[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruger lc9s. Pros and cons please.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 11

File: ruger.jpg (117KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
ruger.jpg
117KB, 1155x1155px
Ruger lc9s. Pros and cons please.
>>
>>34449996
>pros
Easily concealable
Shoots 9milimemer which has more punch than .380
>Cons
Single stack
Short sight radius
May not have the best trigger

For what is is designed for i think it would work just fine
>>
Small
Cheap
Doesn't jam
Thin and concealable

Painful
Not terribly accurate
Shit trigger

Might as well get a Shield while they're still $200.
>>
The only negative I've heard about these is that it's easy to inadvertently engage the slide stop while shooting, meaning that you can accidentally lock the slide back by the action of your thumb making contact with the recoiling gun. I have done this on my Ruger LCP II, so I have a feeling it's just a Ruger design element that you have to get used to, probably the same sort of issue. Not a big deal if you train yourself to keep your thumbs off the frame, though, which you may already be doing if you shoot Sigs.

Sorry, can't give direct experience on them, though. They seem like well made guns, just a little too big for what I like to conceal (P938 size).
>>
>>34450013

u = idiot

lc9s has great striker trigger

only con is lite weight = 19z = pow recoil
>>
Pros = small?

Cons = Not a Glock 43
>>
File: inna box.png (683KB, 576x734px) Image search: [Google]
inna box.png
683KB, 576x734px
>>34449996
I bought one, so, like, all these faggots posting "HURR WAT U RED ONNA INTARWEBS..." type shit are now officially faggots. Here's the real deal on this handgun:

TRIGGER:
Smart move on the LC9s. The striker-fired trigger is WAY better than the first LC9 that was hammer fired. Here's what the trigger is like: A smooth takeup of about 3/4", then a surprise break. There's just zero feedback on when the trigger will break, no increase in pressure, no "wall", nothing. The only way you know is "feeling" about how far your finger has traveled. It's a lot like a very, very nice DA revolver trigger, and you "stage" your shots the same way-- concentrating on the front sight and a smooth, centered, constant squeeze through the trigger pull until the break... basically, what you should be doing anyway. The reset is audible, but not tactile in any way, and occurs nearly at the full return of the trigger. Again, it's very much like a DA revolver, but a very nice one. Haven't put a trigger pull gauge on it, but it seems to be between 5-6 lbs.

CONTROLS:
I bought the LC9s Pro, which just means no external safety. This is a personal opinion thing, if you want the straight LC9s, go for it. The mag release is well-located. An affirmative rotation of your thumb south, and the tactile change is postitive and easy to find. Mags drop free when empty. The slide release is VERY very stiff and so small that there is very little purchase. I am unable to operate it with my thumb while in the shooting position. Reloads are fastest and easiest by rotating your left hand up and over the slide after inserting the mag, pulling the slide slightly backward and releasing.

SHOOTABILITY:
Absolute dream for a 9x19mm in this small a package. It's not at all snappy or sharp. You can shoot this thing all day, and have fun doing it. Hand-feel is very good for a subcompact, and the finger extension on the mag really helps.

(continued next post)
>>
File: LCP-LC9_comparison-copy.jpg (113KB, 601x395px) Image search: [Google]
LCP-LC9_comparison-copy.jpg
113KB, 601x395px
>>34452575
(contued from >>34452575)

ACCURACY:
Way, way more accurate than you will ever need from a subcompact. Putting all shots in the X and 10 ring of a B-3 is just stupid simple at 15 yards, and rolling out to 25 yards only opens up the group to the 9 ring. The 3-dot sights are large enough to allow accurate shooting. Mine shot to point of aim right out of the box.

RELIABILITY:
Flawless. Runs anything. Runs mixed mags. Not one failure of any kind, not even a hiccup. I'm about 600 rounds in-- premium JHP through garbage steelcase FMJ. Flawless.

