[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make proper black powder?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (14KB, 331x152px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 331x152px
So recently I've been obsessing over 45-70. I'll be getting a 45-70 lever gun, a Marlin 1895GBL 6+1 capacity 18.5 barrel(I'll threaded the barrel for a suppressor) and I'd like to shoot black powder through it. I'll do smokeless as well but I want some black powder do since it would be cheaper, if I can make it.
Now my question is, what's the difference between some online bought proper blAck powder Meant for reloads vs what I can make at home?
Black powder is kno3, Carbon, and sulfur.
Can I make the same high quality black powder at home? Btw I'm looking for the highest velocities.
Now I think the important thing is surface area. Smaller the indvidual particles the better it will work, also probably a lot of oxidizer. So I'm thinking of using more potassium nitrate(fine small particles), fine activated charcoal and then a little bit of sulfur and then tumblr the mixture for a day or more.
Also what about adding another fuel source(just say 2 percent or 1 percent) of say aluminum?

Black powder is like 23 dollars a pound and given that salt Peter isn't that expensive, and neither is carbon or even sulfur(and I won't use much sulfur) it seems like i could make this a lot cheaper.

The bullet I'll be using is a round nose 560 grain hardcast bullet.

Also the suppressor is stainless steel with possible melonite treatment if I can find somebody to do it. So corrosion Isn't an issue there.

I can't wait till I get a 4570 lever gun and then have a suppressor with it. I'm so sick of semi autos. I mean for Shtf I'll take my tacticool ar but it's boring to shoot.
>>
>>34457729
>Can I make the same high quality black powder at home?
no
you can make blackpowder but it will be nowhere near the quality of factory stuff
>>
>>34457729
I got a book I've been meaning to scan that is all about how to make 1700s style black powder. Long story short. It's cheaper to buy it at 20 bucks a pound then to make you own. I get gortex or whatever it's called. Black powder is fun but messy.
>>
>>34457729
The fact you have to ask shows you have no idea and you should not be attempting this.
>>
>>34457729
Also the stuff you ve an make is ussaly far more corrosive and hard to clean.
>>
>>34457779
The fact that I have to ask if can make equally good black powder at home means I don't know anything?
It's black powder, quite a bit simpler than smokeless and even that isn't difficult to make. At least the nitro cellulous isn't or the nitro glycerin that is used in some powders. Sure, granule shape would be difficult but the actual components not. That's not even relevant to black powder.
>>
>>34457784
Why though? I mean what's the difference? What is special about factory made BP?
If anyone know the exact composition of a brand of black powder id really like to know.
>>
>>34457757
Ok how about this.
Can I make black powder that will give me just as high or near as high velocities as what factory made stuff can?
>>
>>34457774
I just bought 5 pounds of kno3 for 3.44 a pound(reblueing a pistol). That could be 2.44 from a different manufacture in 10 pounds. Carbon black also isn't that expensive. Same with a tumbling machine.
>>
>Asking how to make explosives in your home

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/black-powder-subject-regulation-under-federal-explosives-laws

>Black powder is an explosive material for purposes of Federal explosives laws and regulations. However, the law exempts from regulation commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not exceeding 50 pounds (as well as percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers) intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) or in antique devices exempted from the term "destructive device" in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4).
>>
>>34457837
No
>>
>>34457821
It doesn't burn as clean. Factory doesn't burn clean and what ever you make will only get as close as Codys lab did in his expirments
>>
>>34458038
Ok but what's the difference between factory and what you can make at home? This isn't magic, it's chemistry and not even very complex chemistry.
>>
File: file.jpg (95KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
95KB, 960x720px
>>34458044
If your stoichiometry is right and you have the appropriate additives to reduce sensitivity to static electricity, then the chemical difference is up to you.

However, a Federal Explosives License, appropriate fire suppression equipment, other permits, zoning variances, and licenses from your local fire marshal, city, state, and other authorities with a legal mandate to regulate explosives manufacturers will be your next step. Enjoy spending thousands of dollars on what amounts to a science experiment.
>>
>>34458107
Does anyone here know the actual chemical composition and physical grain size of factory black powder?

