[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lasers. Seriously though.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

Could cheap, shitty lasers be used to help deny air superiority?
I read an article years ago about people using cheap lasers and damaging the eyes of pilots.
Could cheap lasers be used en masse by a force to fuck with the vision of pilots?
Think of a laser spam essentially.
>>
File: 1472629262459.jpg (68KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1472629262459.jpg
68KB, 500x750px
not anymore. They are training pilots to fly with their eyes close now....
>>
Lasers like the one pictured are < 5 mW. At that power, a person's blink reflex is sufficient to protect them from eye damage.

Also, military pilots and/or aircraft may be fitted with laser safety glass.

Also, have you ever tried to hold a laser pointer steady on something just a few meters away? Good luck hitting an aircraft, let alone the cockpit.
>>
Yes, lasers have been applied like this for a while. Wicked Lasers used to make a 100mW laser with a focusing lens, called the Photonic Disruptor. Here's a video from their channel, which shows a clip from Futureweapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn_hMCTS2Eg

Good luck aiming it at a plane's cockpit and blinding the pilot successfully.
>>
File: 1474246222443.gif (4MB, 217x272px) Image search: [Google]
1474246222443.gif
4MB, 217x272px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjaW3QM2Nb8
>>
>>34393993
During the riots in Ukraine, projectors and shit from clubs were taken and a bunch of lasers were shined on Russian and riot police vehicles. Anyone remember that? I watched it all on several streams.
>>
File: 1460860764929.png (76KB, 249x250px) Image search: [Google]
1460860764929.png
76KB, 249x250px
>Be in a airshow
>Our airforce is showing their secondhand F-15s/F-16s fuck if I know
>Be a kid and have a laser
>They are flying really close to earth
>Shine it in
>MFW pilot fucks ups the landing and plane gets totaled

Why the fuck not op
>>
Theoretically it could be used on infantry, too. The ultimate area denial weapon is a laser turret with a camera and some software that allows the laser to blind hundreds of infantry per minute.
>>
>>34393993
the DPRK used a laser to try and blind an apache pilot, so it is a hazard.
>>
>>34394849
>lying on the internet
>>
Licensed pilot here, commercial fixed wing and rotorcraft. The answer is no, because lasers don't actually "blind pilots." It's maybe possible to momentarily distract a pilot with one of the higher powered lasers, but it wouldn't be easy. Hell, it's hard to hold one steady enough to fuck with your buddy across the soccer field. This is a meme that gained traction during one of the many law enforcement "moral panic" series of articles about threats facing national security and police safety that pop up every so often.

Here's how it works in 99% of cases where laser use is documented:
-pilot notices dumb kid pointing a laser pointer at a plane on the tarmac or a LEO helicopter that's doing its usual circling an area looking for pot/suspect.
-Pilot isn't affected but is pissy about it because fuck you, kid, it's illegal, and calls it in.
-Overreactive ATC or pilot may cause plane to "divert to avoid risk to aircraft and crew" (yes, the same lame shit that escalates a snarky comment by a frustrated passenger to a flight attendant into a "reason" to return to the gate or divert the aircraft).
-Every agency with a remote connection to jurisdiction gets involved and treats it like a terrorist incident, helps justify their budget. City police, county sheriff, any alphabet agency with a local presence responds in force like it's 9/11, and any agency without a local presence contributes to the subsequent "investigation".
-Media outlets report on the developing story, news goes national.
-No aircraft ever goes down, no pilot ever needs ER treatment, but the populace learns a little more about fucking with anything the Feds have jurisdiction over, and some kid who was just doing the bored and stupid shit that kids do is put through the Federal court system as an example.

Ever wonder why ISIS isn't buying up high power laser pointers on Amazon to eliminate the threat of airstrikes and helicopter resupply? Yeah, because it's nonsense and wouldn't fucking work.
>>
>>34395364
>thinking this was meant to be perceived as true

You shouldn't take the 4chins this seriously anon
>>
>>34395824
Thanks for a great answer!
>>
>be anon in war zone
>see fighter
>shine laser at fighter
>jet flying level so laser doesn't reach pilot
>pilot sees anon with sniper pod
>GBU-12 heads anon's way
>>
File: my laser pointer.gif (3MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
my laser pointer.gif
3MB, 320x180px
I know some people EDC flashlights but I just keep this on my keychain.
>>
>>34393993
It's an interesting idea, but you would be exposing yourself to shine it and it would probably be within strike range if you can make visual contact and get the laser on it.
>>
>>34393993
If it's low enough for your shitty laser to reach it that's a great way to get locked on by it.

The only worse idea you could have is try that with a heli instead.
>>
>>34395824
>treats it like a terrorist incident, helps justify their budget

If this isnt the realest fucking shit
>>
Buy NVGs and a PEQ 2 or PEQ 15. Really do some damage.
>>
>>34393993
Pretty sure that violates the Geneva convention
>>
>>34394843
>Russian vehicles

I'm sorry, sir, but Belgians are not allowed on this board
>>
>>34393993
>Fookin laser sights
>>
>>34400040
>international law
>asymmetric conflict
pick one
>>
>>34393993
dude green laser pointer flash mobs

fund it
>>
>>34395824
This guys knows it. And if it worked then those lame ISIS fucks would be at it. Instead they are using amazon to buy cheap drones to dangle genades off of..
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.