[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Concealed carry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

File: 45447-200.png (3KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
45447-200.png
3KB, 200x200px
Looking for recommendations. What's your weapon of choice?
>>
>>34430591
get a jiminez
>>
>>34430591
Philadelphia Derringer directly in the waistband.
>>
>>34430591

Carry what you're willing to carry, and can shoot accurately, and fast. Be that a .22, a .380, a 9mm, or a full size .45.
>>
File: GRIP ZONE.jpg (2MB, 2100x1517px) Image search: [Google]
GRIP ZONE.jpg
2MB, 2100x1517px
>>34430591
>XD
>>
>>34430678
This guy's not wrong.
>>34430591
I carry a shield 9 AIWB in a Bladetech Klipt with a spare mag in my pocket
>>
File: aLJcRKV.jpg (933KB, 2822x2117px) Image search: [Google]
aLJcRKV.jpg
933KB, 2822x2117px
>>34430591
>>
File: 29557.jpg (260KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
29557.jpg
260KB, 3008x2000px
Cz Rami. Carried a lot of different guns in different calibers over the years and this has the best of it all in my opinion.
>>
Any commentary on the Ruger SR9c or LC9s? I've shot an LCP, but the size of the thing made it difficult to control.
>>
>>34430591
Buy something that you'll actually carry. Having a big handgun that's fun to shoot but annoying to IWB gets old quick.

Any single stack 9 is fine.
>>
Anything by raven arms. So that why after you ventilate Tyrone you wont be out that much money while your piece rusts away in an evidence locker
>>
>>34430827
this
>>
>>34430591
If you're looking for a do it all sort of thing then id recommend a "subcompact" that allows for grip extensions.

Personally i like:

CZ Rami
G26
GP P11
S&W M&P9c
Sig p320 SC
>>
>>34430879
a single stack iwb with 8 rounds is better than a double stack with 12+ sitting at home in the closet
>>
>>34430591
Buy something you'll actually carry consistently. A single-stack 9mm or a lightweight revolver is better than a double-stack Glock left at home.

Go to a gun shop and take a look at various guns, and see what feels good in your hand. If possible, see if you can rent anything to shoot.

Caliber doesn't matter. What matters is getting something you feel comfortable carrying, and something you feel you can shoot accurately.

I carry a Ruger LCR in .38 Special because I like revolvers, I like the gun, and it suits my purposes. But what's best for me isn't going to be best for you.
>>
>>34431368
>Caliber doesn't matter
Bull. Shit.
>>
>>34431410
If we're talking differences between .38 spl, 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP in defensive handguns that are comfortable to carry and don't readily print, no it really doesn't matter that much. If we're using something with a full length barrel, then we have something to talk about.
>>
>>34431431
except he's clearly talking about any and every caliber, not a small selection like that.
>>
I've carried my XDs 9mm with 147gr HST in a crossbreed minituck for about a year and am very happy with all of it.
>>
>>34431459
Realistically, he probably isn't. If you go to a gun store and ask to handle some firearms for concealed carry, you're likely not going to be handling something chambered in 10mm, let alone anything with a barrel long enough to maximize velocity for a common handgun round. Let's not shit up a thread about listing CC handguns with caliber discussion.
>>
>>34431518
perhaps but he shouldnt have been so vague still. also, you can get guns designed for cc that have 4" barrels so it can be very relevant. but yes, let's do move on.
>>
>>34430591
depends on a lot. If you're a poorfag, you need to get 9mm, cause it's the cheapest to shoot and a good self-defense cartridge.

40 is a bit of a dead cartridge but a lot of police carry it.

45 is fudd-tier but fun as heck to shoot.

I wouldn't recommend a .380 gun. I have yet to see a load that gets adequate penetration and expansion, let alone consistent. It's also an underpowered 9mm which is more expensive to shoot. That said, I enjoy shooting 380's, the recoil is extremely smooth

.38 is good, especially for pocket-carry. a good snub nose can also be a good club in a fight if need be. Just practice reloading with speed strips or a speed loader.

If you live in a southern, warm climate, a compact 9mm is perfect. If you live in a northern area, where people wear heavy jackets, you can get away with carrying a bigger caliber, bigger handgun. 40 or 45 will both serve you well.

For 9mm, I carry a Glock 43, and sometimes my XD, but I need a decent holster for it.

