[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are magnifiers huge memes or do they work okay? Im gonna have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: rJQJuus.jpg (355KB, 1400x854px) Image search: [Google]
rJQJuus.jpg
355KB, 1400x854px
Are magnifiers huge memes or do they work okay? Im gonna have some extra pocket change soon and am tempted to try one out. Any experiences?
>>
>>34443335
I think it ultimately depends on what you want to do.
>>
Why not a ACOG/RMR Combo, or canted red dot, or a variable zoom
>>
>>34443350
im not an oper8or or an airshitter so basically for fun

>>34443351
good point
>>
>>34443370
Just get a variable 1-4 scope then. It will do the same thing and might be cheaper and lighter, especially if it's just for fun.
>>
>>34443335
If you already have a red dot and don't want to shell out for a separate optic.
>>
>>34443483
Some of these magnifiers cost more than an separate optic.
>>
>>34443412
variable scope don't have great eye relief when shooting from unconventional positions. Hence running a RDS or HWS works with a magnifier to some extent or another.
>>
I fell for the magnifier meme. They have ass-shit eye relief and poor eye boxes that make them hard to use unless you are bench shooting or otherwise not moving.
I think a 3.5x ACOG with rmr is the way to go. Im not a fan of 1-6x scopes in general.
>>
>>34443846
>the price of a rifle
>giant parallax
>no cheek rest when aiming through the RMR
>>
I currently have both a 3x mag in a side flip mount, and a PA 1-6x.

I think I prefer the magnifier for the most part. I find that I only use 1x or 6x, and when it's on 1x I'd rather just have my aim point. When I'm laying in the prone shooting at 300+ yds I prefer the 6x though.

I do think the PA reticle may just be too busy for me at 1x, but I consider it a great asset at further distances.
>>
>>34443919
If you need a poorfag optic get a poorfag optic, but don't cry when it isn't the bee's knees

Having owned a 4x acog I can say it's definitely worth the money if you want a great multipurpose optic
>>
>>34444076
I have a Trijicon MRO with OP's pic related for magnifier, not only that this isn't poor, this is also better for any CQB fighting.
Good luck aiming at your RMR sitting 1km above your barrel
>>
>>34444136
Your $294 magnifier alone weighs nearly a pound. Sorry, but it's not comparable. I know you like call of duty but the acog/rmr is a better option in every way if you can afford it.
>>
>>34444185
Never tried an ACOG, are the built in "compensating" crosshairs really accurate?
I just don't like the idea of having my main battle optic already magnified, in case a threat comes at really close range in a dark setting, and having no cheek support on the top optic.
>>
>>34444216
They're bullet drop compensating crosshairs, they work well for the calibers they're set up for. The original acog reticule for 5.56 is actually quite useful, it has a neat little rangefinding mechanism built in also based on the width of the chevron
>>
>>34444185
I think it depends on what you do. For urban I much preferred the magnifier setup over the ACOG / RMR. For big open terrain (Afghanistan) ACOG RMR was beast. Also I fucking hated the Elcan.
>>
>>34444338
for "urban" a red dot alone would suffice, there really is no need at all for a magnifier. A red dot and the human eye can easily hit targets out to 200m, and past that an ACOG is the best option, Mounting an RMR on an ACOG is an easy addition and can make your weapon far more adaptable.
>>
File: IMG_0673.jpg (618KB, 2141x1084px)
IMG_0673.jpg
618KB, 2141x1084px
>>34443335
They are great but heavy. Helps make long range hits. I use a scope with a BDC though
>>
>>34444360
You can, but a magnifier helps for threat identification. Lots more to warfare besides shooting. Again, ACOG RMR for anything past 300m is pure money. I still think the flip to side magnifiers have thier place in an urban environment however.
>>
>>34443335
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTh5C8tZn5U
>>
>>34444136
How fucking incompetent do you have to be to not be able to use an RMR on an ACOG?

Neck yourself you dumb shit.
>>
>>34444894
Where do yo you read that I can't use it? We are trying to debate on very precise details that imply to know a little about firearms and shooting, you should first learn the basic fundamentals of shooting before exposing how retarded you are. The more your cheek is in contact with your rifle the better it is. Now please fuck off back to airshit or fudd interests.
>>
>>34444136
>Good luck aiming at your RMR sitting 1km above your barrel
It's easy. It's also far less clunky and awful than having some shitty overpriced 3x dangling over the side of your rifle when it's not busy blowing up your reticle into a fuzzball and taking up your entire goddamned upper railspace.
>>
A magnifier on a QD flip mount makes sense to me. If you want just one rifle that is going to predominantly used inside of 100 yards, but you would like to be able to use it effectively out to 300 yards occasionally, then a qd flip magnifier lets you do that without rezeroing or anything.

Acog with RMR is also viable, but for rifles that are predominantly used outside of 100 yards, that might occasionally be used inside of 100.
>>
>>34445654
QD?
>>
No, a variable magnification scope or fixed magnification scope with a reflex sight on a 45 degree offset mount are better options. Also, you won't have a BDC reticle, making holdovers slow and annoying at longer ranges. To make matters worse, magnifiers typically have small eyeboxes and terrible eye relief, even when compared to budget scopes.
>>
U H 1 + D - E V O
H
+
D
-
E
V
O
>>
>>34443335
I use a magnifier on my service rifle. It works better than a variable at 1x, and worse at 3x. I guess the deciding factor is the range that you expect to be using your rifle.
They are heavy, and on an m4 with a PEQ, Aimpoint Comp M4, KAC quadrail, and an LMT stock, every little bit counts.
>>34444136
Chin welds work ok with a red dot for close shooting. Remember that such an optic is an up close tool. It is a replacement for just point shooting in CQB.
I would take a piggyback dot over a variable, though.
>>
>>34443351
because it's $1600 jesus fuck why do we let them get away with that shit
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.