[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys know of any good books on military strategy? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: 155284204.jpg (3MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
155284204.jpg
3MB, 3872x2592px
Do you guys know of any good books on military strategy?
How does one go about becoming knowledgeable about that sort of thing.
Please spare me the memes.
>>
On war by Clausewitz
Art of war by Sun Tzu
Book of five circles by Musashi Miyamoto
>>
Like, grand strategy, or platoon, company, squad type tactics?
>>
>>34451601
Depends on what sort of strats you want to know
>>
File: ranger-handbook-1-638.jpg (59KB, 638x806px) Image search: [Google]
ranger-handbook-1-638.jpg
59KB, 638x806px
>>34451601
Pic related for literal, Art of War for philosophical.
>>
>>34451679
Not OP here. I've read some of the classics, like Art of war, Ceasar's campaigns...Also modern study about ancient logistics and organization from Yann Lebohec for example. I would like something more down to Earth, as you suggest. What are some books for platoon/company level? Better if they are up to date, but I can always learn more about Tercios, cohorts or musket lines.
>>
>>34451679
>>34451696
I didn't even know grand strategy and all those others were even things, i just thought military strategy was just one subject.
I guess i'm interested in all of them.
>>
>>34451601
actual army officer here,
what exactly do you want to know?
field manuals are a good start, joint publications for strategy, everything else is explained by the titel.
>>
>>34451782
Start off here >>34451667
These are pretty large scale and very generalized things
Julius Caesar is a good read all around
Smaller scale stuff is down to field manuals and Rommels "Attacks"
>>
>>34451667
Book of five circles has nothing to do with military strategy.
it's all about swordsmanship, soldiership or something spiritual.

but yeah, Clausewitz and Sun Tzu are two great figure in the field of military strategy representing west and east respectively
>>
>>34451795
>>34451834
>>34451838
thanks i'll check those out.
>>
>>34451679
Not OP but I need a book about squad level stuff
>>
>>34451902
See
>>34451701
>>
Enders Game is on the Commandant's reading list for a reason. As with anything the book is way better than the movie and not a comparison.
>>
>>34451893
if you want to understand the subject, either go from small to big or the other way round.
start with the topic more relevant to you.
the subject is huge and there often are very few absolut truths.
Im a professional and I dont know what Im doing most of the time.
Id recommend either starting with the tactical use of firearms.
If youre German: Feuerkampf und Taktik 5.Auflage
Otherwise read Kyle Lamb
If you wanna start with Strategy, start with the us Joint publications
the us scientifice magazines on the Topic are also pretty ok.
(Joint force quarterly, army sustainment Magazine,....)
Also a great read is, understanding modern warfare.
The Problem is, you asked for "Military strategy" its a completely different game, if youre fighting high or low intensity, on a strategic, operational or tactical Level, if youre looking at the Topic from a practical Military perspective or a scientific one.
>>
>>34452044
>a US army officer may have written this
>>
>>34452220
german army actually
>>
>>34452267
>Im a professional and I dont know what Im doing most of the time.
i never want to be on the european continent after hearing THIS
>>
>>34452273
Dont get me wrong I'm organized and industries.
But doing as you were thaught and read in a field manual is not understanding what you are doing. Ive started spending private time on the topic about 4 years ago and I consider myself to be beyond mount stupid at the moment regarding my knowledge and understanding.
>>
>>34451902
The Last 100 Yards, an NCO's contribution to warfare by H.J. Poole.
>>
>>34451601
read field manuals from whatever nation or era you are interested in.
>>
>>34452316
"Common sense and understanding is much more valuable than all the words in a field manual"
-Col. Armor R Sims, USMC

There is a big difference in just reading doctrine and knowing how to actually apply it. The enemy (enemies of NATO) read our manuals too. Doctrine is more of guidelines than specific 'how too'. I get what you're saying.
>>
>>34452316
how high up are you? are you just like a lieutenant?
>>
>>34452366
I'm going to be a lieutenant at the end of the year.
>>
>>34452376
You guys plan on doing something about those rapefugees or what? What's the deal with that anyway? Is all the stuff we're seeing just propaganda?
>>
>>34452604
Dont worry, as I told you organized and industrious and remember back in the day, they didnt have barcodes or databanks. ;-) Its actually harmless if compared with for example real ghettos like south miami. Were just not used to this kind of problems and in addition I suspect theres a political motive behind the spreading of the incidents we had. One can move freely at night in almost all german citys, only in Frankfurt, Berlin and Hamburg Id avoid a few areas. Most refugees are beeing sent back were they came from in the first place and austria is currently closing the passes through the alps. So regarding the rapefugee crisis youve seen in the news, this blew over. Regarding the whole problem of europe as a whole not beeing clever at imigration and ghettos existing in france and britain, well see. But yet again, a lot of countries survived a lot of racial riots. Same thing as with war actually, I cant judge a lot political development, Im not that much into that topic. The rapefugee thing as percieved in the us is exagerated. I dont have the knowledge or understanding to judge beyond that statement.
>>
File: 1484923487863.jpg (101KB, 1267x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484923487863.jpg
101KB, 1267x960px
>grand strategy
It's weird that this term is becoming increasingly used, yet I can't find any actual difference between the classical definition of Strategy and "Grand" Strategy. Is it only because of Paradox games ?
>>
>>34452777

