[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be possible to produce a sniper rifle more accurate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_1168.png (3MB, 2001x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1168.png
3MB, 2001x1125px
Would it be possible to produce a sniper rifle more accurate than a tac 50? From my (i couldve taught ap physics while i was in high school) reasoning ability, im pretty sure you could engineer a rifle system using even bigger cal than a .50 (barret/tac/etc...), that would be even more resistant to crosswinds, distance considerations etc... I understand its feasible to produce a very powerful laser which would be 100% accurate from any distance but i havent seen much in that area of development.
What do you think is the theoretical distance capable of a sniper? 3 miles?
10 miles?
20 miles?
>>
>>34457388
>(i couldve taught ap physics while i was in high school)

I find this highly unlikely given that you think laser weapons are real and that LoS could extend 20 miles.
>>
It gets to the point where it is artillery or if you push something small too fast, it disintegrates the projectile. They have guided ammo now as well.
>>
File: 266.png (2MB, 2360x2240px) Image search: [Google]
266.png
2MB, 2360x2240px
>>34457388
>i couldve taught ap physics while i was in high school

I'm sure your English teachers liked you a ton.
>>
>>34457388
You...you do know the Earth isn't a flat surface, right? A laser wouldn't work. This is one major advantage of indirect fire.
>>
File: TP-P-09-07.jpg (223KB, 503x940px) Image search: [Google]
TP-P-09-07.jpg
223KB, 503x940px
>>34457388
>more resistant to crosswinds
That's not how physics works, Mr. AP Physics Reasoning Ability.
>>
>>34457388
the horizon draw distance of the earth limits direct fire to a fraction less than 3 miles. so yeah the theoretical max direct snipe distance is approx 2.9 miles.
>>
>>34457554
I should clarify *the horizon draw distance of a man sized target*
>>
Earth curvature duh. From an elevated position you should have more options.
>>
>>34457554

Unless you're in mountainous terrain, like Afghanistan (or the Rockies, circa civil war 2.0 in 2020).
>>
>Would it be possible to produce a sniper rifle more accurate than a tac 50?
Easily .50 is not a particularly accurate round. Both .338 LM and .300 WM are more accurate than .50, .50 just has the greater mass (~30x) which lends itself better to retaining energy at range.
>I understand its feasible to produce a very powerful laser which would be 100% accurate from any distance but i havent seen much in that area of development.
Disregarding atmospheric refraction and shit, not practical because power concerns.
>>
>>34459141
great so add another variable called atmospheric pressure differential on top of needing to account for coriolis effect at that range. take away advanced realtime barometric,windspeed/direction,and tempearture feedback from downrage, hitting a man sized target from 5mi away, 4000ft altitude difference would be like hitting a chickadee on the street from the Tower of the americas restaurant with a fucking daisy
>>
>>34457388

A 50 kilowatt IR laser with a 200mm telescope to focus it has a useful range of about 2000 meters, or 3000 meters as a nonlethal dazzling weapon. Lasers are generally going to be impractical as man portable anti-personal weapons in the foreseeable future because of the energy, focusing and cooling needs. Expect to see them shooting down rockets, missiles, mortars and artillery first.

A rifle's theoretical limit is going to be set by the distance to the horizon. Shooting down into plains from a mountain, this could be 20 kilometers. The problem of course is that with a velocity of 2000 meters per second, or almost twice as fast as the current fastest production bullet, and ignoring velocity loss over time, that would take ten seconds to reach the target. A man simply walking would have moved 14 meters between the gun being fired and impact so if he wasn't moving in an utterly predictable way or stationary, the weapon simply could not hit.

At extreme distances you'd be better served with a guided projectile, able to track and maneuver to match the motion of a target. While you could fire that out of a rifle, at that point it's basically a small missile.
>>
>>34457406
>LoS could extend 20 miles.
I mean...it can.
>>
>>34459174
Came here to say this.

The .50 was NOT ever designed to be a sniper round. It is not accurate like a 338 or 300 WM. Those rounds, the 338 in particular, were very design specific when being made.

I would put an AWSM 338 against a Tac 50, any day of the week.
>>
>>34457437
Add small drones with mirrors
>>
>>34457388
It already exists.
It's called 22mm.
A laser weapon would work at anything less than 10 miles or the curvature of the earth would fuck you, and laser weapons aren't advanced enough to kill a man with one burst or be foot-mobile.
We stick to lead for a reason.
>>
>>34457437
...what? God, being on a board full of americans can be tiring.

