[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grandpa's War Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 15

File: medic.gif (355KB, 550x602px) Image search: [Google]
medic.gif
355KB, 550x602px
>be Grandpa
>be medic in second wave of landing craft at Omaha
>a couple of his boot camp buddies are mowed down as soon as they disembark
>grandpa grabs one and drags him to a small crater
>tries to stop the bleeding, but his friend dies
>ends up saving half a dozen guys that day

>tells me that there was a guy in his company who's ear was shot off, so they had to make sure they were facing his good ear when talking to him

>he's sent out to a field with a few other guys to collect bodies after a skirmish there a few days prior
>they can see a few Krauts doing the same thing on the other end of the field
>neither shoots each other because they both know what the other is doing
>>
Why is /k/ so small today? Check out the catalogue, it's fucking tiny

Or am I retarded?

>>34471748
Mi Abuelo was an Italian.

They were doing door-door conscription and his father refused to join and got shot right in front of Mi Abuelo.

Obviously, he accepted service. Ended up refueling planes in a big ol' fuel truck somewhere nearish to Svitzerlahnd.

Decides: "Fuck it, I'm gonna go to Dassen Svitzerlahnd"

Gets caught near the border
>Sent to Italian concentration camp
>Catch rabbits and cook them in tiny fires
>Get caught
>No more rabbit trapping
>Has to eat worms and shit
>Eventually ends up doing odd jobs for this rich Italian (Or maybe he was just nearby a rich Italian one occasion while doing work, I never found out. He got pie from them)
>ie. Digging ditches and other manual labor

>Somehow Gets to Britain (Timeline unknown, possibly after the war)
>Goes to Canada
>Electrician
>Laying concrete, drinking wine and doing various yardwork like a tough motherfucker until brain cancer stops him at ~88

He was a healthy motherfucker that watched his diet and would eat rotting fruit and veggies sometimes.

"Mind your own business, you'll live longer"
"You want to know how to lose weight? Put the fucking fork down"

Some of his quotes
>>
>>34471852
See. Tiny.
>>
>>34471748
Some more from him

>at the southern front when Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein (BotB) begins
>his company is loaded into trucks which then haul ass up to Belgium
>he has to literally dig frozen bodies from the snow
>while he's on his own digging up bodies, he hears an engine on the nearby road
>he looks over and sees a Kraut armored car and a small group of Germans patrolling the area
>he doesn't have time to get out of there, so he lays down next to the body and plays dead while they pass

After the war he became a farm-oriented veterinarian and spent the rest of his life shoving his right arm up cow vaginas
>>
>Great-grandfather fought on Isonzo Front for Austria-Hungary.
>grandfather tries to join marines when WW2 breaks out
>rejected for having minor dental problem
>great-grandfather finds out
>beats the shit out of him while saying "you dont know what the fuck you almost did"
Thankfully, he found a safe job in an asbestos factory instead.
>>
>be 17 in 1939
>conscription to the Wehrmacht
>serve on the Ostfront the entire war
>get shot in the leg
>Gulag in Ukraine
>limp back home on foot most of the way
>home is now part of "Poland"
>go to the west and start new life
>>
>grandfather was a navigator/reserve wire gunner on a lancaster bomber
>got to participate in the dam busters raid
>survived two crashes,europe and north africa
>really hated italians for some reason but hated communists even more
>spent a week with a resistance group in poland during one of the crashes,drank loads
>>
File: 1491326504367.png (48KB, 649x496px) Image search: [Google]
1491326504367.png
48KB, 649x496px
>>
>>34471748
>be OP
>watch saving private ryan
>>
>>34472123
one hella grandpa.
Stupid question, what's a wire gunner?
>>
>>34472290

sorry meant a Wireless Air Gunner. havent told his story in years

didnt help the war made him pretty racist and my family acted weird about it.
>>
File: 20170529_130939_resized.jpg (995KB, 1494x2656px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_130939_resized.jpg
995KB, 1494x2656px
i dont have any storys, as he wouldn't talk to me about it
i do have photos he took that we found after he died though.
>>
>>34472322

it was the dual role term meaning he was got a navigator and a turret gunner.

i was pretty young when he told me this
>>
>>34472322
Any idea where he crashed? One of the Lancasters from the dambuster squadron crashed near my house.
>>
File: 20170529_130720_resized.jpg (1MB, 1494x2656px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_130720_resized.jpg
1MB, 1494x2656px
>>34472327
>>
You guys are "lucky." My Grandfather served in Vietnam fresh out of high school and never liked to talk about it. I really wish he would have shared some stories with me but as I look back with an adult mind state it became clear he suffered from PTSD to some degree. My mother would tell me when she was growing he didn't quite have a handle on it yet ans would often have night terrors and such.

