[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Corrosive Ammo in AK, VEPR, PSL?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: hands.jpg (237KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
hands.jpg
237KB, 1024x683px
Hey guys,
I currently have a screaming deal set up on 1k rounds of surplus 7.62x54r. The seller has agreed to .35 cpr. It would be enough ammo to last me a few years in my PSL, but I'm concerned about cleaning the gas system. Do any of you have experience with this? There's a ton on forum posts with varying advice. Run a hose in your AK, hot water, soapy water, ballistol, windex, ammonia, etc. I live in a humid climate during the summer so rust is a concern.

Am I worrying too much? Can I really just stick a hose in my PSL for a few minutes and then use a patch? Or is it an intensive process digging through every crevice?

I paid over 1k for the gun recently and am paranoid.

Thanks
>>
File: 20170322_103419.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170322_103419.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
The gun in question plus a few other 54r rifles
>>
File: 20170117_110732 (1).jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_110732 (1).jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Bumping with another pic of my SVT
>>
>>34472328
You're absolutely worrying too much. Most of those firearms are meant to be running those ammos, and if it's got a chrome-lined barrel then it won't make a difference anyway. Remember, you can replace individual parts on those things for fucking cents on the dollar.

If you're SUPER paranoid about it, draw a bath, put some ammonia-based cleaner in it, and let the firearm soak after firing. That said, I've put at least 10k "corrosive" bullets through my SKS over the last 8 years, and haven't cleaned it thoroughly in about 2 years, and it's just fine and dandy. The barrel gets a bit dusty, but that's about it. Again, these rifles were meant to take a fucking beating.
>>
>>34472483

I was more concerned about the gas system. I've run corrosive ammo and shoot black powder, but never used anything with the extra parts.

Then again, if you've done it for years without extensive maintenance, I'll probably be ok. I just don't want to wake up one morning with pitting.
>>
>>34472483
wrong
where do you live that corrosive doesn't rust your shit? i'm in a semi-humid climate and i get rust within a day if i don't clean after shooting corrosive

OP just run water through the bore and gas system and over all the major parts. dry everything out with a cloth and then clean like normal, with solvent and oil. pretty simple
>>
File: P1030158.jpg (257KB, 2088x672px) Image search: [Google]
P1030158.jpg
257KB, 2088x672px
>>34472328
Pic related is the magical way to clean ak gas tubes to a sparkling finish.
>scrape out with 12ga brush
>run oiled snake through to leave it shining
I don't even use water when I clean corrosive, and I mostly just spray oil down the gas block so it leaks into the barrel to take care of that.
And I generally leave a layer of remoil inside the entire gun other than the barrel to keep moisture away from any metal.
All in all, I can do it in a bit over 5 mins if I rush it. You'll take longer for now, but you'll speed up as you do it more often.
Corrosive isn't even that scary.
For a whole year or two, back when 545x39 was 10c/r, I was just taking my ak apart, spraying the insides with oil, snaking, and putting it back together. Nothing happened so long as there was oil to keep moisture from contacting the metal.
>>
>>34472328
The 'corrosive ammo' is the primer and it's only corrosive if you let water get in at it. Yeah it will draw water out of try air but not fast enough that if you clean your rifle the same day you shoot it will you have a problem.

Just clean it and oil it. Put it back with a bit of oil on it.

If you life in a very humid climate put it in a garbage bag when not in use.
>>
OP here

From the responses I'm getting, it seems like I'm way over thinking this. Just clean it thoroughly and everything should be fine, from what I understand.

I was afraid that I would miss a spot and come back to a ruined gun
>>
>>34472328
Just use Windex or Water and flush out the parts that have gotten gas residue on them.
>>
>>34472657
>I was afraid that I would miss a spot and come back to a ruined gun
What you need to do is just check on your gun from time to time if you are worried about it.
If you see a little bit of fuzz anywhere, then you know to get that spot better next time.
Generally though, the rust will be in the gas block and tube if anywhere. And possibly on the piston.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.