[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chinese contract Inglis Hi-Power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

A buddy of mine has an Inglis Hi-Power No.1 Mk1 from the Chinese contract runs that had the adjustable 500m rear sights and the cut outs for the wooden stocks in the frames, the ones made in Montréal. He's a collector and has a lot of firearms. This one is in like new condition with zero wear because he has never shot it and kept it as a collection piece.

He bought it from the grand-father of a friend, who was the original owner of the pistol, and who still had the original registration papers for it. He didn't have a stock for the HP, though. He didn't shoot it, either. My friend also has 20 magazines for it (Mecgar) and an extra trigger mechanism. That's a lot of magazines.

I know Inglis Hi-Powers inside and out because I'm a CF armourer. I unfortunately witness ALL of their faults... and there are many of those. They have super low round counts and still develop cracks in barrels (this WILL happen, 100% guaranteed, to every pistol that gets shot enough) and I know that they are complete pieces of shit but this is a great collector piece and as a self-loathing Québecois myself this would be an awesome weapon to own since it was made here in the province.

He recently acquired an actual stock for it. The stock is also like new with the weird sling and everything. It is probably a reproduction but as far as we can tell the stocks weren't serialized at all with the pistols anyway.

I asked him if he would sell it to me and he said that he'd sell it to me for $2,100 with the 20 magazines, the stock and the extra trigger mech. After he told me his price, he looked up auctions online and people are selling fucked up and worn out Chinese contract Hi-Powers with beat up stocks and only one magazine for $3,500 and up. This is a ridiculous deal. He sent me links to auctions and I'm pretty sure he regrets the price he told me.

Should I get it? Sorry for the bad quality photos (his pictures) but you can see the perfect condition the pistol and stock are in.
>>
>>34420551
If you can justify spending that much on something akin to a non functioning model in how much you'll actually fire it, and make some money back selling magazines.

Then yes, but honestly anon, I personally couldn't spend that much on a wallhanger, i would rather have a gun i could fire and actually fix when shit goes south. Just my 3 and 1/2 dogecoins.
>>
File: bhp_2grips.jpg (868KB, 3140x1125px) Image search: [Google]
bhp_2grips.jpg
868KB, 3140x1125px
>>34420551
I have a later T-series one which I admittedly overpaid for ($1000 in california). It came with 2 sets of grips, the original and wood, and 2 magazines (1 original, 1 aftermarket). I honestly regret buying it a little even though it is in a common shootable caliber and has muh history since important spare parts (especially the internal extractor) are non-existent and the barrel outside rusts really fucking easily. Fortunately, ballistol seems to have solved the problem though I have to wipe it down much more carefully than my other guns.

If I were to do it again, I would have bought a Mk3 as a shooter.
>>
>>34420551
Is it legal to have the stock without a stamp?
>>
File: IMG_4497.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4497.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>34420991
Yeah these things are really expensive for what they are but that's supply and demand for you. I hope yours shoots good. Hi-Powers fit perfectly in my hand and if you have a decent one it WILL shoot great and straight, even though the triggers are horrible. I've won gold medals with them at CAFSAC events (Canadian Armed Forces Small Arms Challenge, basically shooting competitions with multiple armies).

>>34421049
If you read my post you'd know that I live in Canada, where things such as stamps and stocks or vertical grips changing the classification of a gun doesn't exist. As for the US, I know that some stocked pistols are exempt (Mauser C96 for example), but I don't know if Hi-Powers are. They're in the same ballpark...
>>
>>34421100
I saw Quebec but I figured you were just from there originally, sometimes I forget that leafs get to collect funs too.
>>
>>34421117
If I get it I kind of want to go shooting with it and see how far it gets consistent hits at. Or do IPSC matches and be super accurate because of the stock and sights.
>>
>>34421100

I think mine groups well, it's just that my trigger pull/grip is shit so everything ends up left and down of wherever I aim.

I notice it shoots better with hotter 124 grain 9mm like Fiocchi but I'm afraid of damaging impossible to replace internal parts so I don't want to shoot that stuff anymore. I can actually get fiocchi to group where I aim instead of left and down for some reason.
>>
Man Hi Powers are gorgeous
>>
>>34421509
The parts that I see break the most are:
-the barrels crack at the bottom right 90 degree angle where the feed ramp meets the outside of the chamber, the crack will go diagonally up and to the left inside of the chamber around 1/16th of an inch long (I spot them with a little magnifying glass)
-the firing pin retaining plates will crack in the bottom left 90 degree angle and into the firing pin hole where it's open to let the ejector pass

The internal parts RARELY ever break, if at all. Off the top of my head, having worked on these for over 11 years in the CF, I can count the number of times I've changed internal parts on my fingers. I've replaced worn springs and the odd slide lock that would break at the front where the larger, rounder part covers the slide notch but besides that you should be good to go for internal parts.
>>
File: 31853-DEFAULT-l[1].jpg (183KB, 1350x750px) Image search: [Google]
31853-DEFAULT-l[1].jpg
183KB, 1350x750px
>>34421549
My extractor came fucked up. It wouldn't reliably extract cases and I'd get at least 1 failure to extract per 50 rounds on more expensive ammo like fiocchi and interestingly enough magtech. Cheap shit like winchester white box would have a failure to eject at every round. Hell, it plain didn't work with any ammo that passed through the winchester factory including the supposedly high quality browning practice ammo.