Looking back I remember at one point asking him to wear his old helmet. He strapped it up but couldn't get it off then (i had it adjusted really small for my head.) well this caused a panic that didn't really hit me until a few years back when I realized that he did have PTSD. Speaking to other Nam vets they confirmed at his job in the service he would have seen some pretty horrific shit.
>>
File: 20160430_130639.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160430_130639.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Grandpa on dad's side was an armorer fixing machine guns on ie shima, did bomber nose art on his spare time. Got to see the Japanese surrender delegation when they laid overnight with engine problems. He died before I was born, but apparently was known for lookibg likr archie bunker and saying things that would make jim crow blush
>>
>be grandpa
>lived in tenements in chicago
>drafted into Korean war
>Put in armored division
>Sees combat and kill commies
>Pisses in tank shells when they cant go outside
>comes home to a country that forgets about the war he fought
>>
>>34472333

i cant say where but with a little research seems to point to a place called Emmerich
>>
My paternal grandpa was Waffen SS. And in 1946 he was granted US citizenship. That's absolutely the only thing my entire family knows about his war time. Not even my dad nor his brother could get more out of him. He never talked about war.

Really makes me wonder what kind d of shit he did. Especially considering that he, as an SS dude became a US citizen a mere year after the war had ended
>>
>>34472427
Interesting, it's very close to where the aircraft I know of crashed, within 30 KM. Might have been during the same mission even. Did it he happen to crash during the attack on the Dortmund-Ems Canal?
>>
>>34472427

scratch that i cant say for sure i got conflicting record now

but i do know he didnt crash during the raid itself it was later
>>
File: Anons ancestors were badasses.jpg (1MB, 1533x5159px) Image search: [Google]
Anons ancestors were badasses.jpg
1MB, 1533x5159px
>>34471748
Doubt you'll ever beat bongs war stories.

This is truly amazing, you need to read this
>>
>>34472477

at the moment i cant say

we have a huge chest of his stuff at my cousins house that i plan to look through

his brother served in the defense of hong kong as well iirc
>>
>>34472473
Depends on the unit. If he was in the 6th, he just played footsies with the Russians for 4 years. If he was in the 36th, he made a slip-and-slide with the blood of polish orphans.
>>
>>34472473
It's far more likely someone got their wires crossed, either with the dates or what part of the SS he was in (or if he was at all). Or the nature of his entry to the USA.

Personal estimate: He had an SS number, and an SS record, due to proficiency in another area that was either under the control of the SS or central to its mission. At the end of the war he may have been posted to a Waffen SS unit. He'll have also been a Party member of some importance, or at least enough importance and expertise that he was considered good enough to take into the United States.

It is impossible that he was granted US citizenship in 1946; Arthur Rudolph had to wait until the mid 1950s. If you have a SSN and a name there will be more information out there - the German government have records on these cases and the USA do, too. Don't listen to anyone who informs you that it's classified, it's been open for years and none of it is of value any more.
>>
>>34472518
What was his name, or aircraft number? I've got a book on this shit and it has a fairly sizable record
>>
>>34472122

>home is now part of "Poland"

It was always Poland.
>>
>grandfather was a patent attorney during WW2
>much too old to serve, but made a mint off of patenting various defense products
>both of my uncles joined the National Guard during Vietnam to dodge the draft
>one of them turned out to like the National Guard better than any other job he ever did in his life, worked his way up into the TOC of an armored cavalry unit, and stayed in until mandatory retirement
>in the thirty plus years he was in, he never once deployed, but his unit deployed to Bosnia four months before the mandatory retirement age and the Army refused to let him deploy with them because they'd have to fly him back halfway through the deployment
>three deployments rapid fire right after that
>dad was a sperm donor, all I know about him is that he had poor eyesight and he was ethnically German

Such is life as a WASP.
>>
great uncle told me his first commie kill in Korea was when a Chinese tried to sneak into his foxhole at night.

