[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are bear guns autism? I would never want to kill one of these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (182KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
182KB, 1280x720px
Are bear guns autism? I would never want to kill one of these adorable motherfuckers but I also don't want my watch to be found in bear shit. I'm considering getting a big bore revolver, just in case one gets uppity. Waste of money or no?
Also what are your thoughts on snake shot, and would I be a fool to put a snake round in what is otherwise a bear gun? I don't want to go full retard strapping guns to myself every time I go outside but again, nature can be a cunt.
>>
.44 magnum or higher for bears.

Carry different rounds or loads if you're that worried about it.
>>
>>34395607
Bear guns are good if you worry about being eaten by a bear.

Handguns are only convenient. Rifles and shotguns are immensely better. Is the risk worth the weight?

Snake and rat shot are okay for snakes and rats. Not sure what you are asking.

Get a rifle if you are worried about being eaten. Get a 22 if you want something light to shoot at snakes and fire into the air in the hope that the bear leaves.
>>
You are probably autistic. Owning a compact firearm that can kill an attacking bear is not. People also hunt bears (crazy right? Bears are made of meat and stuff).
Snake shot is stupid though. Unless you need to kill a snake or something. You really have to piss off a snake to get attacked and at that point you probably deserve it. If you have a large caliber revolver it's basically weak birdshot.

The solution to all those things then is a compact shotgun with slugs, buckshot, and birdshot. A takedown lever action rifle would fill that role too. Do not get one of the shotgun revolver gimmicks, they are ass-flavored shit range toys. If all of those are too heavy or big then the huge revolver is the next choice. If all those things are too big then brace yourself for the 50 10mm suggestions. Know that people have killed bears with 9mm pistols so your aim is an important variable in you killing a bear. The trick is, if I recall correctly, to shoot it in the face a bunch. If you cannot hit a target the size of three men with your handgun, buckshot might still be your answer.
>>
>>34395687
I was thinking .454 casull because it's retarded strong but not so elusive as .460 S&W, .480 Ruger, or .500 S&W and can take .45 LC.

>>34395698
>Sage
Why this?
>Handguns are only convenient. Rifles and shotguns are immensely better. Is the risk worth the weight?
It's not so much the weight as the concealability. A long gun attracts forestry service who think you're out poaching.
>Snake and rat shot are okay for snakes and rats. Not sure what you are asking.
Well I don't want to get killed by a snake or a bear, but don't want to carry both a snake gun and a bear gun. My solution is to put one snake shot round in the bear gun. Is this a total dumbass move? I'm emptying the thing into a bear if it's charging and if it's just making noise I can fire the snake round into the ground to try and spook it. Or just shoot a snake, obviously.

>>34395726
>You are probably autistic.
Oh yes. That's why I have to ask.
>Owning a compact firearm that can kill an attacking bear is not.
That's a relief.
>Snake shot is stupid though. Unless you need to kill a snake or something.
Snakes can kill me as dead as a bear can.
>You really have to piss off a snake to get attacked and at that point you probably deserve it.
Well I might offend one somehow and would rather have it and not need it than the other thing.
>The solution to all those things then is a compact shotgun with slugs, buckshot, and birdshot.
So like the Mossberg Shockwave? It's kinda unwieldly, I think could probably draw a revolver from my pack a hell of a lot faster.
>Do not get one of the shotgun revolver gimmicks, they are ass-flavored shit range toys.
Do you mean the .410 revolvers or a revolving shotgun? Either way I never considered it.
>If all of those are too heavy or big then the huge revolver is the next choice.
I do fancy the huge revolver. Huge frame that is, thinking 4"-6" bbl.
>Know that people have killed bears with 9mm pistols
Is that really something one could do reliably with good enough aim?
>>
I lived next to an Alaska park ranger. He had an impressive array of rifles and handguns, and showed me his edc, a .44 mag. Its only distinct features was that the front sight was filled down. When I asked why the Ranger responded with; "Why, so it doesn't hurt so bad when the bear shoves the barrel up my ass after Ive shot him with it."
>>
>>34395855
Just fucking spill your spaghetti at them when they ask if you are poaching. It'll be obvious you're just a moron trying not to get eaten by bears.

Snake shot and rat shot are silly. Just avoid the snakes. The odds of you stumbling into a snake that wants to bite, drawing and making a shot is so small that you may as well do it with a bear load than risk shooting a bear with what equates to pocket sand.
>>
Noob here, up in some burr territory when I get out next month for some shooting and fun in the woods.

Would a hot load 10mm be good enough for having a shot at self defense against a bear? I can get a good deal on builk 10mm ammunition at the moment, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to graduate to a big ass lever gun or something else that I'd have to lug on my back
>>
>>34395855
the .410 revolvers, they do several things but very poorly. Even with 410 birdshot you can barely hit anything with it at a safe distance because the barrel is maybe an inch long with the shell loaded.

The only huge revolver I've used is the Ruger red hawk alaskan in .454. It's chunky and compact, but the barrel on that model is too small. If a bear is already charging you then several bad things have occurred and the bear will not stop until you stop moving. Hitting it with a bullet might spook it more than firing into a nearby rock and hitting yourself with ricocheted pellets. Shooting a bear in the eyes that is running in a straight line at you in under 5 seconds is not something I would attempt voluntarily.
>>
>>34395945
Better than most pistol calibers. Worse than almost any rifle round.

Convenience vs efficiency.
>>
>>34395861
>>34395922
So basically just give up on the revolver entirely?

