[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

first gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: sigp938.jpg (244KB, 1158x627px) Image search: [Google]
sigp938.jpg
244KB, 1158x627px
going from /noguns/ to /hasguns/ soon and debating my first gun
>what I've shot
semi auto .22 rifle (plinking cans)
semi auto 20 gauge shotgun (sporting clays)
over-under 20 gauge shotgun (sporting clays)
>what I want
either a shotgun, or a pistol
>shotgun
hunt almost anything should I choose to start hunting
trap/skeet/sporting clays
home defense (over penetration?)
cheap
thinking mossberg 590
>pistol
concealed carry (WA state)
plinking
home defense
thinking 9mm compact or subcompact due to my small from. I plan on finger fucking and shooting guns at a range if I can before buying

what do you guys think?
>pic related is a pretty pistol I like
>>
>2017 and not buying an AR-15
>Even worse, a WAfag not buying Aero Precision
>>
>>34449944
I want an AR as my 2nd gun
I want some experience shooting, cleaning, taking apart a gun
and then I want to build an AR
>>
>>34449923
>shotgun
Just keep in mind that home defense shotguns aren't really ideal for hunting or skeet/trap shooting, since they have shorter barrels usually without a suitable choke. You can get an over and under or break action shotgun, even a decent pump action shot gun, for pretty inexpensive, though. Potentially as low as $150 range to the $350 range.

>pistol
If you just want to jump into concealed carry, check out the Ruger LCP or LCP II. You can get a really good little gun for right around $200-250. The LCP is more of a pocket carry gun and is hard to hold onto, but the LCP II is big enough that it carries pretty nicely on the hip.

Then again, I don't know if money is a big concern for you. You might be the kind of person who buys an HK Mark 23 as his first gun and this is totally doable
>>
>>34449973
barrel length isn't a very big issue due to my house's floor plan, but good point about the chokes
something like this
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/shotguns/pump-action-shotguns|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105537780/i/104803380/mossberg-pump-shotguns/1675097.uts
and change the choke or barrel for different purposes?

I'll take a look at the LCP and LCP II
I was originally only looking at 9mm or .45 because those seem to be the big two
>>
>>34449973
oh and money, ideally $500-$600ish, but could step it up to $800 for something I really like
money for ammo and stuff would be nice to have too though
>>
>>34450053
Per gun, or do you only want to get one gun?
>>
You can literally hunt with a 9mm pistol. Guy killed a bear with 9mm wadcutters really recently.
>>
>>34450091
Citation required.
>>
>>34450061
probably one gun
that price range would include gun, licensing for CCW if necessary, ammo, holster, gun cleaning stuff, anything else I'm forgetting, and a trip to the range
>>
>>34450091
can hunt with, or should hunt with?
I doubt I'll be headshotting bears anytime soon
>>
>>34450096
You could get two if you went budget shotgun and LCP, but there's nothing wrong with just sticking to one gun. I'd suggest reading the sticky if you want a full size handgun.
>>
>>34450108
thanks I'll look at the sticky
if I got something like this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/shotguns/pump-action-shotguns|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105537780/i/104803380/mossberg-pump-shotguns/1675097.uts
could I change the barrel or choke and do skeet, home defense, and possibly hunt?
>>
>>34450120
I have no idea, bro. Why don't you check on Mossberg's website? I know they do make shotguns that you can change the barrels on.
>>
>>34450142
thanks anon
turns out they make a 500 that comes with two barrels to swap out, but it's almost twice the price
>>
File: Snapchat-1845268023.jpg (879KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1845268023.jpg
879KB, 1440x2560px
>>34449923

It sounds like you have a great idea of what you want/need to have with good priorities. Much better than the people who buy a cheap 1911 and ask how they did.

I'd go shotgun, it's more useful in general. Definitely do 12 gauge. It's cheap to shoot, the recoil is very maneagble from anything heavier than a single shot break barrel, and youll have a greater pattern than 20 gauge. A 590 is a fine gun but don't be afraid of getting a 500 or something else popular. As far as over-penetration goes, just use a shell suited to your purpose, ballistics test are well documented but remember the first 4" of gel represents ribcage penetration. #2 lead shot has pretty impressive ballistic gel tests.

I personally own an 835, a beefed up 500 that shoots 2 3/4"-3 1/2" shells, and keep it loaded with ~2 ounces of #2 in a 3 1/2" shell. It gives as much energy as a 300 win mag.

As for handguns, compacts are awful target guns but are great for carry. The Sig 938 is aesthetic as fuck but shoot a lot of rounds through one before buying. Both my friend and I would frequently hit the mag release when it recoiled before we learned you have to dramatically adjust your thumb position for that style of gun. It scared me out of buying one just in case.

>source: Somewhat like you, recently graduated college so now have the money to guns, it's my only hobby, my family has always been made up of hunters but I had to buy my own shit, and I research before I try to pass off things as facts.
>>
>>34450120

Even though having a shorter barrel shotgun is ideal for inside a home, anything under 28" is still easily manageable. Practice it.

Chokes are a necessity with any skeet/hunting shotgun. A GOOD SET can make the difference of never hitting or hitting every time at X distance. Buckshot pattern may improve or get worse tighter or looser chokes in random orders. Different brands of shot will pattern differently. Heavier shot = greater penetration assuming the same velocity, lead is generally better than steel. Lastly, chokes for steel shot are marked, only they can shoot both lead and steel however theyre more open than lead chokes so may not pattern as tight.

I'm
>>34451366
>>
I bought a .38 revolver for my first gun

but I was hanging out with shady ass people and it came up missing one night

so, then I bought a .45 and realized it was wayyyy too big for my use, so I traded it for a .380

I'm happy with my .380 but now I crave a double stack 9mm.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.