[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

superior swords?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11

tell me /k/, what do you think of greatswords and ultra greatswords
>>
>>34470058
>Ultra great swords
>>>/v/
>>
>>34470079
I CAN DREAM!
>>
File: legendneverdies.jpg (166KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
legendneverdies.jpg
166KB, 1000x900px
>>34470265
You can fuck off.
>>
>>34470424
could this be a legend?
>>
>>34470058
>ugs
oh boy
>>
lets just talk about how unusable ugs would be in real life
lets start with the fume ultra greatsword
its a slab of stone the size of the user, good luck lifting it
>>
File: lp0073.jpg (17KB, 650x309px) Image search: [Google]
lp0073.jpg
17KB, 650x309px
>>34470058
Sword size transition
Arming sword < Long sword < Great sword

There is no ultra, super, mega, giga, superior.
Only great.
>>
>>34470624
then real life has disappointed me, there is no longer a reason to leave the house
>>
ULTRA 8K HD GREATSWORDS NIGGA
>>
>>34470624
so there is not a single instance, in all of history, where a really strong guy has thought "i need a bigger fukin sword" and had a sword long enough to qualify as an ultra greatsword
>>
File: Hrafn (14).jpg (389KB, 1000x715px) Image search: [Google]
Hrafn (14).jpg
389KB, 1000x715px
>>34470849
The difference in sword definition and terminology between longsword and greatsword comes from the ability to be drawn from the hip.
When the sword is too long to be drawn it falls into the greatsword category.
Shad on youtube makes a great series of videos discussing these categorys.
https://youtu.be/FWWpzXOuk_s
This one in particular he discusses the longsword to greatsword difference.
>>
File: 2 hand rapier.jpg (208KB, 380x748px) Image search: [Google]
2 hand rapier.jpg
208KB, 380x748px
>>34470058
only 2 hand rapier for me pls.
>>
>>34470058
great swords are more like a polearm than a sword
>>
File: Dis is fahkin ingerlund.jpg (50KB, 464x444px) Image search: [Google]
Dis is fahkin ingerlund.jpg
50KB, 464x444px
>>34470058
>Not treating weapons in general like certain tools suited for certain jobs.

O'boy.
>>
>>34471212
what is the use of the little pikes on the left one ? (sorry for my poor choice of word)
>>
>>34472113
Half-swording. (Holding the blade with one hand rather than the angle) For use in tighter spaces.
>>
>>34472180
but it's part of the blade not the handle
>>
File: 2hand 16th 4th 01.jpg (59KB, 648x600px) Image search: [Google]
2hand 16th 4th 01.jpg
59KB, 648x600px
>>34470849
There are really big swords (biggest I know of that may have been intended for fighting instead of looking impressive sitting at 179cm and 4630g, but that may be rather more than what was a good idea all said and done), but the term "ultra greatsword" seems to be something only found in video games. You won't see that term in any serious text about swords or martial history.

>>34471190
Well, I'm not gonna subject me to seventeen minutes of yet another guy with a youtube account.

The size difference between longsword and greatsword is not terribly clear cut, because what a greatsword is depends on context.

The early greatsword by and large came about when people took the arming sword of the time and extended the grip to make room for two hands. The result was called a "great sword of war", which may be shortened to either warsword or greatsword , whichever you prefer. These then sometimes grew a bit in size, ending up with blades that would have been rather much for single handed use, but far from always.

Later on the longsword appears, and and just as the greatswords did these often use the same blades as single handed swords. The difference is simply that we're looking at more of XV and XVIII family blades rather than XII and XIII (to use the Oakeshott typology).

Now here around the end of the middle ages, and going forward into the renaissance is also were we start seeing considerably larger swords, from true twohanders to very large twohanders, and this is also were the term greatsword "grows" to encompass these new weapons. Most swords of the "old" greatsword size at this point will be longswords, but I'd say that swords fitting the old styles are still best considered greatswords, even if they may be of equal size to longswords. See the highland greatsword for a late example, the "claymore" as it tends to be called nowadays.
>>
File: half-swording.jpg (104KB, 759x592px) Image search: [Google]
half-swording.jpg
104KB, 759x592px
>>34471212
That one probably wasn't intended as a twohander, it's simply extending. I suspect the guards stays at the blade end of things to help secure (and hide?) the sliding grip assembly's connection to the blade.