Kraut here, can confirm. The whole idea of "rapefugee" is a gross exaggeration. Especially the Köln/Cologne incident kind of thing, the reports I checked made claims without proof and anyone who knows how Cologne is when some festival (new years, carnival, etc.) takes place knows that worse shit frequently happens. So taking this as a) an exception and b) blaming it on "rapefugees" is a political lie.

Of course you have some antisocial and criminal migrants, even places where there's more of them. But besides some already really ghetto cities (especially in NRW, Bundesland with the highest crime rates ever) there is no significant migrant presence that one has to worry about. The foreign media of course loves to take German/European/Western stereotypes and contrast them with migrant/Muslim crime. I'd not buy into that shit, it's a cheap shot.
>>
>>34453111
I always imagined "Grand Strategy" is the over all command of entire armies before ww1 when we slimmed everything down to have a lot more lower echelon initiative
Like how Napoleon technically commanded literally the entire military forces of France and its allies I would consider Grand strategy, although I see very little practical application since that boiled down to "Send General X to province Y and hope he wins"
>>
>>34453168
Wait wait wait
You mean to tell me Europeans can be criminals too?!
>>
>>34453226
So "Grand Strategy" is just Strategy, just like I thought.
>>
>>34453270
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_strategy
>>
>>34453242

If US folks were interested in combating migrant crime in Germany, they'd pay attention to all the Bulgarians, Romanians and other Gypsy grade people coming here to steal. Even if you kick them out they still return. Say what you want, but most Middle Eastern migrants actually go for jobs... and if it is selling dope in the park. It's Eastern Europeans who steal, break into homes, etc.
>>
>>34453292
>Furthermore, while the horizons of strategy is bounded by the war, grand strategy looks beyond the war to the subsequent peace. It should not only combine the various instruments, but so regulate their use as to avoid damage to the future state of peace – for its security and prosperity.
O.K, now I see it clearer, thank you. So that's a different scope than military strategy; it seems like what a President would seek to do.
>>
>>34452376
>OFähnr thinks he knows strategy or is an officer yet
Actual officer from Air Force Command here, I work with Colonels and Generals all day. Tbh LtCols don't even know their shit most of the time, and all the juicy details are 2classified4u.
>>
>>34453451
>Air Force
>strategy
>is it an enemy?
>if yes bomb
>if no bomb anyways
>did bomb kill?
>if yes drop smaller bombs so army has clear landing zones
>if no drop bigger bomb until kebab is vapor
>dont know where to bomb?
>follow army around they tell you where you need bomb
>>
>>34453484
:^)
Yes, and enemy anti air doesn't exist.
For realsies, if you have the clearance what you are looking for are called NATO General Response Plan (GRP).
>>
>>34453508
Isnt hat what the missiles you guys also have control of are for?
>>
>>34453529
Yes. HARMs, high speed anti radar missiles, in conjunction with jamming. But you said bombs.
>>
>>34453568
Well all you need for brown people is bombs since their AA is usually from ww2
>>
>>34453111
Strategy = war.
Grand strategy - total war.

Grand strategy would include manufacturing and rationing resources, for example.
>>
>>34451732
>>34451782
>>34451902

Sorry for the hiatus, I replied to that while taking a shit. So I'm partial as an armor officer to recommend fm 17-98 for platoon and section sized strategy. It's the scout platoon fm.
Obviously fm7-8 for infantry platoon and squad.
I feel like the scout fm though is more dynamic, as scouts are expected to operate down to two man teams, whereas infantry only negotiate obstacles in fire team or larger.

Fm17-15/fm3-20.15 are tank platoon. Teaches cool technical stuff, adds larger scale and depth, more precision/analytical based learning because its less pieces to move, with greater capability.

Fm3-21.12, infantry company, for whoever wants that.

For recent grand strategy I recommend reading krauthammer's books and articles for a good starting perspective and branching out to gaddis for his containment strategies. In no time at all you'll be having nerdy philosophical debates at the bar to impress other nerds.

All this said, fms are shit. Use them to give a foundation and basic guidelines but rely foremost on the experience of your ncos.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.