[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silica and Guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Silica.jpg (177KB, 1920x895px) Image search: [Google]
Silica.jpg
177KB, 1920x895px
So I've been going over methods about how to store magazines in my head for awhile and recently I've started thinking about just throwing a bunch of magazines in a cooler with a bunch of silica gel.

I see no reason why this can't be a cheap and effective way to keep some rust free magazines if I ever need them, could even to the same for guns maybe, any reason why this wouldn't work?

Is there a legitimate reason why I should just put a little box of Silica at the bottom of my safe like some baking powder in the freezer?

Seems too simple as though I'm missing something big and important, also how does the rest of /k/ store their mags, loaded and unloaded?
>>
>>34405471

Silica gel eventually gets saturated with water, and it stops working.

If we are talking about a container in your closet in your house with some sort of central heating and cooling then silica gel would work fine. Just change it out every year, maybe longer.

If we are talking about a container you are keeping in a shed in the middle of the woods where youight not touch or inspect the mags for years then you need a better solution like grease.

The Soviets drenched their surplus in cosmoline because they were storing millions of weapons in un-conditioned warehouses where humans may not touch them for decades. In your house silica gel or an electric dehumidifier would work just fine.
>>
>>34405471
Desiccants are overrated. If you really want long term storage, coat your guns in thick oil or grease. Rust can't happen if the metal is not exposed to air and water.
>>
>>34405502
So it is as simple as I hoped, all right then, I kind of wished I didn't have to move to grease though for the almost limitless protection though.

I'd love to be able to essentially throw these in a case for a rainy day without having to de-grease them in the far future, but I appreciate the input.

That being said, do you keep extra magazines loaded or unloaded, or a numerable amount of extras at all?

And if so, how do you store them?
>>
>>34405520
>>34405502
Also with the Cosmoline type of storage solution, I could essentially take an AR with an empty chamber and put it in a sealed, Cosmo-filled container and leave that completely damage free for basically forever?

Cosmoline doesn't mess with any finishes, polymers, aluminum, etc does it?

I'd assume not but I don't want to try it out and com back in a week to an AR minus the furniture.

And finally, Cosmoline removal tricks would also be appreciated, especially if anyone has anything on magazines specifically.
>>
Are those granulates really that effective to begin with ?
>>
>>34405546
Cosmoline essentially remains as a grease, if you have a gun or gun part that grease would ruin dont put cosmoline on it
>Slings/Other fabrics
>Ivory/Bone/Other delicate organics
>Gold/Silver

>Cosmoline removal tricks would also be appreciated, especially if anyone has anything on magazines specifically.
Boil them or leave them out in the sun
>>34406239
I was inside a hollowed out mountain owned by the military that had a river running along one side of it, as such they always had humidity issues. They had several large beds of silica beads (each bed the size of a semi truck trailer) and would blow slightly warm air over them. They did this 24/7 for ~50 years and the hollowed out mountain (>4 million sq ft) was dry enough to store important stuff.

Yes they work but they should be used in combination with other preservative mechanisms
>>
>>34405502
>Silica gel eventually gets saturated with water, and it stops working.
You can recharge it by putting it in the oven.
>>
>>34405502
Most desiccant packs can be recharged by placing them in the oven.ones designed for this usually have a color indicator to let you know when they need to be recharged.
>>
>>34405471
vacuum seal in a plastic bag
no grease clean afterwards
>>
>>34405546
>Cosmoline removal tricks
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/sci.chem/liwOE3v3T1s/3ZzFpZUYrn8J
>>
>>34405471
i use silica and have to say it works excellent
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.