>first night at the front, machine gunner
>foxhole buddy was supposed to be on guard while uncle got some sleep but had dozed off.
>uncle woke to a Chinese silting the other's guy's throat.
>uncle manged to get his .45 and shot the commie before he can do the same to him.

He was later wounded and Chosen and got a bronze star for hip firing his MG to hold off a wave of slant eyes. Hated the yellow bastards until his death.
>>
>>34472473
>>34472552
Could also try here
http://www.getgrandpasfbifile.com/
>>
File: feg.jpg (654KB, 2125x3169px) Image search: [Google]
feg.jpg
654KB, 2125x3169px
>be Urgroßvater
>get drafted
>just wanted to live in peace on my farm
>some Austrian autist just HAD to have Poland
>get shipped off to Greece
>get shot through the back during a retreat
>get patched up
>sorry dude, there's no transports going back to Germany, you'll have to walk
>ffs
>start walking
>eventually get picked up by Americans
>finally arrive home and become an alcoholic from all the fucked up shit I saw leading to a never ending cycle of family abuse that was finally broken when the mother of the guy typing this married a U.S soldier and left.
>>
File: 1494703994510.jpg (208KB, 590x680px) Image search: [Google]
1494703994510.jpg
208KB, 590x680px
>>34472649
>be the other Urgroßvater
>get shipped to Russia
>lose all my toes to frostbite
>complications later lead to both legs being taken off up to the knee
>spend the rest of my life stuck in a room with one window
>no wheelchair access outside
>the daughters taking care of me just want me to die so they can sell the house.
>the kick my granddaughter out of the house when she protests this treatment during a visit
>tfw I never got to meet the anon typing this before I died because of this.
>>
>>34471748
> Be Grandpa
> Drop out of high school to go to WW2, join Army
> Trained to drive a M4 Sherman
> Get deployed to the pacific theater
> Get deployed to assist marines in taking islands - Saipan, Guam, etc.
> Tank loses a tread / some other major mechanical failure
> Now stuck vehicle is attracting lots of Japanese fire, they abandon vehicle and fall in with nearby infantry elements
> Grandpa pissed the Japs broke his tank
> Somehow in the midst of battle he spots one of the Japanese officers
> The japanese officer feels freedom ring from Grandpa's 1903.
> Takes his pistol and sword as payback
> Fixes tank, goes home.
2nd Story:
> Be Grandpa in Hawaii. Cane spiders everywhere.
> Be walking back from a brothel or something, get caught in a nasty monsoon
> Walk to edge of road next to a canal to let some Jeeps pass
> loose Ground gives way, dude grandpa was with falls in
> Hole is filled with bigass spiders which were hiding from the rain
> Hole is also now filling with water
> Spiders climb on dude to get out of water
> Due is screaming and crapping himself while trying to stay afloat in filling hole
> Grandpa can't help the guy without either falling in himself or getting spider'd
> Hole fills up with water and gives way into canal
> Last thing grandpa sees was the guy and the spiders washing downstream
> Grandpa tells people what happened, not a lot they can do until the monsoon clears
> 4 hours later guy comes back, wet and unhappy.
> Spiders didn't come back though.
>>
>>34472029
>safe job
>asbestos
>>
>>34473518
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk
>>
File: 1.jpg (4MB, 3041x4317px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
4MB, 3041x4317px
>granda was 7th Bersaglieri
>fought in Tobruk and other nice places
>said the aussies are the "most evil bastard" enemy
>one day tells the story of the only person he is 100% sure to have killed
>he shot other anglos but in the heat of the battle he was never sure if he delivered a fatal shot
so, story

>one day he was posted at the italian camp, night guard duty
>at one point he notices a shadow climbing the fence
>he points rifle and yells warning
>the shadow runs inside the camp
>yells another warning, doesn't stop
>takes the shot
>the shadow falls to the ground
>he and a few others go check the body
>it's only an unarmed libyan teenager

the only person he's sure to have killed was a harmless boy

pic related, my grandpa
he died in december 2016
>>
grandpa1
>never called up
>protected occupation, worked for BBC radio
>worked evenings in a munitions factory
Pretty uneventful, not a bad war.

grandpa 2
>called up
>sent to Burma
>didn't talk about it
>sent to Palestine postwar
>didn't talk about it
He wasn't the most open of individuals, even when it was obvious he was dying he didn't want to talk about it.
>>
>>34472496
Hey dats me! give me back my story to tell you cunt!
>>
>>34471748
Got one, gramps was a ball gunner in a B-17. Telling this story on /k/ before someone correctly guessed he was a small guy as they picked manlets for this position.

