[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steyr Scout opinion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: 0.jpg (186KB, 1000x558px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
186KB, 1000x558px
What is /k/'s opinion of the Scout? Is it a meme gun? I think the integral bipod is pretty neat.
>>
>>34457458
Love it, really handy, but /k/ loves to hate on them for some reason that doesn't often get explained.
>>
>>34457458
Its an extremely modular, low weight gun with many features. The built in bipod is a little flimsy but for a scout rifle you can't really complain as most rifles you come across of this nature aren't built for military spec anyway and I think this is no different.

I like how close the scope is to the barrel but I still wish it came with a built in cheek rest and the gun could take stripper clips from the top since the ejection port is very far away from the scope itself
>>
>>34457479
Because 95% of /k/ doesn't know a damn thing about guns.
>>
File: Steyr-Scout-840x440.jpg (39KB, 840x440px) Image search: [Google]
Steyr-Scout-840x440.jpg
39KB, 840x440px
>>34457458
I see you saw Ian's video recently.
>>
>>34457602
depressingly true
>>
>>34457458
I used the shit of the weapon in CS 1.6
>>
>>34457627
I would actually like to get one of these guns, but they're like 1300. A little pricey for me but other than that its a really cool rifle. I like the magazine detach because my other rifles don't have that
>>
>>34457479
Most people don't like it because it's designed for a niche that really doesn't exist. Unless you've got a time machine and want go back to some colonial conflict in Africa or are working as some sort of anti-poaching job i can't really see the benefits of the idea.
>>
>>34457778
This.
It really doesn't do anything that a SCAR or AR10 can't do better.
>>
>>34457458
I would unironically buy scout rifle if they were affordible where I live.

>>34457479
because /k/ is neither noguns (doesn't know shit) or american hasguns (spoiled with choice)

>>34457804
except being much more handy and simpler (and about 1kg lighter)
>>
File: Wallace is a cool guy .png (191KB, 893x362px) Image search: [Google]
Wallace is a cool guy .png
191KB, 893x362px
This entire thread is people saying that /k/ hates the Scout despite it being good, while no people actually hate on the Scout.
>>
>>34457458
>Is it a meme gun?
Yes.

>I think the integral bipod is pretty neat.
Yes.
>>
>>34457458
They're certainly light weight and accurate, I bet it would be fun to hunt with one
>>
>>34458082
>except being much more handy
yes

>simpler
Only if you're a simpleton

>1kg lighter
weight is a meme.
>>
It was literally on Forgotten Weapons!
FORGOTTEN WEAPONS!
FORGOTTEN!
>>
>>34457458
>I think the integral bipod is pretty neat.

get a Kel-Tec SU-16
>>
File: fushing reed.jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fushing reed.jpg
35KB, 500x500px
>>34457458
I don't know about the gun besides using it in cunter stroke. But it reminds me of pic related when the bipod is deployed.
>>
>>34458134
>>34457627
Do we dislike Ian now or something? I really enjoy Forgotten Weapons
>>
File: Mooseknuckle Brigade.jpg (30KB, 660x439px) Image search: [Google]
Mooseknuckle Brigade.jpg
30KB, 660x439px
>>34457458
I think it looks pretty cool and must be a great gun given Steyr's reputation. Plus the version that they pitched to the Canadian Rangers looks pure buttsecks.
>>
>>34457638
that would be the only reason for me to buy one. i can still hear the "pewshhh" sound it made
>>
>>34457458
Well, they're light and accurate. Everything past that is either
>muh pricetag
which is fair, since they ARE fucking expensive, or nitpicking.

An example of nitpicks I have with it:
>upper handguard means no large-objective scopes without a cheek saddle on the stock
>integrated bipod is flimsy as shit and gets pinchy when shooting offhand on rifles more than a couple of weeks into use
>no factory threaded barrel option

I was very impressed with both the cold-bore and extended firing accuracy of the one I shot, which I don't own, but at $1300 I think it's a bit overpriced.
>>
>>34458163
It's a forgotten weapon, and you should forget about it!
>>
File: image.jpg (468KB, 1273x1555px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
468KB, 1273x1555px
>>34458098
You've clearly never seen any previous scout rifle threads. Much shit was posted.
>>
>>34458098
if it stays long enough you'll see

>>34458119
>Only if you're a simpleton
not even worth commenting

>weight is a meme
shows that you don't leave your chair vary often
>>
File: Senemy-Potted.jpg (60KB, 493x338px) Image search: [Google]
Senemy-Potted.jpg
60KB, 493x338px
Everything is a meme gun anon.
If you think it's cool, go for it.
Of course there will always be better options out there but /k/won't agree with your purchase anyway.
>>
>>34458588
>am I backpacking in the mountains right now?
No. Therefore I don't care about weight.
If an extra pound or ten ruins my day, then I'm not in good enough shape to be enjoying the day and should be training instead.
>>
>>34457778
This guy gets it.

Not a terrible rifle, but imho, it tries to do everything (just like Jeff Cooper wanted) but it comes up short.

>It's a bolt gun with a bipod, but it certainly isn't a bench rifle.
>It's designed for "military scouting" but it doesn't autoload, and the long eye relief scopes aren't comfortable to use for extended periods.
>For the price, it feels a bit flimsy. The bipod feels like it would snap off before you finished one tour.

Idk, it's just not for me.
>>
>>34459229
>am I backpacking in the mountains right now?