CONCEALABILITY:
The whole thing is around a 1/2" inch longer and taller than the nearly microscopic LCP. You can fit the LC9 in your front pants pocket and forget it's there. I use the finger extension on my mag baseplate, which hurts concealability some, but honestly I haven't even noticed. Maybe if I were wearing a skintight bodystocking or something, and was worried about printing... but no, seriously, this thing can serve pocket duty all day long. For safety and ease of draw, I'm going to buy an IWB holster, and fortunately options abound as this is a very popular handgun.

TAKEDOWN:
Stupid simple. Remove mag, check empty, aim in safe direction and pull the trigger. Then, a little "door" blocking the takedown pin is clicked down, and the pin can be removed with a standard punch, or wood sewer, chopstick, nail... anything, really. Slide comes off the front, spring assembly levers out, barrel comes out, done. It's just every polymer striker-fired handgun takedown you've ever done, ever.

EXTRAS:
Ruger includes a little chamber flag, which is nice, and a cable gun lock, a Ruger logo sticker, manuals, warranty information, all the usual bullshit. It only ships with one mag, but they throw in a finger extension baseplate. Would be nice to have another mag with it, but they're only $30 online if I decide I want one.

That's all I can think of now. Begin the Anon shitposting! I'll answer questions if you have any.
>>
>>34452137
>great striker trigger
Not the two examples I dry fired at the store.

Your standards are very different to mine!
>>
>>34449996
Like others have stated the pros are it's cheap, concealable, 9mm, and comes with a soft holster (new). Cons would be mag size and the sights. Trigger, grips, and sights are subjective. I don't like Glock's box and dot sights for example. I can still shoot fine with them but it's personal preference.

>>34450013
Shield is pretty good especially with the rebate. Shoots great too. Kind of big though in comparison.
>>
File: LC9sTrigger.jpg (11KB, 300x212px) Image search: [Google]
LC9sTrigger.jpg
11KB, 300x212px
>>34453614
I own a LC9s. And a few other striker fired handguns besides. And I've fired many, many others.

Is the LC9s the best trigger ever? Nope!
Is it pretty darn good for a single stack compact 9mm, just as I described, and WAY better than the original LC9? Yep!

Read my paragraph above about the LC9 trigger and tell me you disagree, and I'll tell you that my ownership and regular use trumps your 5 minute gun store fingerfuck.
>>
>>34452137
This

I was shocked when they said shit trigger. The trigger is sweet.
>>
>>34453685
The Shield is less expensive, yes, but I found it to be a little clunky and awkward with a high bore axis and an overall very "cheap" feel. The Sigma-level trigger was an especially big turnoff.

IDK, lots of people like it, so it's probably pretty good. Just not for me.
>>
>>34453736
>I was shocked when they said shit trigger.
The people that say this probably don't understand the difference between the original LC9 (hammer fired), and the LC9s (striker fired, hence the 's').

They're probably picking up an LC9, pulling the trigger and then saying "THIS A SHIT!", and they're right. It is a shit. But then when someone says "LC9s trigger a good!" (which is a totally different trigger, and is, yes, pretty good), they don't understand the difference and say shit like Burt said.
>>
>>34452157
the glock 43 is a good gun, but is decently bigger than the lc9 pro.
im a huge glock fan, but i like ruger single stacks, they are smaller and thats the purpose of single stack for me. i have my ruger lcp2 for a pocket gun, the lc9 for summer appendix carry, glock 26 and 17 for winter, and a glock 40 for a bear/woods/meme gun. obviously i like glocks, and want my carry guns to be set up without safeties and to have either striker fire or single action triggers.
>>
File: WP_20150820_00_18_45_Pro.jpg (425KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150820_00_18_45_Pro.jpg
425KB, 1920x1080px
>>34453713
I have one too, just don't dry fire it without a snap caps, the firing pins break easily. I've had two break on me, thinking the first was a fluke.
>>
>>34453746
I didn't think the shield felt cheap. Felt like pretty much all S&W guns. Gun felt fine in the hand when I was shooting it. I also have a baby glock 26. No favorites there. Like them both. Shoot well enough with both too. Usually folks I run into at the range that have issues with certain guns tend to be people who are left eye dominant but a righty or a lefty and right eye dominant or something weird like that. They have to adapt to what most people are in some way.
>>
>>34453794
Looks to me like you have a regular LC9. Do you know the difference between the LC9 and the LC9s? Are you doing something autistic when you dry fire?