They were shot down over France. Everyone bailed out. He avoided capture and made it to Spain. When he came home the family had already got a letter saying he was kia so it was a bit of shock when he came in.
>>
My grandpa married a woman who didn't love him and didn't want kids presumably so he didn't get sent to Korea. They had four kids, two ended up being degenerate lesbians and one son who hated both his parents and changed his name.

Fuck boomers.
>>
File: IMG_20151110_181207906.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151110_181207906.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>34471748
Well I've got two gents, great uncle Karl and great uncle Clarence. We'll start with uncle Karl because his story is a walking Vietnam meme, I'll post a copy of his air medal citation. He died in 2012, liver cancer.
>>
>>34474409
And now for uncle clarence, he was a butter bar navigator in a B17, shot down over Germany, survived that, held as a POW for 8 months at a stalagluft, until the Russians were approaching and the Germans rounded up all the prisoners and marched them back into Germany. He died in 2014.
>>
My grandfather was a B17 pilot in WW2. He never talked about it. He made some damn nice B17 models though. He died before I was old enough to truly appreciate him. Feels bad. The only thing I really remember was my uncle talking about how he was going to volunteer for duty in the pacific after victory in europe was declared but of course he didnt get the chance to.
>>
>>34472586
No it wasn't that far east, it was part of Brandenburg in another age.
>>
File: Fifinella.jpg (70KB, 250x306px) Image search: [Google]
Fifinella.jpg
70KB, 250x306px
My grandfather was a flight engineer on several different aircraft, B-17's and later KC-135's are the ones I'm aware of, though presumably there were others as well.
My grandmother was a WASP and flew basically every aircraft in the US arsenal during the war. When I was 9 they introduced me to Chuck Yeager at an airshow, he went on to tell me how the bomber crews and fighter pilots and all the other warfighters were able to win the war because people like my grandmother were back home making sure they got what they needed when they needed it. It was almost more excitement than my 9 year old self could contain.
>>
>>34471748
I've got one /k/
>Be my granddad at 22, enlist the Army in WWII.
>Officer training school.
>Roaming Germany during the advance.
>walk into a farm house
>old german farmer, asleep on chair w/ old shotgun
>he wakes up to door creak
>lifts weapon to kill intruder
>grandpa is faster on the draw
>
>never talked about it.
>he never talked about the wars in general (also Korea & Vietnam)
>earned Silver Star, three purple hearts, distinguished flying cross, legion of merit
>heard this story through my father who was told it only once.
>>
>>34474854
Good job killing that nasty kraut, he's a true war hero.
>>
>>34474387
It was her fault, if you don't want kids you're mentally ill. That passes to the offspring.
>>
>>34475728

Yes. She's still alive but senile and this is the nicest she's ever been in her entire life. No one would have anything to do with her and she would rot in a nursing home with Benita and Shakina wiping her ass but she's a millionaire so her dyke boomer daughters are taking care of her at home.
>>
File: Germansoldier.jpg (32KB, 318x480px) Image search: [Google]
Germansoldier.jpg
32KB, 318x480px
>>34471883
I wonder... today has felt a bit more empty then usual.
>>
File: guardia.jpg (32KB, 500x639px) Image search: [Google]
guardia.jpg
32KB, 500x639px
>be grandpa
>commies are stirring up shit
>great grandpa knows gubermint is gonna use this as an excuse to kill some injuns
>decides to get ahead of the curve, rats out some commies
>grandpa and great-grandpa grab their rifles and march with the Army to remove red
>grandpa takes potshots at commies, said he watched them drop
>Finish killing commies, gov't said they'll leave him and his village alone
>surrounding villages get rekt, his family fights commies again in the 80s

Well that was one way to do it...
>>
>>34474854
>be home invader
>shoot home owner

Pretty Niggerish desu
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.