I am literally thinking about getting a scout rifle to take on week long backpacking trips. This is one of the only reasons to purchase a scout rifle these days.
>>
the bipod is awesome and it's super light for a .308. expensive mags though.
>>
I think I was conditioned to hate it because it was the gun you got stuck with on CS when you didn't have the money for the M4 or AWP
>>
>>34457479
Limited scope options because of long eye relief, flimsy integral bipod (shouldn't have been included at all imo), and not available in 6.5 Creedmore, which would be better than any of the current chamberings offered.
>>
>>34459540
>muh 6.5 mememoore
>>
>>34459540
>he doesn't know you can mount standard scopes on it!

Why are you offering your opinion when you've clearly never handled or used one of these?
>>
This exact fucking thread pops up about every month. It's shilling guys. This turd isn't selling probably and they are viral marketing.
>>
>>34459663
except that is is better than traditional offerings and if you reload, no more expensive.
>>
>>34457458
Long eye relief scope isn't bad by itself but nowadays it's not really needed anymore.

Outside of it - it's kind of frontiersman rifle. Not bad by itself but for most purposes you can get better rifle for less money(for about its price you can get good AR 10). This one has simply very specific niche.
>>
>>34459663
>he doesn't know
>laughing 1000 yard silhouettes.jpg
>>
fudd meme gun invented by old fudd. obsolete today as you can just get an AR-15 (or-10 if you full power).
>>
>>34459775
The one I saw had the scope mounted above the handguard, but it looks like you're right, I stand corrected. Still I'd never even consider buying one.
>>
>>34459788
>>34459835
benefits of mememoore over 308 are lost in a scout rifle
>>
Since I had to sight one in at work, here are my 2 cents.

>light, almost too light
>very heat sensitive (after ~4 slow shots the groups openend the fuck up)
>didn't like the ergonomy that much
>plastic felt cheap (maybe I'm just spoiled by Blaser and the likes)
>groups were okay
>(I know /k/ is gonna ridicule me for this) with the form of the stock and how light it is, the recoil felt very sharp

Overall my experience with it was underwhelming, since I also liked the look.
>>
>>34457458
I meber really liked the idea of a scout rifle all that much. I had the Ruger Gunsite Scout and was told it was better than the Steyr Scout. Went to go hunt hogs and it wasn't all that accurate. I'm not sure how good the magazine's are for the Scout but for the Ruger they were terrible.
The best way I can describe it was it was bad mix between a Ruger Mini and something like a R700. Both of which are way more customizable that a Scout rifle
Even for a couple hundred bucks more I'd rather get an M1A and fire a full rifle cartridge
>tfw when sold Gunsite Scout with Crossfire II scope for 1100
>tfw used money to get m24 barrel and Magpul removable mag system
>yfw I cut the barrel to 18 inches and it's the same concept and Jeff Cooper was full of shit
>>
>>34457627
>I see you saw Ian's video recently.

I would expect most people who watch a show like that, high in info but low in Pew Pew, to have read the wiki article on scout rifles way before Ian got around to making a video on them.
>>
>>34457458
I think they are sexy as hell but I just can't justify spending that much on a gun based solely off sexiness.
>>
>>34457458
I have one, the local fun store had a lightly used one that was rather cheap.

Great rifle if you, like me, hunt with a dog (and thus walk a lot). Ive never used the bipods, but its both lighter than most rifles, which is important if you walk alot), short and does fast shots really well. Very handy rifle.
>>
>>34458163

i think people want to dislike ian because he is getting popular, also because of his shilling of that repro STG44
>>
>>34460116
does 3/4 of "standard" weight really makes difference?

asking as person that only shot shotties, but never .308
>>
>>34460710
Normally not, but something about that gun just makes it unpleasant to shoot.

I had to sight in rifles in the same caliber that weigh the same or even less (Tikka T3 lite, Merkel RX Helix Explorer, various single shot rifles), but out of all those the Steyr was the most unpleasant one.

Dunno probably something about the ergnonomics in general or just not fitting me specifically.
>>
File: 1498603422647.png (348KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1498603422647.png
348KB, 640x427px
On a related note opinions on Ruger scout vs the Mossberg MVP?
>>
>>34457504
https://steyrarms.com/firearms/steyr-elite-308.html

>Differences to the standard Scout include [...] an adjustable cheek piece [...].
>The additional features of the Elite give it a weight of 9.5 lbs., which makes it fall outside Col. Jeff Cooper's definition of a scout rifle.

>>34458175
>Plus the version that they pitched to the Canadian Rangers looks pure buttsecks.
To be honest, the scout rifle concept would be perfect for them. A rifle that needs to be carried, trained with, but rarely ever need to be used - but damn effective when you pull the trigger.

>>34459289
I think you're misconcepting the idea of that ''military scout''. Cooper's original idea was a scout that would walk for days, shoot one or two targets, and then fuck off. The goal would be scouting, not engaging the enemy at long distance, so you wouldn't need a benchgun. No extended recon (like you'd expect from a sniper), so the scope doesn't have to be comfy. No continuous engagements like a DMR, so you wouldn't need an autoloader. Besides, an autoloader, target barrel and a great scope would add weight, and that's going against the point of a light rifle. Same goes for a really sturdy bipod.
>>
>>34460935
It was the the perfect frontiersman rifle.
>>
>>34461093
>It was the the perfect frontiersman rifle.
... For an age where we don't exactly need one. Brilliant concept, very niche use scenario - altough, again, a perfect fit for something like the Mounties.
>>
>>34458082
>spoiled with choice

don't worry congress is working on that
>>
>>34460904
Do you want a sexy wood rifle with a long eye relief scope or do you want a cheap plastic rifle you wouldn't mind beating up in the woods while hunting durr?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.