[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steyr M Series Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

File: serveimageM66LD1K0.jpg (524KB, 1046x1108px) Image search: [Google]
serveimageM66LD1K0.jpg
524KB, 1046x1108px
Glock 2.0: Performs just as well as the classic G17, yet almost every part is just a little bit better.

Love it or loathe it, post your observations here (shit-posts voluntary yet appreciated).

Discuss.
>>
>>34458871
People act like it looks science fiction-esque but I just don't see it. It looks like a fucking wonder 9. That's it.
>>
>>34458871
bought a gen 3 steyr M9-A1 from ohio southern guns (lol). went through 500 rounds and had about 50 light primer strikes. went home and took apart the firing pin, cleaned off the brown factory oil and relubed it, and next month had no failures so far. (still dont 100% trust it yet)

TLDR BUY THE GEN 4 NOT GEN 3
>>
drop in the sand and the gun is done.
>>
>>34459087
Nigga find me a gun that doesn't fail after a healthy sand-ing
>>
It's a Glock without the aftermarket to fix what's wrong with it. The only good thing about it at the end of the day is stock performance, which nobody should care about in these piss cheap guns besides Gibsmedats who Dindu Nuffin because Buds don't take no food stamps.

>>34459138
AK5
>>
>>34459138
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuPOqDlaX6U&list=PLmmUI-v7SXNvUI1Bf4PfP5NJDn-dz_NnI
>>
>>34459138
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAEbbhRJNYw
>>
>>34458871
That's not an FNS.

I like how if you try to drop the mag you'll be holding it in unless you move your pinky. What the hell were they thinking?
>>
>>34459396
Aw shit, and can you imagine loading it under stress and pinching your hand between the mag and frame? Where are the forward slide serrations? How does this have any improvements over Glocks when it still has a proprietary rail?
>>
And if you want a solid aftermarket for a polymer striker wonder nine without Glock faggotry, what are your best bets at this point?

Sig P320? CZ P10?
>>
>>34459443
Nothing yet, definitely P320 in the future, probably M&P and P-10 line as well further down. I don't think anything else will last too long.
>>
>>34459396
>>34459403
What the fuck are you two talking about? Your pinky isn't on the magazine and the rail is a standard picatinny rail.
>>
>>34459474
They're looking at it wrong. The bottom of the grip looks like a magazine. T.b.h. I thought the same thing first time I saw it
>>
>>34459512
It's what happens when noguns who have never handled a gun critique it.
>>
>>34459468
I almost don't believe the Army will get the gears moving to put the 320 into the hands of more than just Rangers. It seems to good to be true that a non-glock will have a solid market share as civ/leo follow military footsteps and adopt it at large.
>>
>>34459443
Beretta APX?? I don't know what Beretta aftermarket is usually like
>>
>>34459541
>I almost don't believe the Army will get the gears moving to put the 320 into the hands of more than just Rangers.

The rangers (and the rest of SOCOM) will continue to use the glock 19. It'll be big army that gets stuck with the p320.
>>
>>34459210
>hol up let me promote this brand new gun company real quick, go buy one guys
:^)
>>
>>34459520
You're the one who thinks that's a standard picatinny rail...

That line does make it look like the mag is retarded, but on closer inspection the mag is out of the gun. In any case I don't see the point of a Glock copy that doesn't have any better features than a Glock.
>>
>>34459917
That's because it is a standard picatinny rail.
>>
>>34459443
M&P 2.0 or PPQ are the best polymer guns. better than glockshit that's "perfection".
>>
>>34459736
just like with the M45 MEUSOC, the P320 reeks of some fanboyism at work.
>>
Please cite actual evidence for better/equivalent performance.

Reminder that nothing comes close to glawks at battlefield vegas where they dump hundreds of thousands of rounds daily.
>>
>>34460132
>Please cite actual evidence
>mentions some inaccurate shit without source
classic
>>
>>34461737
>observable results
Look them up fuccboi
>>
>>34459087
No ones done a torture test on these. Cite your source.
>>
>>34459149
There's nothing wrong with it
>>
>>34459396
I have huge hands and this is not a problem.
>>
>>34459917
It is a standard rail
>>
>>34458871
I've a M series, and - despite poor choice for ammo on my part (class II "stovepipe" malfunction) - I've experienced no serious issues with it. Fits my hand, perfectly, "sight picture" is damn-near instant due to the trapezoidal sights, and takedown's a snap.