This is just for personal use. Do I really need all that for basically mixing 2 or 3 ingriedients that aren't really even that sensitive? I mean if can buy a 10 pounds of black powder online with no regulatory bullshit why can't I make 10 pounds of black powder?
>>
>>34458193
Just because it's fairly safe to ship does not mean it's safe to make.
Powder mills still blow up fairly regular.
>>
>>34458193
>Do I really need all that for basically mixing 2 or 3 ingriedients that aren't really even that sensitive?
you are going to kill yourself
>>
File: file.jpg (40KB, 615x313px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
40KB, 615x313px
>If I can buy 10 gallons of gasoline down the street with no regulatory bullshit why can't I refine 10 gallons of gasoline in my house?
>>
>>34458224
I'm aware of static electricity, electrical sources, spark sources and heat sources that could cause ignition.
I'm not an imbecile.
>>
>>34458250
how can you say you are not an imbecile when you asked /k/ for advice?
>>
>>34458229
False equivalence.
Refining gasoline from oil is a much more complex and dangerous process than making black powder from salt Peter and carbon.
>>
>>34458261
Because even though k is filled with retards and no gunz there can be a few that could answer someone's question. 4chan is much faster than forums in response time so that's why I asked here. I can already make black powder, it's not difficult I just want to make a quality one and I don't exactly know what gives some factory black powder that quality. I don't really care about clean burning, just velocity I can attain in loads.
>>
>>34458262
STOP BEING A DUMBASS AND BUY IT. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SOME MAKE SOME IN A SMALL BATCH. YOU CANT MAKE IT AFORABLY YOU CANT MAKE IT BETTER.
>>
>>34458283
Literally no one here has been able to tell me what's so good about factory BP.
>>
>>34458250
Yet you ask a Uruguayan doll weaving forum for advice while showing little to no regard for national and local explosives regulation laws.

For fuck's sake, there's dozens of rogue science/backyard pyrotechnics forums that have this information just a google search away yet you want 4chan to spoon feed you.

>>34458280
>I don't exactly know what gives some factory black powder that quality

The people making it are following a proprietary formula engineered for optimal performance for a given cost, and process engineers and quality control/assurance experts try very hard to inspect the facilities and the product for defects before allowing it to be sold.

Either get experimenting at your own risk or nut up and pay the market price.
>>
>>34458310
consistency. That is it. The powder is of high quality and is consistent.
>>
>>34458313
Haven't found anything of use doing that.

It's black powder, salt Peter, carbon and sulfur. What exactly do they have that's so proprietary?
>>
From my experimentation, using a proper charcoal is key to quality. Try willow wood to make the charcoal I think that's historically been considered the best. Never thought of using activated carbon... I guess it would work, more surface area is helpful.
>>
>>34458310
They have the experience and equipment to produce consistent mixes in consistent grain sizes for consistent burn.
Homemade tends to be clumpy, prone to separation during storage and has an inconsistent burn rate, causing problems such as hangfires and misfires.
>>
>>34458348
They have a safe, profitable, consistent, large-scale production process that minimizes waste.

Homemade powder will burn like shit if it's not screened for different grain sizes properly so FFg, FFFg, FFFFg are segregated and don't mingle in the same load.
>>
>>34457986
>exceeding 50 pounds

Faggot yourself
>>
File: 1456408383355.jpg (67KB, 469x470px) Image search: [Google]
1456408383355.jpg
67KB, 469x470px
>>34458395
>keeping more than 50 pounds of explosives in anything but a properly designed and inspected bunker or powder magazine
>>
Don't listen to the haters, go make some and report back OP
>>
>>34458392
Well isn't it best to have the smallest grain for more surface area? I mean say I mixed carbon black, kno3(fine particles) and some sulfur with the correct weights in a tumbling machine for a day, why would it perform less well than factory made stuff?
>>
File: 1497410993398.jpg (34KB, 374x503px) Image search: [Google]
1497410993398.jpg
34KB, 374x503px
>>34458395
>commercially manufactured
Blow a 12 gauge.
>>
File: file.jpg (52KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
52KB, 400x400px
>>34458410
>super fine powder dust
>saturates air in your workshop
>your lamp or other electrical equipment in your workshop aren't rated for explosives
>pic related

>you do have explosive atmosphere rated lighting and electrical equipment in your workshop
>go to range with your handloads that follow commercial data
>greater surface area
>faster burn rate
>different pressure curve
>pic related

>adjust load to be lower volume because you're "not an imbecile"
>load settles to bottom
>there is now an air gap in the cartridge
>bulged chamber or delayed/failed ignition

>figure out a formula of filler to add to your super powder
>powder burns slower now
>after spending extra money and time to make it burn faster
>why didn't you just load powder grain size the manufacturer specified?
>>
>>34458632
Yeah I wouldn't mix this inside a building. It would be outside.

