[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 20

File: Pabloescobook.jpg (54KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
Pabloescobook.jpg
54KB, 300x450px
Share your favorite books about weapons, battles, or anything military in general. I want to see what you guys read.
I recommend the book Killing Pablo. It's about the people involved in the joint effort to capture and jail, and late kill, Pablo Escobar. It has experiences from colombian police/military, US agencies assisting and even some mercenaries/other gang members. I really enjoyed it.

Do any of you have any book recommendations on military operations? I'm especially interested on anything about the civil wars in central america during the 80's or about the middle east that would help me understand what the hell is going on there.
Books or any form of literature welcome
>>
please
>>
mostly Tom Clancy books, they're pretty gud. I have the american sniper book, it was pretty gud too... (plz no bulli)
>>
Killing pablo is kinda like eating feces.
Well, what i mean is, alot of faggot americans and faggot dea government spooks wanted pablo dead for getting their disgusting roast beef vagina daughters hooked on cocaine.
These faggot gov people were angry because they wanted to fuck their daughts BEFORE they became roast beef labia whores, and they missed their opportunity. And these dea gov fags eat feces on the reg.
So, there ya go. The book shouldve been called, "killing pablo and masticating fecal matter: its the same thing"
By faggot mcfagerson.
>>
>>34397636
Storm of Steel and Poilu are good.
>>
>>34397776
>mostly Tom Clancy books, they're pretty gud
Clancy's been going downhill his whole career. He never should have moved away from writing naval combat.

Rule of thumb for Clancy: if it's not a Harpoon AAR, it's mediocre at best.

Real suggestions:
Literally everything by Forsyth
Red Phoenix by Larry Bond
Horatio Hornblower, because most of /k/ seems to think warfare started in 1900 given their book recs
>>
I'm a third into this book but I already recommend highly, these dudes were some bad motherfuckers

My recent reads

Lions of Kandahar: SF dudes doing stuff, pretty good

Forgotten Solider: Eastern front HIGHLY RECOMMEND JESUS CHRIST HOW TERRIFYING

Hunting the Jackal: Snake Eater in nam who went to work for CIA and helped find Carlos the Jackal, highly recommended.

Fireforce: Rhodeisa, enough said

One Soldier's War: Chechnya, highly recommended

I've got such a backlog of stuff but I keep buying. please keep bumping this thread anons
>>
File: images.jpg (87KB, 714x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
87KB, 714x1080px
Relentless Strike was really good.

Covers the SpecOps side of GWOT. So lots of neat stories. Very gripping read and very well organized.

Robert Oneil's "The Operator" was also a lot of fun. Some overlap with parts of Relentless Strike (you'll say, oh yeah, I heard of parts of this b4). But he does a good job of introducing you to the people and he drops neat bits of info about the other non-seal teams.
>>
>>34399199
>Relentless Strike

That's at the top of my want list, I'll have to get it now. If you haven't read Delta Force by Colonel Beckwith I would definitely read that. Goes in to the politics of creating a new army unit
>>
>>34399312
Relentless is good.

I did read Haney's Delta Force. Pretty good book. I'm gonna check out Killing Pablo

Relentless discusses some of that operation action. I'm actually super surprised at how much info is in Relentless. For all the talk about No Easy Day exposing classified info, it comes nowhere near as close as relentless in the sense (not of being classified) but of "wow I had no idea the US was doing that."
>>
File: untitled.png (39KB, 102x160px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
39KB, 102x160px
>>34397636
Along with Blackhawk Down, another great book by Mark Bowden.
>>
File: 512X3rmp4oL._SY346_.jpg (30KB, 224x346px) Image search: [Google]
512X3rmp4oL._SY346_.jpg
30KB, 224x346px
>>34397636
This one really captures the tension, and chaos of the last few days before the fall of Saigon
>>
>>34397636
Written by an Air Force officer that helped with planning the Iran Hostage Rescue Mission, its amazing they made it as far as they did before disaster stuck. This failure was the genesis of USSOCOM.
>>
>>34397636
His new book on the Battle of Hue is very good
Also Michael Mann has already purchased the rights to make a TV miniseries adaption of it
>>
File: index.jpg (7KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 223x226px
Sucks you can't get psychical copies for a reasonable price but you can find the pdf on google. Quick read but really awesome none the less.
>>
Thanks for the recommendations. Would anyone happen to have any good readings on Mexican civil war, revolution or any other rebellions?