I've dry-fired my LC9s hundreds of times with no issue at all.
>>
>>34453819
Meh, yeah, hey.
Total personal opinions. They're both really good guns, if everyone all liked the same thing there would only be one brand.
>>
File: WP_20150819_21_25_52_Pro.jpg (370KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150819_21_25_52_Pro.jpg
370KB, 1920x1080px
>>34453844
It's an LC9s Pro. I didn't think normal LC9 pistols had the Glock still safety trigger. Can't say anything about your experience, just that mine broke twice. First time I had to send in the whole pistol, second time they just sent me the striker.

I don't have any good pictures because it's an ugly guy, but still better looking than a shield.
>>
>>34453794
ok so are you going to tell us what the fuck that THING IS
>>
>>34453893
Basically it looks and feels like a toy but you shouldn't treat it like one (it's my only plastic pistol). The plastic is fiberglass reinforced and very tough as you would expect, except in the front part covering the main spring where it's very thin and slightly flexible to decrease weight. Overall it's a nice and very concealable piece, but the issues I've had with it make me slightly distrustful of it.
>>
>>34453746
My shield shares carry duty with my glock 26. I couldn't say one is better than the other. As far as feeling cheap thats pretty subjective.
>>
File: RugerLC9-KahrPM9comparison-1.jpg (150KB, 644x725px) Image search: [Google]
RugerLC9-KahrPM9comparison-1.jpg
150KB, 644x725px
>>34449996
>Pros
It's reasonably small for a pocket 9mm.

>cons
It's not a Kahr.
>>
>>34453938
not your lcp friend, the fucking ork gun in the top left
>>
>>34452157
Glock 43 is literally useless. It's too big to be a pocket gun and unnecessarly small for belt carry.
>>
File: WP_20150820_00_18_09_Pro.jpg (485KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150820_00_18_09_Pro.jpg
485KB, 1920x1080px
>>34453978
>>34453978
Movie props from why my brother and I made home movies. The plot was always the same: "violence ensues". They're made from airsoft guns, cap guns, quiet guns, wood, PVC, and whatever else we had lying around. He works as an editor in NYC now.
>>
>>34453794
>airshit painted black
>>
>>34453794
>>34453844
>>34453884

So these things have weak firing pins? My P380 is like that and it disgusts me. They don't have "titanium" firing pins like the LCP?
>>
>>34454094
Yeah, mostly. The SxS and "sniper rifle" on the top are from scratch, but we were lazy and there's not really any need to reinvent the wheel when you have reasonably accurate plastic models of guns in merely the wrong color. My brother tried to pain the M14 stock to look like wood but it came out terribly so he spray painted over it. It's not like either of us went on to be prop makers
>>
>>34453970
I have a PM9. I liked it but then I bought a P380 and now I can't trust Kahr. I like how my LCP is built and would trust an LC9 more than my PM9 even though It's been good to me. Also you can convert them to .380 which is cool.
>>
File: pocket rockets.jpg (1MB, 2263x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pocket rockets.jpg
1MB, 2263x1600px
>>34453713
>>34453736
I guess if you are a DAO fan the LC9s trigger is tolerable but it feels like crap to me. I am admittedly a trigger snob.

It's not like a true DAO because there is take-up before the striker begins charging.

It's not any type of single action because there is no wall, just a quarter inch of mush.

