[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sks general/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_1190.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1190.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey lads, I'm in the process of unbubbaing an sks and I'm wondering what purpose does the cross bolt serve? Is it necessary? I just got mine today and can't get the damn thing to fit and I'm wondering if I need one at all
>>
>>34401656
I think it's to make sure the stock doesn't crack due to the recoil of the rifle. Not 100% sure but it's generally a good idea to keep it in.
>>
>>34401656
The crossbolt distributes the force of recoil equally through the stock or something to that affect. You need it.
>>
>>34401699
Is there a way to tell if maybe mine is too big or doesn't fit or something? When I put the crossbolt in the barrel and receiver and such won't slide into the stock like it would without it in
>>
>>34401720
Are you saying the rifle cannot be assembled with the cross bolt? Because that's very bizarre and should not be happening, are you use the orientation of the cross bolt was correct?
>>
File: Reciever Detail.jpg (179KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Reciever Detail.jpg
179KB, 1536x1152px
>>34401699
This. You need that thing.

Look, I put a chink SKS into a Yuropoor stock, and had the EXACT same problem you did. The deal is this: Some crossbolts are round, some have a flat filed into them so the stock will fit. I had a stock with a round crossbolt, and a receiver that wanted a flat one. WAT DO?

I ended up just taking a metal file and filing a flat on the crossbolt so that the receiver would fit down on it. It took a little work, but it ended up fitting very well, and the rifle is accurate and reliable.

Metal files, homie. Get sum.
>>
>>34401720
Maybe make sure that it would fit WITHOUT the stock? And make sure it can go through the stock when it's NOT attached to the rifle? Eliminate variables first
>>
>>34401773
Anons cross bolt is a flat one thought, I think he might have just had it upside down or something.
>>
File: Bubba SKS.jpg (3MB, 4607x1269px) Image search: [Google]
Bubba SKS.jpg
3MB, 4607x1269px
muh bubba
>>
File: IMG_1191.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1191.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34401740
>>34401773
The crossbolt is flattened at some parts and I guarantee it is in the right orientation. I can even see where on the receiver the crossbolt should be going, but it seem the crossbolt is very slightly too big, filing it down may just work how I need it to
>>34401778
Yeah I've assembled it plenty of times without the crossbolt so far, but I just got the bolt in the mail today
>>
File: SKS.jpg (2MB, 4607x1009px) Image search: [Google]
SKS.jpg
2MB, 4607x1009px
muh molot sks
>>
File: CIMG0590.jpg (1011KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG0590.jpg
1011KB, 2304x1728px
>>34401836
>>
>>34401793
Dog, you are giving way to much "give a fuck".
Anon will NEVER get a file, NEVER look to see if that shit is just turned flat side down, and never do shit except let that fucking rifle rust before he sells it to one of his shitty friends for weed money.

Here's what I do: I give the dipshit the information to unfuck himself. Then I'm done. I know dipshit will NEVER use the information in any constructive way... but that's not the point. That's not my shit to judge. I just do the right thing-- give the info out. I just try to do the right thing in a stupid, lazy, ignorant and pointless world.

I just try to make sure it's not me.
>>
File: IMG_1192.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1192.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
It seems like if I could push the receiver back like, half a millimeter it would fit, but right now it's as far back as it will go and it still won't slide all the way into the stock
>>
>>34401656
It's called the recoil lug. It transfers the energy to both sides of the stock since it is weakened because of the magazine.
>>34401836
>Molot
There is no such thing as "Molot marks" they are just Russian proof marks.
>>
>>34401862
FUCKING.
FILE.
IT.
>>
File: IMG_1099.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1099.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34401854
Listen here you kike I've put too much goddamn time and money into this project and I'll be fucked before I let it go unfinished. This is what it looked like before and I'm so goddamn close to salvaging it.
>>
>>34401883
I'm buying a file tomorrow fucker, do you have any recommendations?
>>
>>34401854

What is wrong with you?
>>
>>34401871
I know it wasn't manufactured by molot, but it WAS refurbished by molot for commercial sale. It has a molot logo and CIP proof marks
>>
>>34401833
Try putting the cross bolt in without screwing the nut on, reassemble the whole rifle, and when you have it all together nice and tight screw the nut on.

Then disassemble and reassemble to check the fit, if that doesn't work try shaving off just a tiny bit where you feel you get the most resistance. Just a tiny bit though, you still want it relatively tight so the cross bolt is absorbing the recoil more than just getting hit by it.

>>34401854
>Anon comes to /k/ asking for help with his gun
>>Fuck him! Who the fuck does he think he is asking for gun advice, does he think this is a board revolving around guns or something
Is there any trip that isn't pure fucking cancer?
>>
>>34401912
That's the problem my guy, the nut doesn't matter, the receiver won't slide down into the stock when the crossbolt is in at all. I feel like if I filed just a bit off though that it would fit.
>>
>>34401883
Christ whats wrong with you?
>>
>>34401946
Hold up, I just got my SKS out to look around and this might be a bit of a stupid question but your constant use of the phrase "slide down" is bugging me.