I sometimes carry a Glock 23 OWB in winter. It's comfy as hell not having a brick jammed in your pants. I'll also carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster.
>>
File: px4compactcarry_zoom003.png (401KB, 840x585px) Image search: [Google]
px4compactcarry_zoom003.png
401KB, 840x585px
>>34431312
Thanks for the list.

>GP P11
If rotating barrel is OK, the PX4 Storm compact carry could be an option as well for like $400 more in MSRP. Granted, the Beretta is .4 inches larger in overall height, which is something I'm looking to minimize at the moment. I'm smaller framed, and pistol grips will tend to show on me.
>>
>>34431642
What guns are you thinking of? I can only think of 1911's that aren't ideal for CC anyways and Kahrs.
>>
>>34431748
>ideal for concealed carry

There is no "ideal" gun. You will have to compromise, but you aren't telling us what you want and what you're willing to give way on.

Do you want high capacity and are you willing to forgo comfort to carry it? We can give you a few guns to choose from.

Do you want something small and easily concealed, but capacity is a non issue? We can give you a few guns too.
>>
Just missed the giant S&W Shield sale they had. Palmetto was selling them shipped for just under $200.

Still highly recommended.
>>
>>34430693
I still can't get over the fucking
>GRIP ZONE

Makes me laugh every time.
>>
Allright, time to actually contribute instead of just leech.

I've been looking around for a more concealable pistol than my commander sized 1911. The biggest issue I have is how much the bottom of the front strap hangs out away from me because of how long a 7 round single stack .45 is. I'm not so sure how much the thickness affects things, given that I'll be using a holster that will smooth out the shape of the gun. I'd like to have some weight to the gun so the shooting experience isn't like that of an LCP. For the same reason, I'd like to maintain a three-fingered grip, but my size works to my advantage at this point because I can get most of my last digit onto a 1.8" front strap. Capacity is no issue so long as it's 7+ and can handle defensive 9mm loads (+p, feeds almost anything).

Pic related is what I've found so far. It's not a very large data set, but the guns were chosen to provide a large amount of variation. The S&W Shield is in the works, as are the G19 and G43.
>>
>>34431938
Like the post I responded to, 4" barrels designed for CC.
>>
For me it's the Glock 19, the best striker fired pistol.
>>
>>34432858
Closest thing I can find is the G19. The honor guard long slide has a 3.8 inch barrel, and the sig p329 has a 3.9 inch barrel. All of these in 9mm.
>>
File: 1418352471962.png (290KB, 646x482px) Image search: [Google]
1418352471962.png
290KB, 646x482px
not OP but i'm actually going out to buy my first gun today. i hear glocks are really popular, should i get one? i heard that they don't have a safety and that bothers me because i worry about kids finding it

dumb question, but do gun stores have shooting ranges or do i have to go somewhere else to get training?
>>
>>34433174
Some gun stores have shooting ranges, some don't. It's easier to find an indoor gun range with a store attached than a store with an indoor gun range attached, however. Try a pistol today, don't buy one today.

If you're worried about the whole "child safe" aspect, you need to make sure the kids can't physically touch the gun when it isn't on you. This means an additional $50 minimum on a small steel box. Alternatively, you can settle for a gun with an internal lock ("Hillary hole") that might accidentally engage when you need it not to.
>>
>>34433200
thanks m8

>It's easier to find an indoor gun range with a store attached than a store with an indoor gun range attached

is there any way to tell if a store is the former? i suppose i could search their website.

also, do i sign up for CCW training at the store or somewhere else?
>>
>>34433233
>do i sign up for CCW training at the store or somewhere else?
I don't think a CCW class is something you should be taking right now. The only shooting you'll be doing in there is a skills qualification, and you sure as shit aren't passing that the day you first pick up a pistol. A basic pistol skills class would be better for you. You should, in this order:

>Find a gun you're willing to both carry and practice shooting with
>buy it
>practice/take a pistol skills class until you can hit 20 rounds on a torso sized target from 7 yards with no warmup
>Take your CCW class
>Apply for the permit and wait