Instead of 9/10 takeup and 1/10 of creep like a Glock, it's like 6/10 takeup and 4/10 of creep. In fact, the LC9s feels like a worse version of my Walther PPS's trigger, which is itself appalling.

idk maybe I tried two lemons, but I just re-watched Hickok's video of the gun and it LOOKS the same as what I felt. Bit of take up, no wall just an increase in pressure, then miles of creep ("""""double action""""") and a surprise break wherever it happens to occur.
https://youtu.be/Opx_IFm0iQU?t=6m18s

I do NOT want to be surprised by a gun going off when I'm aiming it at a person. I want bullets to go where I'm aiming, when I'm aiming there. The way that happens is with trigger control, which is a whisper of a speculation with the LC9s. Same reason I don't advocate carrying a hammerless revolver.

Yes, you can practice with one gun until you are proficient with such a trigger. Or you could get something like a Shield (2.0s are due soon) with a quite decent striker trigger and have your trigger pull and break be more like an actual good trigger you might find on your other guns.

I don't mean for this to come off haughty or condescending, sorry. I'm just a trigger snob and when compared to a Shield for example, the LC9s trigger is not what I would call "great" or even "good." I'd call it "shit." I think it's very disingenuous of you to call the LC9s trigger "a lot like a very, very nice DA revolver trigger." That's just ridiculous. Sorry. Nothing is as smooth as a well made DA revolver trigger, most especially not a plastic striker fired $250 pocket pistol. Then you mentioned high bore axis...

Damn it, this got long. Sorry everyone.
>>
Cons: not a Springfield xdm 9mm (19+1)
>>
>>34449996
great CCW's trust me... I cant tell you how I know this but they are. Triggers are a little shitty but with practice they can be very accurate at the distances you'll use it at. very reliable and easy to maintain. they are single stack with a fairly short sight radius. they can (more than likely be used at contact distance due to the tapered slide. (I tested this and it didn't appear to go out of battery when I shoved it into various human proxies) all in all Id say its a 8/10 CCW pace as long as you keep its limitations in mind. Ill carry mine again in a few months. I will not reply to questions not directly involving the quality of weapon
>>
File: 20170702_142953-1.jpg (573KB, 2833x1765px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_142953-1.jpg
573KB, 2833x1765px
OK, I carry one everyday. These are my observations
>the good
Smol
Light
In my iwb I can sit down comforably
Reliable. Eats fmj, hollow points, steel, hornady filled tips, light grain, heavy grain, like a chaml
Cheap
Rear grip thumb area is comfy and feels secure

>the bad
Bigger hands might not like it on the grip where the fingers are, mine aren't monster hands but not medium, it's fine
Sights kinda suck, simple 3 white dots, small radius
Trigger is long pull long reset, some say thats fine for your CC, but I still did a trigger job on mine, after its much better

>the ugly
Been carrying it since Dec/January finish is wearing off, I dig it, but some might not. I'm going to say that my hoster is more the problem though, its a cheap $35 leather and kydex one off ebay
$30-45 mags, I personally won't trust pro mags for carry
>>
File: 3a7.jpg (262KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
3a7.jpg
262KB, 800x800px
>>34454285
>wall of text
>" the LC9s feels like a worse version of my Walther PPS's trigger,"
>bought a Ruger R51
>only fingerfucked the LC9s in a store
>"Hickock vid LOOKS the same as what I felt"
>>
>>34456761
wtf you posted two full walls of text full of artisnal meme shit like bore axis and fast reloads and you give him shit for his opinions? at least he isnt meming
you truly are a worthless trip fuck
>>
>>34454285
I don't have a problem staging the trigger on mine. Granted I put a few hours of dry fire practice and few hundred rounds into it but still, so I know it is doable
>>
>>34456761
Opinions are like assholes right?
>>
>pros
It's a gun
>cons
It's not the best gun
>>
>>34455540
>I personally won't trust pro mags for carry
Why? I have some promag extended mags for when I cycle my older carry ammo and whatever fmj I have for giggles through my pocket 380's and 9mm's.
>>
>>34459127
I've had feeding issues with them in the past for some other guns and the one I tried with it has a feeding issue every once and a while.
>>
>>34453970
I'd totally buy a kahr but
>plastic rails
>>
After a terrible fiasco with a brand new LCP, I won't buy Ruger anymore. They need to stick to revolvers; they seem good at those. I hope the LC9 is better, but I won't be buying one.

