[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Castles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: motte_and_bailey_castle_wide.jpg (102KB, 1200x349px) Image search: [Google]
motte_and_bailey_castle_wide.jpg
102KB, 1200x349px
In a post apocalyptic world without state militaries to support artillery, would castles be functional as a defensive fortification? Even something as simple as a motte and bailey?
>>
>>34454212
No, explosives are easier to make than castles, if enough folk can get their shit together to build a castle than more than enough can get their shit together to make a ton of bombs
>>
File: abomb5.jpg (44KB, 620x264px) Image search: [Google]
abomb5.jpg
44KB, 620x264px
>>34454212
improvised mortars would still exist. explosives would have to cease to exist for fixed defenses to make a resurgence.
>>
>>34454246
But the materials they are working with, even in those pictures, are highly manufactured and would require factories to maintain a supply would they not?
>>
>>34454230
Do you know how difficult it is to manufacture nitric acid on an industrial scale? Once all the modern explosives are gone, the only explosives you'll see are simple ones like black powder, and anyone that retains the knowledge of modern explosives will only be able to manufacture it in such small quantities that it would hardly be something used in battle. Black powder and castles existed side by side for centuries, so if society regresses back to feudalism, castles will be very valuable.
>>
>>34454212
You'd definitely have more permanent fortifications. Even in modern war, you see that once both sides have nullified each other's air power and armor, the value of semi-permanent defensive structures and "digging in" becomes more important. It stands to reason that, once the armor is done for and the availability of modern artillery is as well, that more permanent fortifications would become a favorable way of doing things. You also have to remember though the sheer number of people that would be dead within the 20-30 years. You're talking, in much of Western Europe and the coasts of the US for example, literally 80-90%+ of the population dying off, even the rural areas of the US and the Eastern Europe. Without fossil fuels and modern manufacturing, the population of the developed (and now developing world) would not be able to support itself due to the inability to factory/commercial farm and animal husbandry. Even the most rural of areas would see huge die offs and mass starvation. It would take at least a century for population numbers to level off and slowly stabilize.
>>
>>34454324
Even with artillery, bombers, and armor, fortresses have been used successfully before. There were several cases in France during WWII when the Germans holed up in old fortresses. The walls were so thick that artillery and bombers couldn't penetrate. Eventually we knocked down the gates with a tank destroyer lobbing shells as fast as it could go, plus artillery and mortars providing covering fire.
>>
>>34454324
I'd imagine the more rural areas would fare better than you're imagining. I'd give the highly urbanized areas a 90% or greater death rate, and the rural areas about a 50% death rate. And I'd imagine some small communities would organize enough to start figuring out a way to get everyone farming within a year. It'd would be hard to say how small a community would need to be in order for them to organize rather than fall into chaos.
>>
>>34454324
The amish have shown that they can survive without these modern luxuries, while urban areas would suffer, i believe that rural communities that export agricultural goods would survive quite well.
>>
>>34454293
Only we have smokeless powder these days
>>
In your scenario, are cannons still a possibility ?
>>
>>34454475
very primitive ones yes
>>
>>34454265

There is a massive difference between > state militaries to support artillery

And not having the industrial/manufacturing base to nigger rig some mortars.
>>
>>34454598
states protect factories, electricity and basic goods, any high level manufacturing should be falling apart with the states
>>
>>34454360
You're not wrong but we're talking about something in an age where they'd be able to build these massive structures from stone and cast concrete, not just fall back to old ones.
>>34454375
>>34454390
No doubt rural areas would fair better but I think that what a lot of people consider "rural" are just small towns and cities. For example a lot of rural towns and cities with populations between in the thousands would be hit pretty hard, not as hard as the big cities but definitely harder than the small farming communities that barely number in the hundreds. You're also forgetting about the nature of modern day agriculture and animal husbandry. Suddenly you no longer can buy feed and all the medications that keep animals alive and even worse, now you no longer have all the herbicides, pesticides, and (most importantly) fertilizer to keep the agriculture going. Suddenly your crops yields, if you have any, drop 40-60% at best, at worse even worse. This whole idea that the rural agrarian communities can just become the Amish/Mennonites is fanciful, they WILL fair FAR better than the Urban and suburban parasites but they sure as shit won't go from commercial/factory farmers to what their great grandfathers before them were. Again, it would take at least a century for everything to get "sorted" out and for people to rediscover the old ways. Don't even get me started on the ethnic conflict after all of this. The great brown masses, if you will, won't just stay in the cities and starve to death. It will be planet of the apes type shit once they're done scavenging over the middle and upper class whites and asians.
>>
File: 20150719_141857.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150719_141857.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Probably.
>>
>>34454679
A fair reminder with those is that they're not permanent fortifications. Castles were permanent. Yes they could stand for a few generations but not only was the protection that pioneer forts provided against mostly small arms but it wasn't expected to really be inter-generational.
>>
>>34454643
Unless you are farming organically, your seedstock will generally be what is termed a F1/F2 hybrid.
These are modified for higher yields per acre, but the resulting seeds are usually infertile and thus useless as a source of seed for the following years' crops.
>>
>>34456095
That's another yuge factor.
>>
>>34454212
I don't know about you fags but as soon as the world ends I'm going arty shopping?
>>
What a fucking retarded.thread
>>
File: IMG_4432.jpg (75KB, 533x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4432.jpg
75KB, 533x399px
We need to start building castles in the US. If for no other reason than they just look cool
>>
File: IMG_3596.jpg (64KB, 550x328px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3596.jpg
64KB, 550x328px
I have pic related and Portchester castle right near me.

Holding up in pic related would be fantastic. Very deep underground tunnels and rooms, deep fucking ditch and a fantastic vantage point. I wish I could buy it and live there.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.