[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/'s opinion on the blind owning guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: Zatoichi.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
Zatoichi.webm
3MB, 854x480px
I saw this brought up a week ago and want to go further into it. Having vision problem as of late has helped remind me.

In my opinion the blind should definitely be allowed to own and carry firearms, heck, they're the kind of folks who need to defend themselves most.
Not to mention if I lost my vision, one of the few hobbies I have that I could still do would be blasting ammo at the range. If that were taken away from me then I'd me way more depressed than having gone blind alone.
>>
>>34463310
>On the range, McWilliams learned to take aim by listening to the sound of his target being wheeled back against the wall. It served him very well. McWilliams says he shot better than two-thirds of his class, and in his final exam scored 105 out of 100, with one bullet somehow ricocheting and passing through the target twice.

>Carey McWilliams started hunting in 2008. When ducks fly across the sky, he says, they make a sound like bicycle tyres on a pavement, and he traces them with the barrels of his rifle. For other types of hunting, such as stalking elk, he goes out with a companion, who whispers directions - up a bit, left a bit, right a bit - but who is not permitted to touch his weapon.
>>
>>34463310
>be allowed
Fuck off
>>
File: _76671003_miekka.jpg (14KB, 304x350px) Image search: [Google]
_76671003_miekka.jpg
14KB, 304x350px
>>34463475
>With help from his father, a chemical engineer with about 20 patents to his name, Miekka bought a cadmium sulphide photocell and wired it to turn visual information into clicks like those on a Geiger counter. The clicks intensified when the device was pointed at the outlines of objects, allowing Miekka to make out the edges of buildings and roads.

>"I found out that it worked best with a telescope," Miekka recalls, "and at about the same time my best friend Bill was getting into target shooting, and he said, 'Why don't we try mounting it on a gun and seeing how it works?'"

>Over the years Miekka, now 54, has refined his technology, moving over to a pair of stereoscopic photodiodes. His latest scope, made together with a gunsmith, allows him to pick out an orange target of 0.17in (4mm) diameter at 100 yards (91 metres) - something he says four friends with 20-20 vision could not do. It can also pick out standard National Rifle Association (NRA) targets, allowing him to compete against sighted shooters.

>"I like going out to the range and out-shooting people that can see," says Miekka. His father, Dick Miekka, has never beaten him

>>34463498
Some folks make an argument against it.
>>
Average defensive gun shooting takes place 3 ft away from target. Even legally blind people could hit that close
>>
>>34463310
They are not mentally retarded, and therefore are citizens.
They should not use firearms, but I can't stop them.
>>
>>34463475
>>34463510
See, this stuff I am fine with, but as for carrying and using them defensively I would be worried.

If I were blind I wouldn't give up my guns, but I definitely wouldn't plan on using them to defend myself either. I'd probably get a trusted friend to live at my house and he could blast anyone who tries to break in.
>>
File: 1480364748001.jpg (69KB, 640x927px) Image search: [Google]
1480364748001.jpg
69KB, 640x927px
>>34463574
>>34463517
>>34463526
I can't wait to plunge proud libruls into this moral dilemma of ableism vs. gun control.
>>
>>34463310
>with one bullet somehow ricocheting and passing through the target twice.
This is a polite way of saying the guy next to him was shit.
>>
>>34463827
happened to me once. looked like a very lightly loaded 22lr and it bounced right back from the steel target going through the fresh paper target twice.
>>
>>34463310
Being a gun owner isnt the same thing as shooting.
>>
>>34463310
I don't see a reason why not. I may have answered this question differently a decade ago but since then I've met blind people that are more productive than many people that are not blind.
>>34463574
I wouldn't be worried, being totally blind and legally blind are very different things, even people that are totally blind can function fine.
>>
I actually heard an interview with a former sheriff turned instructor who was teaching ccw classes to the blind years ago. He raised some very valid points.

1. The blind are especially vulnerable to attack.
2. With proper training on drawing anyone can quickly bring a weapon to bear
3. It's virtually impossible to miss a target the barrel is pressed against
4. It's relatively easy to identify the torso of a person physically attempting to grapple by touch alone

All in all a very interesting and informative piece. Wish I remembered his name.
>>
Freedom vs personal accountability/responsibility. Should they should have the rights, because otherwise is infringement, but they should acknowledge that gun ownership has a lot of responsibility and accountability, and being blind makes maintaining that responsibility that much harder.
>>
if a blind person tries to shoot another blind person who is running in a perpendicular direction, does that mean the blind will be leading the blind?
>>
Fuck, i have a fear of going blind. So many hobbied of mine rely on vision.
If i went blind id probably kill myself.
>>
File: Zatoichi spears.webm (247KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
Zatoichi spears.webm
247KB, 854x480px
>>34465705
I was like you, but my visions been getting fucked and honestly life is too good to give up on over something that doesn't threaten it.

I would listen to anime, I would play video games based off sound, and I would still enjoy firearms with the many ways depicted in this thread.

There's no doubt it would be depressing, a horrific blow, but to be worth ending your life over? I disagree. In life there are always chances at happiness, death is just nothing.
>>
File: IMG_4965.jpg (77KB, 640x996px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4965.jpg
77KB, 640x996px
>>34465640
>>
>>34463310
Going blind doesn't make you retarded, though you'd have a hell of a time identifying suitable backstops in a defensive gun use.
>>
>> muh range safety
>> muh trigger discipline
>> muh muzzle sweeping
>> sure, give the blind guy a gun, no problem there!
>>
>>34465864
>Range safety and trigger discipline
How the fuck are these issues?
At the range he'd probably be brought there by a friend unless he has one within walking distance. And of course he'd have trigger discipline, why wouldn't he?

Muzzle sweeping would be an issue but could be avoided by hearing where the other person is and trying to avoid pointing the gun near there.
>>
>>34463310
Honestly? No. I hate to say anyone should be denied their rights, but the thing is that a blind person is, well, blind. They can't see what they're shooting at and that is incredibly dangerous. The rare one might be able to target and point-shoot based on sound, but on the whole, they're entirely too much a danger to everyone around them because their lack of sight prevents them from identifying targets (and things between them and the target), practicing safety procedures, and, you know, aiming. It'd be like letting a blind man drive.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.