[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Understanding mil dot reticles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1497924176362.jpg (35KB, 463x489px) Image search: [Google]
1497924176362.jpg
35KB, 463x489px
Can someone tell me if I understand mil dots correctly?

The target is a 72 inch tall man. He spans 5 mils at the current range:

Distance = 72in * 1000/5mil = 14400in = 400yd

I then apply a holdover, assuming I have 36in of bullet drop at 400 yd with the rifle zeroed at 100yd. Assume at 400yd,1 mil = 14.4in

To compensate for 36in of drop:
36in/(14.4in/mil) = 2.5 mil holdover
>>
>no mention of magnification
Yeah... nah... start over. Watch a Youtube video.
>>
>>34462246
I was under the impression that under a specific magnification listed by the manufacturer of the scope the distance from one mil dot to the next is standardized.
>>
>>34462246
>no mention of FFP or SFP
FTFY
>>
>>34462275
Forgot to mention that I was told this is for SFP scopes, whereas FFP scopes can be used at any magnification for range finding on account of the proportionally scaling reticle.
>>
>>34462217
We use a different system, based on 6300'. The end result is slightly more precise, but not that much.

72 inches=~180cm
1,8m/5'=0,36km=360m
>>
>>34462246
magnification does not matter at all. Mils is a measurement of angle, not distance.
>>
>>34462313
That's what I was thinking as well, considering all the manuals I've read assume you have your scope set to the proper magnification for accurate mil readings and do not mention magnification at all.
>>
>>34462313
though the holdover differs depending on what rifle and caliber your shooting, you need to find those specs on your own.

Realistically, you're generally going to have your rifle zeroed at 300 and use 1 mil holdover for every 100m. That's how i was taught though.
>>
>>34462346
I thought the rifle, caliber and zero distance only affected holdovers insofar as dictating the bullet drop.
>>
>>34462339
Well, if you have a variable power magnification that doesnt change the reticle with the magnification, i suppose it would matter.
>>
>>34462397
Yes, the barrel length, caliber and your zero distance will affect the holdover. I learned one specific platform, but i have no idea what you have. I would imagine that it wouldnt differ too much, but i still want to add a "your mileage may vary".
>>
>>34462397
Oh, i misunderstood what you meant. I mainly used a 10x scope (.308) with the ability to adjust for windage and elevation. Under most circumstances, we would have our scopes set to zero at 300m and for fast shots i would simply use holdover rather than adjust those settings.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.