[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3-D Printed Guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

I was having a discussion with one of my friends about gun control, and he stated that "whatever one wants to do with gun control is irrelevant - within a few years, people will be be able to just 3-D print guns, rendering all gun control pointless"

I'm interested in the technical aspect of this. Are we almost at a point (or already there) where someone could completely 3-D print a gun? Or is there some limiting factor that wouldn't allow that to occur?

I'm no expert on the topic, but I do believe that 3-D printers are now able to work with Metal, which gets rid of (or at least puts the technology down the path of eliminating) the overheating issue with plastic guns.

Any thoughts on this?
>>
File: DSC_0208-660x521.jpg (81KB, 660x521px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0208-660x521.jpg
81KB, 660x521px
>>34396049
You can make the "gun" part of the gun on an AR15, Glock, and many other mainstream firearm types very easily with the right 3D printer.

The parts that absolutely CANNOT be manufactured out polymer or plastics don't need background checks or can be machined fairly simply.

I recently looked into getting a 3D printer so I can legally produce lower receivers (the white part on you OP pic without the magazine) and shirk the government knowing any of my guns even exist.

Realistically gun control is already irrelevant as you can make guns at home easily. Brazil and Australia has tons of them. You don't even need to reuse ammunition parts either, you can fabricate those at home as well with the right tools.

Check out this guy. https://www.instagram.com/royalnonesuch/ His youtube channel is now defunct and he removed his videos but he made homemade guns.
>>
>>34396094
If it came down to it, barrels would likely be controlled.
>>
File: IMG_2997.jpg (326KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2997.jpg
326KB, 1600x1200px
>>34396107
Then they better start legislating fucking pipes. You can make a shotgun out of two of them, a nail, some cardboard, and an endcap.

Pic is a /fancy/ version.

If it came down to it they'd ban primers (which also can be made at home). Literally anybody with a small fabrication shop can retool anything to make ammo. You can even rifle a barrel super easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihPFjuxBjPo

You literally cannot ban the ability to think and make something.
>>
>>34396141
>You literally cannot ban the ability to think and make something.
no, but you could control education and entertainment and feed your ideals into the youth constantly.
>>
>>34396215
Yeah, but that's never lasted long.

Plus how would you enforce such a state? guns. All it takes is some ballsy nigga to rob a cop trunk and it would be like Prometheus himself bringing that light.
>>
>printing hardened steel

wew lad

you can make stupid flimsy lower receivers and furniture, that's about it
>>
>>34396232
Depends on the printer. There's a lot out there that can make MEH tier lowers that you could buy right now for $30, they won't last long and their tolerances would be ass but it's better than no gun.
>>
>>34396227
>Plus how would you enforce such a state?
subversion and corruption.
you don't force it. you let the people vote for it once they've been fed your ideals for a few generations.
>>
>>34396253
There's always crazies.

Universal control of people is a concept that only works in sci fi and the fevered dreams of would be communist leaders.
>>
>>34396272
>Universal control of people
you only have to control the majority and if you figure out gerrymandering properly you don't even need that.
>>
>>34396284
But I mean, it only takes 50-150 people to really fuck up the whole thing.
>>
File: 3Dgun2.png (930KB, 1000x619px) Image search: [Google]
3Dgun2.png
930KB, 1000x619px
>>34396049
did you miss out on the liberator a few years ago? it is currently possible to print almost entire functional guns that just need a nail for the firing pin. liberator, songbird, washbear, grizzly, off the top of my head
>>
>>34396296
Not if everyone else ignores them, or imprisons them if they try to force it.
>>
https://youtu.be/D43ZeYu9dnM
plenty of ways to make guns without a 3d printer. 3d printing a barrel that lasts more than a single shot is always going to be an issue for plastic 3d printers. Here's a way to make barrels from a bolt or round-stock that only requires a file, jack, and a drill. Dremel instead of file if you value your time at all.
>>
>>34396049
>I'm interested in the technical aspect of this.

There are no particular technical obstacles. You can have a laser sintering setup for powder metals for rapid prototyping basically anything form-wise.

The major problem is and always will be the required high quality of powdered raw materials. The alloying must be extremely precise and the particle size distribution must be extremely precise. Otherwise you can't control the pore distribution, grain growth in microstructure and inclusion precipitation in manufactured item. These all issues happen inside the material if you can't be in full control of heat fluxes (various occuring thermal cycles under laser induced heat flow). After the sintering process there usually are various annealing cycles to stress relief and further densify the material.

It will some take time more until the manufacturing catches up. After that, oh yeah. You will see a ton of small plants and factories making all sorts of parts for all sorts of purposes. It will be a nightmare for all kinds of officials because nothing is centralized anymore but more and more distributed.

tl;dr, the quality of raw materials meet the demands of RPT manufacturing processes in large scale.
>>
>>34396320
What is that gun? Does it have a name?
>>
>>34396523
that's a washbear
>>
I've been thinking about what gun you could almost entirely print, that has more firepower than a .22. What about a lever action .38 special? Still low pressure, and you can easily print everything except the breech block.
>>
>>34396049
when the fuck will this meme die? (inb4 3d laser sintering, but that won't be even close to mainstream for another 3-10 decades)
The lads who develop printable firearms do so as a thought/design experiment, and they stick to designs like ar's where the receiver is under minimal stress.

You don't print guns. You print positives, which you then use to make molds, which you then cast from using resin or thermoplastics and support filler (read: fiberglass).
Wow! A viable end product that has a production time less than an hour and a half.
>>
File: lathe.jpg (287KB, 3295x2228px) Image search: [Google]
lathe.jpg
287KB, 3295x2228px
>>34396049
>Any thoughts on this?
Kinda crappy because most printers can only work with shitty kinds of plastics.

