[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of bullpup rifles? They seem pretty impractical.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 18e5a27.jpg (1MB, 1814x2419px) Image search: [Google]
18e5a27.jpg
1MB, 1814x2419px
What is the point of bullpup rifles? They seem pretty impractical.
>>
Congrats, you cracked the code.
>>
Make the gun shorter and more compact without sacrificing barrel length and therefore accuracy
>>
>>34460233
barrel length != accuracy, barrel length = velocity which is a component in accuracy but only one of many.
>>
>>34460233
...In theory.
>>
>>34460229
The idea since the beginning was to keep the same barrel length but reduce overall length. Whether it's worth it is debatable. Obviously when we're talking about things like anti-material rifles which really need long barrel then bullpup makes a lot of sense, with assault rifles though... it really depends. It's great for mechanized infantry but when you put your boots on the ground it really starts sucking dick because the ergos are going to suck.
>>
File: fsshooting.jpg (29KB, 578x380px) Image search: [Google]
fsshooting.jpg
29KB, 578x380px
also you'll need some frontal ejection system to accommodate lefties and that just adds more complexity. the more moving parts you have, the more likely it is to malf.
>>
>>34460233
Then why are bullpups less accurate than conventional rifles?
>>
>Shorten OAL, keep 16+ barrel for velocity
>In theory, great for accuracy in a compact platform
>In reality, terrible for accuracy because universally shit triggers = worse accuracy

They shine most for 5.56, which is shit out of anything less than a 16" barrel. Other calibers don't care as much.

>>34460363
Shit triggers. A good barrel and good trigger matter more than just about anything else.
>>
>>34460233
>Make the gun shorter and more compact for the same barrel length at the expense of good trigger pull and accuracy
fix'd
>>
>>34460229
>What is the point of bullpup rifles? They seem pretty impractical.

Simplifying your supply chain by having ONE gun that can be used both as a PDW by rear line people (short gun) and as a rifle on the front (long barrel)

>But don't militaries keep purchasing shorter versions for the rearline and longer ones for the front?

Yes because people are retarded.
>>
>there will never be a top fed, bottom ejecting rifle like the P90, in an intermediate or full size cartridge

I really wish I went to college. I could revolutionize firearms. I could make the OICW and MR-C not shit
>>
>>34460237
Well...yeah. It contributes.
>>
>>34460277
it looks like, with cartridge, 22LR's photoshopped to look bigger; are ejecting.
>>
>>34460417
you are a fucking idiot
>>
>>34460424
Didn't an anon try to design a gun for /k/ awhile back?
>>
>>34460237
Shorter gun:barrel length ratio means more maneuverability, less weight, and on the other end, more velocity which leads to longer effective ranges, less windage, and better terminal ballistics.
The sacrifice is trigger quality (unless you use electronic but that opens a can of worms), and also less ergonomic controls, less intuitive reloads, and different balance.
>>
>>34460277
Wouldn't be a problem if we just put all lefties in the gas chambers where they belong, desu.
>>
File: (you) 2.png (237KB, 616x480px) Image search: [Google]
(you) 2.png
237KB, 616x480px
>>34461055
>reference to how edgy your post was
>inb4 leftie spotted
>>
>>34460714
>barrel length ~ accuracy
no... it does not.

in .223, 16inch is just as accurate at a 28in.

constancy is the most important thing.
i smaller bore at the crown helps.
>>
File: Matt-Emmons.jpg (26KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Matt-Emmons.jpg
26KB, 300x200px
>>34460237
>barrel length != accuracy
velocity != accuracy
velocity does not have anything to do with accuracy.

a 22lr is not less accurate than 22-250, 7.62x39, 50bmg.
hell match airguns run at less than 600fps
>>
>>34460263
Ironically, the .50cal sniper rifles that most militaries use are conventional.
>>
>>34461289

the faster the bullet the flatter the trajectory, and the farther it goes before it crosses the sound barrier and flies off in a random direction
>>
>>34462193
Flat trajectory is not accuracy, either.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.