one. Hoppes makes a decent fomaing solvent.
>>
File: IMG_20170109_052516.jpg (1MB, 1807x4128px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170109_052516.jpg
1MB, 1807x4128px
>>34483125
Because is fun, and on a side time waster I load my own slugs.
>>
File: IMG_20170709_011944.jpg (575KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170709_011944.jpg
575KB, 1024x768px
>>34483073
Yes there are FMJ slugs but those are usually into saboted ammo specific for rifled shotgun barrels.
The solution for smoothbore usually is a undersized slug meant to be fitted into a shot cup instead of pellet to avoid direct contact with the bore, eliminating lead issues.

Pic related 4th from left, a Lyman sabot slug
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.