My only caveats are the key safety (only for those where small children are present) and the magazine, both its steel construction and price point. Dent the magazine and that's thirty-plus dollars down the drain-

-THIRTY damn dollars for one standard-cap magazine! Should be fifteen-to-twenty (tax included), since me and a couple others are the only ones shopping around for them.

>34459520
Agreed.

>34459087
Source?
>>
>>34458871
>always want Steyr M9
>buy M9-A1
>take it home and play with it
>wow this thing is big and thick, it's as chunky as a Glock 21
>what is this fucking seam running down the entire length of this cheap toy-like polymer frame
>trying really hard not to regret my purchase
>"at least the trigger is really good"
>take it to range, first magazine is orgasmic
>second magazine get multiple failures to extract
>keep shooting, get extraction failures every magazine
>contact Steyr and tell them what's up, they say they've updated the extractor assembly and will send me a new extractor and spring
>okay cool
>wait
>wait
>wait
>two weeks later nothing
>email them again saying I'll gladly pay for it if it'll expedite the process
>they send it out that day for free
>three days later get new extractor and spring
>go to range
>fails to extract at the same rate
>sell it with full disclosure

I have never been so disappointed with a purchase before. That's what I get for hyping a gun up in my mind for years without actually handling one.
>>
>>34463058
Should have bought the gen 4
>>
>>34459443
My brother just bought a P-10 C and now has to wait 4-6 weeks for them to replace it because it broke within 200 rounds. They didn't say exactly what the issue was, but he sent it back because the slide stop spring worked itself loose with every couple shots and made the slide lock open randomly. As soon as they got it they told him they needed to replace the whole gun.

Wait for CZ to work out the kinks. Never be a beta tested for a new gun, even if all the Youtubers say it's the best thing ever.
>>
>>34459468
The M&P has been around since 2005 so it already has a decent aftermarket. It's nowhere near the size of the Glock, but you can get most of what you'd want.
>>
>>34463079
What's different in the Gen 4 that would fix extraction that isn't the extractor assembly itself? And why did Steyr tell me those updated parts would fix my issue?
>>
File: EnhancedF.png (202KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
EnhancedF.png
202KB, 640x456px
Is the Caracal any better or is it UAEshit?
>>
>>34463166
The Caracal was fine before it was recalled and beefed up. One guy in Pakistan blew his up with sketchy Chinese ammo and Caracal, being a new company, went full damage control and recalled everything. There were no other recorded incidents or failures and everyone who had them stateside seemed to love them.

I just hope in their lawyer-fueled efforts to make the new pistols "safe" from Pakis with mystery ammo they didn't ruin any of the good things the Caracal had going for it originally.
>>
>>34463137
redesigned
>>
>>34463245
Yeah, but what was redesigned nigga? What in the gun did they change, other than the extractor assembly?
>>
>>34459039

>bitches about gun filled with factory packing grease having issues until he cleans out said grease

The issue wasn't the gun, it was you.
>>
>>34460132
>Reminder that nothing comes close to glawks at battlefield vegas where they dump hundreds of thousands of rounds daily.

Guess you didn't get to the part in the thread where gen 4 glocks crack their slides in 30k rounds
>>
>>34463283
Battlefield Vegas says otherwise

>I can tell you that even though I am not a “Glock guy”, it is the most reliable handgun in our inventory and I would trust it with my life. We use Gen1-Gen4 17’s on the line and they are the most hassle-free handgun we have. I used my original Gen1 17 when we first opened two and a half years ago and it finally broke about six months ago. When I say broke, Glock’s pretty much are the only handgun that suffer a “catastrophic” break. The slide cracks right at the narrow portion at the ejection port. They will continue to fire most of the time but the rounds group at the top right corner of the target. The factory recoil springs are amazing because the just keep going. The Glock gets used probably 10X as much as our Beretta M92’s so it’s not fair to say the Beretta is more reliable (see below). We don’t use aftermarket slides on our Glocks so I couldn’t give you any info on those because Glock will replace our cracked slides under warranty. Also, I don’t meant to give the impression that slides break all the time but it would be fair to say that they get at least 100,000 rounds before cracking.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/160140_High_round_count_pistols__100_000___observations.html&page=1
>>
>>34458871
I'm not going to claim the Steyr Mguns are every bit as reliable as Glocks, but holy crap my L9 is fun to shoot, and I like the trapezoidal sight system on it.
>>
>>34463746
IKR?
>>
>>34463276
Any time I get a new gun, regardless of make or model, I always clean out the damn thing, firstly, and put fresh lube in it.

