[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ammunition Manufacturing Thread I got the chance to go tour

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: remington factory.jpg (27KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
remington factory.jpg
27KB, 500x309px
Ammunition Manufacturing Thread

I got the chance to go tour a nearby Remington ammunition plant recently for my job and learned a whole lot about what goes in to producing ammunition. If you've ever wondered how they make something, ask away.
Or if you have similar information, dump in here

One of the amazing things to me is that they produce 7 MILLION rounds of .22 a DAY, and its still hit and miss on availability around me sometimes.
>>
File: 8ga slug.jpg (5KB, 195x193px)
8ga slug.jpg
5KB, 195x193px
Also surprisingly, their highest profit margin product (over $1/shell) is a 3 oz, 8 gauge slug cartridge used exclusively for industrial boiler cleaning
>>
>>34443179
I'd like to know how exactly the jacketing is done, and how they monitor the consistency thereof.
Also, what QC measures are there for ammo lots?
>>
>>34443198
How does that work?
>>
File: remington jackets.jpg (772KB, 1500x1125px)
remington jackets.jpg
772KB, 1500x1125px
>>34443200
Jackets are made of "cups" that are punched out from a sheet and then formed into pic related.
Then the lead slug is cold pressed into the cup in a molded press.
Pics are all taken from the firearm blog btw, just googled. They didn't let me take any pics

QC is a combination of both visual and ballistic tests. Every round has a (very brief) visual inspection, and several from each batch are fired down a ballistic range to check for muzzle and terminal velocity and drop. If those are all good, they send the batch to packaging
>>
>>34443207
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG1RKjs7Ddo

Shit builds up on the walls of the combustion chamber and they kinda just stick a big ass mounted gun in and shoot
Seems like it wouldn't be ideal for that, but whatever I guess
>>
>>34443200
also, to answer the jacket consistency question - I'm not sure if they just rely on their suppliers or actually measure the thickness of the sheet
pic is the sheet of copper after the jackets have been punched out
>>
>>34443237
>>34443231
Thanks m8.
Did they mention anything about the specific lead alloys they use?
>>
>>34443237
Also heres a much better video of the industrial 8 gauge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i82WuHCGAk
>>
>>34443179

Did they hand out free samples?
>>
>>34443257
nothing about the particular composition of it, but it was pretty interesting how they processed it
It was brought in as 85 lb bars that were fed into a machine that cold extruded them into coils of lead (pic related)
They did a few different diameters of lead wire so you weren't trying to make .22 and .45 out of the same stuff
After that they went to several different machines that cut them into small cylinders based on grain weight for whatever round they were making
>>
>>34443275
No :(
They have an employee store there where I'm sure they get great deals, but visitors don't get in on the deal
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.