You're making sure that the front end of the stock is completely in the handguard lips before just kinda "hinging" it down, right?
>>
>>34401974
Yeah, the receiver and all of that is pushed as far back towards the butt of the stock as it will go, handguard lips completely covering the front of the stock and all, if that makes any further sense
>>
>>34401974
The problem is that the crossbolt is currently blocking the receiver assembly from going far enough down into the stock where I can snap the trigger group back onto it if that makes any sense
>>
>>34401854
Zed, literally no one likes you.

Kill yourself, dude.
>>
>>34402031
Weird, should just slide right in

Could you also post a picture of the bottom of your receiver?
>>
>>34401825
I actually want to shoot that
>>
>>34402049
Yeah sure, it's pretty clear where on the receiver the crossbolt should be resting, but they just don't want to fit together while the crossbolt is in the stock. Like it's been suggested, may take just a bit of filing to make it work
>>
File: IMG_1194.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1194.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>34402094
>>34402049
Fuck forgot pic
>>
File: P1100521.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
P1100521.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>34402117
Yeah, it looks like there's not nearly enough material shaved off on that.

For reference here's the bottom of my receiver, I seem to have the exact same cross bolt type as you though.
>>
>>34401854
Zed you should do us a favor and prove the FMJ is just as good as JHP and put one through your temple.
>>
>>34401885
Fucking BF3 was the worst thing to ever happen to the SKS.
>>
>>34401885
M-mikey?
>>
>>34402189
Wow yeah holy shit, crossbolts look the same but if that's what the bottom of the receiver is supposed to look like then I've got some filing to do, thanks for the assist my man
>>
>>34402257
His is a different model than yours.
He has a threaded barrel while yours is pressed
If you are going to file anything file the bolt since it's the cheaper part.
>>
>>34401893
OH hell yeah man!
You got a Lowes or Home Depot near you?
Nicholson.
Nicholson makes very well-respected files. I think you can get a set of the smaller ones for like $15, and they will last you years if you treat them properly (cut in only one direction, get a little chalk rubbed in them before you file, etc.)

Good luck man!
>>
>>34402257
To be fair my SKS seems to have kind of a thick tapered ring after the receiver while yours seems to go straight from receiver to naked barrel so that might be why it seems so different.

Though that might be the problem, you're using a different cross bolt from the one you should be using. Just remember to take it slow, shave off a tiny layer and keep testing until you hit that perfect stop, you can always take off a tiny bit more but you can never add more if you take too much off.
>>
>>34402283
not once in this thread has zed given any bad advice. I don't see why the hate.
>>
Hey /k/, what's the most I should pay for a Para SKS? What about a Russian SKS? Assuming good condition and non bubba'd of course.
>>
>>34402282
Yeah I was just looking at that actually and figured that may be the case. Even so, the material I need to remove is hardly anything, and of course I'd rather start with filing the thing that cost like 6 bucks
>>34402283
Nah, but I work for a safety and construction supply company, so I'm sure I can get a nice complimentary set from there
>>
>>34402305
The part where he started shitting all over OP for absolutely no fucking reason.
>>
>>34401898
MOLOT doesn't refurb shit. They just put their name and designation on it so it now becomes a hunting rifle under Russian law.
>>
>>34401895
Zed is a trip faggot who thinks because he's refinished some stocks he's some gifted gunsmith when in reality he's a try hard loser who like the rest of us has nothing better to do with his life besides shit post on /k/
>>
>>34402319
Oh, I wouldn't say no reason. I kinda want OP to succeed-- a little jab to the pride isn't always malicious.
>>
>>34402319
It's ok I can take it ;-;

But for real all you lads were a great help, can't wait to file this bitch down tomorrow and give it a go at the range
>>
>>34402319
it didn't seem that bad. My foreman is an asshole at work, maybe i'm just used to it by now.
>>
>>34402305
When Zed turns off his trip to make it look like someone likes him.
>>
>>34402364
Make sure you post results anon, nothing makes me happier than seeing an old bubba'd girl restored to her former glory.
>>
>>34402396
My hope is everything goes well and I can post side by side tomorrow or Saturday. Got all the final bits and pieces today, including this goddamn crossbolt. Once I saw her like she was at a second rate pawn shop I knew I had to do something
>>
>>34402308
Can someone answer this one plz? Sorry I'm an SKS noob but I really don't want to overpay when I buy one
>>
>>34402333
are of showing proofs?
>>
>>34401656
How come when I removed that from a mosin every one sperged out on me?
>>
>>34402528
Because I didn't remove this one, I bought a new stock and a new crossbolt separately
>>
Is Golden Tiger the best ammo to buy for muh SKS? Been shooting only Tula as of late because poorfag, and its just super dirty.
>>
>>34402368
Clean it up the rIght fucking way!
Feel at home?
>>
>>34402487
Two years ago I bought a nice refurbed Russian with a pretty great stock for 500 from an lgs in CA (can't remember out the door price)
Idk if that's good or bad, but you might be able to use it as a guideline
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.