>>34472207
Sometimes you'd grip a large sword like that with one hand on the ricasso, ie between the parrying lugs (those pikes) and the cross, in order to get mroe leverage and control.

IMO that's more of a grip length extension than proper half-swording, but both have you grip the blade rather than the grip, so I can see why some would consider it to be that.
>>
>>34472180
>>34472180
Half swording was designed as a means to overcome increasingly advancing techniques in metallurgy that was used in the creation of field plate, and plate maille, as well as lightly equipped militas in leather with chainmaille underneath.

A sword (no matter how many times grorious nippon fold master) could not cleanly cut (read slash) through plate maille, or chain, as that's their intended purpose in terms of defense.. Half swording was a means to open holes in armor by applying force to a smaller, more concentrated area , or by outright giving your opponent a concussion(even on open fields, not cqc, snake) thus overcoming the necessity of carrying multiple 8+ lb weapons... see pick/hammer/mace and sword, and shield, and dagger, etc..

Literally, half swording was used by holding your sword, by it's own blade, and striking your opponent with the crossguard (which were usually weighted, spiked, or both to some degree.

>>34472113
Those 'pikes' are used in defense, as an opponents blade traverses down yours as they meet, they're primarily designed for trapping, or moving an opponents out of the way, so you can circle round your opponent, while their blade is not immediately in a position of offense, and make a killing blow with your own sword, or dagger/stiletto/rondel/whatever you may have attached to your belt, depending on the person.

T. Hema geek
>>
>>34472420
>plate mail
>T. Hema geek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmLAj9iIfQk
>>
>>34472420
Half-swording was simply a way to have better precision and strenght with the point. It's simply to facilitate the use of the point at the shortest measure. "Mordhau" and half-swording aren't the same thing.
Also, half-swording in english and italian wasn't the same thing as in german, so know that this is apparently a disgusting germanophile thread (Dardi school stronk!).
>>
File: Lecküchner Munich 1482.jpg (321KB, 1447x2102px) Image search: [Google]
Lecküchner Munich 1482.jpg
321KB, 1447x2102px
>>34472420
Once upon a time, late 18th century I think it was, there lived a man who fancied himself a researcher. We'd all beg to differ nowadays, but the standards of his time were effectively none whatsoever, and I'm sure his mom though he was a great researcher. Or said it at least. Now for some reason, probably involving delirium tremens, he got the idea that "mail" wasn't the old word for, well, mail, but for any kind of armour.

So he called scale armour scale mail.
He called plate armour plate mail.
And, faced with having to come up with something to call mail, he made up chain mail.
There's also ring mail, though that never existed historically, they were just a bit too literal about interpreting old artwork.

Now that's unfortunately very wrong, but as I said, the standards of his time weren't much to speak of. So as he got a book published, other relied on that for their research, never bothering with checking those tiresome primary sources themselves. And then others relied on those, and so it went on for a while.

Nowadays we hope to hold ourselves to higher standards, and so all these "something mail" terms are relegated to the museum of fuckups. (Figuratively, I doubt the Museum of Failure in Helsingborg would show any interest.)

Also, you're confusing half-swording, holding your sword with one hand on the grip and one hand about halfway down the blade (thus the "half" bit) with the mordhau, a very specific technique of using a sword like a hammer. They're not the same any more than holding your sword with a single hand is the same as the lunge.

Half-swordign can be seen in my previous picture, here's the mordhau (in a rather uncommon context, unarmoured messer fighting).

As for trapping or other such techniques at the bind, you already have the cross to use for such. No need to add the parrying lugs unless you for some reason feel you need more protection, such as if you're moving one hand past the cross.
>>
File: tulwar1.jpg (169KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
tulwar1.jpg
169KB, 800x600px
>>34470058

Greatswords are basically just less powerful ultra greatsword without special attacks, but I'm exceptionally fond of the Tulwar moveset.
>>
>>34472593
KM I really admire your patience, you keep schooling /k/ for years, to no effect whatsoever, but yet you still don't give up!
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.