[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would propeller airplanes still make a difference in today's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 115424365.jpg (276KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
115424365.jpg
276KB, 1600x900px
Would propeller airplanes still make a difference in today's battlefield?
Lets say you command a desperate yet willing army of a shithole that has some ancient migs and gazelles in working order but a lot of propeller fighter planes.
You have decent motorized brigades with t72s, as well as 64s and 55s.
The infantry has the basic cheap package for them, ak's, rpgs, all bought at discount and doused with anti-rust chemicals and oiled.
Your enemy is foreign backed and you have a short window of time before the foreign backer comes to turn the tide.
Could a fleet of Yaks, or possibly Mustangs, Spitfires still be a deciding factor on the battlefield?
The jet powered planes could be bombers if you strap enough barrel bombs on it, or whatever you have.
Sure the prop powered planes would get shot easily but if you have enough of them, with pilots that passed a 10 day crash course of flying (as was in ww1 and 2) would it make a difference?
There are tons of ordinance to put on them and engineers to install them.
>>
File: OV-10-Marawi.jpg (33KB, 896x580px) Image search: [Google]
OV-10-Marawi.jpg
33KB, 896x580px
>>34426138
This is an OV-10 during operation against Isis in marawi,philippines.

You tell me
>>
>>34426138
>Your enemy is foreign backed
sounds like they would have infantry anti-air?
>>
http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/light-attack-aircraft-the-super-tucano-the-at-6-and-the-blue-kool-aid/

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2010/01/is-the-super-tucano-a-practical-option-for-the-raf/

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/news/a25400/air-force-lightweight-fighter-oa-x/
>>
ok, the end of the thread
>>
>>34426138
no. today's battlefields don't even make a difference desu senpai. we're being outbred and subverted through mass immigration and replacement. nothing short of dropping a MIRV on Mecca and Beijing will stop it.
>>
>>34426138
If by "today's battlefield" you mean yesterday's battlefield (i.e. NATO vs USSR roflstomping it out in the Fulda gap) or tomorrow's battlefield (i.e. USN vs PLAN dunking each other in the SCS) then no, fuck that shite.

But.

If by "today's battlefield" you mean the conflicts happening right now, today, in the various spots of the world, then sure, prop planes could be useful.

For instance, I'd imagine that a Cessna with a half-decent GPS and a guy with binocs and some knowledge in trigeometry (and maybe an arty brigade some 30 klicks away) could really fuck up Jihadi John's day down in Syria. Or maybe Independence Ivan, up in Ukraine. And there's still Cocaine Carlos over in the Latin Americas... didn't the Brazilian Air "Force" recently buy a bunch of Tucanos for COIN purposes (i.e. strafing drug runners)?

So yeah, I can totally see prop birds pulling their weight when you need a low-cost, low-maintenance, rugged(ish) air support. However, as soon as you're up against a reasonably compentent enemy that actually has an airforce of it's own, you're better off leaving them on the ground and let the pros handle the situation.
>>
>>34426302
>MIRV on Mecca and Beijing
All it takes is some assassinations and lynching all across USA and a few of the MIRV's on Israel.
Job done and 80% of the Earths problems disappear
>>
drones have props
>>
>>34427941
China and the dunecoons are problems too by sheer weight of numbers.
>>
>>34426646
>Ukraine
Donbass has some pretty significant anti-air capability, they downed several helicopters, some Flankers, transports and an airliner before the Ukis stopped flying over the ATO.
>>
>>34426646
wouldn't cartel groups have anti air equipment? i thought they were trained by special operation groups and have access to latin american military equipment...
>>
File: King Air 350.jpg (532KB, 1932x1086px) Image search: [Google]
King Air 350.jpg
532KB, 1932x1086px
>>34426246
>http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2010/01/is-the-super-tucano-a-practical-option-for-the-raf/
>Armed Breechcraft King Air 350

That is actually a cool idea. I like it.
>>
File: reaper.jpg (75KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
reaper.jpg
75KB, 1000x667px
>implying prop planes aren't currently the front line in the War On Terror
>>
>>34426207
Considering the Flips still haven't won, no. Not very effective.
>>
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.