[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mossberg 500 VS Remington 870

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: MossbergVsRemington.jpg (9KB, 401x155px) Image search: [Google]
MossbergVsRemington.jpg
9KB, 401x155px
I'm in the market for a shotgun. Can't choose between these two. Which gun and which sku is best? Is Wingmaster worth it over Express same with 590A1 over 500.
Budget: $600
Purpose: Home defense and shooting range
>>
>>34394371
If you've got money for the 590A1, you might as well buy one.
It's pretty neat.
>>
>>34394371
The Mossberg is a better design and is better made at the low end of the price range.

The 590 is more robust than any Remington, if you can afford one, buy one.
>>
>>34394371
The general consensus is to go with the mossberg, but its more about personal preferance. The main differences are the location of the safety and the slide release, most would agree that the mossberg has both in a better position, the mossberg also has an aluminium receiver, remington has a steel receiver. Mossberg has a loose action purposely to help with reliability, remington has a tighter, more solid feeling action. Another thing to note is that the extractor cannot be replaced on the remington if it fails
>>
>>34394371
Mossberg all the way.
I love my 870 for hunting, but a 500 is a better gun.
>>
I have a Remington 870 express. If I could go back and do it again I would get the mossberg. I've put a few hundred shells through my 870 without issue but all the Problems with Remington right now I wouldn't feel comfortable buying another Remington product. I feel like I got lucky.
>>
File: 1475220807950.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475220807950.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
>>34394390
>>34394413
>>34394420
>>34394435
>>34394457
Op here. Might just be confirmation bias but as a novice I'm glad to know I came to same conclusion. Looks like I'm getting the 590A1 or maybe just the 500 with an aftermarket trigger guard and pocketing the change. TBD.
>>
>>34394476
what about a benelli nova
>>
>>34394505
There are more fun and cool parts for Remington and Mossberg.

They are nice shotguns though.
>>
>>34394476
I forgot to mention earlier that my 870 also likes to get little rust spots anytime I go duck or geese hunting over water. Mossbergs don't.
After a good oil down they go away, but it still sucks. I can't bitch though because I got the gun off a trade for $50.
>>
>>34394371
mossberg because the controls are at the right place
>>
>>34394413
>The 590 is more robust than any Remington
There is absolutely nothing more robust about the 590's design, the Mossbergs are simply safer bets these days when buying new thanks to Remington's post-Cerberus quality control in recent years. No Mossberg has shit on a non-defective 870 from a durability or reliability standpoint though.

>>34394420
>Another thing to note is that the extractor cannot be replaced on the remington if it fails
Sure it can. You mean the ejector, and though it's a pain in the ass it's not impossible to do yourself. The Mossberg design is definitely superior in this one regard though, no arguing that.
>>
what about the Maverick 88; any downsides?
>>
The Mossberg's controls are better and the loading gate can't bite you. It has two (2) extractors and a twist snap resistant pump. It uses a lightweight aluminum receiver. You don't have to agonize over serials to find one from before Remington's decline.
The Remington has a secure pump many people prefer because it feels solid, but the Muhreens showed it can shear clean off if you twist it hard with Hulk smash adrenaline. It uses a heavier, but stronger steel receiver. It has a slightly larger aftermarket.

>>34394639
>No Mossberg has shit on a non-defective 870 from a durability or reliability standpoint though.
You're living in the past, old man. Materials science has evolved since Remington was last good. Cerberus/Freedom Goys was the last straw, they were going downhill long before then.
>>
>>34394658
>You're living in the past, old man. Materials science has evolved since Remington was last good
No, materials science hasn't really evolved much at all over the last decade as far as pump action shotguns are concerned you assbabbling 19 year old faggot.
>>
>>34394371
>>34394476
wish you'd decide already. after three threads in the last month you should have enough fucking input by now.
>op = faggot
>>
Whichever one you choose on getting, make sure you get an 18 inch barrel and short LOP stock like the magpul one. A shorter stock helps with getting behind the gun and absorbing the recoil more effectively, a huge benefit for defensive shotgun use. The safety placement should also be a consideration to take as some people prefer the Mossberg's.

Would strongly recommend checking out Luckygunner's articles on both guns along with reading some stuff by Steve Fisher.

>completely disregard my post because I didn't tell you what to get or anything
>>
File: 1471856157154.jpg (268KB, 850x1137px) Image search: [Google]
1471856157154.jpg
268KB, 850x1137px
>>34394699
This is my first time visiting this board in almost a year. But yes I should've imagined this thread comes up every time someone wants a shotgun. Along with the OG content dreamfag comment.
>>
>Ratchet vs. Clank

The 590 if you want a sturdy security shotgun, the A1 if you want to pay more for the heavier military grade version. They are high capacity and reliable.

The Wingmaster if you want an incredibly smooth actioned field and game shotgun with a good stock and parts that don't rattle. The shortest Wingmaster barrel is 25", which is a bit much for HD (I had one with a 28" barrel for years). They also have lower capacity. If you want to the equivalent Remington to the 590 then find a police 870 magnum. The high-end expensive as shit Remingtons are still high quality but take your money elsewhere if you want to drop $500+. There are plenty of good brands but anything imported will have a restricted magazine capacity because of some retarded import laws.
>>
File: _20170621_183529.jpg (2MB, 4320x1880px) Image search: [Google]
_20170621_183529.jpg
2MB, 4320x1880px
Mossberg has a shitton of options for other uses, but just for HD and shooting shit, a lot are unimportant. It does allow you to Branch out in the future, tho. Picrelated 28" field barrel, 24" scoped rifled slug barrel, 18.5" security barrel, and 24" .50 muzzleloader barrel. Also came with pistol grip for added shenanigans. Slug barrel shoots 3" groups at 100 yards w/ 385gr sabot slugs.

>>34394652
No, it's just rough. I think they moved the safety from the tang to the trigger guard, which is objectively worse, but not sure. In general, it's a slightly lower build quality, but mostly compatible with your generic 5+1 500.
>>
870 question!!:
Will a wingmaster barrel or standard 870 barrel fit my 870 express supermagnum reciever??
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.