I honestly thought that went without saying.
>>
>>34461820
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVjwhWvgXhE

Go to 5:30
>>
>>34458871
>40SW
To the trash it goes
>>
>>34463794
It does anon, it does.

>fucking stupid people
>>
>>34463854
>"fucking stupid people"

True, true....
>>
>>34460132
That's cool and all, but there's more to a pistol then how long recoil springs hold up, especially since that's a part that gets replaced every 5-8000 rounds. Things like grip angle, comfort, and just how accurate someone shoots with a pistol probably matter more overall.

Also, not that someone who wants a manual safety or DA/SA would choose a Glock anyway, but it sounds like their 226s are running fine with good spring maintenance. Ditto for the Beretta 92s as well.
>>
>>34463762
Word.
>>
>>34463796
First, that's more than a grain of sand
Second, he throws it in the mud, then it cuts to him holding it and it's cleaned off and dry. What happened between?
>>
>>34463268
IDK, I'm not an engineer
>>
>>34463301
From later in the thread:

> Some of the most recent Glocks to fail have done so in the 20,000-30,000 round count range. We have at least five Glock down right now because of cracked slides. We've had some of our older models on the line much longer with MUCH higher round counts and didn't suffer from this type of failure.
>>
>>34464206
Jesus....
>>
File: 20170704_152052.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170704_152052.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>34458871
in for Steyr GBE
>grip angle
>bore axis

I have had two issues with mine, burr on the firing pin (widely reported, buffs out) and lackluster magazines. One of the two it shipped with did not drop free, was too wide. Their followers aren't as nice as mec-gar followers (they tilt quite a bit during loading) but they feed alright.

It has a nice trigger, on par with the PPQ. The grip is great too, feels very natural and secure compared to most other designs
>>
>>34462943
I'm trying to figure how I can loosen the extractor claw on mine just a little bit. I think that's another contributor to the stovepipe jam you mentioned.
>>
>>34464278
Eh. What's a replacement slide cost?

Assuming you run a relatively light routine of 3 boxes of 9mm ammo every 2 weeks, that's 3 years, 4-6 recoil springs, and around $6000 in ammo to hit 30000 rounds. The slide is what, less than 1/10 of ammo cost alone?

Better if it would last longer, but it's not that bad. (Don't hold me too accountable on those numbers, by the way. No scratch pad.)
>>
>>34463796
TFTB is not credible
>>
>>34459443

What are you looking for from the aftermarket? Just holsters and sights then pretty much every polymer pistol has a decent one.

But if you're looking for custom grips, better triggers, etc. then look at polymer pistols that have been out for a while now. The Sig P320, Walther PPQ, M&P 1.0/2.0, etc.
>>
>>34464463
This. Who really cares about replacing the slide every 30k rounds? Especially considering they outright say the Glocks are their most reliable handguns. I'd much rather have a gun that works reliably for 30k rounds and then needs a parts change, than one that lasts longer and malfunctions more. Plus, they say the slides are covered under warranty.
>>
>>34464463
>>34465776

Not bashing glock, but when your gen 2's and 3's go for 100,000 rounds and then the gen 4's have 1/4-1/3 the lifespan, call me a faggot but that's crap.
>>
>>34465881
I don't think it's them. Heresay from the metal working guys is that China has so flooded the steel market that no one can actually verify where their steel is coming from any longer.
>>
>>34458871
I wish they made the L version in .357 sig.
>>
>>34465954
The source is quite respectable and covers a ton of rounds from a ton of copies of guns, it's almost indisputable.

Links are all throughout the thread if you want to vet, just remember - read it all before you chime in.
>>
File: vp9_cracked_slide.jpg (190KB, 1096x766px) Image search: [Google]
vp9_cracked_slide.jpg
190KB, 1096x766px
>>34465973
Have you considered that Glock likely did not purposefully choose shittier metal for the gen 4 sources? Have you not seen the number of threads on /k/ bitching about the falling quality of firearms over the last few years.

Also, it's not only Glock that is seeing this happen.
>>
Most /k/ommandos sold theirs honestly. Its nothing special just looks cool. I only know 1 person who still has one and he never fucking shoots it. If he shot it more he'd probably resell it too. Also the superior version is the one without the rail.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.