Also anyone happen to know what type of hat they are wearing in the cover of killing pablo?
>>
>>34398795
He really hits rock bottom around 2013. Everything since has been a ghost of his former prowess.
>>
File: sled driver hidden rar.png (1MB, 673x911px) Image search: [Google]
sled driver hidden rar.png
1MB, 673x911px
>>34399808
Open this in winrar.
>>
This if anyone is looking for a more strategic, geopolitical view
>>
File: 1494484485863.jpg (274KB, 1014x1452px) Image search: [Google]
1494484485863.jpg
274KB, 1014x1452px
>>34397636
This man killed apefricans and doesn't afraid of anything
>>
>>34399808
If I had a better scanner I would scan that and several of the other SR71 books I have personally signed by a former pilot who is a family friend.

>tfw he has a terminal illness and wont be around much longer
>>
>>34400870
Get that friend of yours that has a nice camera, go visit the man and have him tell his stories on video. Wanted to do that for gramps and i missed my window.
>>
>>34399199
Reading this now. I highly recommend The Savage Wars of Peace, Invisible Armies, and War Made New. All are by Max Boot the first two are about peacekeeping/insurgency the last is about the evolution of military technology.
>>
File: troopersbook.jpg (37KB, 261x432px) Image search: [Google]
troopersbook.jpg
37KB, 261x432px
I would HIGHLY recommend starship troopers by Heinlein. The book is great and much better than the movie.
>>
Also the Anabasis by Xenophon and The Gallic Wars by Caesar are classics and everyone should read them
>>
File: the man with no taste.jpg (44KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
the man with no taste.jpg
44KB, 480x270px
>>34402704
>much better than the movie.
>>
>>34397636
I like reading but the only specifically war/action book I've ever enjoyed was The Ezekiel Option.
My older brother was big into Tom Clancy and the like, but I always thought they weren't very good literature.
>>
>>34402754
Bug Hunt would have been a much more fitting title for the movie. I love the movie, don't get me wrong, but the book was much better. The movie also left out the skinnies and did not show the mobile infantry in their armored suits.
>Mobile Infantry
>March into battle on foot
>>
File: 1484708976740.jpg (9KB, 260x324px) Image search: [Google]
1484708976740.jpg
9KB, 260x324px
Excellent book and imho, a must read for anyone who conceal carries or is looking into doing it.

First half of the book deals in software, mindset, criminal behavior, details and statistics of shootings that students of the author were in. The second half deals in hardware, ammunition, holsters, guns, etc.

Tom Givens is a phenominal instructor and to this date, he has nearly ~70 students that were in gunfights with all of them being successful but 3 that did not have a gun on them at the time.
>>
>>34400308
Is that a ghostwriter joke?
>>
>>34399715
>Michael Mann
>New Vietnam War series
If he successfully pulls this off it will be the fucking bomb
>>
I just finished All Lines Black, the new tie-in novella before the last Dalton Fury's book comes out later this year. Its just as good as the previous 4 books, fictional Delta dudes doing cool delta stuff, written by a real-life Unit commander.

Currently reading The Red Circle by Brandon Webb (SAR dude becomes a SEAL, then goes on to become a seal sniper cadre member, completely redesigning the obsolete course and going on to train Chris Kyle's generation).

>>34399081
This is a top tier book, its insane what those Loach crews used to do, absolutely badass.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170630-023251.png (876KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170630-023251.png
876KB, 720x1280px
Anyone read The Right to Arm Bears?
>>
File: stop_penis_erect_archer.gif (901KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
stop_penis_erect_archer.gif
901KB, 500x281px
>>34403485
>>
File: 1712448.jpg (154KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1712448.jpg
154KB, 1200x1600px
An excellent minute by minute breakdown of the Battle of Isandlwana.

Very readable
>>
>>34400543
Thanks anon, wish I had more of these.
>>
File: House to House Bellavia.jpg (58KB, 344x499px) Image search: [Google]
House to House Bellavia.jpg
58KB, 344x499px
>>
File: 1497837020289.jpg (27KB, 295x362px) Image search: [Google]
1497837020289.jpg
27KB, 295x362px
What's the best book about B17s?
>>
>>34398670
Fuck you,
>>
>>34398670
>5 coffee beans have been deposited into your account
>>
File: 41Y8JEQ842L.jpg (27KB, 296x475px) Image search: [Google]
41Y8JEQ842L.jpg
27KB, 296x475px
>>34397636
My personal favourite
>>
a really great book about vietnam is "nam" by mark baker. its a collection of stories from people who lived through it and how they lived once they got back.
if you know someone who was fucked by the war, its an interesting and insightful read. do recommend
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.