>>34395996
I was considering this one, the Alaskan Toklat. It looks a bit silly but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a Freedom Arms custom.
What do you think, just sling a shotgun over my shoulder and get glared at by Ranger Smith?
>>
>>34396037
Right. Guess I will see how I feel about carrying a full rifle, I can probably borrow one to test the weight. Thanks.
>>
>>34395607
This thread reminds me.

2 weeks ago I was hiking and came up on the ass end of a adult black bear about 15 yards down the trail from me.

I had heard him grunt so I was approaching sloq and quite, his ass was to me and he didn't notice me, I NOPED out and bailed on the trail.

I had a 9mm with 147 grain subsonic FMJ Speer Lawman ammo, it wasn't very comforting.
>>
>>34396069
.454 Casull is GOAT. If you can find it, a Toklat is the way to go.
>>
>>34395607
Colbert, you're drunk, go home.
>>
>>34395607
Glock20, gives you 16 rounds of a decent caliber and is abkur 1/3 as heavy as any "big bore" revolver
>>
>>34396440
And is about* I don't know what phone keyboards do sometimes.

Also the g20 can be had for hella cheaper than a decent revolver, and gear for them is inexpensive, because all g21 holster and such will fit the 20
>>
>>34395607
Glock .40 with a 30 round mag
>>
File: image.png (162KB, 1200x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
162KB, 1200x194px
>>34395607
I would just use my 12 gauge 870 loaded with slugs. I think 5 shots from that would put just about anything down, at least I hope.
>>
File: IMG_9798.jpg (175KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9798.jpg
175KB, 800x500px
>>34395945
10mm 200gr FMJ (DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore) is essentially the bare minimum recommended bear defense ammo. It out-performs over other conventional pistol rounds but you're still better off with an AK pistol. Like that other anon said, a good 10mm load will do the job but a rifle round will put you at better odds.

But if you think only 6 rounds of .44 mag in your hands will stop a Grizzly, watch this video and remember that this guy is on a mountain bike and still doesn't get a good opportunity to take a good shot until it's almost too late. Capacity helps when shot placement is hard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=noCWtagaDJQ
>>
>>34396538
vid is fake
>>
>>34396538
>not "bear minimum"
God damn it anon.
>>
>>34395607
>Are bear guns autism?
why would you give bears guns? are you out of your mind?
>>
Get a dessert deagle POINT 5 0
More like "point 5 0 my gawd!" Said paddington bear.
>>
>>34395607
alaskan guy killed a charging grizzly with 15 rounds of 5.45x39 from an AK-74
>>
>>34395726
buckshot is weak ass bullshit that won't have the penetration necessary to reach bear internals
>>
>>34398773
>buckshot is weak ass bullshit that won't have the penetration necessary to reach bear internals
that's wrong. the heart of the bear is so close to the skin you can reach it with a swiss army knife.
>>
If you're cornered by a starving grizzly and you have only a small caliber pistol, would you do it?
>>
>>34398773
it has 12-16 inches of penetration
00 can go up to 20 inches will reach all the bears vitals conveniently
>>
If it's a handgun you're after, I can't tell you what to do, but know that guides on bear hunting trips tend towards rifles in .375 H&H, or you might see some who favor shorter lever guns in more heavily forested areas. A buddy of mine went hunting in Alaska, and told me the guide had a lever gun in .30-30. Doesn't sound like much, but it brings me to my next point:
Bears are not heavily armored, and given sufficient reaction time, anything 30-calibre will do. In a pinch with an angry bear charging you out of nowhere, I'd say a handy (read: short) lever action or straight pull rifle would be your best bet. If you can carry and control something equally handy in semi auto, all the better!
>>
>>34398905
statistically you get one shot at a bear charging you. maybe two. unless you go full auto from an assault rifle. so the action of the gun is irrelevant.
>>
>>34395607
Apparently 75gr Tap out of an AR will drop most north American bears.

Source: it's been used around our camp grounds for whenever one gets too aggressive and close. 3 shots and it's usually down and dying or dead. Meat tastes better the further from humanity it feeds, guessing because they don't forage as much trash.
>>
>>34395607
Why not just use Bear spray? I understand that is very effective.
>>
>>34399231
or... make a gun that shoots canisters of bear spray!
>>
>>34399245
Just use of of those AR15 'can cannon' uppers.
>>
>>34396538
that vid looks fake and gay dude, bear doesn't look right.
>>
>>34395607
45-70.
>>
>>34399756
Hot loaded .50-110.
>>
>>34395607
snake guns and bear guns are a meme for faggots who go into the outdoors without understanding nature

there is literally no scenario where you would need to shoot an attacking snake. if you are aware of the snakes presence you can avoid it, and if it catches you by surprise, its already bitten you and if not you can still avoid it, so shooting it isnt going to do much good.

bear defense is not a meme, but using a gun for it is. if a bear is at the point where its going to attack you, there are far more effective deterrents like bear spray. i mean feel free to plug away 6 rounds of 44 magnum but if you happen to fuck up and miss the CNS or the bullets bounce off his skull, he is killing you anyway

when out in the woods id be much more scared of sketchy humans, and rather have a high capacity 9mm to deal with possible criminals or predators of a 2 leg nature. depending on your state, especially with all the narco mexicans operating in the middle of nowhere
>>
>>34400138
>using a gun to defend against a rampaging bear is a meme but a $40 one-time-use spray can totally works guys

I'll stick with 12 Gauge bear bangers and slugs, thanks.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.