Yeah I don't think black powder could ever blow up a gun when properly loaded. Before hand I would test the burn rate vs some factory stuff as well.

again, ways around this. load bullet into carridge and measure how far it sticks out with a micrometer. Wait a month, remove the bullet and measure how far deep the powder is. There's also using a small power wad at the base of the bullet.
>>
>>34457986
>posts chinese girl picture to express himself
>calls others faggots

And not only are you a literal closet homo, you're a statist bootlicking homo
>>
>>34457821
>What is special about factory made BP?
Consistency. Both in granule size and in purity.
>>
>>34458699
>Yeah I don't think black powder could ever blow up a gun when properly loaded.

The condom broke on you, didn't it boy?

If you want to make your own black powder, fine, there's plenty of videos on youtube and instructions online on how to do so. But if you want it to be of the highest quality while also "saving money" it's going to be a fool's errand, because you're going to fuck up several times and possibly blow something up before you get the chemistry just right for your particular gun with your particular brass firing your particular bullet. Nice as a survival technique but that's all.

You'd be better off getting a shitload of TrailBoss, the power is more-or-less equal to black while having the advantage of not being horribly filthy nor corrosive.
>>
>>34457729
How would an as val style lever action look. Im talking integrally suppressed and probably in something subsonic like .45
>>
>>34457729
You'll need lots of fecal material and/or piss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder#Mainland_Europe

>During this time, European manufacturers also began regularly purifying saltpeter, using wood ashes containing potassium carbonate to precipitate calcium from their dung liquor, and using ox blood, alum, and slices of turnip to clarify the solution.[50]
>>
>>34459169
he wouldn't need to re-purify the KNO3. modern commodity stuff is as pure as you need outside a lab.
>>
>>34460166
Yeah I think the charcoal will be the most difficult part.
>>
>>34458348
The correct formula to make the various types of black powder. The proper formulas to make sure that you're achieving proper burn rates so that you can get consistent velocities out fo what you're shooting. If you go making black powder you're just going to get some inconsistent bullshit that's going to shoot like shit.
>>
Jesus Christ there are a lot of retards in this thread. My apologies OP.
>Asking a question=know nothing
>It's illegal
>You can't possibly make a decent quality version of stuff mass produced in the 1700s
>>
>>34462249
Its not like you're contributing anything either, you fucking gook.
>>
>>34457729
Black powder isn't just black powder. It is different granular sizes that lead to different burn rates. Different burn rates mean different velocities, which also mean inconsistent ammo. If you want to load black powder loads, buy some black powder online (grafs has their own brand for like $15/pound + $20 hazmat (so buy multiple pounds and all of your smokeless reloading powder at once)). Not only will you get more consistent results, it will be safer for you.

If you really, really want to make black powder, understand it is a dangerous process. Even the old major manufacturers with all of their experience and caution, still had fires and explosions. If you want to make black powder in any sizable quantities (as in multiple pounds), you are just asking for trouble. It is not as easy as mixing cake ingredients, it really is a process.

Also as for shooting black powder in general. Why? Unless you have a gun that was designed to shoot only black powder you are asking for trouble. Black powder can be a pain to clean up, leaves corrosive residue and also leave hygroscopic residue, so it not only will corrode you rifling and other parts but attract water to do it faster. You will need to clean everything after shooting, especially your suppressor (have fun cleaning all of those baffles).

Black powder can be a ton of fun in guns that are meant to fire it. But most modern guns are not meant to fire black powder.

also
tldr
>>
>>34457837
so much wrong with this question....

You will unlikely be able to have the same type of quality at the same price. You will probably pay more for less decent quality. If you want to approach this from a SHTF point of view, or from a "how good can I make it" point of view. Fine. But it won't be "quality reload".

Smaller granules will burn faster but only a fucking retard would make his main charge out of priming powder. This is NOT smokeless where faster burning means higher velocity. You load a main charge with the finest granulation you might well kaboom your gun. And the bullet will travel about the same speed. You need to read some books on blackpowder and BP shooting.

And your idea of just letting the mixture tumble for a day is a horrendously bad idea. Suicidally bad even. Do you have any idea how touchy Black Powder is? Old days they would mix it wet and carefully grind the granules after. And even then it was not a safe thing.
>>
>>34458262
Its not false equivelence, your retarded and dont know enough abotu either process to say that.

> assumingmaking gas isnt just refining crude oil
>Assuming refining crude oil isnt the same process a making moonshine

Just because you know enough to shitpost about dosent mean you can do it you fucking faggot.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.