I am assuming you're not somebody that needs a gun RIGHT NOW because you made some bad connections lately. If that is the case, a CCW license is going to take too long. If you're actually desperate, you're now more realistically deciding between the inefficient and potentially unlawful application of a gun or no gun at all.
>>
File: put_em_up.jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
put_em_up.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
>>34430591
>>
File: Untitled.png (38KB, 1492x243px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
38KB, 1492x243px
Data. Ignore "protrusion" measurements, the "grip length under trigger guard" measurement should make more sense. These things all have different grip angles, but quantifying grip angle reliably is hard.
>>
>>34433366
thanks, also no i'm not in a desperate hurry, i would just like one as soon as possible because i moved into a really shitty apartment complex
>>
File: gunparison-all.png (3MB, 773x5031px) Image search: [Google]
gunparison-all.png
3MB, 773x5031px
And the comparisons. The commander sized 1911 is in blue since it's my common reference, and each potential suitor is in red and reduced opacity for comparing control layout. I chose not to look at the glocks because the finger grooves in the two most prevalent generations will most assuredly not fit my hands. This sort of thing isn't difficult to do, thanks to the abundance of common angles in gun marketing photography. You can generally get things to a common scale based on overall length.
>>
Bersa Thunder. It's cheap and I get to feel like James Bond.
>>
>>34430591

I'd show you, but it's concealed.
>>
anon who was checking out guns for the first time here, the store owner recommended i get the glock 43 9mm FS 6RD, is that a good CCW option?

what was funny was that they were playing Hickok 45 on the store TV
>>
>>34430591
Walther PPS M2. Nice and small, great shooter.
>>
>>34435113
It's a tiny pistol that will fit anywhere, so it checks that box. It won't be the easiest to shoot, but if you can get your whole strong hand on the grip it won't be too snappy. The double stack relative is the G26, which holds 10 rounds of 9mm in the magazine. There are aftermarket magazine floor plates that can extend the front of the grip a little and make the gun more controllable. The 6 round capacity is kinda iffy to me, but revolver users are fine with having that many shots. Defensive ammunition choice becomes critical with 9mm. Heavier (127gr and up) expanding ammunition (hollowpoints) should be used in a barrel that short, if the luckygunner ammo test data is worth anything. Practice with mostly cheap plinking ammo, but occasionally try the defensive ammo to make sure you can handle it.

I may be exaggerating the difficulty in handling a small pistol. My only real experience is the LCP, which is truly tiny and has a full double action trigger pull. Glock claims the G43 has a trigger pull of 5.5 lb, which is reasonable. Try one out if you can -- a similar pistol is the current Ruger LC9.
>>
>>34435348
thanks m8

the only thing i was left confused about was the safety. he explained that glocks are different in how they make their safeties but never explained how the 43 safety worked
>>
>>34430827

Looks like a solid billet of steel.

I like CZs reasonably enough but this just looks heavy.
>>
>>34435379
The gun will go off if and only if the trigger is pulled. There is no mechanical device on a Glock that can be used to prevent the trigger from making the gun go off. Many people are fine with this as they think they'll be vigilant enough to remain in complete control of the firearm. Most of the people that think this are correct, and the few people that have unrealistically high views of themselves ND into the wall, carpet, or whatever else the happen to be pointing the gun they thought was empty at. We get threads from these people sometimes, usually with title or text along the lines of "I fucked up, /k/."
>>
File: gunparison-glocks.png (584KB, 773x1118px) Image search: [Google]
gunparison-glocks.png
584KB, 773x1118px
It turns out the glock 19 and the commander 1911 look pretty much the same in profile. Having handled both, I'm not surprised. It's worth noting that the px4 has a shorter grip than the g19, but holds the same amount of 9mm.
>>
+ 1 reccomendation from the single stack 9 crowd.

I carry a g43 most of the time, but as smithfags constantly point out the shield manages to be the same size with an extra round, which is fair.

My personal preference for carry is some flavor of trigger pull only no safety in a form specific kydex or the like. That matters to me more than caliber frankly.

I also carry a 10mm if in out in the wild or if I'm feeling saucy. A g29. It's about the size of a g19 and lately I have been thinking I might like that more having an extra 5 or 18 rounds of 9mm over the 10mm. Save for woodsy shit.
>>
>>34430591
Walther ppk
>>
.50 desert eagle 10 inch barrel tiger stripes
>>
>>34436396
Is a double stack 9 really that bulky? The ones I've seen aren't as thick as a 1911 overall, but do they tend to be boxy?
>>
>>34435412
Frame is aluminum making it light weight.
>>
>>34430827
Subcompacts are fucking dumb.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.