[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would happen if this thing fired? My assumption is that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Possible Danger.png (9KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Possible Danger.png
9KB, 800x600px
What would happen if this thing fired? My assumption is that the casing would fly out of the barrel, but would it explode? Would it damage the barrel of the gun? Or would the hammer keep the cartridge in place?
>>
>>34403469
First off, we know that with enough mass and a proper application of force, a "hammer" (or a bolt) can keep a cartridge seated long enough to keep you from being hurt, and then have juuuuust enough pressure to eject the spent casing and slap a new one in and fire it.

It's called and open bolt mechanism.

Now.

You're essentially trying the same thing but with a hammer. So the question becomes "how much does the hammer weigh?"
Do you know what cartridge you'd be firing?
How strong is the mainspring?
And I'm assuming the hammer would fully envelope the cartridge.

But. Beyond all this, we get to one problem that no amount of engineering and inventing can fix.
The fact that open bolt firearms are, single shot or semi auto only or not, treated as machine Guns because lolATF.
>>
>>34403469
your going to die
now if theres something solid keepin the case from moving your okay but just the hammer nope
>>
>>34403503
Let's invent our own ATF with blackjack and hookers.
>>
>>34403515
So The ATF but not funded by taxes?
>>
>>34403503
>>34403506
Yeah, yeah, I get that if you push back on the case hard enough it doesn't move. But what happens when it flies out? Does it blow up, or damage the barrel in some way?
>>
>>34403541
No, it cracks the casing and fucks up your face with hot gases and shrapnel.

And you probably wind up with a squib.
>>
>>34403551
So what you're saying is, if you could contain the shrapnel of the casing, you would have an easily made auto extracting gun. Seems like a potentially useful idea for a DIY scrap metal design.
>wind up with a squib
Why is that?
>>
>>34403469
>Is this worth replying to?
>Shit, probably

Think about a straight-blowback action. The only thing that keeps the chamber closed during firing is the weight of the bolt and the strength of the spring. In your setup, not only is your spring just a hammer-strength spring, but it has practically no weight behind it. The barrel would be fine - the thing you should concern yourself with is that the brass would less so fire and more so detonate right into the user's face.
>>
>>34403612
>Is this worth replying to
I mean, it's better than weeb shit, and I'll keep shitting up the board until I get an answer
>more so detonate right into the users face
But would it still actually put a bullet down the barrel at a good velocity?
>>
>>34403635
>But would it still actually put a bullet down the barrel at a good velocity?

No. The casing is lighter than the bullet, so the reaction would come right back at the shooter. The bullet would probably just squib like Anon said.
>>
>>34403541
>>34403589
Take note that straight blowback guns can function without an extractor, in some cases, which means your idea is technically feasible. Though you'd have a significantly underpowered cartridge by today's standards, or a massive hammer and or heavy mainspring. Simply, what you're doing is basically making what would be a straight blowback, except the bolt is rotating down and out of the way instead of moving straight back. Issues I see is that there isn't going to be consistent coverage of the case head because the "hammer", after rotating a tiny amount, will only be in contact with the base of the case head. Second, while some guns technically can function without extractors, I'd assume to make it reliable you'd need some for of assistance like fluting of the chamber. Making any kind of extractor function for this would be more than it's worth considering this is obviously supposed to be simple.

By the way, when that guy mentions that you'll end up with a squib, that's because the pressure that would normally be pushing the bullet, is instead taking the easier path of right the fuck back out the brand new hole in the breech.

>>34403503
Issue is your comment on it being "open bolt", is that this is open bolt in the same way a revolver would be open bolt, except a cartridge might come back and recock it. I assume this would be exempt from the open bolt like how trigger disconnectors for manually operated guns like the model 1897. Not like I really know or anything, just a shot in the dark.
>>
It's going to act like a recoilless rifle.

A very shitty one that barely works and would mostly just vent powder muzzleflash/ unburnt residue as the ingnition would very quickly dislodge the shell before the bullet left the barrel, i would presume.
>>
This might work if you use a rimfire cartridge. Angle the top of the hammer so that it strikes the rim, ensure that it goes back and stays in line with the barrel, and use the angled surface as a brass deflector. Lotta work for a single shot gun, though.
>>
>>34403540
Put the residents of Goldfield, NV in charge of it too, please.
>>
>>34403469
tie it to a log and fire it with a string anon

also film it
>>
>>34403503
>It's called and open bolt mechanism.
No, it's called a blowback action.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.