Do you know how light works? The curvature of the Earth would be completely irrelevant if you can see your target and fire a laser at it...
>>
>>34457510
Yes it fucking is. Not OP, but you're retarded, AND you're a trip. Heavier bullets have a greater ballistic coefficient
>>
>.50cal

You're already gimping the rifle here, so yes, a rifle more accurate than the Tac50 can be made and already has.
>>
>>34457388
>understand its feasible to produce a very powerful laser which would be 100% accurate from any distance
But the beam loses coherency very quickly. And the longer you fire the laser, the less accurate it gets (since the optical properties of the lasing medium, the lenses and whatnot will change with temperature).

The best you'll ever get on the surface of the earth is some kind of railgun or light gas gun.
>>
>>34457388
why do you always use the same picture when you make these shitty bait threads
>>
File: soprifle.jpg (121KB, 682x1023px) Image search: [Google]
soprifle.jpg
121KB, 682x1023px
>>34457388
Already exists.
>>
File: 16b4c60a4eb0_sf_6.jpg (98KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
16b4c60a4eb0_sf_6.jpg
98KB, 1024x576px
>>34457388
>Would it be possible to produce a sniper rifle more accurate than a tac 50?
Already exist
>>
>>34462531
Put that aussie guy and his wife from the channel "Mark and Sam after work" on youtube behind that gun with reloading components.

He normally doubles what most consider effective range on anything from 22LR to 375 CheyTac.

Guy makes hits at 700 yards with his 22LR so behind the 14.9 SOP he could probably hit shit five miles away.
>>
File: GUNLETS.jpg (152KB, 682x1023px) Image search: [Google]
GUNLETS.jpg
152KB, 682x1023px
>>34462531
>>
>>34457388
AP physics 1 maybe
>>
File: 1453687482631.jpg (120KB, 1143x760px) Image search: [Google]
1453687482631.jpg
120KB, 1143x760px
>>34457388
Yes you can, but it would be impractical and useless for military aplication. I'm thinking benchrest rail gun in some 20mm caliber, lathe turned bronze bullets, dedicated balistic computer, some sort of weather satelite connection or sensor network for asessing conditions along the entire path of the bullet, etc. But that would be pretty much a pissing contest. An impressive pissing contest, but still...
>>
>>34464060
is that how you pick dildos

only a 6'1 will satisfy you lol
>>
>>34457388
>20 miles
It's artillery at that point, you'd be out of DLOS before that.
>>
>>34457388
Caliber would need to be larger, something like 14.9 sop or just full blown 20mm.
Round would have to be made out of tungsten or depleted uranium for highest possible weight/density.
Jacket would need to be a steel jacket, probably could make it a harder steel but barrel wear would be great.
Barrel itself would need to have exceptional stability and would need to be very thick and heavy. Also make the caliber for the barrel as small as possible for the tightest fit with Very thick rifling.
Consistency in everything would be key as well. Very large thick 10 lug bolt. Tight chamber.

Don't see why you would want to though.

As for laser that's dumb. You won't be able to get a man portable laser that could kill somebody two miles away. Atmospheric distortion is also a problem.

A better solution would be a small guided 35mm missile that's first propelled by a powder charge.
Also if you could get say 1 Moa at 1000 meters or .1 Moa at 100, what's the point? Are they even optics that can reach out to 10 kilometers? What about bullet time travel? Can you also predict exactly where the person will be 12 seconds from now or even more?q

A small guided missile first propelled by a powder charge is a better system to get long distance kills on high value targets.
>>
>>34457406
He said a laser weapon like that was feasible, not that there currently was one.
>>
>>34459635
Sure. The horizon is 244 miles away at 40k feet.
>>
.416 Barrett exists, by the way. Check out its ballistics sometime - it blows .50 out of the water in almost every way.
>>
>>34459592
A gyro jet rifle? Maybe with minor in flight trajectory tweaking an option.
>>
>>34464505
>>34464485
>>34459592

Even with a very fast projectile time on target becomes a unsolvable problem for an unguided projectile at extreme ranges. It takes about five and a half seconds for a .50 BMG round to travel 2 miles.
>>
>>34464610
Some kind of sustainer motor to keep up velocity. Could go with a guided gyrojet or fin stabilized ramjet projectile.
>>
File: 600px-Ghost_in_the_Shell_5.jpg (31KB, 600x324px) Image search: [Google]
600px-Ghost_in_the_Shell_5.jpg
31KB, 600x324px
>>34457388
sattliate linkage maybe, sabot based 20 mm cartridge or 50 caliber with adjusting fin system, smart helmet (does all the linking and feeding) and conforming pressure pad system linked to body moment to adjust. rifle have to be fluted, free floated barrel, electronic firing system utilizing a electronic casless system, copper in lay stock maybe or fiberglass system. Depends really a computer assisted scope or firing control system interlinked ot all mentioned previously.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.