Do you have a source for original, preferably never used extractors? I had to buy a new reproduction one from Jack First for $90 which fortunately did not require any fitting.
>>
>>34421583
I literally have bins full of new, unused extractors that have been sitting there for decades because we don't change any.
>>
>>34421594
Lucky. They're nearly unavailable in the US.
>>
Are the Inglis guns made of soft steel, then? Commercial BHPs, especially Mark IIIs, are supposedly very good steel and very durable. In UK service one hears of them cracking frames, usually as a result of failure to replace worn-out recoil springs.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Hi%20Power%20Longevity.htm

If you have an old, soft steel BHP, you might want to consider 147-grain ammo, as slide velocities tend to be a bit lower, and you can feel the difference in the recoil impulse--it's more of a soft push, with less muzzle rise. A lot of competitors in speed shooting events shoot 147s and it does make a difference in their times. That it might be less likely to cause premature wear to the gun is a bonus. Or, if you handload, an old, old favorite light load for target shooting in 9mm is any commercial 120-125gr round nose or truncated cone lead bullet, loaded to the maximum overall length that will fit in the magazine and chamber, and feed and function properly, over 4.0gr Alliant Red Dot powder, with Federal small pistol primers. This is a really old recipe going back to gun magazines from the 1940s, back when war trophy Lugers were cheap, common "shooters." It's really light and not every gun will cycle it.
>>
>>34421669
I've heard the opposite, that they're one of the strongest early hi power frames around.
>>
Anyone know what the stock recoil spring strength is on the inglis?

Also would it hurt to replace it with a stronger spring if stock is the 17lb one?
>>
>>34421100
The stocks would have to be serialized along with the gun (which you said they don't have) and they have to be made before the NFA which is sometime in the 30s (can't remember the date off hand) which also happens to be when the Hi Power came out some I'm gonna say the stocks are illegal in the US
>>
>>34421796
Some stocked hi powers are exempt form the NFA same with all mausers and artillery lugers, also for these pistols the stock does not have to be serialized to the gun it can even be new manufactured it just has to be the same style as the original stock was, so a new wood holsterstock for a mauser or hi power is ok fitting it with an m4 stock is not.
>>
>>34421771
It's either 16 or 17 pounds. This guy, the late Stephen Camp, recommended going up to 18 1/2 pounds for a Hi-Power that would be used for defense, or used in high volume training, shooting lots of hot ammo, like the surplus SMG ammo that used to be so common and cheap back in the 90s. He also recommended a polymer shock buffer for the rear of the recoil spring to reduce peening--but not all Hi-Powers cycle 100% reliably with one in place due to different tolerances, so test it before you carry.

I would also note that Camp was an avid hunter who killed lots of whitetail deer, feral hogs, coyotes, and other critters with 9mm handguns using his own really hot handloads (6.0-6.3 grains Unique with a 124gr Hornady "XTP" hollowpoint bullet--that's really stout, up in +P+ territory, 1250 ft/sec or thereabouts from most service-length guns), and as long as you replace worn springs regularly, he said he saw no signs of unusual or unexpected wear on his Hi-Powers or CZ75s.
>>
>>34421871
This anon is correct.
>>
File: Leningrad militia.jpg (206KB, 1280x894px) Image search: [Google]
Leningrad militia.jpg
206KB, 1280x894px
>>34420551
The problem you have with your Hi-Powers is that they are all used and abused. You give it some recruit that will learn to shoot pistols on it, but it's not just one recruit per year it's like 2,000 for each gun each year. And each one has probably been rebuilt 30 times since it was built. One on the collector's market won't be so abused.

Since you're Québecois, and like Quebec made firearms, look for an original Ross rifle. They were also all made in Quebec too.

Sort of related, here some Ross rifles used by the Leningrad militia in WWII.
>>
>>34423118
What are you talking about? Pistols aren't given to recruits and people barely shoot them. The CF puts zero emphasis on pistols and they are barely even issued. Each of the infantry companies at my unit have around 25 to 30 of them for hundreds of guys. The only people who "qualify" on them are NCOs (Sgt and up) and the people who actually use them the most at my unit are the snipers and recce guys. The Hi-Powers that see the biggest round counts are the ones used for competitions like the CAFSAC events every year. Most of our Brownings aren't beat up at all, they are just built and fitted like pieces of shit.

Some of our Brownings used to come in new, unissued condition from the depot with holes in the slides where material was machined too thin when they were originally built, barrels would crack after only a few hundred rounds at the same exact spot and the barrel/slide/frame fitment is pretty much non-existent because we replace barrels often and sometimes slides too.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.