Some printers used in labs could make top tier stuff though since they work with the same tier of plastics used in bullet proof "glass".

Anyways any mofo with a mill and a lathe can make a better gun than any 3D printer ever could so when we gonna start talking about dem evil baby killing ass salts lathes?
>>
>>34398371
MOLDS. For fucks sake.
>You don't print guns. You print positives, which you then use to make molds, which you then cast from using resin or thermoplastics and support filler (read: fiberglass).
>Wow! A viable end product that has a production time less than an hour and a half.

>when we gonna start talking about dem evil baby killing ass salts lathes?
We're not because the people who espouse gun control are too stupid institute a proper totalitarian government and only care about virtue signaling and their self delusions.
>>
>>34398371
I'm terribly sorry for being a rude faggot, I misinterpreted your post.
>>
shovel-ak.jpg

When it comes to gun control, where there's a will, there's a way.
>>
>>34398458
>where there's a will, there's a way.
This pmuch. As soon as nitrogen fixing algae get engineered, there will be nothing stopping anyone anywhere.
>>
>>34398371
Lab-tier printers have been doing metal for a couple years. Not just sintering either.
>>
>>34396360
I like this dude.
>>
>>34396049
I've been 3d printing. Haven't made any guns yet, but I plan to just for fun. Ask me whatever.
>>
>>34396232
>>printing hardened steel
the expensive ones can do just that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ZYKMBDm4M
see here
>>
>>34398712
>I haven't done anything
>ask me anything
No.
>>
>>34399241
and DARPA is trying to figure out how to 3d print ammo for better military logistics
after all why send tons of boxes of volatile ammo that may not even be the right kind you need
when you can send tons of boxes of safe parts of ammo and assemble / 3d print the ammo you need when you need it
>>
>>34396049
You can make rudimentary firearms at home with simple tools and materials. Slamfire shotguns and Sten guns come to mind. I think the hardest part if there was a total outright ban would be getting ammo
>>
>>34396523
I would imagine its name is printed on the side you fucking moron
>>
>>34396049
Newer printers will be locked down and force you to obtain plans through controlled channels. Not that it'll be impossible get around, but not just anyone will be able to print guns.
>>
>>34399809
>What is encryption
Whatever level of encryption people ever have access to won't be able to get cracked on a massive scale.
>>
>>34399809
The majority of 3d printers are home built from either raw parts or kits. The software is open source too. Very open community. Doing it yourself is kinda a part of the mindset of the average 3d printer owner, a printer like that would never sell.
>>
Don't printed guns have an extremely limited lifespan? I couldn't see them used to facilitate the average terrorist attack. At best seems like the World War II Liberator pistol where you use one temporarily in order to get a better and more permanent piece. But if that's your ultimate goal knowing a guy who can weld opens your world from temporary polymer guns to the well-researched world of steel tube SMGs.
>>
>>34398458
Shovel AK is a good experiment but it's still just a parts kit build. Not a gun from the ground up.
>>
>>34396049
We have a CNC shop where I work.
The foreman owns a gun club.
Yes it's nice.
>>
>>34396049
just like your copy machine at work wont properly copy certain documents, they will eventually make it illegal to sell a new 3d printer that prints prohibited items.
>>
>>34398332
Why not print the molds
>>
>>34400978
>just like your copy machine at work wont properly copy certain documents
What? How is that possible or even a practical or sensible option for a workplace photocopier?
>>
>>34400978
Since when? We have copiers at work that copy anything, and one at home.

How the fuck would that work? Scan a document before copying and compare it to a database of EVERY SINGLE COPYRIGHTED DOCUMENT?
>>
>>34400482
Everything always starts that way, until the masses of idiots start getting served advertisements and they need their Super Special Apple or Microsoft 4D Printerizerâ„¢.
>>
>>34396049

> Are we almost at a point (or already there) where someone could completely 3-D print a gun?

We are there. Are we at a point where THE AVERAGE CONSUMER can do it? Not really. Metal 3D printers are huge and fucking hazardous. (Laser hazards, metal fires, fine metal particulates, inert atmosphere printing area requirements) also see >>34396380

Now what's more effective is >>34398332 and >>34398406 . Between this and forms for ghetto-EDMing rifling into barrels pretty much rapes this faggot`s >>34396107
face.

>>34401904
Because apple and microsoft somehow came along and made linux and component building disappear.

This analogy is bad. And not just because you are trying to relate a group of people who want to build shit (and as a result just might be willing to build shit) to a group of people who don't give a fuck and just want an easy experience/someone else do it for me.
>>
>>34401038
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/advice/8597875/Why-cant-I-scan-a-banknote.html
>>
>>34396336
>imprison them if they try to force it
Good luck getting the cuffs on a man with a gun, fatalistic false-flag statist.
>>
Fuck printers, get a lathe and milling machine if serious about metalworking. Consumer printers are still firmly in the toy stage.
>>
>>34398332
How many gun parts can be cast in a mold? Receivers, yes, but what about barrels? And from home?
>>
>>34404694
Casting steel at home is possible but not practical at all. The barrels would suck. If you're only making short SMG barrels then you could ream some bar stock for less effort and better results.

If you're absolutely set on casting a barrel, orions_hammer cast an aluminum barrel including the rifling. He made a very nice negative on a lathe though, 3d printed results would be substantially shittier. This is also one of those liberator-tier weapons only meant to be used a few times, but the aluminum barrel will last quite a bit longer than plastic.
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10329&PN=1
>>
I have the monoprice miniselect V2

You can't print guns with pla and 20% infill

Just like you can't fly a 250mm racing drones miles away and shoot guns with them

Bitcoin isn't the quick way to millons I have $12 worth for playing team fortress on a private team

Nearly everything cnn says is stupid.

And anyone who says "well THEY can JUST" doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.