LCP = horrible design flaws that Ruger refused to fix for purchasers, but instead marketed a new "updated" model after enough people complained.

Basically, Ruger customer service sucks, and at least one model of their line (LCP) sucks VERY badly. Since I got stuck with a barely usable piece of shit of a pistol and no support for a widely known issue, I chose to take my business elsewhere. Plenty of folks make wondernines, and whatever their design or QC issues may be, I KNOW Ruger lets poor design and QC slide right through to sale, so they can't be worse. In fact, maybe another manufacturer will fix a known error; Ruger definitely won't, so I see no reason to spend another dime in the Ruger camp.
>>
>>34461482
What exactly are these design flaws and known issues? I've had a few LCPs and all have been fine. I broke the frame of one being a retard and they fixed it quickly for free, paying both ways. My brother had a pin walk of his of LCP Custom and they treated him the same way. Ruger's customer service is pretty widely regarded as being some of the best around.
>>
>>34461482
You sound like the generic bitter old fudd ranting about the "POS" he just bought, being vague as possible and not actually saying anything other than some company will lose the privilege of doing business with you.

Why don't you say what was actually wrong with your gun and how Ruger reacted?
>>
>>34461575
>>34461530

Design issue: bad trigger. Heavy, crunchy, long. Look it up; nearly every review of an LCP includes this. Ruger denied it was a design flaw, and said the trigger was designed to be heavy on purpose to mimic a revolver (ignored the fact that many also reported that it felt "broken" inside and like you had to "drag the trigger over metal shavings inside." ) Many people, including myself, also reported a separate QC issue - jamming issues over a range of ammo, sent back to Ruger who "could not replicate the problem." Interesting, given that unless they cleaned the fuck out of it before sending it back, they never fired it once and it still jammed about every 3rd mag. Local gunsmith did some fine polishing work to the slide and feed ramp, and pointed out that the factory mags (all three) were sticking pretty oddly.
Walking pins Ruger WILL fix; just a hassle. (They don't care about the mold marks on the trigger guard and frame, misaligned ridges that never got buffed out properly. I don't care enough about it to ship the gun back again, so that's that.)

Then they quickly released the LCP Custom that had a red skeletonized trigger to set it bodly apart from their poorly reviewed LCP, but never fixed the LCP triggers that they had already sold. Then they released the LCP2 which seemed to have better QC.

My only beef was that when a manufacturer releases a model line that is clearly fraught with issues, giving customers the runaround on warranty service isn't smart.
>>
>>34449996
LC9 maybe, haven't shot one. Ruger does probably need to bury the original LCP, tho. Or recall them all and exchange them for an updated gun. LCP = Worst. Gun. Ever.

Okay, maybe not. That probably would be a Jennings/Jimenez/Cobra. And Ruger probably uses better materials by far than the old Ravens, even if the Ravens function better out of the box.
>>
>>34463084
Wow you sound incredibly entitled. Yes the first gen LCP trigger is known to feel shitty, but that does not entitle you to a free upgrade if it works. Same with cars. Just because the next gen car is faster than yours or looks better does not entitle you to a free upgrade. The older LCPs trigger works fine it just feels shittier than newer generations.

Not sure why your LCP jammed and why Ruger could not/did not solve the problem. The LCP is widely regarded as being very reliable especially compared to other guns in it's class (cough Kahr P380 cough) but sometimes a lemon gets out and Ruger should have fixed it. I feel for you there.

I <3 my LCP
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.